2017-2018 Weill Cornell Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The general consensus here which I fully agree with is to minimize contact with the office of admissions. That means 1 ITA, 1 pre II update/interest, 1 post decision update/letter of intent MAXIMUM. They already saw the first ITA and took it into consideration when giving out interviews during the time that you were going to be in New York. Sending another one would just annoy them. Also keep in mind Cornell interviews 1/6 of the people who apply. Continuously sending them ITA requests when you're in New York may paint the picture that you are entitled to an interview, which in turn will make them not interview you.
I think that makes a lot of sense, which is why i was wondering in the first place if I should send the second ITA. Appreciate the input

Members don't see this ad.

The general consensus here which I fully agree with is to minimize contact with the office of admissions. That means 1 ITA, 1 pre II update/interest, 1 post decision update/letter of intent MAXIMUM. They already saw the first ITA and took it into consideration when giving out interviews during the time that you were going to be in New York. Sending another one would just annoy them. Also keep in mind Cornell interviews 1/6 of the people who apply. Continuously sending them ITA requests when you're in New York may paint the picture that you are entitled to an interview, which in turn will make them not interview you.
I think we should call every day at noon. That way they know we're dedicated to Cornell. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
What do you mean by "post decision update/letter of intent."? Do you mean after the interview but before the decision? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean by "post decision update/letter of intent."? Do you mean after the interview but before the decision? Thanks.

Yes. It's almost like a promise that if admitted, you will enroll. It's technically not binding, but it's very very very frowned upon to send those to multiple schools.

Any body wish to share if they know what happens when you don't honor a letter of intent

Yes. It's almost like a promise that if admitted, you will enroll. It's technically not binding, but it's very very very frowned upon to send those to multiple schools.

Any body wish to share if they know what happens when you don't honor a letter of intent
They can alert other schools and you can lose your acceptances everywhere. Doesn't always happen, but it certainly can.

Current MS3 here at Cornell. If you're in the area for a second time I think it's fine to let the admissions office know as long as it's been a reasonable amount of time between the two episodes ( e.g. >1.5 months). Use your best judgement, but don't over analyze it. My interview invite came after I sent an ITA email. I was also accepted off the waitlist and sent in 3 update letters after being placed on the waitlist, although the 3 update letters were for 3 different publications coming out in that short time frame so it was a bit of a unique circumstance.

Before you send a letter just think about whether or not it is necessary. Writing to tell the school you really want to go there more than once is unnecessary. Telling them you'll be nearby a second time after a significant break from the last time you were nearby isn't.

edit: also, don't send more than one letter of intent because admission staffs do speak with one another. In fact anytime a school accepts someone off a waitlist after the 1 school commit deadline, they usually call the school the person is committed to (they can see this) in order to let them know as a courtesy.

Reactions: 1 user
Current MS3 here at Cornell. If you're in the area for a second time I think it's fine to let the admissions office know as long as it's been a reasonable amount of time between the two episodes ( e.g. >1.5 months). Use your best judgement, but don't over analyze it. My interview invite came after I sent an ITA email. I was also accepted off the waitlist and sent in 3 update letters after being placed on the waitlist, although the 3 update letters were for 3 different publications coming out in that short time frame so it was a bit of a unique circumstance.

Before you send a letter just think about whether or not it is necessary. Writing to tell the school you really want to go there more than once is unnecessary. Telling them you'll be nearby a second time after a significant break from the last time you were nearby isn't.

edit: also, don't send more than one letter of intent because admission staffs do speak with one another. In fact anytime a school accepts someone off a waitlist after the 1 school commit deadline, they usually call the school the person is committed to (they can see this) in order to let them know as a courtesy.

Do you think it would be appropriate to send an update prior to receiving an interview invite? I have two more publications and figured that would warrant an update

So I wrote a white paper for the biotech company that I am working for. The paper will be distributed to investors, scientists, the media, etc. and will also be published on the company’s website... Is this worthy of an update?

So I wrote a white paper for the biotech company that I am working for. The paper will be distributed to investors, scientists, the media, etc. and will also be published on the company’s website... Is this worthy of an update?
So I cured cancer. Is THIS worth an update? #1Up

No need to be rude... Asking because I’m not sure what the school’s policy is for updates (like do they only want changes in transcript, new job, etc.)
I was making a joke, sorry if it came off rude

I'm pretty sure that their policy just says "major" update. What that means is up to you. I think that your paper sounds good and is worth telling them about. I think they just don't want people to send them emails every time they sneeze.

I'm pretty sure that their policy just says "major" update. What that means is up to you. I think that your paper sounds good and is worth telling them about. I think they just don't want people to send them emails every time they sneeze.
Awesome, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
They can alert other schools and you can lose your acceptances everywhere. Doesn't always happen, but it certainly can.

Just out of curiosity, if after your interview you were super excited about the school and you blurt out "I'd love to attend if accepted!" would that be held against you?

