2017 PHAP (Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yay! I wonder if there is something specific needed in Alaska or Guam at this time...I've been to Alaska but I would Def feel out of my "California weather" element for 2 years.

I've talked to a few PHAPs, and it seems that no one got placed in an area that would even be considered a commute from where they currently live. Did you get that feel too?

I did get that feeling! While my interviewer kept stressing that we have to be open to relocate (I think she was required to keep saying that), I think that we will be placed within our top region. Even all of the former and current PHAPs I've talked to (about 5), were placed within their top region.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How did it go? I usually get really nervous before interviews but the nerves fade away once I'm actually there.
I was super nervous but he was SUPER cool and made me feel relaxed

Reactions: 1 users
I did get that feeling! While my interviewer kept stressing that we have to be open to relocate (I think she was required to keep saying that), I think that we will be placed within our top region. Even all of the former and current PHAPs I've talked to (about 5), were placed within their top region.

Yup! Its roughly 90% get their top region.. and the trend seems to favor a minimum of 6 hours away from current address. I am willing to relocate but I was hoping for something within a 2 hour drive. Hopefully there is such need for me to stay put. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup! Its roughly 90% get their top region.. and the trend seems to favor a minimum of 6 hours away from current address. I am willing to relocate but I was hoping for something within a 2 hour drive. Hopefully there is such need for me to stay put. :)
Exactly! I was told that same thing by a former. 6 hours from Atlanta puts me either in the outskirts of my region of choice or another region altogether lol :laugh:

Last edited:
Hi guys!
I've been looking into PHAP recently, as a public health undergrad. A question: Due to credit from high school and being selective about my classes, I could finish my undergraduate next year, a year early (in only three years), and I want to apply to PHAP. Does anyone know if I would be eligible, since I'm completing my degree in three years? I assume there would be a precedent for this? I think I could be fairly competitive, I'm just not sure if this one technicality would screen me out, since they want their candidates to graduate from a "four year course of study". Or maybe they don't care as long as you have your bachelor's?
Thanks so much!

Hi guys!
I've been looking into PHAP recently, as a public health undergrad. A question: Due to credit from high school and being selective about my classes, I could finish my undergraduate next year, a year early (in only three years), and I want to apply to PHAP. Does anyone know if I would be eligible, since I'm completing my degree in three years? I assume there would be a precedent for this? I think I could be fairly competitive, I'm just not sure if this one technicality would screen me out, since they want their candidates to graduate from a "four year course of study". Or maybe they don't care as long as you have your bachelor's?
Thanks so much!

You're fine as long as you have your bachelor's!

I just finished my interview and I think it went great. I was super comfortable with my interviewer and I had the chance to build a rapport with her. The first 4 or 5 questions are typical behavioral questions and the last one was definitely interesting.

My interviewer also explained that the regional question doesn't help or hurt you. Good luck everyone!!

You're so lucky that your interviewer interacted with you! Mine pretty much stuck straight to the script given with a straight face and didn't say anything else (granted, I was the last interview of the day and my interviewer must have been tired, but I had still been hoping for a more lively interview). Best of luck to you!

Hey unicornshadow888 - were you still able to be interviewed even though you didn't write back with your skype username the day before? I have an interview scheduled on Friday and I wrote them this morning to provide my username. They wrote back and said I would NOT be interviewed because I didn't provide my username by April 5th, even though that deadline is NOT conveyed in the email. I am soooooo upset.

I scheduled the interview via Doodle by the 4/5 deadline, but a deadline was NOT clear for providing the skype name. Does anybody have any suggestions for someone to contact? If this had been my mistake, i would of course accept this decision. But the deadline to provide the skype username was NOT provided in the email.

Any info anyone can give me would be appreciated. I'm absolutely positively heartbroken. :(

What was your outcome with this? I am having a very similar problem. I wasn't aware there was a specific deadline to send Skype information and had relayed my information last week with no response. Now my interview is on Monday morning and have no idea if the interviewer has my information to call me or not. Did you end up having your interview or did they definitely disqualify you?
I am so nervous and think it would be unfair to be disqualified for something that was so unclear.

