2021 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got my match in Salt Lake City, UT!!! If you are from Salt Lake or have been positioned there please feel free to contact me!

In other news...

I also need a little advice (from former PHAPers) about the next steps because I would like to take a 21-27 day backpacking trip this summer sometime between July-Sept (the Long Trail); however I'm not sure if that will align well with the background check process because I would essentially have no/ unreliable internet and cell service for the better part of a month.

So my questions for current/ former PHAPers out there are:

1.) Is it crazy to think I could both undergo the background check process and complete the LT this summer?
2.) When does the bulk of the background check/ fingerprinting stuff happen? Is it a rolling process, or will everyone start at the same time regardless of when they were matched? (For context, I think my ideal hiking month would be Sept because it won't be as hot/ buggy, but I am totally open to other months if they are more logistically feasible for PHAP).
3.) For anyone who has done the LT/ any backpacking trip 14+ days where they needed to be able to check email regularly, is there any way to get around this issue? I am willing to spend some money ($100-200) on tech if that's what's needed to make this plan a reality. (Plus I already have a portable phone charger, which I would intend to bring along with my cell)

TL;DR
I got my match, but I would also like to go on backpacking trip this summer (~1 month). Can I undergo the background check and pull off this hike?

P.S.
For those who haven't heard back yet, don't worry!!! From what I've heard, each year is always matched in several rounds with unique snags along the way. Different people will tell you different information about the "when" of things, but at the end of the day everyone agrees that this process is a bit unpredictable.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I was thinking the same since I didn't see anyone say they were matched with states up north. But who knows at this point lol.
i’ve been matched with New Jerset and i know someone else who was matched in Illinois but other than that i haven’t seen anyone else matched up north

I feel like they should just tell you if you get in the program or not and use the rest of May - July to match you. Instead of waiting the whole summer to see if you get in or not. Then as spots open can fill them in.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi anyone get matched in NYC? I'd love to connect. Here is my Instagram @10000rah.

I feel like they should just tell you if you get in the program or not and use the rest of May - July to match you. Instead of waiting the whole summer to see if you get in or not. Then as spots open can fill them in.
I agree this process is painstaking! :/ Especially due to the fact they do not send out rejections.
The way I see it, I will give myself the next week or so to continually check the forum and my portal as I have been.
After that, I need to at least move on in continuing to prepare for my Fall MPH and research fellowship. Both are so exciting to me! I would hate for my obsession with the possibility of PHAP ruin that for me as well.
I don't think it's fair for any of us to put everything else on hold just for the slight possibility that we are given a matched placement. With ~400 interviewed and only like ~125 matched, realistically I need to remember that this program is competitive and we all have a lot to offer anywhere that we end up, PHAP or not.
Good luck to everyone not yet matched!! We all worked hard to get here! And congrats to those that have already gotten placed!! Such an exciting time for public health! :)

Reactions: 3 users
I just spoke with a woman at the PHAP office. All the offers were sent out already. She said everyone who didn’t get an email should be contacted by HR within the next few days. This is so heartbreaking, I can’t even put it into words.

Reactions: 1 user
I just spoke with a woman at the PHAP office. All the offers were sent out already. She said everyone who didn’t get an email should be contacted by HR within the next few days. This is so heartbreaking, I can’t even put it into words.
So why would the HR contact someone who didn't get an offer? They don't send rejection letters....

I called today and they told me that the offers would be finalized around June.

Reactions: 1 users
So why would the HR contact someone who didn't get an offer? They don't send rejection letters....

This is literally so overly confusing. I don't understand why everyone at their offices are giving different answers :')

I’ve been ugly crying for like 30 minutes. I’m so confused...

I’ve been ugly crying for like 30 minutes. I’m so confused...
I wouldn't give up hope yet! It seems like the people answering calls have conflicting information so I would take what they say with a grain of salt. Plus the match acceptance deadline for this first wave was due earlier today so they could send out more matches if people declined.

I'm surprised because literally no one posted about anything with the northern states! There was a huge influx of posts on Friday, and then nothing happened? However, I hate that there is so much conflicting information! What is going on this year? I mean, I guess I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up but the fact that all this information was sent out in just two days and so much earlier when it used to get sent out over the course of a month is really strange. I'm confused and wonder if they just decided to change the entire format this year? Why did our interviewers tell us to wait until June or July if they were just going to send everything out in two days? So strange and confusing lol.

Has anyone been matched in Washington state? That was my first choice given personal circumstances, but I was matched in Carson City, Nevada and I'm wondering about potential for a new match. I saw on the portal that if you clicked "No" under "Would you accept this assignment if offered?" it showed a secondary question that asked if you would like to be considered for an alternative match (if available)...

