2017 PHAP (Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spoitier

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
:hello:
This may be jumping the gun a bit since apps just opened today but oh well--we can have an early start to freaking out over the waiting game :p
(For people just seeing this thread and wanting to know more about the program/application, here's a link: https://www.cdc.gov/phap/index.html)

Some conversation-starters to get discussion going:

Past applicants:
-How did the application process go for you?
-If accepted, what factors about your resume/interviews/etc do you think made you successful?
-Current associates: can you tell us about your current placement?
-If not accepted, what would you do differently if you could try again (or are trying again)?

Current applicants:
-Share any and all questions/concerns/frustrations you might have! You can also search the previous years' threads to see if your question has been asked/answered in the past
-Keep us posted when you receive any notifications!
-Remember that apps are due 11:59pm EST on Jan 9!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for creating this forum! I have also started my application :)

Last edited:
Hi!! I'm working on the application as well. Does anyone know how to answer #19 job preference? All I see is that you choose 1,2,3 or 4 and 1 is 1.9 or less, 2 is 2.0 to 2.94 and so on. Is there somewhere else that I should be looking? I can't figure out what that means. Hopefully this isn't a dumb question. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!! I'm working on the application as well. Does anyone know how to answer #19 job preference? All I see is that you choose 1,2,3 or 4 and 1 is 1.9 or less, 2 is 2.0 to 2.94 and so on. Is there somewhere else that I should be looking? I can't figure out what that means. Hopefully this isn't a dumb question. Thanks!

Hi!

I looked at the occupational questionnaire I had from last year's PHAP posting and for #19 it says:

19. Job Preference
01 1.9 or less
02 2.0 to 2.94
03 2.95 to 3.94
04 3.95 to 4.0

I guess who ever wrote this year's occupational questionnaire failed to proofread it...

And this wasn't a dumb question! You were right to be confused by it.

;)

It is referring to your GPA! Are you filling out the pdf/paper version? I was confused by that as well. After completing the stuff on USAjobs (resume, transcript, etc) it takes you to a CDC job portal where you complete that form online, and it seems they did proof-read that version!

Has anyone faxed in the school verification form? I tried this afternoon but it wouldn't go through...

Hi!

I looked at the occupational questionnaire I had from last year's PHAP posting and for #19 it says:

19. Job Preference
01 1.9 or less
02 2.0 to 2.94
03 2.95 to 3.94
04 3.95 to 4.0

I guess who ever wrote this year's occupational questionnaire failed to proofread it...

;)

Edit: replied to the wrong post, sorry!

It is referring to your GPA! Are you filling out the pdf/paper version? I was confused by that as well. After completing the stuff on USAjobs (resume, transcript, etc) it takes you to a CDC job portal where you complete that form online, and it seems they did proof-read that version!

Has anyone faxed in the school verification form? I tried this afternoon but it wouldn't go through...
It seems like you have this application figured out! I am confused about what needs to be uploaded to the USAjobs portion. I was thinking that the questionnaire had to be submitted with the documents but you completed it from the following CDC portal? Do we just upload our resume and transcript (for current students)? I'm also curious if the assessment questionnaire and the occupational questionnaire are the same thing? This whole application is a little more complicated than I expected!

Last edited:

Hi! I called this morning regarding the school verification form and they said to upload it as an additional document on your application.

Ohh so I should just upload my resume, transcript and school verification form and then after that the questionnaire will come up? Thanks! It's not all that straightforward.

You can upload all the required documents on the USA Jobs application part or when it sends you on to finish the occupational questionnaire part (they redirect you to a CDC application manager) you can also upload your documents there. I uploaded them on the CDC application manager because for some reason it wouldn't transfer the documents over I had uploaded on the USAJobs part of the application. I submitted my application today and included my undergrad transcript, grad transcript, school verification form for my grad transcript since I haven't graduated yet, and my resume.

I did have a question whether it was necessary to submit both undergrad and graduate transcripts? Or if they only needed the most recent transcript of the qualifying degree? For example, I graduated with my Bachelors in 2011 and I recently graduated with my Masters; so since this program is for Recent Graduates only I submitted my Master's transcript with degree awarded date.

EDIT: I just went ahead and obtained an unofficial transcript from my undergrad program with degree awarded date and submitted it. I tried calling the number for PHAP and they said they didn't know and gave me the CDC number that's listed on the job announcement. I tried calling this number again and still couldn't get through (I previously tried calling last Tuesday when the announcement opened and again on Friday morning).

Last edited:
I'm on the USA jobs website, I'm confused on what to upload. I've uploaded my Resume, where am I suppose to get my school verification form? Also where can I find the CDC online portal questionnaire?

