2017 PHAP (Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello all, I'm a lurker here and did not actually apply for this year's PHAP as I haven't finished my undergrad degree yet (will be a senior this fall). However, I am considering applying to PHAP for the 2018 cycle and I am watching this thread to try and get some tips! I'm still not sure if it's better to get an MPH before applying to this program or to apply without one? (If this is the wrong place to ask this, would someone mind directing me where to go? I am a newbie to this forum.)

I hope you all wind up at the placements you want! I am crossing my fingers for you :)

I hear a lot that you don't even need to be in the field, as they are not training experts, but more with the passion and adaptability to do the work. Of course knowledge in the field is helpful (to the applicant when starting), but they want the education foundation to support the applicant's intelligence capacity.

There was even a past associate in the field of anthropology.

Now, it wouldn't hurt to have MPH, but apply even without it. I got this far without it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I hear a lot that you don't even need to be in the field, as they are not training experts, but more with the passion and adaptability to do the work. Of course knowledge in the field is helpful (to the applicant when starting), but they want the education foundation to support the applicant's intelligence capacity.

There was even a past associate in the field of anthropology.

Now, it wouldn't hurt to have MPH, but apply even without it. I got this far without it.

Thank you, I'll take this into consideration!

Hello all, I'm a lurker here and did not actually apply for this year's PHAP as I haven't finished my undergrad degree yet (will be a senior this fall). However, I am considering applying to PHAP for the 2018 cycle and I am watching this thread to try and get some tips! I'm still not sure if it's better to get an MPH before applying to this program or to apply without one? (If this is the wrong place to ask this, would someone mind directing me where to go? I am a newbie to this forum.)

I hope you all wind up at the placements you want! I am crossing my fingers for you :)

I would definitely apply and see what happens. They are looking for a set of characteristics called the "BEST FIT", and don't need a public health degree or a masters to be qualified. You can find information about BEST FIT on the PHAP website. To get a really good job in public health you'll want both experience and the education. I got my MPH first but was lacking the field experience to apply and grow my skills which is what brought me to the PHAP application. I think whatever order you want to do them in is fine. Only you know the right path for yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Personally I already have my MPH but some people are finishing up their undergraduate degrees so I think it is fine either way!

Hello all! I am a bit late to find this... probably because I am/was considered a nontraditional student due to my age and I forget that you can basically find all information from the internet! I'll introduce my background because it may differ from a "normal" (what is normal, really?) pathway, or be similar to someone that might feel like they may not be what the program is looking for.

I am originally from Michigan, but married my husband (who is serving in the Army) and decided to move with him after my first semester in college... that was over 11 years ago! We started off in Louisiana (pretty much a shock for a 19 year old who has only ever lived in an area that experiences all 4 seasons). We have also lived in Kentucky/Tennessee, Florida, and Kansas. After moving to Kansas, I was able to finish my Bachelor's degree in Microbiology at Kansas State University. During my time at Kstate, I was involved in undergraduate research in a virology lab working with Aedes aegypti mosquitoes (I also rear them in the insectary) and the Sindbis virus to further understand viral replication within that important vector. I have taken courses in pathogenic micro, virology, human parasitology (by far the best course I have taken in my undergraduate studies), and immunology, but have not been able to take any in "Public Health". I am very interested vector-borne diseases as well as being out in the field (so it's not a surprise that I am leaning towards earning my Master's degree in Epidemiology). I have done 2 semesters of student teaching in the general microbiology lab and am also a CNA. In my personal life, I have 2 children and a dog who thinks he's much smaller and should always sit in your lap. I have also had to keep it together during my husband's 4 overseas deployments during his career that is coming to an end this summer. I do not have any real/formal public health experience, but I am assuming if they send me an offer, it'll be due to a background that can be brought to/compliment the public health setting.

In January I stumbled upon the application for the PHAP while browsing the USAJobs website and immediately felt like that is what I am supposed to do... so here I am now, with most of you, waiting very anxiously near the phone and computer! Good luck to all!

Reactions: 6 users
I need to stop checking my email lol I'm dying over here!

Reactions: 5 users
You're not the only one lol AND I've been refreshing this forum like crazy lol.

Refreshing this forum, emails, looking at my phone constantly... Im waiting to get correspondence from 4 different things in the month of June. My heart rate is definitely constantly over my normal. 4 more days til the end of the weeeeeeek!

