2019-2020 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-Virginia)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got a VCOM Louisiana II ! Did anyone else receive a second email asking if we received the invite email?? Should I be concerned that the II was a mistake?

I got II today as well but did not get a second email. Give them a call if you are worried- maybe they just wanted to make sure it doesn't go into junk.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many did they say was going to be in their first class?
Did they speak about rotations?
They said they were aiming for 150 seats. They have some rotations already set up for us and are looking into more. Should be sorted out by the time we get to that point (I'm hoping)

To all of the people that don't want to go to Louisiana, I encourage you to re-think that! I just had an interview there and it was awesome! It was intimate with only 9 total candidates, the campus was BEAUTIFUL, and it really had a family/community-like feel. I would be honored to be accepted here! Don't knock it until you try it unless you have a super good reason to want the other locations.
Hey do you minds sharing how was the interview like for VCOM Louisiana? Open/ closed? MMI/ tradition? Ethical/ healthcare questions? 1 on 1 interview one or two ?

Ahhh gotcha, I mean hey I am not 100% sure that is what happens but that is what I have heard and seen. You might be able to contact the Virginia campus and see if this is accurate information?? I am sorry that you aren't the biggest fan of Louisiana.

It looks like you have been accepted to 2 other DO programs already? Congratulations!! Is VCOM a top choice for you?
It was except that I just got accepted to my state school this morning so am turning down acceptances at other places. Best of luck to everyone on this cycle!

Reactions: 3 users
I must be the only one applying so late because I went from Completed on Monday to secondary invitation last night! I know it’s only one step of the staircase but I’m stoked boiiii

Reactions: 1 user
I must be the only one applying so late because I went from Completed on Monday to secondary invitation last night! I know it’s only one step of the staircase but I’m stoked boiiii
I am working on vcom secondary now. You are not alone

Interviewing at Virginia Campus on 11/14. was anyone asked about the healthcare system? like medicaid, medicare and ACA stuff?

Application complete: Oct 4, II: Oct 22.

Anyone complete mid July and still haven’t heard anything?

Reactions: 1 users
To all of the people that don't want to go to Louisiana, I encourage you to re-think that! I just had an interview there and it was awesome! It was intimate with only 9 total candidates, the campus was BEAUTIFUL, and it really had a family/community-like feel. I would be honored to be accepted here! Don't knock it until you try it unless you have a super good reason to want the other locations.
Did they give you any information about their clinical sites?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did they give you any information about their clinical sites?
Hello, I have similar stats like yours. If you dont mind answering, which school did you get acceptance from?

Interviewing at Virginia Campus on 11/14. was anyone asked about the healthcare system? like medicaid, medicare and ACA stuff?

Application complete: Oct 4, II: Oct 22.
During my interview, one of my interviewers asked me about end of life care. Like, the fact that the majority of healthcare costs are typically within the last two-years of a person's life. While not directly related to medicare/Medicaid, my answer revolved around that.

One interviewer (same one) was all about asking ethical questions, so be prepared to answer about the opioid crisis, POA, end of life care, euthanasia, and universal healthcare (challenges AND benefits).

Of note, I also learned that during the interview, this is the largest group of applications that VCOM has ever received. They normally have ~5000, but this year they have around ~6000, so if you're in limbo, just hold tight!

My stats for those wondering:

Primary sent 6/29. VCOM secondary sent to me 7/01. I finished and sent back 9/06 (a lot of stuff prevented me from sending earlier and I did not pre-write which, in hindsight, was very stupid of me).

Interview invite 9/11. I interviewed 10/04. Accepted 10/17.

From rural SWVA. Virginia Tech Alumni. Two planned gap years, on my third unplanned.

Half ORM, half caucasian.

MCAT: 506 (126/124/128/128)

cGPA: 3.89, sGPA: 3.92

Clinical exposure: 3000+ hours of EM scribing over my two gap years. Current Chief Scribe. 50ish hours shadowing primary care (FM, internal med).

No research or desire to do so.

Clinical volunteering: 150ish hours in outpatient oncology. 350ish hours as a general transport volunteer/info desk.

Non-clinical volunteering: Mostly church related like community service/youth leader, but have other various community oriented/outreach projects I helped start and complete. Total sum of about 1000+ hours over 5 years.

Two VCOM alumni letters. Two Virginia Tech letters.

Strong desire to do rural medicine.