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone! I interviewed April 30th and was matched Friday May 21st to Salt Lake City, Utah working on Chronic Disease: older adult health and healthy aging. If anyone is from there or was also matched in SLC please feel free to message me, I would love to connect! :D Best of luck to those who are still waiting- hang in there!

EVERY offer was sent on Friday. Just called.

Still seems like the people at their offices have conflicting info and I know once people began declining they would send out offers to those next in line. Here’s to hoping there’s a chance of being an alternate at least!

Has anyone been matched in Washington state? That was my first choice given personal circumstances, but I was matched in Carson City, Nevada and I'm wondering about potential for a new match. I saw on the portal that if you clicked "No" under "Would you accept this assignment if offered?" it showed a secondary question that asked if you would like to be considered for an alternative match (if available)...
Hmmm this is interesting, I thought the location/subject was non-negotiable because if I could switch I would definitely be interested in doing so... things are for sure weird this year compared to the 2020 thread :thinking:

Hmmm this is interesting, I thought the location/subject was non-negotiable because if I could switch I would definitely be interested in doing so... things are for sure weird this year compared to the 2020 thread :thinking:
Funny enough I was stalking the 2020 thread today and I saw multiple occurrences of a SECOND offer for people due to location not working-- check out page 6 of the 2020 thread. It could definitely still be an option for y'all to get another match, not sure how they are doing it this year though.

Funny enough I was stalking the 2020 thread today and I saw multiple occurrences of a SECOND offer for people due to location not working-- check out page 6 of the 2020 thread. It could definitely still be an option for y'all to get another match, not sure how they are doing it this year though.
That's exactly what I was looking at today, too! I think I might reach out to them about the possibility and see what they say. Never hurts to ask I suppose. For anyone curious - I'll update with any info I get!

Is anyone planning on starting a Facebook group like last years cohort? I’d love to connect!

Reactions: 4 users
That's exactly what I was looking at today, too! I think I might reach out to them about the possibility and see what they say. Never hurts to ask I suppose. For anyone curious - I'll update with any info I get!
I have been wondering this as well. While I will accept whatever they assign me, I would prefer something else lol

I called the office this morning and Yes it’s true all offers were sent on Friday. Any other offers given will be from those who decline. Congrats to everyone who got in!! Best of luck to everyone in your public health journey!

I am wondering when alternates will be notified. But congrats to those who received offers and best of luck to those who did not. It's still an accomplishment to have gotten far enough for an interview!

Okay, i just called the PHAP Help Desk to ask if all offers were sent already and the representative said they're still going through the process? They know we're talking to one another and said to contact them about questions, so still very confusing since people have gotten different info from different representatives 😭

Okay, i just called the PHAP Help Desk to ask if all offers were sent already and the representative said they're still going through the process? They know we're talking to one another and said to contact them about questions, so still very confusing since people have gotten different info from different representatives 😭
I wish they would send like a statement out or something oh my god - like an email or message about what point in the process they’re in

They were all sent on friday. 2 people already told me the same thing. If there is a chance of something, it is because someone declined

They were all sent on friday. 2 people already told me the same thing. If there is a chance of something, it is because someone declined
I think there's a lot of conflicting info from the CDC though

Very Interesting, I called this number (404) 498-0030 at 10:15am and she said they were all sent on Friday and any other offers sent will be due to someone declining their offer.

It’s like they keep giving a bit of hope and then breaking it lol

• Sad
Very Interesting, I called this number (404) 498-0030 at 10:15am and she said they were all sent on Friday and any other offers sent will be due to someone declining their offer.
Yup, that's the same number I called lol

Yup, that's the same number I called lol
At this point anyone who has not received an offer I wouldn’t bank on this. Still apply to other positions and if they happen to reach out at any point make the decision from there.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to those who were placed!! And to my fellow rejectees... at least we got this far right? We should be proud of ourselves, even if this isn’t the outcome we had hoped for.
Does anyone have any advice for other ways to break into the field? My college didn’t offer public health so I just have a political science degree and an interest in public health? Any advice or resources?

y’all don’t fret they always have a backs up list of candidates ready in case their first choices say no!!!

i actually declined my offer (pros for grad school were just too good) so someone here will be getting my spot!!

