2017-2018 Touro University - Nevada Touro University Nevada College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't doubt that you're having a ****ty time. That said, if you hate your school so much you actively try to push people away from it, have you considered that maybe this says more about you than the school?

I can't actually make the argument that it does, but I been there so I'd get it. What do your classmates think?
My comments are a collective voice of my classmates. If I really wanted to impart my own personal opinion on everyone in this forum, then this dialogue wouldn’t be that useful. You would essentially be getting the viewpoint of 1 pissed off student with no objective perspective on the issues going on at the school. You can continue to assume that, and maybe some day you will actually understand what goes on here. Right now, you don’t. You can find the people who will not care to say anything negative about the school, smile and continue on with their lives because if you come out and try to fight the system here, you will be silenced eventually. There have been stories in the past about students who had matched to their top program, subsequently bad mouthed a department at the school, ultimately being reported by the school to that student’s future residency, and having their residency offer rescinded. Whether it’s a true story or not, the fact that it would even be brought up or said would show that there are some playground level tactics going on. Everything that is mentioned here is from multiple accounts across multiple years.

But I’m sure it’s fine if you accept because you want to “make TUNCOM 2022 great again,” right?

Members don't see this ad.

What would you say if the other option was one of the newer schools like BCOM/ACOM/CUSOM ?
I can’t speak about other programs and what they can or can’t offer you. Some things that you should be aware of that’s happening to some current schools like Touro California or Touro Harlem is that their students are essentially being pushed out of clinical rotation locations that are within a reasonable distance from their home school. If the idea of having to drive or move 2-3 hours from where you settled yourself the first 2 years is okay with you, then maybe you can overlook this detail. If the schools you mentioned have actual clinical rotations and they aren’t making you move or compete with other schools in the area, then it’s probably okay. Again from the previous long post, the school won’t make or break your boards scores, you will achieve those on your own accord. What the school does have a greater influence on is where you receive your clinical training and the quality of those rotations. An additional note about new schools: If they are willing to listen to student’s opinions and actual respond to those opinions, then that is a good sign. If the school pretends to care about student’s opinions and still does what they want, then that is a bad sign. Just ask around on your next interview, “Do you feel that your school directly addresses the concerns that student’s bring up?”. But even then you might get some extra sugar with the answer.

If you are trying to choose between multiple acceptances, then make a ranked list of important things that you would want. Next to those things that you want, write another list of things that would be deal breakers. Choose accordingly.

This account was made to do exactly as the handle states, honesTUN. An honest account about TUN from unnamed sources. The things that are mentioned from each post will have more insight into the school than anything you will receive from your interviews or online information. Some information posted from this account will discuss topics that you would probably not even think to have considered into your decision.

Please ask relevant questions and you will get relevant answers.

I can’t speak about other programs and what they can or can’t offer you. Some things that you should be aware of that’s happening to some current schools like Touro California or Touro Harlem is that their students are essentially being pushed out of clinical rotation locations that are within a reasonable distance from their home school. If the idea of having to drive or move 2-3 hours from where you settled yourself the first 2 years is okay with you, then maybe you can overlook this detail. If the schools you mentioned have actual clinical rotations and they aren’t making you move or compete with other schools in the area, then it’s probably okay. Again from the previous long post, the school won’t make or break your boards scores, you will achieve those on your own accord. What the school does have a greater influence on is where you receive your clinical training and the quality of those rotations. An additional note about new schools: If they are willing to listen to student’s opinions and actual respond to those opinions, then that is a good sign. If the school pretends to care about student’s opinions and still does what they want, then that is a bad sign. Just ask around on your next interview, “Do you feel that your school directly addresses the concerns that student’s bring up?”. But even then you might get some extra sugar with the answer.

If you are trying to choose between multiple acceptances, then make a ranked list of important things that you would want. Next to those things that you want, write another list of things that would be deal breakers. Choose accordingly.

