2017-2018 Weill Cornell Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • There are four brief essays on the Supplemental Application. Please limit each statement to no more than 200 words. The questions are:
    • If you are not attending college during the upcoming (2017-2018) academic year, what are your plans?
    • Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to Weill Cornell Medical College.
    • Please describe a challenge you faced and how you addressed it
    • For MD-PhD applicants only: Please list the names of any Tri-Institutional faculty members with whom you'd like to do research. You do not need to list reasons, names are sufficient

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cornell secondary received this morning. Prompts are unchanged from last year -- @gyngyn. Good luck, everyone!

• There are four brief essays on the Supplemental Application. Please limit each statement to no more than 200 words. The questions are:
    • If you are not attending college during the upcoming (2017-2018) academic year, what are your plans?
    • Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to Weill Cornell Medical College.
    • Please describe a challenge you faced and how you addressed it
    • For MD-PhD applicants only: Please list the names of any Tri-Institutional faculty members with whom you'd like to do research. You do not need to list reasons, names are sufficient

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
MSAR says 2-10 letters, but on the secondary they only ask to put 3

should I just pick three? I sent them more

MSAR says 2-10 letters, but on the secondary they only ask to put 3

should I just pick three? I sent them more

I'm having the same issue! I thought I saw online somewhere too that you could have 3-5, but I must've been mistaken.

I'm having the same issue! I thought I saw online somewhere too that you could have 3-5, but I must've been mistaken.
MSAR definitely says 2-10; I just wrote my 3 best ones lol

they still receive all of them from AMCAS

How did you guys fill in term year/term? They ask to fill it out as we have it on AMCAS but the space for term year only lets you fill out one year (i.e. 2014) instead of the term year as listed on AMCAS (i.e. 2014-2015). Might be a dumb question but I'm not quite understanding how else we're supposed to do it?

How did you guys fill in term year/term? They ask to fill it out as we have it on AMCAS but the space for term year only lets you fill out one year (i.e. 2014) instead of the term year as listed on AMCAS (i.e. 2014-2015). Might be a dumb question but I'm not quite understanding how else we're supposed to do it?
well I did the year and then spring/fall

Reactions: 1 user
Just submitted my secondary! Relatively painless process. Time for the waiting game.

Members don't see this ad :)
They require an English-language literature writing intensive course. All I've taken is English comp 1 and 2, will this be good enough? Or should I try to fit in another writing course next semester?

Just submitted secondary! Since they are NOT a rolling admissions school, I guess we are in for the looooong haul.

They require an English-language literature writing intensive course. All I've taken is English comp 1 and 2, will this be good enough? Or should I try to fit in another writing course next semester?

I thought it said one writing intensive course was to be in the humanities. I used philosophy to fulfill this requirement. Your best bet would be to call...?

I thought it said one writing intensive course was to be in the humanities. I used philosophy to fulfill this requirement. Your best bet would be to call...?
I took a lot of English courses but just listed two philosophy classs that were especially writing heavy AND included English literature. I think as long as it's a humanities course that entailed some frequent writing and reading, it should be good.

Just submitted secondary! Since they are NOT a rolling admissions school, I guess we are in for the looooong haul.

It's still a good idea to get your app in as soon as possible for non-rolling schools!

no, you're fine

1. Writing-intensive courses: WCMC requires two semesters of writing-intensive courses, one in the humanities or social sciences (e.g., history, philosophy, anthropology), and one focusing on English-language literature.

I saw on last year's thread that Cornell recommended we submit the secondary within 72 hours... anyone know if this is still true? I worry the quality of mine will be poor if I do this

I saw on last year's thread that Cornell recommended we submit the secondary within 72 hours... anyone know if this is still true? I worry the quality of mine will be poor if I do this

I wouldn't believe everything you read on this site... My friend last year sat on his secondary for a month and still got an interview at Cornell, don't rush your app if it's going to sacrifice quality I would say as a general rule-of-thumb

That sounds insane! I heard that if you get it in within 2 weeks your fine as a general rule of thumb. I can't imagine Cornell would be so strict.

Wow! Already complete! (Sorry if unnecessary comment, but this is my first recorded "completed" school)

I submitted 7/3/2017 at 5:00pm and now complete 7/5/2017 at 2:16pm (pacific time)

FWIW, I added my letters to AMCAS as I submitted the secondary. I was worried this might delay things, but certainly not at Cornell, I guess!

For entering the 2 writing courses, how are you filling out "Term Year" and "Term?"

I was planning on writing the same as "Year" and "Term" from my AMCAS report, but the format "2012-2013" won't fit in the "Term Year" column- only a 4 digit number

For entering the 2 writing courses, how are you filling out "Term Year" and "Term?"

