2019-2020 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-Virginia)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i called and asked. You are only considered for one campus and only that campus. You can switch by directly calling the campus you want to be considered at.
How accomodating are they in terms of being able/willing to switch interview locations? I got an interview invite at Louisiana but really want to try for Auburn or Virginia

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if it is possible to switch interview locations? I have been invited and accepted an interview in Louisiana, but really want to go to Auburn or Virginia.

Anyone know if it is possible to switch interview locations? I have been invited and accepted an interview in Louisiana, but really want to go to Auburn or Virginia.

They interview separately as far as I know, so I don’t believe you can request for another campus. However, you could still be invited to interview for those other campuses.

Reactions: 1 user
They interview separately as far as I know, so I don’t believe you can request for another campus. However, you could still be invited to interview for those other campuses.
so you are saying that it is possible to get multiple interviews at multiple vcom branches?

so you are saying that it is possible to get multiple interviews at multiple vcom branches?

Unless it said somewhere specifically in the secondary that you would only be considered for interview at one campus, then it should be a possibility. Thats how i remember it, and it was like that for PCOM as well. Hopefully someone else can elaborate on it just in case.

You will only get a VCOM interview at a single campus and will only be considered for that campus. They do their best based on your ranking of campus preference. Since you were invited to Louisiana, you will no longer be considered for any of the other campuses.

Reactions: 1 users
You will only get a VCOM interview at a single campus and will only be considered for that campus. They do their best based on your ranking of campus preference. Since you were invited to Louisiana, you will no longer be considered for any of the other campuses.
is it possible to request to change to another campus? or be placed on an interview waitlist for that campus?

Hey Guys!

I was complete around the end of July, but havent heard back yet. This is my number 1 choice as of now, and I already have 2 acceptances with deposits due in December, so I am hoping to have an interview with VCOM before that. Has anyone else also not heard back? Have they done a hand full of interviews already? Basically I am trying to see if this might be a silent rejection. I also reached out to Lisa Leichner but I haven't heard back quite yet.

Stats: 500 MCAT, 3.58 CGPA, 3.49 SGPA, strong letters of recommendation and clinical/research experiences. Currently working as a research assistant for the head of sports medicine at UMD.
Where else did you get accepted??

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys!

I was complete around the end of July, but havent heard back yet. This is my number 1 choice as of now, and I already have 2 acceptances with deposits due in December, so I am hoping to have an interview with VCOM before that. Has anyone else also not heard back? Have they done a hand full of interviews already? Basically I am trying to see if this might be a silent rejection. I also reached out to Lisa Leichner but I haven't heard back quite yet.

Stats: 500 MCAT, 3.58 CGPA, 3.49 SGPA, strong letters of recommendation and clinical/research experiences. Currently working as a research assistant for the head of sports medicine at UMD.
I would not. There are many other exceptionally qualified candidates that are waiting on interview offers that were completed at the time you were or even before. It comes across as impatient and would only dampen your image. They will eventually get around to your file.

Hey Guys!

I haven't heard back either and I have similar stats to you, they interview into next year, so I am sure they have many more interview invites to give out!

Did VCOM call y’all to schedule an interview? I missed a call today from VCOM and didn’t see that until late (oops), but no details were left other than a callback number. I can’t think of any other reason they would call lol, I just figured an email would be sent.

Did VCOM call y’all to schedule an interview? I missed a call today from VCOM and didn’t see that until late (oops), but no details were left other than a callback number. I can’t think of any other reason they would call lol, I just figured an email would be sent.

I got an email!

I got an email. The only phone call I received from them was for an acceptance, but I think I remember them saying that they call people for all decisions (but this might only be for people that have interviewed).

Reactions: 2 users

I got an email

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I got an email

It was actually VCOM Lousiana that called me. I only ranked Virginia as the campus I was considering, but since I'm from a more southern state(although target state), he said that VCOM-Va had given my name to him.. I told him I was only interested in Va... But now I feel like I might be rejected simply because I do know they have a regional bias and they passed my name along. *sigh*

It was actually VCOM Lousiana that called me. I only ranked Virginia as the campus I was considering, but since I'm from a more southern state(although target state), he said that VCOM-Va had given my name to him.. I told him I was only interested in Va... But now I feel like I might be rejected simply because I do know they have a regional bias and they passed my name along. *sigh*

Hmm, is the location of VA significant to you? I’m sure you can make your case if you gather your points. If not, definitely take the interview. Do not lose hope ever in this process

I agree with some of the other responses. Although the location might not be ideal for you, unless you already have other acceptances and are not interested in VCOM at all I would take the interview. Interviews are hard to come by in this process and giving one up based on location preference could be something you regret. Is the distance your main issue with the Louisiana campus?

To all of the people that don't want to go to Louisiana, I encourage you to re-think that! I just had an interview there and it was awesome! It was intimate with only 9 total candidates, the campus was BEAUTIFUL, and it really had a family/community-like feel. I would be honored to be accepted here! Don't knock it until you try it unless you have a super good reason to want the other locations.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
To all of the people that don't want to go to Louisiana, I encourage you to re-think that! I just had an interview there and it was awesome! It was intimate with only 9 total candidates, the campus was BEAUTIFUL, and it really had a family/community-like feel. I would be honored to be accepted here! Don't knock it until you try it unless you have a super good reason to want the other locations.
Wait you interviewed in Louisiana or for people that want to go to LA they interview at VA?