Just out of curiosity, if after your interview you were super excited about the school and you blurt out "I'd love to attend if accepted!" would that be held against you?
haha yeah I fell in love at the interview too :D i doubt it, only shows interest!

haha yeah I fell in love at the interview too :D i doubt it, only shows interest!

Haha I was worried that they would take it as a statement of intent and notify other schools. It's just a little too soon in the cycle for me to commit to any school.

No no, definitely won't hurt you. While it sounds a little semantic, I think it would almost be rude not to say something along those lines. They've taken the time to interview you and you're NOT excited at the prospect of attending there?? Of course not. So, saying something like "I would be excited to come here if I were accepted," just means that you appreciate their time and think it would be a great place to study medicine.

Do you think it would be appropriate to send an update prior to receiving an interview invite? I have two more publications and figured that would warrant an update

Absolutely. If they've been published send in a letter about how you're still interested in the school and would appreciate an interview, but that you're writing today to share a new update in your application and then the two pubs.

I know that Cornell is receptive to ITA emails, but if I already sent one before and didn't interview the first time around, would sending a second one be frowned upon if I'm coming back to NYC?

They review your app almost immediately following an ITA email and at that point will decide if you will be receiving an invite or not and will put you in a queue for an interview email depending on when you said you were going to be ITA. You can send a second one, though I think the chances might be slim if you weren't screened to get an II with your initial ITA email.

Also, as an aside regarding letters of intent (not letters of interest), the dean of admissions does not take them seriously as he has found applicants matriculate at the same rate regardless of whether they submitted a letter of intent. On the flip side, letters of interest are welcome post-interview and certainly encouraged post-waitlist (if you are serious about possibly matriculating).

They review your app almost immediately following an ITA email and at that point will decide if you will be receiving an invite or not and will put you in a queue for an interview email depending on when you said you were going to be ITA.

RIP, pack it in boi’s looks like that L is coming for us who didn’t hear back post ITA.

Reactions: 3 users
II this afternoon!
OOS but born and raised in NYC >20 years, ORM but underprivileged background, complete since mid September, stats in signature. Good luck all!

EDIT: This may interest some people, as per the above conversation: This comes less than a week after me sending them an ITA. Have no idea if it had anything to do though.

Edit: This was my signature at the time:
Class of 2022!
MD Schools:
19 cGPA: 3.99 MCAT: 521 LizzyM: 77.9
Pre-II: H 1 | R 8 | WD 3
II 6 | IA 5 | A 2 | WL 1 | R -
Canadian Schools (dual citizen): 4 | R 2 | II 2 | A - | WL -

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
If we mentioned a new job/an anecdote during our interview, should we still submit a formal update letter (with more details) to make sure it will be fully represented in our file? I'm not even sure where to ask if this is appropriate or not haha

If we mentioned a new job/an anecdote during our interview, should we still submit a formal update letter (with more details) to make sure it will be fully represented in our file? I'm not even sure where to ask if this is appropriate or not haha

Lol. You just asked the same question in so many threads.. but to answer the question..telling your interview != Update on your file

Lol. You just asked the same question in so many threads.. but to answer the question..telling your interview != Update on your file
thanks! Yup, I repeated the question because I suspect it might be school specific (to some extent) how formally they submit those updates.

So it wouldn't be inappropriate to send in an update letter (while also reaffirming interest in the school)?

They review your app almost immediately following an ITA email and at that point will decide if you will be receiving an invite or not and will put you in a queue for an interview email depending on when you said you were going to be ITA. You can send a second one, though I think the chances might be slim if you weren't screened to get an II with your initial ITA email.
Hi there, perhaps you can help me out, or anyone else who may know. If someone were to have sent an ITA late last week and received an II today, but in the meantime still managed to get assigned enough work to block off the time around the requested interview date..... how bad is that? Specifically, can I ask them for a January date, or does it come off like I was just trying to push my app through with the ITA without being serious about it? I really don't want to screw this up, dream school and all.

Hi there, perhaps you can help me out, or anyone else who may know. If someone were to have sent an ITA late last week and received an II today, but in the meantime still managed to get assigned enough work to block off the time around the requested interview date..... how bad is that? Specifically, can I ask them for a January date, or does it come off like I was just trying to push my app through with the ITA without being serious about it? I really don't want to screw this up, dream school and all.
It does look pretty sketch tbh. But what can you do. Either it's skip out on work or reschedule.

Bruh... Do you really even need to ask this question?

It does look pretty sketch tbh. But what can you do. Either it's skip out on work or reschedule.
Bruh... Do you really even need to ask this question?
I sure thought so :). Wasn't sure how terrible it seems from the outside. You think it looks bad?
It was not my intention at all, this is really just what happened. If it really looks bad I could make myself crazy to go in December anyhow, otherwise I would rather postpone. Maybe I should explain, this is academic (lab) work I need for my degree, so I can't pass it off or postpone it. When I sent the ITA I was clear for it, but then today my PI says he wants me to run more assays and such, and it's gotta happen this month, and the II came just a few hours later. Perhaps I should not have used the word "work". Does that seem somewhat different from how I originally phrased it? Thanks for your opinions!

