This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! I applied late in the last cycle and so my application was rolled over to the current one. 3.2sGPA 3.2 cGPA; haven't taken the MCAT yet. I'm planing to take it in April. Do you guys think I have good chances? :((((( I really want to do the VCOM program. I went to their open house and LOVED it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! I applied late in the last cycle and so my application was rolled over to the current one. 3.2sGPA 3.2 cGPA; haven't taken the MCAT yet. I'm planing to take it in April. Do you guys think I have good chances? :((((( I really want to do the VCOM program. I went to their open house and LOVED it!

Well you have a good enough GPA for the program. Are you from the area? That gives you a significant advantage as they want people from their own state or the surrounding ones.

Well you have a good enough GPA for the program. Are you from the area? That gives you a significant advantage as they want people from their own state or the surrounding ones.
Yes!! I'm from Manassas, Virginia. I hope so!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes!! I'm from Manassas, Virginia. I hope so!

Oh yeah you have a good shot then assuming you can write decently for the essays. That was def the hardest part for me.

Oh yeah you have a good shot then assuming you can write decently for the essays. That was def the hardest part for me.
Hopefully!! I think I did pretty good on the essays. I already liked the school, but after going on campus for the open house, I was so inspired by the students and how they got where they are. I could definitely relate. That helped me a lot in writing my essays and I just knew I belong there. But anyway, best luck!

don't go to the do school post bacc..
do one at a big university with a linked MD school

don't go to the do school post bacc..
do one at a big university with a linked MD school

Haha what?? Not everyone can be competitive for an MD post-bacc program lol. There are a lot more factors involved.

Haha what?? Not everyone can be competitive for an MD post-bacc program lol. There are a lot more factors involved.
sure they can...i know a girl wit a 501 mcat and a 3.0 gpa who just finished her post bacc at drexel.

go to a big name post bacc...grade inflation exists there...it has to...if their students dont match to med schools the program won't attract pre-medical students.

sure they can...i know a girl wit a 501 mcat and a 3.0 gpa who just finished her post bacc at drexel.

go to a big name post bacc...grade inflation exists there...it has to...if their students dont match to med schools the program won't attract pre-medical students.

Which program was she in? They have like 5 and now I'm curious lol

Is there a confirmation email that gets sent at some point? I submitted everything but I haven't heard anything that it's verified, but it was only a little over a week ago that I applied.

Is there a confirmation email that gets sent at some point? I submitted everything but I haven't heard anything that it's verified, but it was only a little over a week ago that I applied.

You should email Alisa Hewitt and ask her about your application at "[email protected]". They don't send any confirmation email so you have to ask about your status.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should email Alisa Hewitt and ask her about your application at "[email protected]". They don't send any confirmation email so you have to ask about your status.

Sounds good. It hasn't been the 14 days they said to wait before checking so I'll chill out a bit then hit them up a couple days past that time to make sure everything got submitted properly.

Honestly I've never heard of another program with such few complaints lol it seems like such a good school!
I applied back in January-- 3.2, 500 MCAT. Hope I get in, but good luck to everyone else too!!

So Ms.Hewitt is not responding to emails...I'll call Monday...but does anyone know when we should expect an answer?

When did you email initially? It's Saturday so I wouldn't have expected anything today :p

Feb 8th. I'll try calling tomm!

Idk I'd be scared to come across as needy to the program. Only two business days with no reply doesn't seem like a big deal but I guess it depends on what you were contacting her for. If it was just an update, I wouldn't harass her about it so soon.

Do you guys think it's too late to apply? I'm really interested in the program, and I just have one more essay to write... been having so much trouble writing those. And hoping I still have a chance. My stats are normal, 3.6/3.0 c/sGPA and I won't take my mcat till June. What do you guys think?

Do you guys think it's too late to apply? I'm really interested in the program, and I just have one more essay to write... been having so much trouble writing those. And hoping I still have a chance. My stats are normal, 3.6/3.0 c/sGPA and I won't take my mcat till June. What do you guys think?

Do you really need a post bac with a 3.6 GPA? What does your trend look like? A good MCAT could get you in somewhere without a post bacc.

Do you really need a post bac with a 3.6 GPA? What does your trend look like? A good MCAT could get you in somewhere without a post bacc.
Ah that's just my cumulative gpa tho. Science gpa is at a 3.0 so I thought post bacc would be helpful to prepare me for med school

Do you think I can still apply if I submit my application within this week?

Since this is a post-bacc, you would need private loans to fund this, correct?

Feb 8th. I'll try calling tomm!

So far with me I've always gotten through with calling them(after many attempts) .... The mornings were never successful (that was Oct-Dec though). I do agree with not pressuring them, I think they are still reviewing applications so patience is always key. Good luck!!

Last edited:
You still have time, only Feb. If you take your MCAT in June make sure to put time into your essay to sell yourself....

You still have time, only Feb. If you take your MCAT in June make sure to put time into your essay to sell yourself....
I've written them but I'm not sure if they're any good. Having trouble getting into the mindset >.<.