Congrats on the interview! Can you talk a bit about the campus. On the live feed its not even finished yet so I was a bit concerned. What is the town like that its in? What did they say was the vision for their first class?

Hello all! Interviewed 10/4. I was called for my interview invite. Haven't heard back yet. They call for acceptances as well and send emails for Rs/WLs (stated during the interview), so literally every time I recieve an email I feel like I'm stepping around landmines lol.

They said during my interview that you are only interviewing for one campus. As far as WL for another campus, I'm uncertain. I have a friend that took the MA they offer. She was accepted to Carolinas, but she deferred a year to be WL at VA, so I assume there may be some leeway there perhaps? Definitely contact admissions; they're super sweet and helpful people!

I spoke too soon -- I was called just a few moments ago! Accepted to the class of 2024!!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Congrats on the interview! Can you talk a bit about the campus. On the live feed its not even finished yet so I was a bit concerned. What is the town like that its in? What did they say was the vision for their first class?
The campus was beautiful. Everything is like state of the art. They are building new apartments on campus that they are strongly suggesting that the med students consider. We didn't get to see the inside of the building, but we were encouraged to come back when it's done (they said by the end of December). The town is safe and nice, while a little run down. You can tell there isn't much money there, but it's still nice if that makes sense. The faculty are very open and candid about wanting their class to feel like family. They will do everything in their power to encourage that, but they said ultimately it's up to us! Hope that helps.

Congrats! Will you be attending?

Yes, without a doubt.

While I disliked the idea of mandatory attendance and dress code at first, I was reassurred that it's really not that bad. The first years explained to me that the you just have to be in your seat for the 80% mandatory attendance and said most people study during this time. They then watch the lectures from any of the four campuses later. Not 100% ideal, but I don't mind going to class anyway. Also, they said that business casual is a minimum of a polo and khakis which is literally what I wear like every day.

I absolutely love VCOM and the area. I went to Virginia Tech for undergrad and have lived in SWVA for most of my life, so I might be biased here (lol), but the area truly is home for me. So I'm happy to live here for at least four more years!

If anyone has any questions about the area, I'm more than willing to answer your questions!

I have an interview at VCOM - CC. Does that mean I can't go to VCOM - VA?

Or I guess wont be considered for VCOM - Va

Unfortunately not. Stated in the interview opening, they said that they are considering you for ONLY for that campus.

Maybe you can talk to admissions prior to the interview and attempt to switch to another campus? I'm not certain. I would contact admissions via email/phone. I'm sure they have all the answers and respond fairly quickly. Did you prioritize VA over CC on the secondary?

I just applied late, how long after so secondaries get sent, and do you get a confirmation email?

Hi all, OOS applicant here. Is VCOM at all receptive to contact/show of interest? Unsure as to whether or not it is premature to start reaching out or working on an update letter. Thank you!

Hi all, OOS applicant here. Is VCOM at all receptive to contact/show of interest? Unsure as to whether or not it is premature to start reaching out or working on an update letter. Thank you!
No idea, but if you do it I do not think it would hurt you!

I was contacted by the Louisiana campus for an interview even though I only ranked the Virginia campus, because I am not interested in the others. Does this mean now I won’t be considered for Virginia?...

I was contacted by the Louisiana campus for an interview even though I only ranked the Virginia campus, because I am not interested in the others. Does this mean now I won’t be considered for Virginia?...
Yeah I think that is right. I think that they offered you the interview at the Louisiana campus because that is the only one they are considering you for. I heard that the campus there is really nice though!!!! Do you not want to go because of the distance?

Yeah I think that is right. I think that they offered you the interview at the Louisiana campus because that is the only one they are considering you for. I heard that the campus there is really nice though!!!! Do you not want to go because of the distance?
That sucks.. I would have preferred a rejection from Virginia then. And no, I live in texas and absolutely don’t like the state of Louisiana. I was hoping to be able to move further north

That sucks.. I would have preferred a rejection from Virginia then. And no, I live in texas and absolutely don’t like the state of Louisiana. I was hoping to be able to move further north
Ahhh gotcha, I mean hey I am not 100% sure that is what happens but that is what I have heard and seen. You might be able to contact the Virginia campus and see if this is accurate information?? I am sorry that you aren't the biggest fan of Louisiana.

It looks like you have been accepted to 2 other DO programs already? Congratulations!! Is VCOM a top choice for you?

I am in the same exact boat. I called twice about being review for the VA campus and they said they would send me an email if selected for an interview for VA. It has been silence since.
I dont think theyre really gonna change their mind about this unfortunately.
I am choosing to not attend my LA interview for the same reasons as you.

Hi everyone,

Just wondering is there are any veterans here that have been accepted to the school?

I submitted my primary recently so I’m behind the power curve but I’m hoping my military service helps me stand out a little... thoughts?

GPA 3.79, MCAT 503, URM

In all honesty I don't think regional bias was the reason. I have a buddy from Texas, same as you, that got into VCOM in VA.
Well I'm not sure then, my GPA is higher than their average and my MCAT is on par with their matriculants. Just not sure why their Louisiana campus called me

VCOM has given me 0 love. And I live in Virginia lol.