2017-2018 University of Texas - Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How detailed should the first part be (the one that asks you to list relevant experiences)? Should we write briefly about why that particular experience helped us realize we wanted to pursue that particular interest, or should we just list & describe our experiences in a factual manner? I'm having trouble filling up the whole 3500 chars for the first part if I just list my experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

How detailed should the first part be (the one that asks you to list relevant experiences)? Should we write briefly about why that particular experience helped us realize we wanted to pursue that particular interest, or should we just list & describe our experiences in a factual manner? I'm having trouble filling up the whole 3500 chars for the first part if I just list my experiences.
There doesn't appear to be a clear consensus on how to tackle that question, based on previous threads. However, I'm sure that applicants aren't expected to reach the 3500 max limit seeing how the adcom asks for bulleted format. I simply listed my experiences in said interests and limited my explanation to three or four sentences.

Hi. I'm an incoming MS1 at UTSW, and for the first prompt, I only had 430 characters. And I answered the question by stating, "I'm interested in this, because of this, this, and this." (in bullet form of course).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Will UTSW send out interview invites before they receive my committee letter from my college? TMDSAS will transmit my application to them ~July 20 (based on their twitter), and I am about to submit my secondary. However, my committee letter won't come in until about August 20th. They will send out the first batch of interview invites pretty soon right (based on years past)?

Last year I received my interview invite before my committee letter was submitted, during the first batch of IIs (about a week after I submitted my secondary and my primary was transmitted). Some people that don't submit the secondary even end up receiving IIs for that last date in January. Don't stress too much about it!

Reactions: 3 users
Last year I received my interview invite before my committee letter was submitted, during the first batch of IIs (about a week after I submitted my secondary and my primary was transmitted). Some people that don't submit the secondary even end up receiving IIs for that last date in January. Don't stress too much about it!

It's somewhat frustrating hearing that people who "don't submit the secondary" get interviews when there are people who correctly followed directions receiving nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It's somewhat frustrating hearing that people who "don't submit the secondary" get interviews when there are people who correctly followed directions receive nothing.
When I initially read that post, I had the same face that's in your thumbnail.:bored:

It's somewhat frustrating hearing that people who "don't submit the secondary" get interviews when there are people who correctly followed directions receiving nothing.
Yes there are many frustrating things happening at every school in the mystery game of admissions. Try to not let it affect you.

just submitted my secondary today, a lil late to the game but was dealing with residency issues that have since been cleared up. Has anyone recieved II yet?

FYI people last year were getting II's on 8/3. Some didn't get an email, just an update on the portal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interfolio sucks now. That is all.

Did anyone else get an email from admissions confirming receipt of the TMDSAS app also stating that "the application review process has begun"? I also have another email from back when I submitted the secondary.

Is this "under review" email new?

Edit: Reviewed earlier posts and found it. I didn't remember seeing any other than the secondary receipt on my first read through.

Did anyone else get an email from admissions confirming receipt of the TMDSAS app also stating that "the application review process has begun"? I also have another email from back when I submitted the secondary.

Is this "under review" email new?

Yup. That's for receipt of primary.

Side but related note: Soooo anxious about the impending IIs.

Hmmm. IIs should be any day now

Why do you say Wednesday?

Just looked on the website and the first interviews will be on Sept 9th. Therefore 1 month notice will be tomorrow.

Makes sense.

EDIT: they also say at LEAST three weeks notice will be given prior to interview. So maybe next week will be it.

So they only have 11 interview dates total. I wonder how many applicants they interview per day and total throughout an application cycle.

So they only have 11 interview dates total. I wonder how many applicants they interview per day and total throughout an application cycle.

All of the (physically) big Texas schools interview roughly 1k per cycle according to MSAR.

All of the (physically) big Texas schools interview roughly 1k per cycle according to MSAR.

But that would be ~90 students/day for UT Southwestern though lol

The interview tracker reports that UTSW II's have already gone out. Can anyone confirm this?

Tbh the II tracker is unreliable as hell. Too many trolls. There are enough people on SDN to track II's within each thread.
That was my impression, but I didn't want to assume the worst. Considering II's went out earlier this time last year I was inclined to believe the tracker. Hopefully we get some news soon.

That was my impression, but I didn't want to assume the worst. Considering II's went out earlier this time last year I was inclined to believe the tracker. Hopefully we get some news soon.

It's possible they sent out a small batch to some select desirable group (e.g. high stat OOS applicants or MD/PhD applicants). It seems like the first wave at McGovern was quite small last week. So who knows.

also remember that SDN is but a subset of med school applicants. A) those who use SDN and write posts, B) SDN lurkers, and C) non-SDN members. Group A is the coolest, of course.

It's possible they sent out a small batch to some select desirable group (e.g. high stat OOS applicants or MD/PhD applicants). It seems like the first wave at McGovern was quite small last week. So who knows.

With regards to McGovern, I don't have super high stats (LizzyM 73), but I still got an II. Their II might have to do with when TMDSAS was transmitted.

With regards to McGovern, I don't have super high stats (LizzyM 73), but I still got an II. Their II might have to do with when TMDSAS was transmitted.

Shooooot I hate how a LizzyM of 73 is considered "not super high stats" haha

Reactions: 2 users

I would like to believe it was based on transmission date to make myself feel better, but I think someone who submitted in June got an II.

also a lot of JAMP students interview there early I believe

Haha yeah I feel you, but unfortunately, some of the early invites really seem to be going to people with 520+ and 3.9+.

Haha yeah I feel you, but unfortunately, some of the early invites really seem to be going to people with 520+ and 3.9+.

It keeps me sane knowing that those people can only take up one slot at one school, yet receive interviews to many, if not all, of the schools haha

Reactions: 5 users
I needed this reminder. Thank you.

Reactions: 4 users
I just think this whole process is a a crapshoot as well that could easily make anyone crazy via over analyzing. It's a long process but I trust that we'll all be fine. Btw, a LizzyM of 73 is still really high and very impressive. Just remember the selection bias that is present on SDN lol

Reactions: 2 users
I transmitted 5/25 and have LizzyM 74 with IIs to other schools in TX but nothing from McGovern...
I just think this whole process is a a crapshoot as well that could easily make anyone crazy via over analyzing. It's a long process but I trust that we'll all be fine. Btw, a lizzyM of 73 is still really high and very impressive. Just remember the selection bias that is present on SDN lol

If you look at MSAR you'll see a LizzyM of 73-74 would put you in the top 10% of the class just about everywhere and still probably top 25% at Southwestern.

I needed to hear this too lol

Does anyone know the Fall 2017 admission statistics for UT Southwestern? Their website still displays the Fall 2016 one.

I transmitted 5/25 and have LizzyM 74 with IIs to other schools in TX but nothing from McGovern...

If you look at MSAR you'll see a LizzyM of 73-74 would put you in the top 10% of the class just about everywhere and still probably top 25% at Southwestern.
Thats weird. Same stats, similar transmission date, and same situation (multiple II's but nothing from McGovern)

Same here except LizzyM around 80. I do have a very nontrad background so I just figured McGovern wasn't feeling me.
From what I know about you (we're applying to the same schools, not trying to be creepy lol) I don't know why any school wouldn't be snatching you up. You seem like an excellent applicant, I think McGovern may just have an odd process for sending out II's.

received II yesterday for mstp

Reactions: 4 users