2017-2018 University of Oklahoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not yet. I’m just checking my email and this forum every five minutes.
+1

Members don't see this ad.

I just got the email earlier today letting me know I had been accepted off the WT, so they have started moving people off now. Hopefully y'all will be getting good news soon!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone familiar with the area know when is the best time to sign a lease? My brother in Norman told me that around the undergrad campus, if you wait till summer-ish, all the apartments have really good incentives, like a month or two free or a $1k gift card or etc
I'm familiar with norman. Yes this is true and if you want something cheap this may be the way to go but then you're also looking at a 20-40 minute commute to the health center depending on time of day and which side of norman you're on. Apartments closer to the health center are outdide of normal undergrad housing and will therefore be more normal in that it doesn't matter when you sign

I just got the email earlier today letting me know I had been accepted off the WT, so they have started moving people off now. Hopefully y'all will be getting good news soon!
Congratulations! That’s awesome!

Congratulations! That’s awesome!

Thank you so much! I had a very unattractive freakout and terrified my poor roommate and dogs with my excited screaming. I can't wait for other people on the WT to start getting their good news too!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much! I had a very unattractive freakout and terrified my poor roommate and dogs with my excited screaming. I can't wait for other people on the WT to start getting their good news too!

I would have paid to see this. Congrats!!

Anyone else with good news? :p or anyone that's asked about WT movement

I was probably going to call tomorrow!
I tried to get a hold of them at 10 and then again at 11 this morning, no answer both times. Hopefully its because they are spending their entire morning searching this thread and handwriting acceptances to those that are interacting on this thread. One can hope right guys? :D

I planned on calling again after lunch, around 1.:xf:

Reactions: 1 users
Talked to Brett. So far 4 left with multiple offers, and have taken 10 people off the waitlist. Hang in tight everyone! :cigar:

Talked to Brett. So far 4 left with multiple offers, and have taken 10 people off the waitlist. Hang in tight everyone! :cigar:
Wow thanks for asking! Quite some movement though, although sad there's not much potential for major movement now :C good luck to all and congrats to those who have been moved

Wow thanks for asking! Quite some movement though, although sad there's not much potential for major movement now :C good luck to all and congrats to those who have been moved
Not a problem, I wanted to know as well!
But yep the same, hopefully we hear from the last few from here!
Anyways, anyone open up the 2019 AMCAS application?

Members don't see this ad :)
15 people off the wait list, 3 people with multiple offers!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got accepted today, so there's still hope!

Any current students hanging around this thread? Incoming MS1 here, and I've got a question about required attendance. Looking at the preclinical curriculum and the course catalog, how many things with required attendance are there?

I'm guessing that anatomy will be lots of required attendance, but after that, how often are you required to be on campus for the morning stuff? And what about the afternoon clinical medicine/clinical research stuff?

Just asking because I'm the kind of person that learns best by myself in a dark room, not in lecture halls. It seems like lots of group learning stuff would break my studying rhythm. Thanks in advance!

Accepted on Thursday! I was offered both tracks and picked the Tulsa campus, so hopefully that means one of you fellow waitlisters will get an OKC spot soon! Good luck!

Does anyone know if theres been any cuts from the waitlist or are they waiting until later in the summer?

Does anyone know if theres been any cuts from the waitlist or are they waiting until later in the summer?
In last years thread someone reported being cut from the waitlist in July i think, check there to confirm.

Last year's thread indicates that started cutting late July

Anyone know how much waitlist has moved? I'm in a different country for vacation so I can't call myself

Last year's thread indicates that started cutting late July

Anyone know how much waitlist has moved? I'm in a different country for vacation so I can't call myself

I called in the afternoon on Friday but didn't get an answer. I'd like to know as well!

Accepted a few days ago and picked the OKC campus!

Any current students hanging around this thread? Incoming MS1 here, and I've got a question about required attendance. How many things with required attendance are there?

I'm guessing that anatomy will be lots of required attendance, but after that, how often are you required to be on campus for the morning stuff? And what about the afternoon clinical medicine/clinical research stuff?

Just asking because I'm the kind of person that learns best by myself in a dark room, not in lecture halls. It seems like lots of group learning stuff would break my studying rhythm. Thanks in advance!
At the beginning of school, everyone pretty much goes to class, even though not required. I’d recommend going at first to get a feel of things, make friends in your mod, and go to some free lunch meetings. I cannot stress enough how important it is to actually talk to your mod and form connections in that first week - so many people in my class lost out because they hung around the couple people they knew from college, ignored their mod, and by the second week, everyone formed their friend groups. Yes it is high school again.

In anatomy, you’ll be at school every day. Depending on how committed you are, you might be there from 8 am - 6 pm. You only have lab ~2 days a week, but most people go in every day at the end to see what the other group did. Anatomy sucks but you get through.

As for other classes, most sessions aren’t mandatory. Maybe 1 mandatory morning class a week (for quiz, clinical correlation, etc). We typically have 1-2 afternoon classes a week, some weeks less, very few weeks more. PPS is generally not required, but you get extra credit for going. That’s typically every Monday. By second semester, 15 people show up for morning classes maybe.