Glad to have came across this forum! I've applied and doing interview soon, nerves in full effect lol anyone have any feedback on how the interview process goes?

What was your outcome with this? I am having a very similar problem. I wasn't aware there was a specific deadline to send Skype information and had relayed my information last week with no response. Now my interview is on Monday morning and have no idea if the interviewer has my information to call me or not. Did you end up having your interview or did they definitely disqualify you?
I am so nervous and think it would be unfair to be disqualified for something that was so unclear.
Where does Skype information have to be entered? I received the deadline to select a skype appointment but in that I was only required to provide my email. I was under the impression that the interviewer would add me before the interview starts by name or email, mine is set for tomorrow.

Where does Skype information have to be entered? I received the deadline to select a skype appointment but in that I was only required to provide my email. I was under the impression that the interviewer would add me before the interview starts by name or email, mine is set for tomorrow.
Unfortunately, it seems that consensus was that the deadline to provide Skype information to PHAP was the same deadline to choose an interview date and time. Hopefully, someone who has experienced this situation will get back to you. I know one person was able to email them the morning of their interview and still successfully had an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad to have came across this forum! I've applied and doing interview soon, nerves in full effect lol anyone have any feedback on how the interview process goes?
I'm usually a nervous wreck when completing interviews (stuttering and getting tongue tied lol), but the nerves quickly went away. My experience on Thursday was rather positive and straightforward (it's 6 questions total). If you spend some time practicing interview questions, you'll be fine! Good luck! Don't stress too much about it.

I'm usually a nervous wreck when completing interviews (stuttering and getting tongue tied lol), but the nerves quickly went away. My experience on Thursday was rather positive and straightforward (it's 6 questions total). If you spend some time practicing interview questions, you'll be fine! Good luck! Don't stress too much about it.
Yess! I am too! I've been practicing behavioral questions and delivery but not knowing what I'll be asked is torturous lol I will say reading responses here have definitely eased me a little. I think I can make it through 5 questions. No more stressing just going to take a deep breath and be my wonderful self :)

Yess! I am too! I've been practicing behavioral questions and delivery but not knowing what I'll be asked is torturous lol I will say reading responses here have definitely eased me a little. I think I can make it through 5 questions. No more stressing just going to take a deep breath and be my wonderful self :)
Oh, you've definitely got this! If you've been practicing, then you're fine. The first 5 are literally standard interview questions.

Oh, you've definitely got this! If you've been practicing, then you're fine. The first 5 are literally standard interview questions.
Perfect! Thank you, I'll check back in with my experience to help anyone else who deals with overactive nerves lol

I was just informed on Friday that I, too, was disqualified for not sending in my Skype name by April 5. My interview is scheduled for Wednesday. I completely agree....the email was very easy to misinterpret. However, I did provided the email linked with my Skype via the Doodle schedule. Did you happen to call someone else involved in PHAP to explain the circumstances? Could you please let us know if you were able to proceed with the interview at your scheduled time? I do hope that you were able to sort things out! Good luck!

Hey guys, apparently people from other years started getting calls/emails around June 10th.... so only one more month of waiting :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, apparently people from other years started getting calls/emails around June 10th.... so only one more month of waiting :)
I hope this time flies by lol. A month seems so long, but we managed to make it through the other rounds. We've got this!!

Reactions: 2 users
June 10th seems SUPER far away! I hope everybody did great in their interviews so far. I hope i get picked in my 1st preference region though!

Reactions: 3 users
I was just informed on Friday that I, too, was disqualified for not sending in my Skype name by April 5. My interview is scheduled for Wednesday. I completely agree....the email was very easy to misinterpret. However, I did provided the email linked with my Skype via the Doodle schedule. Did you happen to call someone else involved in PHAP to explain the circumstances? Could you please let us know if you were able to proceed with the interview at your scheduled time? I do hope that you were able to sort things out! Good luck!

