2017 PHAP (Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
She was just mentioning that any short delay shouldn't be that detrimental because they are now just doing match ups etc. Its not so close to OCT that it would affect the process. However, if something happens later, we would just be on stand by as other personnel cannot process our paperwork. She was mentioning that the budget cut placed on the 2017 round was one of the major set backs determining the lack of positions available.

Its only May 1st!!! Hopefully it doesnt take until July to hear back :)
At least they're slightly ahead! They usually don't match until June, so that's a little bit of relief. Hopefully, they stay ahead in the process and there isn't another funding crisis or possibility of a government shutdown.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey unicornshadow888 - were you still able to be interviewed even though you didn't write back with your skype username the day before? I have an interview scheduled on Friday and I wrote them this morning to provide my username. They wrote back and said I would NOT be interviewed because I didn't provide my username by April 5th, even though that deadline is NOT conveyed in the email. I am soooooo upset.

I scheduled the interview via Doodle by the 4/5 deadline, but a deadline was NOT clear for providing the skype name. Does anybody have any suggestions for someone to contact? If this had been my mistake, i would of course accept this decision. But the deadline to provide the skype username was NOT provided in the email.

Any info anyone can give me would be appreciated. I'm absolutely positively heartbroken. :(
Yes, everything went fine. I'm sorry you had to go through that. My interview was on the first day, though, so it may have had to do with that. Plus, I was able to explain everything to them the day before (that Sunday) and they were able to get everything through.

Unfortunately I have had absolutely no lucky with this. I only received the email saying I would no longer allowed to be interviewed as of this morning. I had sent a letter to a man who contacted me AFTER the April 5 date stating there were issues with doodle and that he did not have my scheduled interview time or information.. I relayed the time and date I had chosen and he confirmed it. From there on I assumed they had all the information that had been lost in the process. My bad I guess.

However, if enough of us are having the same disqualification I think we have the power to band together and request an interview because we've made it this far and this seems like an utterly absurd disqualification... especially in my circumstance when my interview had been confirmed after the April 5 due date. There was an issue with my Doodle and because of that I am not allowed to interview?? I sent a letter to both the man I had spoken with after the due date as well as the PHAP email expressing my continual devotion to this 2017 program. I hope they respond with a second chance, even though I know this is the last week of interviews.

Does anyone on here have any further suggestions for something I should do? Its just so hard for me to let go when I was arranged a time and date. Thanks.
I was able to successfully interview despite this problem (I had my interview on the first day), but I agree with your strategy to gather enough people who had this problem. The email was poorly worded. I had a PHAP associate from last year email me a screenshot of the instructions from last year and the deadlines were significantly more clear.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we can change our region preferences? I'm starting to rethink my first choice lol

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if we can change our region preferences? I'm starting to rethink my first choice lol
I asked during my interview and was told no..I started to rethink my choices after thinking about the cost of living in some of the states in certain regions. The only advice my interviewer gave was that if offered a position that you could decline and be put on the waitlist for the state/site you are more interested in but its not promised your will still be offered a position later on. Which def sucks!

Reactions: 1 users
I asked during my interview and was told no..I started to rethink my choices after thinking about the cost of living in some of the states in certain regions. The only advice my interviewer gave was that if offered a position that you could decline and be put on the waitlist for the state/site you are more interested in but its not promised your will still be offered a position later on. Which def sucks!

Oh ok, dang...well whatever is meant to be will be. I strongly believe everything in this life happens for a reason so wherever we are placed, if we are chosen, will be where we are supposed to be. We should rest assured in that!

Oh ok, dang...well whatever is meant to be will be. I strongly believe everything in this life happens for a reason so wherever we are placed, if we are chosen, will be where we are supposed to be. We should rest assured in that!
Thats how I'm thinking! Im lucky enough to even make it to the interview round and would be even more lucky to get chosen. I'll just try to make it work whether they put it unless it's like Guam or Alaska lol

Reactions: 2 users
Agreed! I put New York, New Jersey. Puerto Rico, as a choice, but I didn't think about the cost of living lol.

