2018-2019 Baylor College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some updated stats guys :) seems mostly in line with what is shown on MSAR, 83% IS

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 1.48.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 1.48.04 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 279
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Gah 518! I should’ve saved my $100 and bought myself a nice steak instead o_O

Got an II on 8/14, OOS. Does anyone know if we have to sign up for a specific time during the day for the interview or is it just confirm the interview date and that is it?
Interview day starts around 11:30 - 12 from what I remember and they assign your interview times.

Does anyone know if Baylor sends out rejection emails or if you just stay "under review" and hear nothing if you aren't going to get an interview?

Consider Baylor the strong, silent type...
Their last interview date is in February. A bit later after TMDSAS match excitement dies down they will send out a few WL offers until their final merciful email in June announcing kindly that their class is complete. (Yes I know they are not a TMDSAS school). I haven't heard of them sending rejection emails at all.
s-l300.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
II today! OOS, LM ~75, complete 7/8

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
BCM was everything I dreamed it would be. #1 on my list, fingers crossed for good news in November

Reactions: 7 users
BCM was everything I dreamed it would be. #1 on my list, fingers crossed for good news in November
Had McGovern today. Texas Medical Center is amazing. Have Baylor next month. Excited to head back to Houston. Isn't Baylor AMCAS so isn't the earliest for them October?

Last edited:
Had McGovern today. Texas Medical Center is amazing. Have Baylor next month. Excited to head back to Houston. Isn't Baylor AMCAS so isn't the earliest for them October?

Yes but they don’t really give offers especially not to tx residents until nov

Yes but they don’t really give offers especially not to tx residents until nov
so they aren't tmdsas but they basically follow the same timeline as them when you're TX resident. That's interesting.

so they aren't tmdsas but they basically follow the same timeline as them when you're TX resident. That's interesting.

There’s an agreement between them and TX schools that says they basically follow TMDSAS protocol!!! Its on TMDSAS website

There’s an agreement between them and TX schools that says they basically follow TMDSAS protocol!!! Its on TMDSAS website
Guess I didnt read that part of the website. I'm OOS for Texas so a lot of the finer print for Texas' schools is lost on me.

II today, completed August 12th. OOS.

First II yay! Complete August 16th. OOS

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone's File Completion mark unpaid secondary fee, even after making a payment?

Does Baylor do holds/rejections early in the cycle? Or do they just do the silence thing

Has anyone who has received an interview heard anything about staying with a student host? On the website it says you would hear back 10 days before your interview but there's less than 10 days until mine and I've heard nothing :(

Has anyone who has received an interview heard anything about staying with a student host? On the website it says you would hear back 10 days before your interview but there's less than 10 days until mine and I've heard nothing :(

It says call them if that happens!

Consider Baylor the strong, silent type...
Their last interview date is in February. A bit later after TMDSAS match excitement dies down they will send out a few WL offers until their final merciful email in June announcing kindly that their class is complete. (Yes I know they are not a TMDSAS school). I haven't heard of them sending rejection emails at all.
View attachment 238888

~~~~~

AFAIK from multiple years of observing, the above is all on point about BCM. Every year, there is much gnashing of teeth about how SLOW (methodical) their acceptance process is. But they seem to be satisfied with it, and it generally helps lead to classes that are # 1 (or close to it) in Step averages among all U.S. medical schools. Trust me, it could be May (especially OOS) before you get accepted...but it is worth the wait. :joyful:

As to staying with a student host, that seems like a winner. Hotels nearby are rather expensive...many stay near the TMC to visit patient relatives in the hospital complex. You can surely learn good info from a student, and they are glad to host you.

I will later re-post some earlier detailed advice that applicants have seemed to find helpful. Our daughter is now a 3rd year Ortho resident (still the most male-dominated specialty) in a very good program. She attended BCM 2012-2016 and smoked the Steps. As a family, we remain indebted to BCM for the quality of her educational experience, especially relative to the net cost. She found the faculty to be engaged and caring. It was FAR LESS EXPENSIVE than our lone IS public school might have been.

~~~~~

AFAIK from multiple years of observing, the above is all on point about BCM. Every year, there is much gnashing of teeth about how SLOW (methodical) their acceptance process is. But they seem to be satisfied with it, and it generally helps lead to classes that are # 1 (or close to it) in Step averages among all U.S. medical schools. Trust me, it could be May (especially OOS) before you get accepted...but it is worth the wait. :joyful:

As to staying with a student host, that seems like a winner. Hotels nearby are rather expensive...many stay near the TMC to visit patient relatives in the hospital complex. You can surely learn good info from a student, and they are glad to host you.

