2018-2019 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, your interview will be 2 on 1. One faculty member and a community member who can be a Doctor in the area, banker, city council member, state official, businessman, etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Do you know how many applicants apply to ARCOM

Im doing the math here
if they Interview 10% of 5000 applicants yielding around 500 with only about 150 spots
Accepting slightly more then they need is about 40% chance of being admitted

Am I doing something wrong here? How could it be 60-80%

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What an efficient admissions office. Completed this weekend, and got the II today!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow

Are community leaders there to ask generic questions or more so how you can help the community...how you will change the area...what can you bring to ARCOM

Or are the state/community/city council members asking you why osteopathic medicine?

Thanks in advance for the insight

The community member basically asks what you can bring to the community and pretty much why you are interested in Arkansas. They don’t ask physician or medical school related questions since most of the time they are not in that field. But of course if they are practicing physicians then everything is fair game

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
The community member basically asks what you can bring to the community and pretty much why you are interested in Arkansas. They don’t ask physician or medical school related questions since most of the time they are not in that field. But of course if they are practicing physicians then everything is fair game

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Mine didn't really ask much since I was from Arkansas

Just submitted I, It still says complete recommendation letter. I submitted them via AACOMAS. Do I need to do anything else?

Anyone know if they silent screen? Primary was in 6/15. Haven't heard anything about a secondary.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Anyone know if they silent screen? Primary was in 6/15. Haven't heard anything about a secondary.

They do not. I got an email last year pre new mcat saying no secondary

Do you know how many applicants apply to ARCOM

Im doing the math here
if they Interview 10% of 5000 applicants yielding around 500 with only about 150 spots
Accepting slightly more then they need is about 40% chance of being admitted

Am I doing something wrong here? How could it be 60-80%
Ok so we are in our orientation this week, and they told us that they had 4200 applicants and 900 interviews for 150 spots.

Edit: And when I said 60-80 percent. This was off of the people that the schools interviewed. So that would be 60 to 80 percent of 900 people in this case.

Last edited:
Wow

Are community leaders there to ask generic questions or more so how you can help the community...how you will change the area...what can you bring to ARCOM

Or are the state/community/city council members asking you why osteopathic medicine?

Thanks in advance for the insight
They can ask generic questions or questions about how you can help the community because you know ARCOM's mission is geared towards serving their underserved population and helping the state with its bad reputation in terms of Healthcare. So I'd say it really depends on the interviewer, but just know that the interview is very relax and everyone is super friendly.

Same boat here. Got a "primary received" email weeks ago but still silent about a secondary

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so we are in our orientation this week, and they told us that they had 4200 applicants and 900 interviews for 150 spots.

Edit: And when I said 60-80 percent. This was off of the people that the schools interviewed. So that would be 60 to 80 percent of 900 people in this case.

So they accept nearly 3x as many students as they can hold

Going low: 60% of 900 is 540 acceptances
so do they really offer 540 acceptances knowing that many will go elsewhere?

If so, thats crazy!

Is there any way I can see these stats online?

So they accept nearly 3x as many students as they can hold

Going low: 60% of 900 is 540 acceptances
so do they really offer 540 acceptances knowing that many will go elsewhere?

If so, thats crazy!

Is there any way I can see these stats online?
Schools all over do that. ARCOM especially since they are a new school so some people will choose the more established school if they get in

Schools all over do that. ARCOM especially since they are a new school so some people will choose the more established school if they get in

I thought they would accept an extra 50-75 students not 3x the class size

Thanks for the insight.

On average how long did it take to get a secondary after the "we received your application" email??

Interview invite today! Excited!

Just submitted I, It still says complete recommendation letter. I submitted them via AACOMAS. Do I need to do anything else?

Did you complete the "LOR Acknowledgement" tab when you did your secondary? I submitted via AACOMAS, but I had to complete that as well.

did anyone just write N/A for the first 3 text boxes about additional information not on your AACOMAS application? I'm still racking in hours, but at the places that I have listed on my primary application

did anyone just write N/A for the first 3 text boxes about additional information not on your AACOMAS application? I'm still racking in hours, but at the places that I have listed on my primary application

I did

I submitted primary on 6/19 but still no secondary :( Should I reach out? I have received a majority of other secondaries so I don't think cutoff would be an issue.

I submitted primary on 6/19 but still no secondary :( Should I reach out? I have received a majority of other secondaries so I don't think cutoff would be an issue.

I don't think it would hurt to send a polite email. One thing I've learned this semester after having two invites get screened by my school's spam filter is that it is reasonable to be concerned. As a matter of fact, I was one day away from losing one of my II's because it was about to expire but had been blocked by my school email.

According to US News Medical School Database, admission stats for ARCOM's first class (2017-2018) were as follows:

1481 Applied
413 Interviewed
366 Accepted
162 Enrolled
39 Instate Enrolled
123 Out of State Enrolled
3.46 Median GPA
498 Median MCAT

Reactions: 3 users
According to US News Medical School Database, admission stats for ARCOM's first class (2017-2018) were as follows:

1481 Applied
413 Interviewed
366 Accepted
162 Enrolled
39 Instate Enrolled
123 Out of State Enrolled
3.46 Median GPA
498 Median MCAT
And this years is going to be vastly different.

Reactions: 2 users

Their website says "secondaries will be made available to selected applicants". So they may be doing so.

I got the primary received email on 7/23 and haven't gotten a secondary... But then again, two of my other D.O. schools took forever to send secondaries so who knows.

Maybe we can meet before the interview to lessen the anxiety

I'd like that! I get in the day before sometime in the afternoon

Got the II yesterday, scheduled for August 24th!

Hi guys, do I need a letter of recommendation from a do to apply to this school? I have two letters of recommendation from two MD doctors

Secondary 8/1
Complete 8/2
II 8/4

Quick turnaround, will be interviewing here on 9/25

Hi guys, do I need a letter of recommendation from a do to apply to this school? I have two letters of recommendation from two MD doctors
Yes it is required to have it. Last year, they still interviewed people that didn't have a DO letter, but then they put them on hold post-interview until they submitted a DO letter to get decision.

Reactions: 2 users
To those who received interview invites, did you guys do the Casper test?