Unfortunately I have had absolutely no lucky with this. I only received the email saying I would no longer allowed to be interviewed as of this morning. I had sent a letter to a man who contacted me AFTER the April 5 date stating there were issues with doodle and that he did not have my scheduled interview time or information.. I relayed the time and date I had chosen and he confirmed it. From there on I assumed they had all the information that had been lost in the process. My bad I guess.

However, if enough of us are having the same disqualification I think we have the power to band together and request an interview because we've made it this far and this seems like an utterly absurd disqualification... especially in my circumstance when my interview had been confirmed after the April 5 due date. There was an issue with my Doodle and because of that I am not allowed to interview?? I sent a letter to both the man I had spoken with after the due date as well as the PHAP email expressing my continual devotion to this 2017 program. I hope they respond with a second chance, even though I know this is the last week of interviews.

Does anyone on here have any further suggestions for something I should do? Its just so hard for me to let go when I was arranged a time and date. Thanks.

Has anyone ran into the issue of your interviewer being late or missing the appointment? I called PHAP and they confirmed that I have an interview today but the person has not called me via Skype. I was even added by the contact skype ID on skype.

I hope every one else's interviews have gone well!

June 10th seems SUPER far away! I hope everybody did great in their interviews so far. I hope i get picked in my 1st preference region though!
Same here! I keep reading the forum from last year and one person was lucky enough to stay in the city that she already lives in. I would LOVE to stay in the Southeast, but being accepted and offered a position will definitely be good enough lol.

I found this presentation on the CDC's website to give better insight into the program (and the number of applications in the past) and reasons why we'll be waiting for so long. The host site application process:
By January
– Develop your associate’s training experience and work plan based on the CO-STARR model
– Complete PHAP application to host an associate
May – June
– Host sites notified of the outcome of their application
July – August
– Matching of accepted PHAP candidates to PHAP host sites
October
– New associates report to host sites
Late October/Early November
– Five-day orientation in Atlanta at CDC headquarters

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-04-24 at 5.44.35 PM.png
    Screenshot 2017-04-24 at 5.44.35 PM.png
    149.8 KB · Views: 63
Has anyone ran into the issue of your interviewer being late or missing the appointment? I called PHAP and they confirmed that I have an interview today but the person has not called me via Skype. I was even added by the contact skype ID on skype.

Yes! I had my interview today at 1 pm. The interviewer did not add me until about 1:20 and called me at 1:30. Apparently my name was misspelled somewhere so it took him long to find me. It was so nerve wracking though as I had read previous people's posts stating their interviewer added them 30 min or 15 min beforehand :s

Oh man.. did you call try calling the bridge number from the email they sent us?

Hi all,

Does anyone know if decisions should come out in mid-June or mid-July? The timeline posted in the CDC-PHAP website says mid-June, but I noted that my interviewer said applicants will be notified mid-July.

Trivial question, but the wait is killing me. Best of luck to all you fellow applicants!

Hi all,

Does anyone know if decisions should come out in mid-June or mid-July? The timeline posted in the CDC-PHAP website says mid-June, but I noted that my interviewer said applicants will be notified mid-July.

Trivial question, but the wait is killing me. Best of luck to all you fellow applicants!
I think they may contact in waves maybe. I noticed that's how it went for the past few years. They called one group then went down the line until all positions were filled. I could be wrong though. Last year, the first person got their call June 9 or 10 and the year before that it was around that time.

Unfortunately I have had absolutely no lucky with this. I only received the email saying I would no longer allowed to be interviewed as of this morning. I had sent a letter to a man who contacted me AFTER the April 5 date stating there were issues with doodle and that he did not have my scheduled interview time or information.. I relayed the time and date I had chosen and he confirmed it. From there on I assumed they had all the information that had been lost in the process. My bad I guess.