Agreed! I put New York, New Jersey. Puerto Rico, as a choice, but I didn't think about the cost of living lol.

Hopefully they do what they do for normal employees. Everyone gets a base rate, but depending on where you live there is an adjusted cost of living added for places that have a higher COL. I've seen it for most of my Leave and Earnings Statement (LES). I am currently a GS-5, which this program starts with. Without promotion and just adjusted COL, it is higher than the lower range listed on typical GS-5 salaries.

Hopefully they do what they do for normal employees. Everyone gets a base rate, but depending on where you live there is an adjusted cost of living added for places that have a higher COL. I've seen it for most of my Leave and Earnings Statement (LES). I am currently a GS-5, which this program starts with. Without promotion and just adjusted COL, it is higher than the lower range listed on typical GS-5 salaries.
I looked at that as well and played with the adjustments for different counties and cities.

I can imagine that is the case! Anyways, I've been saving up for the initial costs of relocating (hopefully): flight, shipping, etc. and hope the adjusted pay is in-line with the higher COL in some areas. Only makes sense!

I can imagine that is the case! Anyways, I've been saving up for the initial costs of relocating (hopefully): flight, shipping, etc. and hope the adjusted pay is in-line with the higher COL in some areas. Only makes sense!
Yes that is right. When we got the initial personal statement email, there was a section that explained out pay. It stated that depending on location the pay would vary. Also, it read as if second years could possibly receive a raise.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! Just am able to jump in on this now! I had my interview last Friday and am positive I was most likely one of the last ones. I was told that we would hear back around July as well but I am hoping it will be sooner. Have you heard from anyone that this opportunity could help a lot with getting into a PH grad school/doctorate program?

Anyone else been having dreams about getting that call from PHAP? Lol.

Lol! Im not getting nervous about getting a call per se... but more getting placed in Guam.

Thank goodness for finals and graduation keeping my mind busy... but what would I distract myself with after May 15th?

So, does anyone know the worst that could happen if I receive placement but I just found out that I'm pregnant?

So, does anyone know the worst that could happen if I receive placement but I just found out that I'm pregnant?
First of all.... CONGRATS! Hope all your plans are in line and you can figure out this PHAP thing with your new life changes!!

I dont think they can discriminate against pregnancy, but I would check to see how it affects your 2 year term. Im sorry I dont have any information. I was just excited.

Thank you! I'm super excited but scared at the same time. We will see how it plays out. I know that there is a probationary period, and given the length of the process it's important for them to understand that things happen.

On another note, the 2016 PHAP fellows are in ATL this week!

First of all.... CONGRATS! Hope all your plans are in line and you can figure out this PHAP thing with your new life changes!!

I dont think they can discriminate against pregnancy, but I would check to see how it affects your 2 year term. Im sorry I dont have any information. I was just excited.
I'm

Anyone else been having dreams about getting that call from PHAP? Lol.
Happened more than once to me. I wake up smiling before I realize it was all a dream. The suspense is killer, and I can't believe we have to wait until July !

I haven't thought too much about PHAP since the interview. I've been distracting myself with work and vacations. If I do get selected and get chose for Guam or Alaska, I would actually be kind of exciting to go live in either place for two years. Makes for awesome memories!

I haven't thought too much about PHAP since the interview. I've been distracting myself with work and vacations. If I do get selected and get chose for Guam or Alaska, I would actually be kind of exciting to go live in either place for two years. Makes for awesome memories!

I'm glad to hear that! (I really should focus on the present tbh). I'm originally from the Marianas so Guam so relocating (basically going back home) wouldn't be too exciting for me, but I feel the same way about going to more remote locations (Alaska, Puerto Rico). Would love the experience.