I was planning on writing the same as "Year" and "Term" from my AMCAS report, but the format "2012-2013" won't fit in the "Term Year" column- only a 4 digit number
I filled in the actual calendar year that the class was taken and then designated the semester. So for a class taken in the spring of the 2012-2013 academic year I wrote "2013" and "Spring"

Edit: I think this is the only reasonable way to do it based on the limitations

What kind of classes would count towards the English language literature requirement? I've taken English Comp and a bunch of anthropology/sociology classes, but I'm not sure if I should put English Comp as one of them

What kind of classes would count towards the English language literature requirement? I've taken English Comp and a bunch of anthropology/sociology classes, but I'm not sure if I should put English Comp as one of them
You probably should. Read through the requirements again, but it seems like 1 English writing seminar and 1 writing intensive "other class" should do the trick

Anyone else have trouble submitting this one? I got to the page that said "application confirmation", but when I check the status of my application, it says it's still incomplete, waiting on secondary and LOR (even though my LORs were on my AMCAS when it transmitted)

Anyone else have trouble submitting this one? I got to the page that said "application confirmation", but when I check the status of my application, it says it's still incomplete, waiting on secondary and LOR (even though my LORs were on my AMCAS when it transmitted)
it says to wait until the end of the next business day; not sure if they counted Monday or Tuesday

I accidentally put Weill Cornell Medical School instead of Weill Cornell Medicine. Will this be grounds for automatic rejection? God, I need to be more careful....

Reactions: 1 users
I accidentally put Weill Cornell Medical School instead of Weill Cornell Medicine. Will this be grounds for automatic rejection? God, I need to be more careful....
They will probably send someone to your home to execute you

Reactions: 5 users
I got a "complete" email yesterday with some more info plus the hilariously blunt statement that "it may take months before you hear from us again" :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
MSAR definitely says 2-10; I just wrote my 3 best ones lol

they still receive all of them from AMCAS

I emailed them and they said they want 2-3 ones, and prefer to have a committee letter. However, if you want to send them more they will accept them, they just need to be indicated on the AMCAS app. The 2-3 listed on your secondary will be viewed as "most important" rec letters though.

Are we not able to put spaces between paragraphs? When i copy and paste my essay, the space between the paragraph disappears..

Did anyone have an amcas fee waiver to submit? On the secondary it stated my secondary fee is waived but when I press save it asks for my credit card information to pay.

Was anyone able to figure out how to add a break between each paragraph?

Is it okay to list literature for one of my writing courses if I forgot to list it on my primary app as a future class I plan on taking?
Thank you!

Did anyone have an amcas fee waiver to submit? On the secondary it stated my secondary fee is waived but when I press save it asks for my credit card information to pay.

Did you figure this out? I have a waiver and am having the same issue.

For those of you with FAP and having submitting issues: I emailed admissions and was told they are looking into this. They asked me not to submit until they can resolve the issue.

Hope they can fix it soon so that we can submit!

I'm such an idiot AHH. I submitted my application but accidentally used two biology writing intensive courses to fulfill the writing intensive course pre-req. Needed to use one of my humanity W course instead. Noticed immediately after I submitted.

I contacted the school and told them of my mistake but I'm nervous because their policy is that no changes can be made to app after submission. What do you guys think? I have the pre-req done, just filled out the form incorrectly.

I'm such an idiot AHH. I submitted my application but accidentally used two biology writing intensive courses to fulfill the writing intensive course pre-req. Needed to use one of my humanity W course instead. Noticed immediately after I submitted.

I contacted the school and told them of my mistake but I'm nervous because their policy is that no changes can be made to app after submission. What do you guys think? I have the pre-req done, just filled out the form incorrectly.
I'm sure they'll work it out with you! They probably just use that info later for matriculation to verify your pre reqs or make sure you've gotten them done if you didn't have them. I bet they don't even use it to screen for interviews! I wouldn't worry about it:) and you've checked in with them now, so you've done all that needs to be done with it!

I'm sure they'll work it out with you! They probably just use that info later for matriculation to verify your pre reqs or make sure you've gotten them done if you didn't have them. I bet they don't even use it to screen for interviews! I wouldn't worry about it:) and you've checked in with them now, so you've done all that needs to be done with it!

Perhaps, thanks for the positive attitude!

I also found this on their website, which might be helpful to others as well:

1. Writing-intensive courses: WCMC requires two semesters of writing-intensive courses, one in the humanities or social sciences (e.g., history, philosophy, anthropology), and one focusing on English-language literature
But also this on an FAQ page:

I have writing intensive courses, but they are not in the exact areas mentioned on the requirements page. May I count them?
Yes, we will allow courses that meet undergraduate writing requirements and other writing-intensive courses.​

Conflicting answers. Not too sure. Will report back when I hear from them.

Reactions: 1 users
Perhaps, thanks for the positive attitude!

I also found this on their website, which might be helpful to others as well:

1. Writing-intensive courses: WCMC requires two semesters of writing-intensive courses, one in the humanities or social sciences (e.g., history, philosophy, anthropology), and one focusing on English-language literature
But also this on an FAQ page:

I have writing intensive courses, but they are not in the exact areas mentioned on the requirements page. May I count them?
Yes, we will allow courses that meet undergraduate writing requirements and other writing-intensive courses.​

Conflicting answers. Not too sure. Will report back when I hear from them.

I emailed them about this and they said that the latter response is accepted. They prefer that your W courses are split between humanities and English, but they really don't care if your college had some other writing program going on.

Incoming MS1, if y'all got any questions about the process or WCMC, I would be happy to help with what I know thus far. Feel free to reach out to me, good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Do you know when we will start hearing back about IIs??