However, if enough of us are having the same disqualification I think we have the power to band together and request an interview because we've made it this far and this seems like an utterly absurd disqualification... especially in my circumstance when my interview had been confirmed after the April 5 due date. There was an issue with my Doodle and because of that I am not allowed to interview?? I sent a letter to both the man I had spoken with after the due date as well as the PHAP email expressing my continual devotion to this 2017 program. I hope they respond with a second chance, even though I know this is the last week of interviews.

Does anyone on here have any further suggestions for something I should do? Its just so hard for me to let go when I was arranged a time and date. Thanks.
I'm sorry to hear that this was an issue. It doesn't hurt to keep reaching out to inquire. The staff may learn from the experience to make it better for next year, but also it means you are also better prepared.

My experiences working with government is always frustrating with paperwork and how responses should be given. Some agencies had me redo some forms because I put the date as mm/dd/yyyy, instead of ddMONyy or mm/dd/yy. These frustrations will always be there but prepares people for the work. Sadly.

If there are multiple people with the same issue there is a higher chance for change, but it maybe also be the person you get into contact with. Best of luck this round and if not, best of luck next round!

I think they may contact in waves maybe. I noticed that's how it went for the past few years. They called one group then went down the line until all positions were filled. I could be wrong though. Last year, the first person got their call June 9 or 10 and the year before that it was around that time.

Thanks! That helps. Hopefully the timeline this year is similar. Do you all think they will contact all interviewees even if they don't get it or only contact the selected candidates?

Last edited:
Thanks! That helps. Hopefully the timeline this year is similar. Do you all think they will contact all interviewees even if they don't get it or only contact the selected candidates?
They only contact those who will be offered a position, which sucks! A lot of people heard during different times so it leaves you hanging until you assume you didn't get it

For anyone who was wondering, according to my interviewer, they'll start contacting us if we got accepted on July 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, does anyone know (or have a theory concerning!) how the final decisions are made as to who PHAP extends invites to? For example, is each step (resume, personal statement, interview) ranked equally, with a cumulative "score" being used to determine who receives an offer? Or seeing that we all made it to the interview stage and therefore performed well in steps 1 and 2, does the interview in effect really make or break you?

Unlike other interviews, my PHAP interviewer did not seem at all familiar with my resume/past experiences and did not even know if I was an undergrad or postgrad. He stuck solely to the 5 question script and there was no "tell me about yourself question," so I'm hoping the final decision does not solely come down to the brief interview in isolation of the rest of our application!

Hi all, does anyone know (or have a theory concerning!) how the final decisions are made as to who PHAP extends invites to? For example, is each step (resume, personal statement, interview) ranked equally, with a cumulative "score" being used to determine who receives an offer? Or seeing that we all made it to the interview stage and therefore performed well in steps 1 and 2, does the interview in effect really make or break you?

Unlike other interviews, my PHAP interviewer did not seem at all familiar with my resume/past experiences and did not even know if I was an undergrad or postgrad. He stuck solely to the 5 question script and there was no "tell me about yourself question," so I'm hoping the final decision does not solely come down to the brief interview in isolation of the rest of our application!
That's a really good question! I was reading the old boards and there didn't seem to be too much insight on the selection process. I think everyone is ranked depending on your USAJobs app, then your personal statement (how much do you meet their BEST FIT and other potential criteria) and finally how well you did on the interview. I wish it was the case that because you interviewed, you essentially have a spot in PHAP, but they are looking for candidates that can be matched with the number of host sites that made it to the final round as well (if that makes sense).

Like you, my interviewer didn't know anything about me. She said she didn't have a resume or my personal statement. She also informed me that there are about 500 or so of us who are being interviewed. I think for each phase, they have other people handling our application to be as unbiased as possible and then they compile all of the scores together. I would love to hear what everyone else thinks in regards to a possible ranking or scoring system.

On another note, my interviewer also said that it was nice to hear and interview someone who had some work experience because many applicants are in school and all of their stories relate to school only and don't involve interpersonal communication or conflict resolution. Honestly, I was worried that I have too much experience. Again, maybe that goes back to the scoring in the interview in that you have experience.

