2018-2019 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I'm a recent WVSOM graduate and will be starting my residency in emergency medicine come July. I've been around these parts for the last couple years and more than happy to answer any questions regarding WVSOM, medical school, residency, and emergency medicine specific questions. I got a ton of help on here when I was applying to medical schools so I'm happy to pay it forward.

Good luck this cycle!

Reactions: 8 users
Hey everyone! I'm a recent WVSOM graduate and will be starting my residency in emergency medicine come July. I've been around these parts for the last couple years and more than happy to answer any questions regarding WVSOM, medical school, residency, and emergency medicine specific questions. I got a ton of help on here when I was applying to medical schools so I'm happy to pay it forward.

Good luck this cycle!
Congrats! Were you ever eligible for IS tuition while at WVSOM? I know cost is a major contributor to people picking other schools over WVSOM and was wondering how difficult it actually is to get IS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Were you ever eligible for IS tuition while at WVSOM? I know cost is a major contributor to people picking other schools over WVSOM and was wondering how difficult it actually is to get IS?

I was not eligible for in-state tuition. Trust me I tried. The only way you can get that sweet sweet IS tuition rate is if you lived in WV for at least 1 year before applying to WVSOM. Another route is to marry someone from WV but I'm not sure on the details of that.

We had one kid in my class roll the dice, sell his house in Maryland, buy a house in Lewisburg, WV (2 blocks from the school), lived there for a year, then applied to WVSOM and was acceptance. Ballsy as hell but damn did it pay off.

TL;DR hard to get IS tuition unless you were born/raised/moved to WV well before applying to WVSOM.

I was not eligible for in-state tuition. Trust me I tried. The only way you can get that sweet sweet IS tuition rate is if you lived in WV for at least 1 year before applying to WVSOM. Another route is to marry someone from WV but I'm not sure on the details of that.

We had one kid in my class roll the dice, sell his house in Maryland, buy a house in Lewisburg, WV (2 blocks from the school), lived there for a year, then applied to WVSOM and was acceptance. Ballsy as hell but damn did it pay off.

TL;DR hard to get IS tuition unless you were born/raised/moved to WV well before applying to WVSOM.
That's what I figured, however I saw on some threads you could get it if you did the Master's Bridge Program but I really don't think that's the case. WV is sooooo hard to get IS in but I was hopeful someone found a way.
Did you get your top residency pick? How was the match rate for your class? Are residencies limited to WV?

Yep, got my top residency pick. Match rate for our class was pretty good. We had people match at all kinds of residencies across the nation (notably Mayo Clinic, Georgetown, Maricopa, University of California-Davis, etc.). Yes, we did have a few people not match (5-6 out of 190). Residencies are certainly not limited to WV, you can apply wherever your heart desires.

The reality is you will have a high chance of matching into residency if you bust your butt in school and on board exams. I think most if not all medical schools will give you the tools to succeed.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep, got my top residency pick. Match rate for our class was pretty good. We had people match at all kinds of residencies across the nation (notably Mayo Clinic, Georgetown, Maricopa, University of California-Davis, etc.). Yes, we did have a few people not match (5-6 out of 190). Residencies are certainly not limited to WV, you can apply wherever your heart desires.

The reality is you will have a high chance of matching into residency if you bust your butt in school and on board exams. I think most if not all medical schools will give you the tools to succeed.
Awesome! Thanks so much for all your help!

Good luck this cycle!

Congrats on matching! Did you know you wanted to do EM from the start of school or did you figure it out after rotations? What kind of resources does WVSOM have in terms of helping people figure out what specialty is right for them?
Thank you!

Congrats on matching! Did you know you wanted to do EM from the start of school or did you figure it out after rotations? What kind of resources does WVSOM have in terms of helping people figure out what specialty is right for them?
Thank you!

Thanks, appreciate it! I was an EMT for 4 years during undergrad and worked in an ED for a year after college as a tech so I pretty much knew before I started medical school I wanted to do EM. However, I was keeping my ears and eyes open to another specialty but just didn't like any other rotation as much as I did my EM rotation.

As far as resources, we have plenty of faculty that are willing to help you with career decisions. However, one of my main critiques of WVSOM (and this goes probably for most DO schools) is that most of our faculty are family medicine trained physicians. We do not have an EM boarded physician on staff at WVSOM so I wasn't able to get information straight from an EM boarded doc. There are a couple FM trained physicians at WVSOM that have EM experience.

