2019-2020 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-Virginia)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
VCOM says they may take up to one month to respond after an interview, does anyone know if they respond faster for accepted students and slower for WL/R??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
VCOM says they may take up to one month to respond after an interview, does anyone know if they respond faster for accepted students and slower for WL/R??
I do not know if there is a difference between accepted and rejected/WL students. I think it depends on how close you are to when the committee meets to interview. I heard back after my interview about 5 days later!

has anyone who Interviewed in the past month heard from them yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!! Interviewed on 11/04!

Reactions: 3 users
do you mind sharing your stats?

LM 67, not a bunch of shadowing experience about 200 hours of MD shadowing(most of my patient interaction was spent volunteering in the hospital not actually shadowing), tons of medically relevant research though about 5000 hours with 4 coauthored publications.

Members don't see this ad :)
interviewing at VCOM VA in december. Which airport should I fly into/what is the best way to reach Blacksburg?

The Roanoke airport is only 45 mins from Blacksburg and there is a shuttle that you can take between the two places, but this airport is also usually a lot more expensive to fly into because it's a regional airport. The next closest airports that will save you $$ on flights are Charlotte and Richmond, which are both 3-3.5 hours away, so you'd have to rent a car. The shuttle is called the Smart Way Bus and it goes from the Roanoke airport to multiple places in Blacksburg (including a stop at VCOM and a stop on VT's campus that is walking distance from a hotel and a <$5 uber from multiple other hotels). If you can afford the increased flight price into Roanoke, that's def the best way to do it. There are hardly ever any lines at the airport since it's so small and it's incredibly easy to navigate, which can save you time during quick interview travel. Message me if you have any questions about getting around in the area, and good luck on the interview:giggle:

Got the complete email yesterday and was offered an interview today!

Also, if I’m interviewing on the first week of December, what are the chances that VCOM will get back to me prior to the traffic deadline for deposit (12/14)?

Also, if I’m interviewing on the first week of December, what are the chances that VCOM will get back to me prior to the traffic deadline for deposit (12/14)?
Wats ur mcat score

When did you submit your secondary?

Anyone here got accepted and need a letter from a DO? Is it 30 days after getting the phone call or after sending a signed letter with the deposit for the deadline?

Anyone here got accepted and need a letter from a DO? Is it 30 days after getting the phone call or after sending a signed letter with the deposit for the deadline?

30 days after the phone call but you can get it extended

Anyone that already interviewed able to tell me the interview format? Is it one-on-one like it is stated on the choosedo website? ChooseDO Website for VCOM I interview tomorrow and would let to know to brace myself as the old SDN questions imply multiple interviewers; hence my confusion.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Anyone that already interview able to tell me the interview format? Is it one-on-one like it is stated on the choosedo website? ChooseDO Website for VCOM I interview tomorrow and would let to know to brace myself as the old SDN questions imply multiple interviewers; hence my confusion.

You will have 3 one on one interviews!

Anyone that already interview able to tell me the interview format? Is it one-on-one like it is stated on the choosedo website? ChooseDO Website for VCOM I interview tomorrow and would let to know to brace myself as the old SDN questions imply multiple interviewers; hence my confusion.

3 one on one interviews. Each are 30 minutes long. The interview was very laid back, and not stressful. I would look over the SDN interview questions for preparation material, they were very similar in my interview.

II just now, but I declined! Hopefully, it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 3 users
Apologies bkMDfRC but I think you are misinformed. I thought the same until I spoke with admissions. I also interviewed there recently. They explicitly said they operate on a percentage system NOT letter grades. 70% is passing. If you get a 80% in a course then that is what is shown on your transcript. NOT a letter grade. Their reasoning was that it helps the students determine their weak subjects for standardized test review - USMLE and COMLEX. Not a big fan of that as I assumed that breeds competition. Although the students complained of extra stress, they find it is manageable.

The administration and students emphasize they are still very collaborative not really cutthroat.

Wishing you all the best.

Last edited:
Apologies bkMDfRC but I think you are misinformed. I thought the same until I spoke with admissions. I also interviewed there recently. They explicitly said they operate on a percentage system NOT letter grades. 70% is passing. If you get a 80% in a course then that is what is shown on your transcript. NOT a letter grade. Their reasoning was that it helps the students determine their weak subjects for standardized test review - USMLE and COMLEX. Not a big fan of that as I assumed that breeds competition. Although the students complained of extra stress, they find it is manageable.

The administration and students emphasize they are still very collaborative not really cutthroat.

Wishing you all the best.
This is very interesting because I was told it was graded. Plus the student handbook says it is graded as of July 2019. Let's hope they are changing it to percentage system.

Reactions: 1 users
Apologize in advance if this was answered already, I am new here. Typically how long until interview day do you hear back?

For those who interviewed last week, they said expect a decision either today or tomorrow! Keeping my phone close because they call you if accepted.

Got the phone call 20 min ago. I am admitted!! So excited for VCOM :)

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted! Interviewed last week. They are fast! Unfortunately, I probably won't attend because of other offers received.

Congrats everyone who received an offer!