While everyone who has interviewed is waiting for decisions to roll out in mid June - August, has anybody been exploring other potential opportunities? I know I for one was accepted into the Teach For America program this year, so I have that other option. However, because I am combining my passion for education and public health, if I am offered both, I don't know which one I would choose. Anybody else experiencing similar struggles?

While everyone who has interviewed is waiting for decisions to roll out in mid June - August, has anybody been exploring other potential opportunities? I know I for one was accepted into the Teach For America program this year, so I have that other option. However, because I am combining my passion for education and public health, if I am offered both, I don't know which one I would choose. Anybody else experiencing similar struggles?

Hey ddbowens,

That does sound tough. I'm in a similar situation (sort of) where I'm taking a risk and juggling opportunities. I currently work full-time at a job that is not at all related to public health (or anything I'm interested in really...), but got an internship offer with my county's public health department. I could take the internship, but I'd have to quit my full-time job, so I would have a lot riding on the PHAP offer when the 3 month internship ends. Due to financial issues, in the event I don't hear from PHAP, I'd have a hard time being unemployed.

Best case scenario: I get PHAP and get to complete the internship too. Or I can reject the internship and just stay at my job, play it safe, and wait for PHAP decisions to come out through August. Not sure what to do and my situation is really testing my risk tolerance.

To offer my thoughts on your situation though, is there a restriction to when you can reapply to Teach for America? PHAP needs to be within 2 years of earning you degree I believe, so that may sway your decision towards PHAP. Of course, there are financial issues of relocating as well.. so much to think about!

Hey ddbowens,

That does sound tough. I'm in a similar situation (sort of) where I'm taking a risk and juggling opportunities. I currently work full-time at a job that is not at all related to public health (or anything I'm interested in really...), but got an internship offer with my county's public health department. I could take the internship, but I'd have to quit my full-time job, so I would have a lot riding on the PHAP offer when the 3 month internship ends. Due to financial issues, in the event I don't hear from PHAP, I'd have a hard time being unemployed.

Best case scenario: I get PHAP and get to complete the internship too. Or I can reject the internship and just stay at my job, play it safe, and wait for PHAP decisions to come out through August. Not sure what to do and my situation is really testing my risk tolerance.

To offer my thoughts on your situation though, is there a restriction to when you can reapply to Teach for America? PHAP needs to be within 2 years of earning you degree I believe, so that may sway your decision towards PHAP. Of course, there are financial issues of relocating as well.. so much to think about!

I understand and you can apply to Teach For America anytime, but also with the Trump Administration cutting AmeriCorps funding, who knows how long it will be around. I'm within my 2 years out of undergrad and I just finished my MPH (graduation is Saturday), so even though I start TFA training in June, hopefully that will give me enough time to make a decision if I'm granted admission into PHAP. I don't want to quit TFA and then not get selected into PHAP either.

I understand and you can apply to Teach For America anytime, but also with the Trump Administration cutting AmeriCorps funding, who knows how long it will be around. I'm within my 2 years out of undergrad and I just finished my MPH (graduation is Saturday), so even though I start TFA training in June, hopefully that will give me enough time to make a decision if I'm granted admission into PHAP. I don't want to quit TFA and then not get selected into PHAP either.

Congratulations on graduating! I definitely understand struggling between picking two career goals that overlap. Originally, I applied to the HRSA's Graduate Student Epidemiology Program, but the projects that I was interested in had to drop out due to either funding or not making the deadline in time. I'm hoping to take that as a sign, since that program would have been May to August and required me to relocate and then if accepted into PHAP, I'd have to turn right back around and relocate. That's a lot of money to dish out lol. I'm finishing up my contract with AmeriCorps at the end of May and I just finished my first year of grad school. I'll be taking summer classes just in case I do get accepted into PHAP, that way when I do go back to school, I won't have too many classes left. I'll also be working more to get extra money in the event that PHAP places me in a far location.