Dumb question: 30 minutes total or 30 min each = 1.5 hours?
30 each, 1.5 hours total. So the interviewer comes and grabs you, interviews you for 30, takes you back to the conference room, and then the next one grabs you shortly after.

Does that make sense?

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats! I interviewed on 11/4 it was super laid back and Blacksburg is beautiful!
I couldn't agree more!!! Loved the interview day and the area is awesome! I enjoyed the school as well and thought the facilities were impressive!

Reactions: 2 users
I
When did you complete?
completed back in July. I actually got an II in mid-October for the LA campus but I called and asked to be considered for VA only. They reviewed my app and invited me :D

hi you guys so I'm super confused. I went on the vcom portal just to check the status of my application and saw an interview tab. I haven't received an interview invite email or call/text. not sure if I should go ahead and submit the interview update form. help thx
I know I should give them a call but its sunday lol so they're probably closed and I'm growing restless by the minute.

I'm currently writing an update letter to post onto my portal. Does anyone know who I should address it to, especially if you applied to their other locations as well?

I'm currently writing an update letter to post onto my portal. Does anyone know who I should address it to, especially if you applied to their other locations as well?
I would either address it to VCOM admissions or if you want to specifically update VCOM-VA I would address Lisa Leichner!

Had everything submitted late September thinking I was complete, but I just got the complete email today, LOL!

The campus was beautiful. Everything is like state of the art. They are building new apartments on campus that they are strongly suggesting that the med students consider. We didn't get to see the inside of the building, but we were encouraged to come back when it's done (they said by the end of December). The town is safe and nice, while a little run down. You can tell there isn't much money there, but it's still nice if that makes sense. The faculty are very open and candid about wanting their class to feel like family. They will do everything in their power to encourage that, but they said ultimately it's up to us! Hope that helps.
Hi! I know it has been a bit since you posted this, but did they mention the cost of living in these apartments?

Interview tomorrow but I caught a cold (runny nose), would it look bad to reschedule now?

Interview tomorrow but I caught a cold (runny nose), would it look bad to reschedule now?

On my invite it said if you have flu like symptoms you could call to reschedule. I’d probably just take a nasal congestion medicine. I don’t think it would look bad though

complete august 19th, and radio silence, am I the only one in this boat?

Reactions: 2 users
Same here! I wonder what happened. Hopefully being complete so late doesn't affect our chances :arghh:
I'm not sure, but I would not look too much into it. If they like our applications then they like it, if they don't they don't. Unfortunately there's not much else, but I wish you the best of luck though!

I got accepted to VCOM LA, does anyone know when the DO letter is due by and how to submit it AACOMAS or email?

On my invite it said if you have flu like symptoms you could call to reschedule. I’d probably just take a nasal congestion medicine. I don’t think it would look bad though
Thanks, I attended anyway and it was fine. The interview was super low stress and very conversational.

does anyone know when the committee meets to make decisions after the interview?

does anyone know when the committee meets to make decisions after the interview?

Not sure I interviewed on the 4th and they said it would be within 3 weeks that we would know.

Yeah they said up to 3 weeks after the interview they would be sending out decisions. I happened to go right before they met so I got my decision within 1 week, but I believe that it varies depending on when you interview

Yeah they said up to 3 weeks after the interview they would be sending out decisions. I happened to go right before they met so I got my decision within 1 week, but I believe that it varies depending on when you interview
when did you interview?

Hey all! I was complete at VCOM in August and have yet to hear back especially since I am not part of the "target states," so I do understand why it's taking longer for me to hear from them. I just want to know what my chances of getting an II are as a Filipino (which VCOM considers URM) who lives in the west coast. GPA is 3.7 and I have sub-500 MCATs. Thanks!

Hey all! I was complete at VCOM in August and have yet to hear back especially since I am not part of the "target states," so I do understand why it's taking longer for me to hear from them. I just want to know what my chances of getting an II are as a Filipino (which VCOM considers URM) who lives in the west coast. GPA is 3.7 and I have sub-500 MCATs. Thanks!
Hey dont worry. I'm from their target state and I still havent heard back. Was done in july. They are probably prioritizing with higher mcats. I also have sub 500. Hopefully we'll hear back once they are done prioritizing

when did you interview?
It was a while ago so I might be wrong, but I believe it was August 24th??? that weekend. It was a saturday I know that much for sure haha. I just don't remember the exact date.