So I got an update from the program that my file will be sent to the admissions committee by end of next week or so. I didn't call, as some of you suggested, she responded thru the email. :)

Anyways, did you guys know about their laptop policy? They require a windows-based laptop and Mac's are not allowed due to their exam apps..lol...

http://www.vcom.edu/students/computer-requirements

Reactions: 1 users
So I got an update from the program that my file will be sent to the admissions committee by end of next week or so. I didn't call, as some of you suggested, she responded thru the email. :)

Anyways, did you guys know about their laptop policy? They require a windows-based laptop and Mac's are not allowed due to their exam apps..lol...

When did you apply? I originally applied to their DO program and decided to switch after i submitted my secondary because of my mcat score. But i started this process in November

Nice! I submitted 2 days before you so I can probably expect a similar timeline. Macs are garbo in both usage and support, so I don't blame them. (I work in IT :p).

I did see that you're supposed to take the exams on your laptop. Is that done in class? Is it a special software you run in class that prevents you from cheating? I've never had a class that had exams done on a personal computer unless the class was fully online.

I remember seeing that in the 2016 forum about the laptops...

Edit: However, if I remember correctly some of them still used their Mac computers.

When did you apply? I originally applied to their DO program and decided to switch after i submitted my secondary because of my mcat score. But i started this process in November

I also applied through AACOMAS on 1/26 and submitted the app for the Grad program on 1/31.
I don't have high hopes though because I have yet to take the mcat, and although the mcat is not required for this program, I bet they like taking students who have already taken it.

You can always email them and ask your status.

Nice! I submitted 2 days before you so I can probably expect a similar timeline. Macs are garbo in both usage and support, so I don't blame them. (I work in IT :p).

I did see that you're supposed to take the exams on your laptop. Is that done in class? Is it a special software you run in class that prevents you from cheating? I've never had a class that had exams done on a personal computer unless the class was fully online.

lol I can talk for days why the mac is better than Pc...but that's for another time. :p

I don't know specifically for VCOM, but other schools use a program called ExamSoft, where students take their exams on. It's very secure, uses passwords given by faculty and yeah you cannot exit it once begun. GL with your app.

I've written them but I'm not sure if they're any good. Having trouble getting into the mindset >.<.
I will be submitting my application tomorrow. I was also having a tough time trying to write the essays.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you as I've been accepted DO this cycle and will no longer be doing the program. Would definitely give the post bacc admissions a call!

Can you share your stat. My daughter is interested in applying to DO. her SGPA is 3.8. her Mcat is coming on 21st.

Can you share your stat. My daughter is interested in applying to DO. her SGPA is 3.8. her Mcat is coming on 21st.

I'm a 3.6 student with a 502 MCAT! I did very well this cycle so I'd say your daughter should be in very good shape with an MCAT >499

Why waste a year on this program. Anyone with a 3.5+ and a 500 MCAT is DO competitive. Just my 2 cents.

I'm a 3.6 student with a 502 MCAT! I did very well this cycle so I'd say your daughter should be in very good shape with an MCAT >499

Thanks. Any advise on EC she should focus on and when to apply. Also any one section 124 would that be a red flag.

Submitted my app but worried about getting in since I am living in PA now. I know they emphasize being from the Appalachian area. I went to undergrad in the mountains of NC but am working on my masters degree in Pittsburgh. Anyone from PA gotten in before? If so did they let you stay in Virginia or move you to another campus after the post-bacc year?

Thanks. Any advise on EC she should focus on and when to apply. Also any one section 124 would that be a red flag.

It's always best to apply early... She should look into pre med clubs, they usually offer volunteer experiences. Try to join a club that offers shadowing as well. Look into shadowing a DO preferably. Also, if she has talent or a hobby this good too(chorus, tennis,volly,basketball,etc) it shows variability/versatility.

Submitted my app but worried about getting in since I am living in PA now. I know they emphasize being from the Appalachian area. I went to undergrad in the mountains of NC but am working on my masters degree in Pittsburgh. Anyone from PA gotten in before? If so did they let you stay in Virginia or move you to another campus after the post-bacc year?

People have gotten in from the west coast. Just don't expect to stay at the VA campus if you're not from VA.

People have gotten in from the west coast. Just don't expect to stay at the VA campus if you're not from VA.
Any idea of what campus they would send me to? SC and Auburn aren't really the closest to PA is why I ask.

They select your location based off your permanent address. If it's closer to PA then they shouldnt move you.

Hi! I found out that I was accepted today and I am currently living on the west coast so I don't think it really matters where you are from. I also have no ties to the Appalachian area if that helps.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi! I found out that I was accepted today and I am currently living on the west coast so I don't think it really matters where you are from. I also have no ties to the Appalachian area if that helps.

Congratulations! It's exciting to hear that they have started accepting.

Do you mind me asking what your stats were? And when did you apply?