2019-2020 Albert Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got a complete email, submitted 7/10 I believe.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
So I ended up getting a "Letter of Good Standing" from my undergrad (I'm a nontrad/DIY postbacc), but my undergrad won't upload it to AMCAS Letter Writers Application. They just emailed it to me and told me to submit it... :oops: I can't submit to the Letter Writers Application on my own behalf (duh), so I'm sending the hardcopy to AMCAS with the AMCAS Letter Request form. Will they accept the hardcopy if it came from me? I don't know how else to get it to Einstein, since they will only accept it from AMCAS.

So I ended up getting a "Letter of Good Standing" from my undergrad (I'm a nontrad/DIY postbacc), but my undergrad won't upload it to AMCAS Letter Writers Application. They just emailed it to me and told me to submit it... :oops: I can't submit to the Letter Writers Application on my own behalf (duh), so I'm sending the hardcopy to AMCAS with the AMCAS Letter Request form. Will they accept the hardcopy if it came from me? I don't know how else to get it to Einstein, since they will only accept it from AMCAS.
My undergrad did the same thing but when I asked them to mail the paper copy to AMCAS they agreed to. Did they refuse to even mail it?

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone applying to the MD/PhD program, I received information that admissions will begin reviewing applications between late August and early September.

Reactions: 1 users
Does the school really require 40 credit hours of social sciences and humanities? How is that even possible?

Since they are competency-based, that is a recommendation for those that haven't done anything except school. "This awareness can be gained through courses in disciplines such as psychology, sociology, anthropology, public health, literature, economics, history, philosophy and ethics."

That also includes English classes, foreign languages, communications/speech. Lots of things could be put into humanities is what I am getting at, and you could argue other classes could fit in there that are not directly listed as such. I looked at an outline for a Biology degree I had laying around, and it had 42 required credits that could be called humanities/social.

My undergrad did the same thing but when I asked them to mail the paper copy to AMCAS they agreed to. Did they refuse to even mail it?

I'm a dork and didn't think to ask them about mailing it! :rofl: Thanks for the idea! Emailed them and they said they would mail it. Who knows how long until my application is complete, but at least it will be someday...

I just kept trying it and then it finally worked!

This happened to me too, but then I checked and saw that I was charged for the secondary 6 TIMES! Be sure to check your payment history and credit card statements. However, the admissions office kindly reimbursed the extra charges.

This happened to me too, but then I checked and saw that I was charged for the secondary 6 TIMES! Be sure to check your payment history and credit card statements. However, the admissions office kindly reimbursed the extra charges.

I heard you're 6x as likely to be offered an interview if this happens.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Submitted 7/11, Complete email 7/25

All we had to do was submit the multiple choice secondary and upload picture, right? No other button we need to click?

Submitted 7/10 but no complete email. Same goes for my other secondaries via Liasoncas.

All we had to do was submit the multiple choice secondary and upload picture, right? No other button we need to click?

Submitted 7/10 but no complete email. Same goes for my other secondaries via Liasoncas.

I believe that's all we had to do, yes. And same here, haven't received a complete email from any school that uses Liasoncas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still no complete email? Same with other schools who use this portal.
I got a complete email from Hopkins, which uses this portal type, but it took several weeks. I have not gotten a complete email from Einstein.

Edit: I also got a complete email from Cornell and they use this portal type and it only took a few days; seems to be school-dependent

Reactions: 1 user
Same, and yes its mostly the AAMC-hosted portals are taking forever. But I did get at least 1 confirmation email from a school who uses this type of portal after about a month, so it seems to be possible.

I applied to 4 schools that use this portal and I have gotten complete emails at vastly different times. One emailed me the same day I submitted everything. Another emailed me ~10 days later. Two (including Einstein) have not emailed me at all. It seems to be highly dependent on the school.

Hey guys, so I did a post-bacc program and ran into the issue of trying to get that pesky letter of good standing from my undergrad's registrar office. I was wondering for those in my situation, how are you getting your registrar to send the letter? Being that the AMCAS Letter Writer Application would be a pain for my undergrad institution in setting up an account etc., I was thinking of having the registrar make the letter, send it back to me, and I would set up an Interfolio account to upload the document from there to send to AMCAS. But I contacted Einstein just now if I could do this and they made it clear that the letter should be directly uploaded to the AMCAS Letter Writer Application. I contacted my undergrad and they told me they only mail or fax the letter and cannot do it electronically. Do you guys think it would be okay for me to set up an AMCAS Letter Writer account on behalf of my undergrad and upload the letter if I ask my undergrad to mail it to me? Or will Einstein accept the letter through mail...I'm not sure what to do.