Make sure you go to the PACE mod meetings. They’re at lunch, you get a free lunch that’s actually good and not pizza, and they’re really helpful for telling you what to expect of the upcoming class.

Reactions: 4 users
25 have been accepted off waitlist - 1 holding multiple acceptances

Let's hope there's still hope for us WLers still left!

Hi, I'm moving down to attend the OKC campus from Tulsa. Is anyone looking for a roomate? (Female)

Hey everyone! I just got offered both OSU and OU Tulsa Track. Which should I pick???

Hey everyone! I just got offered both OSU and OU Tulsa Track. Which should I pick???
Ooo congrats first of all! So, you weren't given the choice of OU vs OU-Tulsa?

I'm currently on the waitlist for OU/OU-Tulsa and have been accepted to OSU, but I honestly think it depends on where you think you will thrive in the best + where you feel more comfortable in. Of course, with the DO/MD residency merger, I think going MD has a better chance in terms of just having a bit more of a chance for more competitive specialities if that's what you may be interested in (or if you want to keep your options open). Feel free to correct me if that's wrong though or if anyone else has anything to input for it.

Ooo congrats first of all! So, you weren't given the choice of OU vs OU-Tulsa?

I'm currently on the waitlist for OU/OU-Tulsa and have been accepted to OSU, but I honestly think it depends on where you think you will thrive in the best + where you feel more comfortable in. Of course, with the DO/MD residency merger, I think going MD has a better chance in terms of just having a bit more of a chance for more competitive specialities if that's what you may be interested in (or if you want to keep your options open). Feel free to correct me if that's wrong though or if anyone else has anything to input for it.
That was my thought as well! I think that I am going to go with the OU option. After discussing it with a few docs that I work with, they strongly recommended that I choose OU if i am interested in specialty vs primary care.

What does our tuition pay for? because here are some things that it doesn't pay for
drug screen $32
TB test $25
BLS $50

And here's the pièce de résistance, dept chairs make $350k per year at OUHSC, they couldn't even splurge for the STAMP on the rsvp's to the white coat ceremony. what's a stamp, fifty cents x 160 students? $80 was too much for them

What does our tuition pay for? because here are some things that it doesn't pay for
drug screen $32
TB test $25
BLS $50

And here's the pièce de résistance, dept chairs make $350k per year at OUHSC, they couldn't even splurge for the STAMP on the rsvp's to the white coat ceremony. what's a stamp, fifty cents x 160 students? $80 was too much for them

It will cost the university more than your tuition to train you, the difference will be made up by OK tax dollars and private contributions. That doesn't justify the fact that we have to pay for all these tests and what not, it's just important to keep that fact in mind.

Holy cow:soexcited:, so I got a call from Dr. Baker and have been accepted to the class of 2021!!! I am in utter disbelief and extremely excited for this wonderful opportunity, but I am a bit worried about my timeline with quitting my job, getting financial assistance etc. Does anyone have any tips or help with getting everything done? I just want to start everything off on the right foot come August 20th. Looking forward to meeting each and everyone of my future classmates! To my waitlist/rejected friends, be strong, I will be looking forward to meeting you guys too one day! :D

Holy cow:soexcited:, so I got a call from Dr. Baker and have been accepted to the class of 2021!!! I am in utter disbelief and extremely excited for this wonderful opportunity, but I am a bit worried about my timeline with quitting my job, getting financial assistance etc. Does anyone have any tips or help with getting everything done? I just want to start everything off on the right foot come August 20th. Looking forward to meeting each and everyone of my future classmates! To my waitlist/rejected friends, be strong, I will be looking forward to meeting you guys too one day! :D

Congrats! What a ride, I hope you don’t live super far away. (Also, do you mean 2022?)

Haha no, luckily I live in Moore so I don't HAVE to move immediately, but I think living as close as possible is definitely something I want to do as soon as some of the more important stuff is taken care of. And yes, that is totally what I meant. Forgot math in the heat of the moment. :laugh:

Any current student (or enlightened incoming) able to weigh in on what “professional dress” entails for orientation? Full suit interview-style? Dress pants, button-up, tie? Something else? Much appreciated!

Any current student (or enlightened incoming) able to weigh in on what “professional dress” entails for orientation? Full suit interview-style? Dress pants, button-up, tie? Something else? Much appreciated!
I assumed it meant shirt and tie. I wasn’t planning on wearing a coat.

Sorry to re-bump an old thread but based on people who have applied here or know others that have applied here would you say there’s any point whatsoever of applying here with a 492 MCAT?

Sorry to re-bump an old thread but based on people who have applied here or know others that have applied here would you say there’s any point whatsoever of applying here with a 492 MCAT?
No point at all. Realistically I would have at least a 504, maybe down to 502, both assuming you are in state and have some pretty stellar objective attributes to make up for being well bellow the school average.