That didn't really matter a whole lot to me mostly because I sought to network as much as possible and was able to attain a couple solid EM physician mentors. I networked on my EM rotations and befriended as many EM docs as I could. I also went to the ACOEP medical conferences and networked with EM physicians there, so I had my own contact. I also like to do research on my own so most of the questions I had I just looked on the internet (SDN, Meddit, etc.) and figured most things out myself. As an aside, if anyone is interested in EM, EMRA (EMRA) is a superb resources for any questions you have regarding student rotations, residency, networking, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks, appreciate it! I was an EMT for 4 years during undergrad and worked in an ED for a year after college as a tech so I pretty much knew before I started medical school I wanted to do EM. However, I was keeping my ears and eyes open to another specialty but just didn't like any other rotation as much as I did my EM rotation.

As far as resources, we have plenty of faculty that are willing to help you with career decisions. However, one of my main critiques of WVSOM (and this goes probably for most DO schools) is that most of our faculty are family medicine trained physicians. We do not have an EM boarded physician on staff at WVSOM so I wasn't able to get information straight from an EM boarded doc. There are a couple FM trained physicians at WVSOM that have EM experience.

That didn't really matter a whole lot to me mostly because I sought to network as much as possible and was able to attain a couple solid EM physician mentors. I networked on my EM rotations and befriended as many EM docs as I could. I also went to the ACOEP medical conferences and networked with EM physicians there, so I had my own contact. I also like to do research on my own so most of the questions I had I just looked on the internet (SDN, Meddit, etc.) and figured most things out myself. As an aside, if anyone is interested in EM, EMRA (EMRA) is a superb resources for any questions you have regarding student rotations, residency, networking, etc.

Awesome info, thank you so much!

@Tri4thlete I'm an incoming first year at WVSOM also interested in EM (4 years EMT, 3 years in ER). I'm wondering which region you think is best for rotating in the ER? I want to keep my mind open to other specialties too, and would that region allow me to get a good idea about other specialties as well? Thanks in advance!

Edit: Also, there are 3/4 base hospitals in each region. Would I pick a region and base hospital? Or will I bounce around between the few base hospitals in that region?

Last edited:
@Tri4thlete I'm an incoming first year at WVSOM also interested in EM (4 years EMT, 3 years in ER). I'm wondering which region you think is best for rotating in the ER? I want to keep my mind open to other specialties too, and would that region allow me to get a good idea about other specialties as well? Thanks in advance!

Edit: Also, there are 3/4 base hospitals in each region. Would I pick a region and base hospital? Or will I bounce around between the few base hospitals in that region?

Unfortunately I can't give you a great answer because I can't compare the region I was in to other regions since I didn't rotate in other regions :p

I was in the Southwest region and really liked it. I did my EM rotation at Cabell Huntington Hospital which is a very busy level II trauma center. I had a metric ton of autonomy there and learned to do a lot of procedures. They pretty much let me do whatever I felt comfortable doing. My other rotations were pretty good too so I would definitely recommend SW region.

Unfortunately I can't give you a great answer because I can't compare the region I was in to other regions since I didn't rotate in other regions :p

I was in the Southwest region and really liked it. I did my EM rotation at Cabell Huntington Hospital which is a very busy level II trauma center. I had a metric ton of autonomy there and learned to do a lot of procedures. They pretty much let me do whatever I felt comfortable doing. My other rotations were pretty good too so I would definitely recommend SW region.

Thanks for the info! I was looking into the SW region to specifically see if Cabell Huntington was on the list because I've heard they get a good range of patients. When I looked, it's not on the list of base hospitals. Was it like that a couple years ago when you started your rotations? Did you request to work there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info! I was looking into the SW region to specifically see if Cabell Huntington was on the list because I've heard they get a good range of patients. When I looked, it's not on the list of base hospitals. Was it like that a couple years ago when you started your rotations? Did you request to work there?

You are correct. My base site was Our Lady Bellefonte Hospital. Cabel Huntington Hospital (CHH) is not a "base hospital" because it's Marshall's teaching hospital. However, CHH lets WVSOM students who are interested in EM do their EM rotation at CHH because it's better experience compared to the surrounding hospitals.

You are correct. My base site was Our Lady Bellefonte Hospital. Cabel Huntington Hospital (CHH) is not a "base hospital" because it's Marshall's teaching hospital. However, CHH lets WVSOM students who are interested in EM do their EM rotation at CHH because it's better experience compared to the surrounding hospitals.

Sounds awesome! Thanks for the insight!

Anyone heard back for secondaries for WVSOM?

I was told early July by someone from admissions when I emailed in May

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still nothing for a secondary ....

Still nothing for a secondary ....