If PHAP doesn't happen, then I'll go back to my regular schedule lol. I'll finish up my MPH and I have some fellowships and graduate assistantships that I have been offered. I also planned for taking the exam to get my CHES in the fall.

Last edited:
Completed interview process, nerves weren't completely gone but I'm happy to have the opportunity and make it to this stage. Now the wait begins. I plan to spend this down time working to save up for relocation in the event I get it and I've already made arrangements to go back to school for MPH in case I don't. Best of luck to everyone!

Congratulations on graduating! I definitely understand struggling between picking two career goals that overlap. Originally, I applied to the HRSA's Graduate Student Epidemiology Program, but the projects that I was interested in had to drop out due to either funding or not making the deadline in time. I'm hoping to take that as a sign, since that program would have been May to August and required me to relocate and then if accepted into PHAP, I'd have to turn right back around and relocate. That's a lot of money to dish out lol. I'm finishing up my contract with AmeriCorps at the end of May and I just finished my first year of grad school. I'll be taking summer classes just in case I do get accepted into PHAP, that way when I do go back to school, I won't have too many classes left. I'll also be working more to get extra money in the event that PHAP places me in a far location.

If PHAP doesn't happen, then I'll go back to my regular schedule lol. I'll finish up my MPH and I have some fellowships and graduate assistantships that I have been offered. I also planned for taking the exam to get my CHES in the fall.
I completed AmeriCorps last Feb. Im sort in the same situation, I'm graduating tonight and I applied to some stuff and the start dates are close to the PHAP start date. I'm hoping that PHAP does choose me though. It's frustrating with the waiting game just in case another opportunity comes along

Where are you getting your MPH from? I went to the University of Alabama at Birmingham and got mine in Health Behavior. I know that the CDC has this program especially for teachers to work at bringing public health content to the classroom, which is something I was interested in because it merges the two. Both are great opportunities, so I'm just going to see how everything plays out.

Where are you getting your MPH from? I went to the University of Alabama at Birmingham and got mine in Health Behavior. I know that the CDC has this program especially for teachers to work at bringing public health content to the classroom, which is something I was interested in because it merges the two. Both are great opportunities, so I'm just going to see how everything plays out.
I'm at Georgia State University and I'm currently an epidemiology concentration. I was a health promotions and behavior concentration, but switched at the end of the fall semester. I really enjoyed and loved health promotions (I still do lol), but I feel that epi is much more marketable; however, I am really interested in social and behavioral epi and I'm hoping I can find someone in the Atlanta area to help me explore that whether it's at Emory, Morehouse, Spelman, or Clark Atlanta. That's really why I want my CHES to help fill the void for my passion in health behaviors.

I definitely understand where you're coming from as far as seeing how things play out. Usually, I know what I am doing and the goals and plans that I have in the future. It feels weird to be so uncertain. At the same time, I don't want to put my life on hold, just in case this doesn't happen.

I'm at Georgia State University and I'm currently an epidemiology concentration. I was a health promotions and behavior concentration, but switched at the end of the fall semester. I really enjoyed and loved health promotions (I still do lol), but I feel that epi is much more marketable; however, I am really interested in social and behavioral epi and I'm hoping I can find someone in the Atlanta area to help me explore that whether it's at Emory, Morehouse, Spelman, or Clark Atlanta. That's really why I want my CHES to help fill the void for my passion in health behaviors.

I definitely understand where you're coming from as far as seeing how things play out. Usually, I know what I am doing and the goals and plans that I have in the future. It feels weird to be so uncertain. At the same time, I don't want to put my life on hold, just in case this doesn't happen.

Yes, I was admitted to Georgia State as well. The faculty at Morehouse School of Medicine MPH may be able to help (admitted there as well) she nice most of the professors and staff either worked or have ties to the CDC. I do plan to take the CHES as well in October, but I'm probably going to reach out to my mentor at the CDC to see what he feels is the best option for my career.

