2019-2020 California Health Sciences University College of Osteopathic Medicine (CHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Additional question on Primary Application reads: "Please explain any gaps in education or employment longer than holidays and semester breaks."
If I went from undergraduate and immediately started working/continue to work would this answer be applicable? Should I discuss what I have done during my "gap" years (working full time as clinical trial coordinator) or can I just put N/A?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it worth applying here if you're not from the central Valley? I have primary care experience with the underserved, but not sure if that will help me since this school is about serving the central valley.

Additional question on Primary Application reads: "Please explain any gaps in education or employment longer than holidays and semester breaks."
If I went from undergraduate and immediately started working/continue to work would this answer be applicable? Should I discuss what I have done during my "gap" years (working full time as clinical trial coordinator) or can I just put N/A?

Where do you see this question?

I took a 6 month gap between finishing undergrad and working and so I talked about that in that section, but I think if you started working immediately after undergrad, you would not need to answer it.

I see on their website that they require CASPer but I can’t find this school on the CASPer website. Is anyone else having this problem?

I see on their website that they require CASPer but I can’t find this school on the CASPer website. Is anyone else having this problem?
I called and spoke with them yesterday and they are finishing up the agreement with them so they should be listed soon. However, it only needs to be sent out once you receive a secondary.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone received a secondary yet? I was verified last on the 6th. Also, do I have a chance if I am from the east coast?

Received an email stating that they got my app.

Members don't see this ad :)
PSA, there's a new MSAR-akin tool for DO schools now that's free to use. Figured I should share! Good luck everyone this cycle!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone received secondary invitations yet?

I only got the email today that they received my app. Waiting for that secondary!

Am I blind or is this program not posted on ChooseDO?

Also - will this be this school's inagural class?
For some reason it won't show up if you search for California schools using the sidebar but:

When did you receive your secondary? and when were you verified on AACOMAS. I have only gotten an email about being verified for primary.
Just got it yesterday! And I was verified early June I think !

@PapaGuava

1. Explain how CHSU-COM may benefit the California Central Valley. How might the presence of an osteopathic medical school affect the local community over the next twenty years? (250 words)

2. CHSU-COM values a diverse student body that reflects our region and our world. Please explain how you would contribute to diversity at CHSU-COM. (250 words)

3. Describe any education, work experience, extracurricular activities, or volunteer opportunities that have contributed to your motivation to enter the field of medicine. (250 words)

4. Describe a situation in which you felt you were able to make a significant contribution or to show leadership. What was the biggest challenge in that situation and what was the biggest reward? (250 words)

Reactions: 2 users
@PapaGuava

1. Explain how CHSU-COM may benefit the California Central Valley. How might the presence of an osteopathic medical school affect the local community over the next twenty years? (250 words)

2. CHSU-COM values a diverse student body that reflects our region and our world. Please explain how you would contribute to diversity at CHSU-COM. (250 words)

3. Describe any education, work experience, extracurricular activities, or volunteer opportunities that have contributed to your motivation to enter the field of medicine. (250 words)

4. Describe a situation in which you felt you were able to make a significant contribution or to show leadership. What was the biggest challenge in that situation and what was the biggest reward? (250 words)

Thank you!!! @paradoxic_toxic

Just as a heads up, this school requires you to take the CASPer before they evaluate your secondary application :(

Should i be worried. I got the email saying they got my primary June 28th and still no secondary? Also just took CASPer today. Was really fun........

Secondary received today, but I am waiting for the link to be sent.

Did anyone get the link to pay the secondary fee with a credit card? I emailed them requesting it, they said I would get it at some time today and never did...

Did anyone get the link to pay the secondary fee with a credit card? I emailed them requesting it, they said I would get it at some time today and never did...
I haven't gotten one either! Just saw that you need to email them for a link if you want to pay with card. Hopefully they are planning on sending the links on Monday!

Has anyone gotten the fee email yet? I submitted July 20th and have not gotten anything yet.

Is this school even legitimate? I heard somewhere online that they have PBL and a bunch of mandatory attendance

Is this school even legitimate? I heard somewhere online that they have PBL and a bunch of mandatory attendance
I didn't know PBL and mandatory attendance illegitimizes a medical school

I didn't know PBL and mandatory attendance illegitimizes a medical school
Oh they don't!
You must have confused those two sentences to be related.
But the school is founded for-profit and seems to have some questionable characters running the school (brought in from other questionable organizations).

Oh they don't!
But the school is founded for-profit and seems to have some questionable characters running the school (brought in from other questionable organizations).

Ah gotcha

Oh they don't!

What do you mean by questionable characters? What questionable organizations are these? I'm a current applicant so I'm interested.

What do you mean by questionable characters? What questionable organizations are these? I'm a current applicant so I'm interested.

Brought in from other for-profit medical schools like Cal Northstate (which has a bad rep)

Brought in from other for-profit medical schools like Cal Northstate (which has a bad rep)
Maybe it's good that I haven't gotten secondaries from either yet. o_O

Maybe it's good that I haven't gotten secondaries from either yet. o_O

From their Yelp page on their Pharmacy school:

"I attended this pharmacy school last year but decided to drop because it was a joke. Teachers are "guest" speakers that occasionally drop in. Pretty much anyone who couldn't get into the top three pharmacy schools will be admitted.
They only want your money because they want to start the new Osteopath school. They don't care if you get a solid education, and the funny thing is that its financially backed by a home builder. Really??!! They know there are about 12 or more pharmacy schools in California right now and you would be lucky to get a pharmacist job when you get out, but they don't care.
Save your money. Go into nursing or engineering, where you know you will have a job. I have decided to go into nursing now."

Sound like a money first, students second kind of institution for me (of course it is, it is FOR-profit after all).
I'll spend my $250k on DO tuition elsewhere
Thanks

Is this school actually mandatory attendance? Can anyone confirm this? If so considering not submitting a secondary.