2018-2019 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My portal has completely changed to multiple things like "application for standardized patient program" and "comlex prep", what does this mean? What does accepted applicants portals change to?
same, again. Let's think positively.

Oh. everything just came back to normal... haha

Members don't see this ad.

From last years thread it seems that people were accepted in April, May and even June. So i don't think the waitlist movement is by any means over. Hoping for the best for all of us!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
From last years thread it seems that people were accepted in April, May and even June. So i don't think the waitlist movement is by any means over. Hoping for the best for all of us!
Just wish I would hear news soon because I plan to retake my MCAT in late May, and reapply. But I assume that is the case for a lot of people. Good luck to everyone, I really thought there would be a lot more movement after the 3/15 deadline but I assume most people are just waiting to hear from other schools while holding their 3k deposit.

Reactions: 1 users
I, too, am not sure if I'll keep my seat or not, so more movement is definitely still possible :)

For all those curious about contacting admissions post-interview, it might be a good idea. It doesn't have to be a letter of intent, but it can be if you want. My advice, call them up and let them know how much you want to go to WVSOM. They like those who are proactive and genuinely interested in being admitted.

Y'all think they will be making calls today? Their committee meets every Tuesday. Any1 drop their acceptances?

Y'all think they will be making calls today? Their committee meets every Tuesday. Any1 drop their acceptances?
Unsure, I know that the M1s and M2s are on spring break this week, Im not sure if the admissions staff takes the week off too or not

To any current students, how many days a week would you say you are required to physically be in the classroom/lab during first and second years? I am thinking of buying a house in Covington, VA (about thirty five minutes away) because it suits the needs of my family better than being in Lewisburg. I would have no problem with primarily relying on the posted lecture videos as I am more of a self-learner, but I think it may be more hassle than it’s worth if I need to drive back and forth every day of the week. Thank you!

To any current students, how many days a week would you say you are required to physically be in the classroom/lab during first and second years? I am thinking of buying a house in Covington, VA (about thirty five minutes away) because it suits the needs of my family better than being in Lewisburg. I would have no problem with primarily relying on the posted lecture videos as I am more of a self-learner, but I think it may be more hassle than it’s worth if I need to drive back and forth every day of the week. Thank you!
This is going to vary a lot. When you have anatomy during first year, you will basically have to be there every day, but this is only for a week or 2 for each section with anatomy. There is OPP lab once a week. You will have clinical skills, but that's usually only once or twice a month. All case-closings are mandatory and some of the case-openings are mandatory. On average you will be required to go to campus 2-4 times/week. Some weeks only 1, some weeks you will have all 5 days.

Reactions: 2 users
This is going to vary a lot. When you have anatomy during first year, you will basically have to be there every day, but this is only for a week or 2 for each section with anatomy. There is OPP lab once a week. You will have clinical skills, but that's usually only once or twice a month. All case-closings are mandatory and some of the case-openings are mandatory. On average you will be required to go to campus 2-4 times/week. Some weeks only 1, some weeks you will have all 5 days.

Thank you!! This was a big help!

How are the 3rd year rotations? Any good research opportunities/hospital placements?

Edit: anyone hear back more news yet?

Last edited:
Did anyone hear back yesterday? I wonder how many spots they still plan to fill off of the waitlist :unsure:

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone hear back yesterday? I wonder how many spots they still plan to fill off of the waitlist :unsure:
+1

As someone with a deferred acceptance i wohld really like to know as well lol. They said over the phome that waitlist movement is heavy in april and goes into may

+1

As someone with a deferred acceptance i wohld really like to know as well lol. They said over the phome that waitlist movement is heavy in april and goes into may
Same! Did you talk to Kim/Annette or one someone from the admissions team? I'm thinking of calling next week :whistle:

Same! Did you talk to Kim/Annette or one someone from the admissions team? I'm thinking of calling next week :whistle:
Yeah I talked with someone over the phone they were very nice and told me what I should be doing in terms of sending updates and letters. I don't know if calling will do anything though at this point. Sending updates and waiting is all we can do i think. I just want to know if they have been going through movement lately lol. When did you interview?

Yeah I talked with someone over the phone they were very nice and told me what I should be doing in terms of sending updates and letters. I don't know if calling will do anything though at this point. Sending updates and waiting is all we can do i think. I just want to know if they have been going through movement lately lol. When did you interview?

Yeah I agree with you, unfortunately it's all a waiting game at this point :( I just thought there would be more movement in mid March from what they told us at the interview. And I interviewed March 1st! Sent a LOI last week.

From what I was told, most of the movement for DO schools happens in May.

Yeah I agree with you, unfortunately it's all a waiting game at this point :( I just thought there would be more movement in mid March from what they told us at the interview. And I interviewed March 1st! Sent a LOI last week.
I interviewed 2 weeks after you. I wonder how many people they gave deferred acceptances to. They told me that they do not do this normally which I think is really cool. I'm just happy we got acceptances! Is this your only one? It is for me lol

I interviewed 2 weeks after you. I wonder how many people they gave deferred acceptances to. They told me that they do not do this normally which I think is really cool. I'm just happy we got acceptances! Is this your only one? It is for me lol
Ohhhhh no I'm sorry I was put on the "alternate list" not deferred, just got my post II rejection from MSUCOM :( I haven't heard of deferred acceptances from WVSOM either actually, so good for you! They just got back from their Spring Break so hopefully they start reviewing our apps again!