I will later re-post some earlier detailed advice that applicants have seemed to find helpful. Our daughter is now a 3rd year Ortho resident (still the most male-dominated specialty) in a very good program. She attended BCM 2012-2016 and smoked the Steps. As a family, we remain indebted to BCM for the quality of her educational experience, especially relative to the net cost. She found the faculty to be engaged and caring. It was FAR LESS EXPENSIVE than our lone IS public school might have been.
I'd gone through the past few years of posts and was wondering when we'd see something from you this year :)

Current MS1 here! I'm an OOS student who interviewed on the last interview day last year, got accepted in late March. Applied in October and didn't get the II until December. Don't lose hope y'all :)

Reactions: 11 users
Current MS1 here! I'm an OOS student who interviewed on the last interview day last year, got accepted in late March. Applied in October and didn't get the II until December. Don't lose hope y'all :)
Nice to see you again ;), hope MS1 is treating you well so far!

Update on the student host thing for anyone who may experience the same problem later this cycle- they emailed me 4 days before my interview (which is tomorrow) to tell me that I matched with a student host (!!) although they were only able to cover the night before my interview.

People who have already interviewed--what did you do with your luggage during the day? Is there a place to put it???

Just received an II from BCM! This was a surprise but I’m so excited! IS applicant, URM and LizzyM 74

Reactions: 4 users
People who have already interviewed--what did you do with your luggage during the day? Is there a place to put it???
While I didn't bring luggage, other people did and yes! There is a room where you keep all of your things during the day and other people left their suitcases and backpacks there - it's the room where you start your day at and eat lunch, get the opening remarks, and go back to after every interview for your tours and such

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

a resurrected prior year advice post from a Dad of a 2016 BCM grad who smoked her steps (93rd percentile) and landed a prestigious ortho residency...

So y'all will know...you will likely have 2 interviews: 1 with a student, and 1 with a faculty member...could be 2 faculty members. The student interview might even seem more daunting/probing, but generally the interview process is user-friendly @ BCM. It can be a long day...be prepared to walk.

re (one actual BCM interview):
Interviews obviously go according to the interviewer. My two people asked typical questions of why medicine, strengths and weaknesses, tell me about yourself, etc. Not too many weird questions out of the blue. They were nice, so I felt good about them. I think that's the general consensus among us interviewees. Just make sure to smile and be polite!
clear.png

~~~~~

Good stuff above, folks.
I have never heard complaints (over several application cycles here-- since 2012) about daunting/intimidating interviews at BCM...pretty user-friendly as such things go.

And, thank gawd, none of that weird group interview junk that some schools do (Emory, e.g., has done the group, cattle call thing) where one self-absorbed idiot dominates the conversation or gets off on pointless tangents.

You will now have about a 20% chance (they are interviewing more candidates) of an offer once you interview (a bit better percentage chance IS versus OOS), so the interview IS important. You want to sell yourself with a calm, warm/pleasant self confidence, but no cockiness. Someone said that they want people they could envision treating/caring for their mothers. Interviewing is a learned skill which might not be intuitive to you (see below).

Some essentials about any interview, for whatever goal, anywhere, anytime--

No matter where you interview (for jobs, volunteer work, medical schools, residencies, whatever) the same factors hold true----> be on time...let your interviewer sit down first...smile and try to maintain apropos eye contact. It is a good sign if the interviewer starts trying to sell you on her shop/modus vivendi.

Dress appropriately (skip the black suits, guys-- the undertaker look!)...better medium to dark gray, or medium to dark blue; black/cordovan belt, and shined shoes. No facial hair or long hair. You can later grow the beard if you go into Psychiatry! ;~)

Girls, a conservative suit (navy, gray or black), or nice blouse and skirt. Wear flesh-color hose and flats or short pump. Moderate makeup and simple jewelry. Being cute/comely helps-- trust me! Every interviewing test proves this! (Sorry PC-obsessed!)

Smile and be positive, but not importunate/overeager.

ALWAYS MAINTAIN APROPOS EYE CONTACT!

Have an intelligent couple of questions to ask. Thank them graciously for their time.

They will likely interview 6 candidates that day-- trust me, you will run together in their memory. It is better to be first, or last, among the candidates they interview in a train of 6 candidates. Everybody who interviews is qualified to be there...can YOU make a distinctive impression?

Have something to note about why you like the BCM program: class diversity and competitive entry quality (always top handful among Lizzy M averages of acceptees), the 18-month preclinical period (versus 24 month); the renowned and engaged faculty; the proven results/success (often nation-leading average step scores and impressive match lists); perhaps the PRN (Peer Resource Network) program:

https://www.bcm.edu/education/schoo...t-affairs/class-of-2021/peer-resource-network

Don't mention any imagined shortcoming you have-- you are already at the interview!

Chew some peppermint gum (before only)...no cologne/perfume. Hit the rest room just before...dry your palms...check your wind-blown hair.

Interview invite today, complete 8/10! Very excited!