I will be attending Einstein as a MS1 and start in a few weeks. The admissions office takes a minute to mark as complete, I submitted early september of last year and did not receive a complete email until november. Interview season runs pretty late as well!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, so I did a post-bacc program and ran into the issue of trying to get that pesky letter of good standing from my undergrad's registrar office. I was wondering for those in my situation, how are you getting your registrar to send the letter? Being that the AMCAS Letter Writer Application would be a pain for my undergrad institution in setting up an account etc., I was thinking of having the registrar make the letter, send it back to me, and I would set up an Interfolio account to upload the document from there to send to AMCAS. But I contacted Einstein just now if I could do this and they made it clear that the letter should be directly uploaded to the AMCAS Letter Writer Application. I contacted my undergrad and they told me they only mail or fax the letter and cannot do it electronically. Do you guys think it would be okay for me to set up an AMCAS Letter Writer account on behalf of my undergrad and upload the letter if I ask my undergrad to mail it to me? Or will Einstein accept the letter through mail...I'm not sure what to do.

No, it wouldn't be appropriate for you to set up an AMCAS Letter Writer account on behalf of your undergrad, then ask your undergrad to mail you the letter (which Einstein already directly told you not to request of your undergrad) so you can upload your letter as if you were an employee of your undergrad's registrar. Really, really bad idea.

Your undergrad can just mail the letter to AMCAS, what is wrong with that option?

Well, StayWandering answered it already, but...

Creating an account to upload the letter yourself would be unethical and against AMCAS rules, if they find out you would likely have your applications revoked.

Create a letter request on AMCAS, get the cover letter, and have your undergrad attach that cover letter and mail in the good standing letter to AMCAS.

Anyone else still waiting on a complete email? Submitted 7/15

" I have received a grade of "D" during my college/graduate school years. "
Does this also include a college course (taken at a local college) while in HIGH SCHOOL?
That class/D/Transcript is already sent to AMCAS

Does this also include a college course (taken at a local college) while in HIGH SCHOOL?
I would include that just in case, I’m sure since it was taken in high school it won’t be weighted very heavily but I would explain it anyway

Any grade on your transcript to AMCAS counts. When you took the college class does not matter and colleges receive all transcripts sent to AMCAS.

But
Any grade on your transcript to AMCAS counts. When you took the college class does not matter and colleges receive all transcripts sent to AMCAS.

But it states college school years. Does that not mean the period when I was actually in college (post-high school)?

Did you take college courses in high school?

Sounds like a college year to me then.

But
But it states college school years. Does that not mean the period when I was actually in college (post-high school)?
They are going to look at your AMCAS and see a D. Then they're going to see that you didn't report it on your secondary. They aren't going to think "well technically we said college years..."

They are going to look at your AMCAS and see a D. Then they're going to see that you didn't report it on your secondary. They aren't going to think "well technically we said college years..."

K fine haha
How extensively should I explain this grade (it was an upper level calc class that I have no idea what compelled me to undertake such a class in high school)

But

That makes it ambiguous. Most colleges do ask if you had a C or below and explain it. I have seen Southern Florida go as low as B-. Not sure who you can reach out to at the school.

A D in high school is such a minor issue. Just say:

"As a senior in high school, I was still an immature kid and I received a D in Class X, which I was not yet ready to handle. I identified deficiencies in how I treated the class and used them to better prepare myself for future classes. I realize getting a D means I would make a horrible physician, I am asking you to forgive this transgression. If Donald Trump can say that he is an extremely stable genius and half the population believes him, then hopefully whoever reads my file will agree that I am not a 16-year-old kid anymore. I'm really looking forward to matriculating to SGU."

Also, if you go over two sentences (it can be answered in one), you did something wrong.

• Haha
A D in high school is such a minor issue. Just say:

"As a senior in high school, I was still an immature kid and I received a D in Class X, which I was not yet ready to handle. I identified deficiencies in how I treated the class and used them to better prepare myself for future classes. I realize getting a D means I would make a horrible physician, I am asking you to forgive this transgression. If Donald Trump can say that he is an extremely stable genius and half the population believes him, then hopefully whoever reads my file will agree that I am not a 16-year-old kid anymore. I'm really looking forward to matriculating to SGU."

Also, if you go over two sentences (it can be answered in one), you did something wrong.

Ok. Will copy and paste. Thanks for the inspiration :)
Also, Donald Trump thanks you for mentioning him. haha

Besides on the AMCAS itself, is there somewhere on Einstein's website or portal where you can make sure they've received your letters?

I am not 100% sure I should answer this question with YES:

I have taken at least a year off from school since college graduation.