Reactions: 3 users
Fighting the urge to call the CDC and ask WHATS UP?! I feel like I have so many things on hold for this one job I MIGHT get. Its driving me nuts lol

It's government, I doubt we'd get any weekend calls
I know in past forums some people did receive calls because they had HR working overtime. Part of me hopes that's the case, while the other part feels slightly bad for having others working OT for me.

And you're not the only one fighting the urge lol.

Then again in past years the 8th through the 10th has been in the work week. Hopefully, they have a heart this year and decide to notify us the 7th through the 9th

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Then again in past years the 8th through the 10th has been in the work week. Hopefully, they have a heart this year and decide to notify us the 7th through the 9th
Wow they had some OT/Weekend calls? That is amazing! But yeah, government and the weekend... I dont think it will happen, but we can hope. :)

7-9th would be great, but they are also working on end of the pay period stuff this week. :)

I follow the 2016 group on Facebook and someone said she heard around the 20th they'd start calling! But another girl said who knows when they'll call because the freeze is still affecting this job?! I'm like WHAT IS GOING ON! Lol

Guys I have a weird situation also--my husband might have a job opportunity in a different state also but he hasn't made any moves or signed the contract because of this job because who wants to move twice OR us end up separated because of two different jobs in two different states--is that reason enough for me to call and get any sort of advice or information?

Guys I have a weird situation also--my husband might have a job opportunity in a different state also but he hasn't made any moves or signed the contract because of this job because who wants to move twice OR us end up separated because of two different jobs in two different states--is that reason enough for me to call and get any sort of advice or information?
I called--told them my Dustin and she was incredibly kind but said she couldn't give me any advice or tell me when they're going to start calling or anything...so. We wait. Still

I follow the 2016 group on Facebook and someone said she heard around the 20th they'd start calling! But another girl said who knows when they'll call because the freeze is still affecting this job?! I'm like WHAT IS GOING ON! Lol

I can see that there could be a slight delay from the freeze. Although the larger Gov freeze ended in March, the department Im currently working for had its own internal freeze that just lifted end of May. Cross our fingers that PHAP is just rolling along on schedule.

I called--told them my Dustin and she was incredibly kind but said she couldn't give me any advice or tell me when they're going to start calling or anything...so. We wait. Still

Hm... tough situation for you. Hopefully you get all the answers soon. Im sure PHAP cant give any info out until it starts. If something leaks in error, that would be most stressful to applicants and program.

Gosh, fingers crossed that we hear something ASAP - especially, for you @williamsae1022! Hopefully, your husband's prospective job doesn't require anything until after the 20th or mid-June or whenever the magic date of being notified appears lol.

I didn't even take into account the lingering impact of the hiring freeze. Definitely hoping that PHAP and the sites are moving along as well!

I have an update from my friend who is currently doing PHAP, directly from her PHAP Director in Chicago:

"Hey, heads up! PHAP director said that theyve already chosen the 2017 class but need approval since HHS is still on a hiring freeze. so once thats lifted/approval is obtained theyre gonna start the calls"

I hope this helps ease everyone's mind for the time being.

Reactions: 5 users
I have an update from my friend who is currently doing PHAP, directly from her PHAP Director in Chicago:

"Hey, heads up! PHAP director said that theyve already chosen the 2017 class but need approval since HHS is still on a hiring freeze. so once thats lifted/approval is obtained theyre gonna start the calls"

Booooooo. But yeah it helps calm the nerves a bit. Will be here twiddling my thumbs waiting. :) Good luck guys!!!

Ah! Thank you for the update! Who knows how long this freeze will last booooo lol

It does help a little. Gotta love politics lol. Boooo to the freeze.

Last edited:
Sooooooo....no phone calls yet?
Not yet. One of the PHAP's that @williamsae1022 mentioned earlier said that there's a possibility of calls beginning on the 20th. However, other current PHAPs are saying they don't know when calls begin.

Mid-June is next week though (according to PHAP website) and June 20th is the week after. Try to hang in there girl lol. I'm with you!

Not yet. One of the PHAP's that @williamsae1022 mentioned earlier said that there's a possibility of calls beginning on the 20th. However, other current PHAPs are saying they don't know when calls begin.