Hey everyone! I noticed that all the past few years got their calls around June 8-10, do you think this year they are just delayed until July or we may hear from them before then? July is a long time to wait out on other job offers or school acceptance letters. I know me personally I have to decide whether I will enter a PhD program or defer my admission. How are you guys weighing your options?

Hey everyone! I noticed that all the past few years got their calls around June 8-10, do you think this year they are just delayed until July or we may hear from them before then? July is a long time to wait out on other job offers or school acceptance letters. I know me personally I have to decide whether I will enter a PhD program or defer my admission. How are you guys weighing your options?

I think it's protocol for them to say July just in case anything should happen and the process is delayed. In the past forums, I think they were told Jul as well but found out much earlier. I am hoping that's the case this year. I've been weighing my options and and moving forward as if I never even applied for PHAP. There's definitely other opportunities that I'm trying to keep open. I definitely believe in putting positive vibes and energy into the air, so I'm putting my belief and faith that we have already been matched and we will be getting that call very soon!

Hello all,

First time poster playing the waiting game like most of you at this point. I was wondering if anyone knew how many people interviewed for these 180 spots opening. I need to figure out my chances because I'm losing my mind lol.

Hello all,

First time poster playing the waiting game like most of you at this point. I was wondering if anyone knew how many people interviewed for these 180 spots opening. I need to figure out my chances because I'm losing my mind lol.
PHAP usually interviews around 2.5-3 times the number of spots. My interviewer said that there were about 500 of us being interviewed.

Is anyone else REALLY nervous about receiving a call?
I don't think I'll be nervous, but I'm pretty sure if I see an unfamiliar number call me sometime during the middle of June, I will be ecstatic/nervous/excited/all of the above lol.

Lol! Im not getting nervous about getting a call per se... but more getting placed in Guam.

Thank goodness for finals and graduation keeping my mind busy... but what would I distract myself with after May 15th?

I feel like that's the only reason I'm glad I talked myself into taking a Maymester and summer classes. I've also thought about taking up another hobby or something to keep me busy lol. Luckily, a group of my friends planned a trip for the first week of June.

I am out of the country until June 19. Anyone know the procedure for getting the calls? Is there an email response or do I just need to make sure call come through my American phone abroad?
I think it's protocol for them to say July just in case anything should happen and the process is delayed. In the past forums, I think they were told Jul as well but found out much earlier. I am hoping that's the case this year. I've been weighing my options and and moving forward as if I never even applied for PHAP. There's definitely other opportunities that I'm trying to keep open. I definitely believe in putting positive vibes and energy into the air, so I'm putting my belief and faith that we have already been matched and we will be getting that call very soon!

I am out of the country until June 19. Anyone know the procedure for getting the calls? Is there an email response or do I just need to make sure call come through my American phone abroad?
They call and email you as well. I think after your offer you have a certain time period to accept/decline or they will move to the next person.

Quick question: Has the timeline page on the CDC's website (CDC - Application Process - Become an Associate - PHAP) always said that offers would be extended in mid-June?

I feel like I'm reading between the lines way too much lol. I emailed PHAP yesterday just to see if they were in fact ahead of schedule and they provided the above link.
it use to say mid-july...im hoping that we hear from them the first week in June though

it use to say mid-july...im hoping that we hear from them the first week in June though
Thank you! I had to double check to make sure I wasn't going crazy lol. I'm hoping we hear back the first week too! It's slowly but surely getting closer.

LOL I actually thought it always said mid-June. I think so, because I posted earlier on this forum asking about the discrepancy between what my interviewer told me (offers to be extended mid-July) and what the website timeline said (mid-June). Either way, this is good news and I hope we hear back even sooner!

(edit: also the site was last updated Jan 3rd 2017 according to the bottom of the webpage.)

Hang in there my fellow public health warriors!

How did everyone feel about the interview? The more I dwell on it, the more I feel like I didn't do well... I was def more confident a month ago, but this waiting game is making me paranoid!