It has been over a year since I graduated from college, but I went directly into a masters program, so I have not taken any time off from "school."

I believe I should be answering this question and explaining why I chose to go to graduate school ect...

I am wondering if others with a similar academic path have taken the same approach to this question.

I am not 100% sure I should answer this question with YES:

I have taken at least a year off from school since college graduation.

It has been over a year since I graduated from college, but I went directly into a masters program, so I have not taken any time off from "school."

I believe I should be answering this question and explaining why I chose to go to graduate school ect...

I am wondering if others with a similar academic path have taken the same approach to this question.
You may not fall under the category since you have not left college.

Hey everyone, I need some guidance for this question on the AE secondary: "I have been subject to a disciplinary action and/or administrative action, expunged or not, while an undergraduate or graduate student."

When I was 19 I had to go to court and do community surface for a minor in possession of alcohol. But I was never charged with a misdemeanor and my school never found out about it AKA I didn’t receive any disciplinary/administrative action from them. Do you think its ok for me to check no to this question? Do you think that they just mean with action within the university or in general?

Hey everyone, I need some guidance for this question on the AE secondary: "I have been subject to a disciplinary action and/or administrative action, expunged or not, while an undergraduate or graduate student."

When I was 19 I had to go to court and do community surface for a minor in possession of alcohol. But I was never charged with a misdemeanor and my school never found out about it AKA I didn’t receive any disciplinary/administrative action from them. Do you think its ok for me to check no to this question? Do you think that they just mean with action within the university or in general?
My 2 cents: If you mark NO, get accepted, and then they find out about it, will they think "this guy lied on his secondary"? If you think they would think you're lying I would check YES and discuss it.. if not, then I wouldn't.

Just be true to yourself! I think being honest will always pay back in the long run, whether through this specifically or in other ways ^__^

Hey! How is the Bronx?

Tbh not bad. I come from a super rural area so it was an adjustment for me, but the area Einstein is in is pretty quiet and residential, so I feel very safe. That said, since it is a residential neighborhood there's not a ton to do in the immediate area (besides some amazing Italian places and one small dive bar across the street from campus) but there's a MTA express bus that gets you from campus to Manhattan in ~40 min which is super convenient.

Edit: also forgot to mention: the best part of the Bronx is the patients. Seriously, you can't learn medicine from a more sick and more deserving patient population anywhere else in the country. I mean, where else in the US do you regularly see malaria patients?!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
e

i would answer no to this simply cause it has nothing to do with you getting in trouble with your school. If there’s a question about any criminal action you had expunged or not then I would answer yes to that

e

i would answer no to this simply cause it has nothing to do with you getting in trouble with your school. If there’s a question about any criminal action you had expunged or not then I would answer yes to that
This..

There are questions on AMCAS related to felonies and misdemeanors. If you have nothing there, you will have nothing here. Conversely, even if mentioned something under those sections, it would be in this section. Whatever you have under institutional action is what is being asked again here.

Last edited:
not sure if this was asked, but for the letter of good standing how did you guys send it to AMCAS? like should I enter it as an individual letter or committee letter in the AMCAS letter writer?

more info: I don't have an existing committee letter already, just 4 individual letters because my undergrad and postbac does not have a committee.

not sure if this was asked, but for the letter of good standing how did you guys send it to AMCAS? like should I enter it as an individual letter or committee letter in the AMCAS letter writer?

more info: I don't have an existing committee letter already, just 4 individual letters because my undergrad and postbac does not have a committee.

I did it as an individual letter. The office that handles it at my school is the Office of Student Conduct. I called Student Affairs first and they transferred me to conduct and got my letter taken care of.

I did it as an individual letter. The office that handles it at my school is the Office of Student Conduct. I called Student Affairs first and they transferred me to conduct and got my letter taken care of.

Okay awesome thank you! I shall do that also.

What are you guys using the "Anything Else" prompt to write about it? Not sure if I should use it to elaborate more on one of my activities or to use is as a Why Einstein prompt.

How did you guys answer this question:

If you were employed during the academic year, other than during winter and summer breaks, please write the number of hours you worked per week, and tell us what you did and why you were employed.

Are you just listing the jobs you had, the duration, hours per week, and description? Or did you guys just give a rough estimate of hours worked per week for each academic year with the job title as the description

How did you guys answer this question:

If you were employed during the academic year, other than during winter and summer breaks, please write the number of hours you worked per week, and tell us what you did and why you were employed.

Are you just listing the jobs you had, the duration, hours per week, and description? Or did you guys just give a rough estimate of hours worked per week for each academic year with the job title as the description
Why you were employed is an important part of the question. They are trying to gauge whether you needed the money, worked as part of the financial need package etc.