• Wow
Ohhhhh no I'm sorry I was put on the "alternate list" not deferred, just got my post II rejection from MSUCOM :( I haven't heard of deferred acceptances from WVSOM either actually, so good for you! They just got back from their Spring Break so hopefully they start reviewing our apps again!
oh im sorry lol... well lets hope wait list movement is real!!

Did you ask them if sending updates/LOI was helpful? I am also on the alternate list, I wonder if they have priority on getting people with deferred acceptances for this year, if thats the case then thats not super good news haha. I interviewed 2/11.

Did you ask them if sending updates/LOI was helpful? I am also on the alternate list, I wonder if they have priority on getting people with deferred acceptances for this year, if thats the case then thats not super good news haha. I interviewed 2/11.
It definitely doesn't hurt! It shows that you're committed to the school which id think is only reassuring to them at this point. And jimbone905 is the only person I've heard of/seen getting a deferred acceptance from WVSOM so I wouldn't worry too much.

It definitely doesn't hurt! It shows that you're committed to the school which id think is only reassuring to them at this point. And jimbone905 is the only person I've heard of/seen getting a deferred acceptance from WVSOM so I wouldn't worry too much.
Thanks for the advice, I recall one more person getting a deferred acceptance on the forum, but I will probably send a letter. Ill try asking before I send one though.

A LOI can definitely help, but at this stage the only problem keeping people from being pulled off the alternate list is spots opening up. Spots will start opening up more and more though as has happened in the past. Students will get pulled off up until orientation week so if you haven't been accepted yet, don't lose hope yet.

Does anybody know if it’s okay for me to fill out the WVSOM financial aid application (not FAFSA), if I’m still not 100% sure I’m going to matriculate?

I’m not sure if doing so will mess up my disbursements IF I were to end up attending another school. Thanks!

Does anybody know if it’s okay for me to fill out the WVSOM financial aid application (not FAFSA), if I’m still not 100% sure I’m going to matriculate?

I’m not sure if doing so will mess up my disbursements IF I were to end up attending another school. Thanks!

To my knowledge no it wouldn't because financial aid checks in with the university to see what your registration status is prior to disbursing any loans.

Just withdrew my acceptance today! I hope one of you guys get my spot!

Reactions: 3 users
To current students: can anyone give me a rough estimate of how much leftover money you had *given you took out the full amount of loans*? Also, did you live frugally or not? Did you pick the nicer, more experience place to live etc etc.
Thanks!

I’m going into school pretty much poor so..

To current students: can anyone give me a rough estimate of how much leftover money you had *given you took out the full amount of loans*? Also, did you live frugally or not? Did you pick the nicer, more experience place to live etc etc.
Thanks!

I’m going into school pretty much poor so..
Everyone is different. Housing is extremely variable, but if you're looking for cheap, get roommates and you'll be looking at like 500/month. The living expenses budget that the school gives out is usually a little high, but it is generally a good representation of what costs will be. Anyways, I did not take out the max and I live very frugally. It all depends on what your future plans for student loan repayment will look like. I plan to live like a student as an attending and pay off my loans in 2-3 years, but I think most people will pay the loan out over the 10 year period. The less loans you take out, the less interest you have to pay.

Probably won't be as much movement till beginning to the middle of May.

Agreed.

Im sure there are a number of people not using this site, but seems like only 3 people have been pulled on March 19th. :( hoping for more movement in the future

Just curious, why do you say this?

Agreed.

Im sure there are a number of people not using this site, but seems like only 3 people have been pulled on March 19th. :( hoping for more movement in the future

Is it possible the admissions committee is waiting until enough seats are vacated to meet and select off the waitlist?

Just curious, why do you say this?

Is it possible the admissions committee is waiting until enough seats are vacated to meet and select off the waitlist?
There is a deposit due and students with multiple acceptances need to commit to one school.

I saw that May 15th was the actual date when all students must withdraw from all any other acceptances they have.

AACOMAS Traffic Guidelines

Last edited:
the AACOMAS website says the traffic day is May 15th. From there, candidates have 15 days to confirm/deny their spot before WVSOM can remove them. I may be wrong, but does that mean we may be looking at early June when the committee meets to see movement ? :/ Hoping not, but anyone know??

the AACOMAS website says the traffic day is May 15th. From there, candidates have 15 days to confirm/deny their spot before WVSOM can remove them. I may be wrong, but does that mean we may be looking at early June when the committee meets to see movement ? :/ Hoping not, but anyone know??

Sadly, it sounds about right but I feel that they will fill those spots immediately every time someone gives up one rather than wait till June. Also I’d hope people wouldn’t wait till the last day to give up their spot haha, I wouldn’t even dare try if I held multiple acceptances. Let’s just hope for the best

Does anyone know how I should send grade updates for my final semester? Should I send an unofficial transcript to the admissions office?

Does anyone know how I should send grade updates for my final semester? Should I send an unofficial transcript to the admissions office?

Email admissions a scan of an official transcript. I called and that's what they said.