EDIT: Yeah, I definitely should not have said "work". I'm too tired, my apologies. I think my question remains, unless I'm just not getting it and you can be kind enough to explain... I truly appreciate your opinions, thank you!

Last edited:
I sure thought so :). Wasn't sure how terrible it seems from the outside. You think it looks bad?
It was not my intention at all, this is really just what happened. If it really looks bad I could make myself crazy to go in December anyhow, otherwise I would rather postpone. Maybe I should explain, this is academic (lab) work I need for my degree, so I can't pass it off or postpone it. When I sent the ITA I was clear for it, but then today my PI says he wants me to run more assays and such, and it's gotta happen this month, and the II came just a few hours later. Perhaps I should not have used the word "work". Does that seem somewhat different from how I originally phrased it? Thanks for your opinions!

EDIT: Yeah, I definitely should not have said "work". I'm too tired, my apologies. I think my question remains, unless I'm just not getting it and you can be kind enough to explain... I truly appreciate your opinions, thank you!

Ah, that's a little different. If it affects your ability to matriculate because you won't have your degree in time, then you gotta do what you gotta do. However, you should really talk to the PI about it, they should be understanding and accommodate you.

Honestly, I have no idea but I would try to talk with your PI and see if it would be possible for you to take a few days off from your lab for the date you said you were going to be ITA and possibly make up for that time on the weekend (This similarly happened to me too when I was applying, and my PI was fine with it). That being said, the admissions staff is very kind, and I think they would accommodate your request if you were to explain the circumstances as we understand that people's schedules change all the time.

Ah, that's a little different. If it affects your ability to matriculate because you won't have your degree in time, then you gotta do what you gotta do. However, you should really talk to the PI about it, they should be understanding and accommodate you.
Honestly, I have no idea but I would try to talk with your PI and see if it would be possible for you to take a few days off from your lab for the date you said you were going to be ITA and possibly make up for that time on the weekend (This similarly happened to me too when I was applying, and my PI was fine with it). That being said, the admissions staff is very kind, and I think they would accommodate your request if you were to explain the circumstances as we understand that people's schedules change all the time.
I appreciate your ideas! I am going to talk with my PI tomorrow when we meet, and explore what can be done. If that doesn't help, then I'll try immediately explaining to the school. Either way I really want this interview, I guess that goes without saying, so there's no question of giving it up. Thanks for the help!

Also, as an aside regarding letters of intent (not letters of interest), the dean of admissions does not take them seriously as he has found applicants matriculate at the same rate regardless of whether they submitted a letter of intent. On the flip side, letters of interest are welcome post-interview and certainly encouraged post-waitlist (if you are serious about possibly matriculating).

Hi. Do you have any other great pearls of wisdom for us, cos you clearly run the place...esp. about the timeline for interviews and admissions.

Hi. Do you have any other great pearls of wisdom for us, cos you clearly run the place...esp. about the timeline for interviews and admissions.

Nothing else that I can think of at this moment. Anyone can PM me with specific questions if they have any. I'll be around SDN from time to time in the upcoming months (might be sporadic so it may take some time before I get back to anyone who PMs me).

Nothing else that I can think of at this moment. Anyone can PM me with specific questions if they have any. I'll be around SDN from time to time in the upcoming months (might be sporadic so it may take some time before I get back to anyone who PMs me).
Hey again. Do you know if they send out interview invites in order of application submission, or in batches? Have not heard since complete date mid -late August.

Hey again. Do you know if they send out interview invites in order of application submission, or in batches? Have not heard since complete date mid -late August.
It is independent of the order in which apps were received.

II just now - complete mid-August!

Reactions: 6 users

They send them out in small batches.

Has Cornell started to reject people? Saw it on the MD Rejections thread but haven't seen anything on this thread

Yeah, got a rejection yesterday, pre-II tho :( I probably warranted by own demise though-- accidentally sent them an update addressed to another school +pity+
Best of luck to the rest of you :)

Yeah, got a rejection yesterday, pre-II tho :( I probably warranted by own demise though-- accidentally sent them an update addressed to another school +pity+
Sorry to hear...a lesson to all applicants. Still, you have 2 acceptances, so you're in an great position in any case.

Yea that will definitely do it. Schools are looking for reasons to pull the trigger. I had a similar experience with Duke.

II came on Monday. This was completely unexpected but very exciting. I was complete 9/6.

Reactions: 2 users
Does Cornell accept letters of intent post interview. I know some people say these are not a good idea, but I also know some schools take them seriously and DO tell other schools if you don't end up following up.

Does Cornell accept letters of intent post interview. I know some people say these are not a good idea, but I also know some schools take them seriously and DO tell other schools if you don't end up following up.
I've no idea whether Cornell cares about LOI, but as a general rule: only send letter of intent to one school! I was told at an interview that Deans of Admissions talk. Take it seriously and only send if it is the school you would absolutely attend