Congrats to those who were placed!! And to my fellow rejectees... at least we got this far right? We should be proud of ourselves, even if this isn’t the outcome we had hoped for.
Does anyone have any advice for other ways to break into the field? My college didn’t offer public health so I just have a political science degree and an interest in public health? Any advice or resources?
You are absolutely right, something like ~4,000 people applied and like ~475 got interviews. Anyone who got that far should feel proud.

There are plenty of other public health opportunities to apply to, although getting an MPH is the most obvious way to help get your foot in the door, there are ALWAYS other options. In addition to reapplying to PHAP next year, you could also apply to some of the ORISE programs (although most are targeted at people with advanced degrees, there are definitely people who get in with bachelors).

In the meantime, while you are applying to other jobs, try to schedule as many informational interviews as possible. Find out if anyone in your extended family or friends have a career related to public health. Find people on LinkedIn who have a job descriptions that you think are interesting, and don't be afraid to ask them about their work (the worst thing they can say is no). I know the pandemic means that there are fewer in-person networking events, but don't be afraid to use the online ones. Most colleges tend to have online networks of alumni to help your post-grad job search process; some even offer mentoring from alumni in your field of interest. I can't remember the exact number, but its something like 60-80% of jobs are filled without being publicly posted; this speaks to the power of networking.

Finally let's not forget that tons of people go into this process saying, "yeah, I'd be fine anywhere," but as soon as they get their assignment, they realize they aren't as open to "anywhere" as they thought. This means that the process will naturally occur in waves. Either way the fact that you got this far means that other employers are gonna want you.

How many of the people that were accepted have public health degrees or experience? Just curious if they accepted people that did not.

I have a Biochem B.S. and no public health experience outside of a few classes I took.

Those of you who have to relocate, when are you going to start looking? I only know my city and it’s not very big so I could probably start now. I just wonder if I should wait until I get the official offer with details (what org I am actually going to work with) before I do. I did do a quick search just to get price ranges and found a couple of places that would work but it’s too far out to get anything for October.

Did anyone else get St Paul, MN? My IG is @kennedyer —reach out to me if so! I also just requested to join the FB group😊

Those of you who have to relocate, when are you going to start looking? I only know my city and it’s not very big so I could probably start now. I just wonder if I should wait until I get the official offer with details (what org I am actually going to work with) before I do. I did do a quick search just to get price ranges and found a couple of places that would work but it’s too far out to get anything for October.

I wouldn’t start having concrete plans until you sign contract with HR. Sure, go ahead and look but places can change.

Hey guys! I talked to two people with the program yesterday and they said they’re still sending out offers until late June. Either way, I declined my assignment in San Antonio in order to be reconsidered for Los Angeles. I have a husband who ho has a federal career here and it wouldn’t make sense to move him and my kids to another state to just have to move back two years later. Especially since us being military, my daughter hasn’t had a stable home and we want to provide that for her. Best of luck to whoever secures San Antonio!

Hey guys! I talked to two people with the program yesterday and they said they’re still sending out offers until late June. Either way, I declined my assignment in San Antonio in order to be reconsidered for Los Angeles. I have a husband who ho has a federal career here and it wouldn’t make sense to move him and my kids to another state to just have to move back two years later. Especially since us being military, my daughter hasn’t had a stable home and we want to provide that for her. Best of luck to whoever secures San Antonio!
Good luck!

I wouldn’t start having concrete plans until you sign contract with HR. Sure, go ahead and look but places can change.
Do you mean “places can change” as in the city itself? I don’t know the exact placement, but my guess that it’s the county. I don’t plan on looking until August but was wondering if that’s the typical time frame. The last few times I’ve moved to a new state were last minute and I just took what I could find for apartments. With a less flexible budget this time around I wonder if it would be harder to find something.

Do you mean “places can change” as in the city itself? I don’t know the exact placement, but my guess that it’s the county. I don’t plan on looking until August but was wondering if that’s the typical time frame. The last few times I’ve moved to a new state were last minute and I just took what I could find for apartments. With a less flexible budget this time around I wonder if it would be harder to find something.
It doesn’t hurt to look but don’t sign any leases. You have to complete a federal background check with equip and they dig very deep into your background. As long as you’re good on that, you should be good.

It doesn’t hurt to look but don’t sign any leases. You have to complete a federal background check with equip and they dig very deep into your background. As long as you’re good on that, you should be good.
I’ve had a federal security clearance in the past so I know I’m good.

Hi! I am a 2019 PHAP out of Baltimore, Maryland working in violence and injury prevention - specifically sexual and intimate partner violence at the state health department. I am originally from Omaha, NE! I know the matching process is a lot, even once you've matched there is a lot of uncertainty, but I am happy to connect or answer any questions/help how I can!