2018-2019 Baylor College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the expenses portion if I had my family pay for everything so far does that mean I put 100% in the loan/other category?
I think so, yes. It's not a scholarship and not employment, so it must go in Loans/other

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
yah, but i dont see the question there. The MD/PhD secondary is on the same screen lol
Oh I see... I think your plan to wait for a day and contact them if it hasn't changed is a good idea.

Oh I see... I think your plan to wait for a day and contact them if it hasn't changed is a good idea.

I contacted them. A quick page source check revealed an error in the web-page CSS. Should be an easy fix once they are aware; in any case, didnt work for me on 3 browsers

Nope, still the same. Did your's get fixed? on its own?
No it's still the same and when I login to the secondary itself it says submitted. I think I'll wait another day or so I've heard it can take some time from the time of hitting send to actually being marked "complete" at some schools.

Question to those who can access the secondary: if you put in your essay and save that page, is it turning all of your dashes and apostrophes into question marks? i.e. "I've" becomes "I?ve". Any thoughts on this or is this special glitch just for me? And yes, I know that technically in formal writing, contractions aren't an acceptable thing...but character limits.

Question to those who can access the secondary: if you put in your essay and save that page, is it turning all of your dashes and apostrophes into question marks? i.e. "I've" becomes "I?ve". Any thoughts on this or is this special glitch just for me? And yes, I know that technically in formal writing, contractions aren't an acceptable thing...but character limits.
I had that happen to me too.

from the AMCAS instruction manual:
  1. Formatting Your Essay

Medical schools receive all text entry responses as plain text. Therefore, formatting options such as bulleted lists, indented paragraphs, and bold/italic fonts do not appear for reviewers and are not available in the AMCAS application. You may want to include an extra space between paragraphs because the essay does not permit indentation.

To avoid formatting issues, we recommend that you type your essay directly into your AMCAS application; copying formatted text into the application may result in formatting problems that cannot be edited after your application is submitted. If you do cut and paste your essay(s) into the application, you should draft your essay(s) in a plain text format, such as Microsoft Notepad or Mac TextEdit.

from the AMCAS instruction manual:
  1. Formatting Your Essay

Medical schools receive all text entry responses as plain text. Therefore, formatting options such as bulleted lists, indented paragraphs, and bold/italic fonts do not appear for reviewers and are not available in the AMCAS application. You may want to include an extra space between paragraphs because the essay does not permit indentation.

To avoid formatting issues, we recommend that you type your essay directly into your AMCAS application; copying formatted text into the application may result in formatting problems that cannot be edited after your application is submitted. If you do cut and paste your essay(s) into the application, you should draft your essay(s) in a plain text format, such as Microsoft Notepad or Mac TextEdit.
I read that and copy and pasted into an intermediate plain text format, so I guess I’ll try a different one later and see if that fixes my issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone else taking a gap year, how are you approaching that question? Obviously the gap year has just started so mostly it's going to be about what I have planned, but since I haven't actually done it yet I don't have anything to reflect upon. Would it be appropriate to talk about why I'm doing what I'm doing and what I hope to get out of it, or do you think they're really just looking for a description? The question doesn't ask for elaboration but it seems like it's going to be pretty dry if I just give a description of the program I'm participating in.

For anyone else taking a gap year, how are you approaching that question? Obviously the gap year has just started so mostly it's going to be about what I have planned, but since I haven't actually done it yet I don't have anything to reflect upon. Would it be appropriate to talk about why I'm doing what I'm doing and what I hope to get out of it, or do you think they're really just looking for a description? The question doesn't ask for elaboration but it seems like it's going to be pretty dry if I just give a description of the program I'm participating in.

I only have a gap semester that will start in December. I wrote about what my plans are, why I'm choosing to pursue them, and what I hope to learn from it.

I'm looking for a few more people to read over my secondary before I submit, so message me if you want to swap!

When I went to the print application page, it said something about "secure funds" and then said yes. Do y'all know what secure funds means?

When I went to the print application page, it said something about "secure funds" and then said yes. Do y'all know what secure funds means?
I havn't done the app yet but I assume it's referring to paying the secondary app fee

Does anyone get a "There was a problem retrieving your record" page when trying to check status?

I only have a gap semester that will start in December. I wrote about what my plans are, why I'm choosing to pursue them, and what I hope to learn from it.
I contacted Baylor because I'm in the same boat and they said they would prefer that we leave it blank if we're graduating a semester early or not taking an entire year off college before applying. Other scenarios while still "a gap in time" isn't what a gap year is.

wtf what letters do i send these people. they say 3-4 letters from "people that know you" or whatever

i got two science letters, one humanities letter, one letter from an md at a clinic i volunteer at, and one from the pi of a lab i'm at.

one science, one humanities, and then the other two???

Baylor doesn’t have a preference. Pick your best 3-4 letters.

I went through several years of past threads and before IIs have started going out on the last Tuesday in July. My guess is July 24 or 31 this year

I went through several years of past threads and before IIs have started going out on the last Tuesday in July. My guess is July 24 or 31 this year
I'm going to place my bet on July 24 :)

Under the "Advisors" tab, where it says "Information may be provided to the primary undergraduate school you have attended", who are they referring to here? My school doesn't have a committee or composite letter or anything like that. Should I check yes or no for this section?

Under the "Advisors" tab, where it says "Information may be provided to the primary undergraduate school you have attended", who are they referring to here? My school doesn't have a committee or composite letter or anything like that. Should I check yes or no for this section?
I think thats just if your school is collecting data on the success of its applicants and whether or not you wanna share than info.

If you wanna be 1000000% sure you could just call em lol

Anyone else anxious about what tomorrow might bring :eek:

YESSSSSS!!!!!!! BAYLORRRRRR LETS GOOOOO II!!!!!!! :)

Complete 7/1

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Those of you with an II, did they email you or did you check have to check the portal?

This might be a silly question, but if we don't have a green card or need student hosting we can just leave those forms incomplete right?

This might be a silly question, but if we don't have a green card or need student hosting we can just leave those forms incomplete right?
For the green card form, I think so (since it says if applicable). I'm not sure about the student housing request form, though.

II about an hour ago!

II !! Lizzy M~ 76. IS. Submitted 7/2

Anyone with LizzyM 74 hear anything yet? Im around there still hoping by my computer. Obviously its early... just curious and BCM is my top pick.