2017-2018 University of Oklahoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Essays for Instate applicants who selected interest in the School of Community Medicine Track in Oklahoma. No essays for Instate applicants interested in the Oklahoma City Educational Track only.
  1. Please submit an essay (450 words or less) that explains your interest and commitment to Community Medicine.
  2. Please explain (in 250 words or less) how you expect the SCM track to enhance your medical education.
  3. Please enter any additional community or volunteer experience not included on your AMCAS application.
  4. Please enter any other relevant life experience that you feel might have an impact on your application to the SCM track.
Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
My AMCAS application hasn't been verified yet, but I have not yet received a secondary application. I called Dotty Shaw and was told they would go out in late June. Has anyone received theirs yet? Any previous applicants or current students know what the essay prompt is? I'm primarily interested in the SCM track. Thanks in advance!

My AMCAS application hasn't been verified yet, but I have not yet received a secondary application. I called Dotty Shaw and was told they would go out in late June. Has anyone received theirs yet? Any previous applicants or current students know what the essay prompt is? I'm primarily interested in the SCM track. Thanks in advance!

Amcas wont start transmitting applications until next Friday, 6/30. Even if your app is verified, it still hasn't been transmitted yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the notification that my AMCAS app was verified today. Has anyone else received secondaries? I know the 30th was just last Friday and that I likely won't receive anything in the next few days, just want to be on the lookout. Thanks in advance!

I got the notification that my AMCAS app was verified today. Has anyone else received secondaries? I know the 30th was just last Friday and that I likely won't receive anything in the next few days, just want to be on the lookout. Thanks in advance!
I was verified 6/12 and have not received anything from OU

Very anxious, obviously. Has anyone received secondaries?

This might not be super relevant, but I applied for the entering class of 2016, and my primary amcas app didnt get transmitted until 7/23. But I was looking through emails and got a secondary on 7/15. So maybe mid July they'll send out secondaries

This might not be super relevant, but I applied for the entering class of 2016, and my primary amcas app didnt get transmitted until 7/23. But I was looking through emails and got a secondary on 7/15. So maybe mid July they'll send out secondaries
Thank you!

Yep, sure am. IS applicant here.

Members don't see this ad :)
E-mailed OU and was told they send secondaries to everyone, which is consistent with the MSAR. I still have yet to receive one, however. Hopefully today!

+1. I would also like to add that there are only no essays if you choose to apply to the OKC campus only. There are four short essays if you choose the SCM track, or both.

@gyngyn

Essays for Instate applicants who selected interest in the School of Community Medicine Track in Oklahoma. No essays for Instate applicants interested in the Oklahoma City Educational Track only.

1. Please submit an essay (450 words or less) that explains your interest and commitment to Community Medicine.
  2. Please explain (in 250 words or less) how you expect the SCM track to enhance your medical education.
  3. Please enter any additional community or volunteer experience not included on your AMCAS application.
  4. Please enter any other relevant life experience that you feel might have an impact on your application to the SCM track.
Good luck everybody! Hope to see y'all on the other side! :)

Reactions: 1 users
OOS, received secondary yesterday. As far as I can tell, there are no secondary essays for OOS applicants unless applying for the SCM track.

tbh, this makes me a bit nervous. I know this school gives hella preference to IS applicants, and without a chance to explain my aspirations/why Oklahoma, I'm not sure how I feel about paying the app fee when they may not even take a second look at my application. Thoughts?

OOS, received secondary yesterday. As far as I can tell, there are no secondary essays for OOS applicants unless applying for the SCM track.

tbh, this makes me a bit nervous. I know this school gives hella preference to IS applicants, and without a chance to explain my aspirations/why Oklahoma, I'm not sure how I feel about paying the app fee when they may not even take a second look at my application. Thoughts?
I think there is an opportunity to express in-state ties on the application? Like you click "yes" on a question and an essay box appears?

EDIT: It's the first question on the "Questions" tab of the application.

Last edited:
Kinda a stupid question potentially, but how do you mark interest in the Community Medicine track?

Kinda a stupid question potentially, but how do you mark interest in the Community Medicine track?
It's one of the questions on the secondary. It asks you if you want to apply to the regular MD in Oklahoma city, Community Medicine track in Tulsa, or both.

So im not a resident of Oklahoma. So I select "no" for the "Are you a lifelong resident of Oklahoma?" question, but then it makes me select where I've lived before I moved to Oklahoma. But I havent moved to Oklahoma cause I've never lived there. What are people doing for that?

Last edited:
So im not a resident of Oklahoma. So I select "no" for the "Are you a lifelong resident of Oklahoma?" question, but then it makes me select where I've lived before I moved to Oklahoma. But I havent moved to Oklahoma cause I've never lived there. What are people doing for that?
I put "N/A" for both fields.

Are there any previously accepted students willing to read and provide input about my SCM secondary responses? I would appreciate it very much

The secondary says if you are currently attending a graduate program, you have to submit a letter saying you are in good standing with that program. Does anyone know when this letter is due and how I'm supposed to submit it?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What's up guys, I'm an incoming M1 this fall and would love to answer any questions about the process at OU!

What's up guys, I'm an incoming M1 this fall and would love to answer any questions about the process at OU!
For OOS applicants, what is considered the cutoff for a valid in-state tie to be properly considered as an applicant?

For OOS applicants, what is considered the cutoff for a valid in-state tie to be properly considered as an applicant?
The OOS applicants who I saw on interview day and those who are accepted in to my class either have gone to school in OK, have a job in OK, have a spouse in OK, have/had military service in OK, or had good family connections in the state.

How does OU look at MCAT retake scores and factor that in the calculation? I had a 505 but get new scores back on Tuesday and am worried sick about the possibility of dropping

is it worth it to apply here as an OOS student?

did you do anything after the secondary to express your interest in OU like application updates etc. ?

did you do anything after the secondary to express your interest in OU like application updates etc. ?
Nope, nothing at all. Getting an interview at OU is SOLELY dependent on your academics. Every applicant is given a cognitive score which is 70% MCAT and 30% GPA. That is used to grant interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Nope, nothing at all. Getting an interview at OU is SOLELY dependent on your academics. Every applicant is given a cognitive score which is 70% MCAT and 30% GPA. That is used to grant interviews.
Do you know how much this rule applies to OOS applicants?

This 70/30 evaluation is used for all applicants, IS and OOS, but the "cognitive score" given to OOS applicants has a much higher cut off for interviews than for IS applicants.

This 70/30 evaluation is used for all applicants, IS and OOS, but the "cognitive score" given to OOS applicants has a much higher cut off for interviews than for IS applicants.

that's helpful, thank you! :)

What about acceptances? Are they based entirely off the interview or are acceptances granted after consideration of the interview and cognitive score in combination?

What about acceptances? Are they based entirely off the interview or are acceptances granted after consideration of the interview and cognitive score in combination?

Combination. Both are considered after the interview to grant acceptances. Interviews are scored too based on the 7 AAMC Core Competencies. They ask a question addressing each of the competencies.

What would you say is a minimum to get an interview for both MCAT and GPA (or either if you happen to know)

Well they have stated minimums to even be considered, but those are really low. I don't think anyone knows what the threshold for the competency score is, but the lowest I've heard for IS that got an interview is 3.4/508. It could be even lower than this, but if you're at least there then you should get an interview.

Ahh thank you. I heard someone at my college (in-state) who had a 502 MCAT and got an interview + accepted, but I didn't know anything else about her.