Same here. I just don't think they've sent them out yet at all. They did contact me though almost two weeks ago because I somehow accidentally selected "Yes" under if I had received disciplinary action from a professional society, but I didn't have an explanation for why.

Same here. I just don't think they've sent them out yet at all. They did contact me though almost two weeks ago because I somehow accidentally selected "Yes" under if I had received disciplinary action from a professional society, but I didn't have an explanation for why.
This happened to me too! I selected yes for disciplinary action and had given no explanation.

This happened to me too! I selected yes for disciplinary action and had given no explanation.

Phew, so I wasn't the only one haha. I saw the error I had made on this exact question right when the cycle opened up and I called them about it. That's crazy that it happened to more folks haha.

I heard they are later into July for secondaries. So hopefully they come soon. I’m eager to get them written and over with!
Yikes, good thing they called to clarify that!

So do they screen pretty decently for secondaries then?

Phew, so I wasn't the only one haha. I saw the error I had made on this exact question right when the cycle opened up and I called them about it. That's crazy that it happened to more folks haha.
Yeah I think they switch they yes and no options around for each question and thats why the mistake occurred. I'm glad I wasn't the only one too and glad they emailed to clarify!

This ALSO happened to me even though when I looked back at the AACOMAS primary I had clicked "No" so I sent them a screenshot of it and it was resolved. I panicked for a second lol

Called admissions - secondaries will be sent at the end of July for those wondering! :)

Reactions: 9 users
Hi everyone! I'm also an incoming first year so if you have any questions about the application cycle/interview process I would be more than happy to help! This page was my life when I was applying to medical school :laugh: so I'd love to give back any way I can!

Also our secondaries weren't sent out until August 7th last year due to some technical difficulties they were having, so don't worry if you don't hear back right away!

Any insight on how significant the in-state preference is? Is a lot of your class oos?

I don't know exactly, but from what it seems it's about 75% OOS and 25% IS

I don't know exactly, but from what it seems it's about 75% OOS and 25% IS

Ya contrary to popular belief, most of the class compositions at WVSOM are comprised of OOS students. My class was also about 75%/25% OOS/IS.

I think being in state really helps you because one of their goals is to keep physicians in WV, but being OOS certainly doesn't hurt you.

Reactions: 2 users
This ALSO happened to me even though when I looked back at the AACOMAS primary I had clicked "No" so I sent them a screenshot of it and it was resolved. I panicked for a second lol
I have the same problem. Who did you email your screenshot to?

I have the same problem. Who did you email your screenshot to?
Gwen contacted me personally to ask why I had left the "Yes" answer blank so I just replied to her email with the screenshot that I had clicked "No" on the primary. Here is the email though.

[email protected]

A rejection letter already? Do they screen pretty hard for secondaries then

They have minimum requirements, I got screened out. Not sure why I applied, I wasn't totally sure on their screening process.

I have to laugh though. This morning I get an email saying, can't go on in admissions process. Then Literally an hour later I get an email about the virtual fair to learn more about their curriculum and admissions requirements. :laugh::laugh:
WV: "You can't have it! ..... want to learn about all this awesomesauce you can't have?!"

Reactions: 2 users
What are their pre-screen requirements?

Good luck this cycle!

Hey!! im not sure if you're still answering questions, but I would like to know how does a referral form work through the admission process? I know there is a referral form a relative can fill out for you. Thank you if you do answer my question!

Hey!! im not sure if you're still answering questions, but I would like to know how does a referral form work through the admission process? I know there is a referral form a relative can fill out for you. Thank you if you do answer my question!

Hey there, sorry I'm not too familiar with the referral form/process :( just give admissions a call I'm sure they'd be happy to give you that information :)

Secondary recieved.

Reactions: 4 users

Good luck this cycle!

Hey, I heard from a current WVSOM student that the curriculum was drastically changed this past year and that a sizable amount of first year's ended up having to restart their first year. Could you possible shed some light to the validity of that statement as well as how the curriculum is currently structured and how it differs from the past couple years?

Received a secondary, guess I know what I'm doing tonight!

Submitted

Essays listed below:
1. Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician?

2. What advantage do you see in attending WVSOM over other medical schools?

3. Describe an ethically challenging situation you have been in, and how you responded.

4. What do you feel it will take for you to succeed in medical school?

5. How many hours per week are you willing to commit to studying in addition to the 25 hours of weekly scheduled class time?

6. Describe a situation in work, volunteer activities, or organizations where you demonstrated your ability to work well with others.

7. What experiences (living, working or visiting) have you had in rural areas?