Also, do I upload my official or unofficial transcript since I'm a current student?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, do I upload my official or unofficial transcript since I'm a current student?
Hey! I uploaded a copy of my official transcript and an enrollment verification. I got my enrollment verification certificate from my online student account. Maybe you can try and google your school name with enrollment verification .. I think it should come up

Has anyone uploaded a cover letter to their documents? All I have so far is my resume, transcript, and enrollment verification. I can't find a list of required documents anywhere.

Has anyone uploaded a cover letter to their documents? All I have so far is my resume, transcript, and enrollment verification. I can't find a list of required documents anywhere.
If you go to the original job posting on USA Jobs and navigate to the menu that says "Required Documents" on the right hand side it lists what you need there. If you intend on attaching all of your documents online instead of faxing them in then scroll down the text in the "Require Documents" section until you reach "1.Your Resume". That starts the list of the items you need. The assessment questionnaire can be completed online as you move through the USAJobs application form it will eventually send you on to another website to complete the questionnaire.

If you go to the original job posting on USA Jobs and navigate to the menu that says "Required Documents" on the right hand side it lists what you need there. If you intend on attaching all of your documents online instead of faxing them in then scroll down the text in the "Require Documents" section until you reach "1.Your Resume". That starts the list of the items you need. The assessment questionnaire can be completed online as you move through the USAJobs application form it will eventually send you on to another website to complete the questionnaire.
Thank you!

Hi! Just heard about PHAP today- like previous posters I am confused about the occupational questionnaire; why is it not showing up for me after I've uploaded my resume and required docs?

Hi! Just heard about PHAP today- like previous posters I am confused about the occupational questionnaire; why is it not showing up for me after I've uploaded my resume and required docs?
It should show up as you move further in the application.

Keep hitting Save and Continue until it sends you to it. Don't worry you won't accidentally submit your application.

Okay so just to summarize what we should upload: resume, transcript, and confirmation (if needed). Then when you continue they'll forward you to the questionnaire U.S. Office of Personnel Management OMB No. 3206-0040 Occupational Questionnaire - OPM Form 1203-FX and
Public Health Advisor-CDC Public Health Associate Program for Recent Graduates where they ask about experience? Cause I have filled them out and
don't know if I should attach or not (why is this application so vague???) Thanks for help!

Has anyone submitted their application yet? I just did (and included all the required documents that are mentioned above) but my Application Processing Status is still saying that my application is incomplete because documents are missing...

btw I would encourage everyone to upload your resume through the USA Jobs resume creator one instead of uploading your own pdf/word doc resume :)

Has anyone submitted their application yet? I just did (and included all the required documents that are mentioned above) but my Application Processing Status is still saying that my application is incomplete because documents are missing...

Mine too! Just submitted.. not sure why?

Hi!

19. Job Preference
01 1.9 or less
02 2.0 to 2.94
03 2.95 to 3.94
04 3.95 to 4.0

;)

Hi! Going off of this, I'm confused because there's a gap in the answer choices on the questionnaire for #19.

It goes from O3 2.94 to 3.49 and then jumps to O4 3.95 to 4.0. My GPA sits between a 3.5 and 4.0. I figured it was a typo, but I wasn't sure which answer choice to put down to be safe. Any thoughts? Or what did others do?

Hi! Going off of this, I'm confused because there's a gap in the answer choices on the questionnaire for #19.

It goes from O3 2.94 to 3.49 and then jumps to O4 3.95 to 4.0. My GPA sits between a 3.5 and 4.0. I figured it was a typo, but I wasn't sure which answer choice to put down to be safe. Any thoughts? Or what did others do?

I have the same question as tondo21. My GPA sits between a 3.5 and 4.0. Anyone? please help!

tondo21 - In case I do not see any answers today, I might end up submitting with O3 2.94 to 3.49, just to be safe. I feel this is not right :(

Good Luck! Everyone

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!

19. Job Preference
01 1.9 or less
02 2.0 to 2.94
03 2.95 to 3.94
04 3.95 to 4.0

I guess who ever wrote this year's occupational questionnaire failed to proofread it, thus the typo...

;)

Thanks Empress. This helps! :)

Tondo21 - FYI: I have selected O3 2.94 to 3.49

Hi all,

If you're currently a student, should
you include the CDC's student enrollment certificate
and a verification transcript from your school?

I'm a bit concerned since the registrar isn't open until Monday,
and that's when it's due.

Also, wrt the employment questionnaire, can I move on to that
without having all of my documents uploaded?