@apigigi I also noticed that the website was last updated January 3. Who knows? Lol. I think I'm just wanting June to get here already lol. As far as the interview, I feel the same way! I think all of this time in between is definitely testing our patience and confidence lol. I feel more worried about my background experience compared to other applicants and whether I came off too prepared and qualified.

Quick question: Has the timeline page on the CDC's website (CDC - Application Process - Become an Associate - PHAP) always said that offers would be extended in mid-June?

I feel like I'm reading between the lines way too much lol. I emailed PHAP yesterday just to see if they were in fact ahead of schedule and they provided the above link.

I know it says it was last updated in January, but I am 100% sure that it used to say mid July. I took a screen shot of it a while back.

I know it says it was last updated in January, but I am 100% sure that it used to say mid July. I took a screen shot of it a while back.

It did say July, but they changed it to mid-June. They may have realized they were able to start matching in June for the past years, and possibly they are on that track now. They are updating as they go.

It did say July, but they changed it to mid-June. They may have realized they were able to start matching in June for the past years, and possibly they are on that track now. They are updating as they go.
Makes sense, they must have updated since the interviews were completed! Great!

It's almost June! GOOD LUCK TO ALL! May we start getting calls SOON

It's finally June!!!!!!! AHHHHH!! Lol. That would be amazing if we started getting calls tomorrow lol. Luckily the day they usually call is next week. :banana::claps:

Sidenote: When you live in the Atlanta area, so you answer and get nervous/excited everytime an unknown 770/678/404/470 number pops up lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
It's finally June!!!!!!! AHHHHH!! Lol. That would be amazing if we started getting calls tomorrow lol. Luckily the day they usually call is next week. :banana::claps:

Sidenote: When you live in the Atlanta area, so you answer and get nervous/excited everytime an unknown 770/678/404/470 number pops up lol.
Ahhhhhhh I would be getting excited too lol the usual trend is next week so fingers crossed!

AHHHHH..... SO MUCH EXCITEMENT! Thank you for the heads up about area codes :)

You're welcome! I need something to preoccupy my time so this next week/week and a half can fly by. May was bearable because I had a Maymester and lots of graduations to attend lol.

We're at the finish line, y'all! We've got this!!!

Im so nervous though! Ive been keeping myself busy trying to get ready to move for my internship starting next week. I hope it keeps me super busy since it'll be my first week there. Any preferences of where you'll like to be placed? I would love to stay in MS to save on money since they have a site in my hometown but open to stay 6 hours or less from home.

Im so nervous though! Ive been keeping myself busy trying to get ready to move for my internship starting next week. I hope it keeps me super busy since it'll be my first week there. Any preferences of where you'll like to be placed? I would love to stay in MS to save on money since they have a site in my hometown but open to stay 6 hours or less from home.
Congratulations!!! That sounds exciting!! I would love to stay here in the Atlanta area so I can finish my last year of grad school, but Tennessee and Florida are my top picks *fingers-crossed* Like you @alh601, I would prefer be close to home, but I'd be grateful for anything lol.

You're welcome! I need something to preoccupy my time so this next week/week and a half can fly by. May was bearable because I had a Maymester and lots of graduations to attend lol.

We're at the finish line, y'all! We've got this!!!
Lol I can practically feel myself email watching to see if they've sent anything! These next few weeks are gonna be stressful but also exciting

Reactions: 5 users
Hello all, I'm a lurker here and did not actually apply for this year's PHAP as I haven't finished my undergrad degree yet (will be a senior this fall). However, I am considering applying to PHAP for the 2018 cycle and I am watching this thread to try and get some tips! I'm still not sure if it's better to get an MPH before applying to this program or to apply without one? (If this is the wrong place to ask this, would someone mind directing me where to go? I am a newbie to this forum.)

I hope you all wind up at the placements you want! I am crossing my fingers for you :)