Yes, I was admitted to Georgia State as well. The faculty at Morehouse School of Medicine MPH may be able to help (admitted there as well) she nice most of the professors and staff either worked or have ties to the CDC. I do plan to take the CHES as well in October, but I'm probably going to reach out to my mentor at the CDC to see what he feels is the best option for my career.
Awesome! I'll have to reach out to one of my mentors again. She helped me so much with the interview for PHAP and she's a beast! She's a few years older than me and has her PhD already and works at the CDC #lifegoals. GSU is great, but I do wish there were more people there with my career and research interests. That and it seems like no one really goes against the grain or tries to be innovative. Or maybe I'm just really ambitious lol. I realize my opinions don't align with others too often lol. My mentor was telling me about looking into the health communication specialist jobs at the CDC, so maybe you can look into that as well.

Happy CR being passed day! At least for another week! I was talking to my interviewer about how if the bill didn't pass and no resolution, then what would happen to this program/application process. Of course, now we wouldn't have to think about it for now.

Curious? Is anyone else here already Federal employee?

I believe all interviews are done. Congrats to all and may the matching be in our favor!

Last edited:
Happy CR being passed day! At least for another week! I was talking to my interviewer about how if the bill didn't pass and no resolution, then what would happen to this program/application process. Of course, now we wouldn't have to think about it for now.

Curious? Is anyone else here already Federal employee?

I believe all interviews are done. Congrats to all and may the matching be in our favor!
Did your interviewer provide any insight on the possible consequences?

We're nearly one month closer to hearing back! Hopefully, they're on or ahead of schedule.

Hi everyone! I have been following the feeds since last year and just wanted to wish everyone calm nerves and luck. You all seem to be great people and should be proud you made it this far. This was my second time applying so I'm elated.

I kind of have a unique route I'm taking. I plan on practicing as a public health physician focusing in children's/neonatal and women's/maternal health care. I graduated last year and have been working and finishing up my pre-med requirements (double major/minor didn't allow much time for lab work). The struggle is real trying to find something that aligns with my career path and full time school schedule. For those wondering about back up options, I'm just going straight back to school and would be applying for medical school next year. Anyone else planning on the clinical route as well?

Quick question to pose! Regarding relocating, how much is everyone saving up? I'm planning on having at minimum 7-8 thousand. However, I would be one to partially have to furnish an apartment.

Hi everyone! I have been following the feeds since last year and just wanted to wish everyone calm nerves and luck. You all seem to be great people and should be proud you made it this far. This was my second time applying so I'm elated.

I kind of have a unique route I'm taking. I plan on practicing as a public health physician focusing in children's/neonatal and women's/maternal health care. I graduated last year and have been working and finishing up my pre-med requirements (double major/minor didn't allow much time for lab work). The struggle is real trying to find something that aligns with my career path and full time school schedule. For those wondering about back up options, I'm just going straight back to school and would be applying for medical school next year. Anyone else planning on the clinical route as well?

Quick question to pose! Regarding relocating, how much is everyone saving up? I'm planning on having at minimum 7-8 thousand. However, I would be one to partially have to furnish an apartment.
Welcome to the waiting game!! My friend is in the same boat as you in regards to the getting enough hours and rotations, while working and attempting to study the GRE and MCAT; so, I can only imagine.

As far as relocating, I'm thinking about the same amount; possibly, more since the regions I chose range a great deal in terms of cost of living. I'm taking summer classes, so the refund I get for that will help a great deal as well as what I save up from working.

Did your interviewer provide any insight on the possible consequences?

We're nearly one month closer to hearing back! Hopefully, they're on or ahead of schedule.

She was just mentioning that any short delay shouldn't be that detrimental because they are now just doing match ups etc. Its not so close to OCT that it would affect the process. However, if something happens later, we would just be on stand by as other personnel cannot process our paperwork. She was mentioning that the budget cut placed on the 2017 round was one of the major set backs determining the lack of positions available.

Its only May 1st!!! Hopefully it doesnt take until July to hear back :)