Keep hitting Save and Continue until it sends you to it. Don't worry you won't accidentally submit your application.
I'm having the same issue with questionaire, I just see HTML formatting stuff. I just emailed both CDC and USAJOBS to fix this. Hopefully it will be fixed before the deadlines.

\

Hi! I applied through the USAJobs site but I didn't get redirected to a CDC job portal to complete a form. Is there a form that we have to complete with the CDC also? Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind...I think I know what you are talking about, I completed it. LOL

For the school verification form, is there a way to upload that to the online application (since I'm applying online) or does it have to be faxed?

EDIT: I got a verification form directly from my school, one not provided by the CDC, but I'm looking to include both to be safe.

Hi everyone,
Application submitted, now to play the waiting game!
Good luck to everyone

I just submitted my resume, unofficial transcript, and the assessment but it says my application is incomplete. help?

I just submitted my resume, unofficial transcript, and the assessment but it says my application is incomplete. help?

If you read through the posts on this thread, you'll see that it takes some time for your uploaded documents to be processed. Once that's finished, your application will be marked complete.

I'm having the same issue with questionaire, I just see HTML formatting stuff. I just emailed both CDC and USAJOBS to fix this. Hopefully it will be fixed before the deadlines.
I thought it was the computer I was using. I keep seeing HTML codes. :( Should I just submit it?

I thought it was the computer I was using. I keep seeing HTML codes. :( Should I just submit it?

Yes, you should just submit your responses and required documents. I emailed them last Tuesday when the announcement first opened to let them know the HTML was off and #19 needed to be fixed but they never fixed it...

Good luck all! Including the ghost readers of this forum.

This may be jumping the gun a bit since apps just opened today but oh well--we can have an early start to freaking out over the waiting game :p
(For people just seeing this thread and wanting to know more about the program/application, here's a link: https://www.cdc.gov/phap/index.html)

Past applicants:
-If accepted, what factors about your resume/interviews/etc do you think made you successful?
-If not accepted, what would you do differently if you could try again (or are trying again)?

Current applicants:
-Share any and all questions/concerns/frustrations you might have! You can also search the previous years' threads to see if your question has been asked/answered in the past

Past applicants:

Current applicants:

Hi,

I submitted my application on Saturday, Jan 7th. It changed from incomplete to received in couple of hours. I just checked, it's still "received". It has not changed to "processed" yet. Based on your experience, can anyone tell if it is OK and nothing to worry. How much time did it take for your application to change from received to processed. Thanks!

Mine too. I'm so scared. When did you submit it ? I heard it take some time to process the documents that we uploaded. Is it still saying incomplete?

Hi,

I submitted my application on Saturday, Jan 7th. It changed from incomplete to received in couple of hours. I just checked, it's still "received". It has not changed to "processed" yet. Based on your experience, can anyone tell if it is OK and nothing to worry. How much time did it take for your application to change from received to processed. Thanks!

The documents will say processed, however I believe if your application says "received" then you've done all you needed to do. "Received" means your documents have been processed (otherwise your application would say "incomplete").

The documents will say processed, however I believe if your application says "received" then you've done all you needed to do. "Received" means your documents have been processed (otherwise your application would say "incomplete").
I submitted mine around 7:15 today, and mine still says that it's incomplete and that my documents are still "processing". I'm really scared that it might not get processed in time before it closes at 11:59pm. Help! What do I do?

Hello everyone,

2016 PHAP here! I remember this process like it was yesterday. It was arduous, stressful, and confusing but totally worth it. This site saved me a lot of stress, especially when the referrals came back in March. Also, the current PHAPs also gave some good advice. If you have any questions about the process or my or my peers' experiences, please let me know.

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone,

2016 PHAP here! I remember this process like it was yesterday. It was arduous, stressful, and confusing but totally worth it. This site saved me a lot of stress, especially when the referrals came back in March. Also, the current PHAPs also gave some good advice. If you have any questions about the process or my or my peers' experiences, please let me know.

Good luck everyone!
I submitted mine around 7:15 today, and mine still says that it's incomplete and that my documents are still "processing". I'm really scared that it might not get processed in time before it closes at 11:59pm. Help! What do I do?

I just submitted. It says incomplete but I turned in the verification form, transcript, and resume and filled out the redirected form.

Should I panic? Am I missing something or will it just take a while to update to received from incomplete?

I just submitted. It says incomplete but I turned in the verification form, transcript, and resume and filled out the redirected form.

Should I panic? Am I missing something or will it just take a while to update to received from incomplete?
SAME. I NEED an answer!

FYI, I've been waiting for almost 3 hours, and nothing has changed. I'm really starting to get worried.