Mid-June is next week though (according to PHAP website) and June 20th is the week after. Try to hang in there girl lol. I'm with you!

Oh gosh let's hope the HHS hiring freeze ends soon, and the calls start rolling in! Extremely nerve-racking process. wishing ya'll the best!

Does anyone know which PHAP cycle encountered a hiring freeze before?

I know last year's cycle had budgeting issues and I was rereading that forum.

Does anyone know which PHAP cycle encountered a hiring freeze before?

I know last year's cycle had budgeting issues and I was rereading that forum.

I was told in my interview that our cycle was also facing budgeting issues...

I was told in my interview that our cycle was also facing budgeting issues...
I was just rereading what you posted earlier too about your interview lol. I was trying to compare what you said to what was mentioned before in the 2015 and 2016 cycles.

Hi all -- former PHAP here (2015 class, left early for permanent employment). When my class came on board there was fear of a strike due to congress' inability to agree on the budget. Although the freeze does not effect public health, note that PHAP salaries are paid with free/leftover funds from various CIOs or centers at CDC. You are then placed in a program area related to the CIO that provided your funding. Idk how or where else the current WhiteHouse admin plans to make cuts, but I expect there to be a smaller PHAP class this year as CIOs may have to use funds for other essentials. Also, Dr. Frieden is gone and unfortunately many of his personal projects (chronic disease related) are being axed. I hope this helps, feel free to PM me with any questions, thoughts on the program/the field etc. Good luck on your PHAP journey!
Again, as everyone has been saying, hopefully we hear some type of news soon. Even if it's something from the White House.

I understand why they won't tell us who they have selected, but I still would love to know. Or the amount to see if they had to cut back the number of PHAPs for this year.

Again, as everyone has been saying, hopefully we hear some type of news soon. Even if it's something from the White House.

I understand why they won't tell us who they have selected, but I still would love to know. Or the amount to see if they had to cut back the number of PHAPs for this year.
Yikes... my passion is Chronic Disease. Crossing my fingers.

There are a few other HHS positions I am waiting to hear back from this month. Hoping to transfer between agencies so I don't have to get a break in service. Hopefully we all hear back soon. It's kind of of a life changing opportunity that will determine most of our career pathways.

I haven't heard others looking to work in Chronic Illness, and I was told in my interview that funding for it is so limited that PHAP has a very small percent of host sites that do Chronic illness. Anyone work or would like to be in the field?

@YMT2012 , I'd like a chance to work outside of my usual field of interest and wouldn't mind chronic illnesses and diseases.

@white rose, nothing yet on my end :(

It would be nice to at least tell the people who did make it that it's tentative on budget and hiring freeze updates. I see a lot of people are waiting for the decision before taking other opportunities

It really would. I think the wait is driving us all crazy lol. I just hope we have enough time to relocate and find new places to live, but I'm sure it'll be a scramble lol. I'm sure this will be a very interesting experience lol.

Has anyone tried calling lately to see if they would give out any new information?

Has anyone tried calling lately to see if they would give out any new information?

Yes I did. They only said they are in the process of matching candidates to host sites. Then they asked for my name and I was shook lol

Yes I did. They only said they are in the process of matching candidates to host sites. Then they asked for my name and I was shook lol
Did you give them your name? If so, what did they say?

Really?! Lol did you tell them? On the positive side, what if they were going to tell you if you've been matched lol?

Did you give them your name? If so, what did they say?

I did give my name the person was really sweet. She loved my name and wished me a good luck throughout the process.

At this point... I would be excited for anyone to hear they got placed, even if it was for the same and field I wanted to be in. lol I think Mondays Im less antsy, but every week by Thursday/Friday I jump at every email buzz I get to my watch... and feeling that phantom vibration.

At this point... I would be excited for anyone to hear they got placed, even if it was for the same and field I wanted to be in. lol I think Mondays Im less antsy, but every week by Thursday/Friday I jump at every email buzz I get to my watch... and feeling that phantom vibration.
I feel the same way at this point. Any news at all would be nice lol.

Sorry if this has already been covered but does anyone know when (or if) they will inform the interviewees who were not successful? Thanks!

They don't send you anything. You just stopped getting any communication from them. Which def sucks
Sorry if this has already been covered but does anyone know when (or if) they will inform the interviewees who were not successful? Thanks!