This account was made to do exactly as the handle states, honesTUN. An honest account about TUN from unnamed sources. The things that are mentioned from each post will have more insight into the school than anything you will receive from your interviews or online information. Some information posted from this account will discuss topics that you would probably not even think to have considered into your decision.

Please ask relevant questions and you will get relevant answers.

TUN claims to listen very carefully to their students citing examples such as the parking fiasco from a previous year and the free coffee machine(not sure if that can be cited as an accomplishment). They have also changed their policies to no longer mandate specific laptops (which they state is also a suggestion from their students). They also state that their local rotations will not be changing in light of the new UNLV class and that all rotations sites are within at most a 40 min drive.
What examples can you provide to show that Touro NV will have problems with their clinical rotations in the near future and that criticism from current students are not considered?

Members don't see this ad :)
TUN claims to listen very carefully to their students citing examples such as the parking fiasco from a previous year and the free coffee machine(not sure if that can be cited as an accomplishment). They have also changed their policies to no longer mandate specific laptops (which they state is also a suggestion from their students). They also state that their local rotations will not be changing in light of the new UNLV class and that all rotations sites are within at most a 40 min drive.
What examples can you provide to show that Touro NV will have problems with their clinical rotations in the near future and that criticism from current students are not considered?
The parking fiasco really shouldn’t be any kind of accomplishment considering that they collected money from students while being able to let their administration and faculty get better spots at the school, only to turn around and give the money away to students as a “scholarship.” Would you feel okay with someone collecting money from you for a certain purpose, only to find out that someone else in your class received that money? Did they mention that there wasn’t an issue with parking at all to begin with? And essentially they ended up hiding the fee into the tuition anyway, so ultimately it was a win-win for them (collect more money, get bettter parking spots). I agree with you and the coffee assessment. The laptop mandate was something suggested by the students... for almost 5 years. The problem with these examples they are bringing up is that they make it seem like students recently brought it up and they were able to provide a response, but it has taken multiple classes and multiple efforts from the students to the point that the school finally budged. You could respond to everything listed as, “you can’t please them all,” with the addition of, “better late than never,” but is it?

As for the rotations, I was not speaking about clinical rotations at Touro Nevada. The 2 examples that were given were Touro California and Touro Harlem. Touro Nevada is lucky that majority of our rotations have been established long enough it will not feel UNLV for a number of years. However, the relationship that has been established between preceptors for clinical rotations and the school is not the strongest. There are some preceptors that will continually complain about how painful it is to deal with the school. In addition, due to UNLV moving into the neighborhood, students are written off when any issues with a preceptor might arise (aside from anything related to sexual harassment). Although mainly handled on a case by case basis, there is another instance where a student did not ethically agree with how something was being done at one of their rotations and told the clinical education department. That student was called to come in and was interrogated about the incident, almost making it seem like it was their fault. The department told the preceptor about the incident, and needless to say it was an awkward rest of the month.

As for how clinical rotations might be affected, I really can’t say. You have UNLV starting their rotations in a couple of years and they’ll undoubtedly need to expand the number of rotations they can offer. They have the money of the state/government to fund those rotations, Touro has your tuition money. Maybe the clinical rotations won’t be affected at all and there’s nothing to worry about. As for the school not listening to the students’ suggestions, aside from what was mentioned already, a few other things would be current condition of the lecture halls. Some of the seats... a lot of the seats in the lecture hall are broken and need repair. It is truly not unusual for a student to literally fall out of their seat during lecture or an exam because the seat broke. Another thing about lecture halls, by the time you matriculate, Mediasite might be taken down. Mandatory class will be in effect and some of the people that do not learn in that particular style will suffer from wasting countless hours physically being at lecture. Mediasite was a service being offered by the school as a means to remotely watch lectures that have been recorded online. Touro Harlem has embraced this, Touro Nevada has not. Finally, if you ever get a chance to watch the lecture recording, the quality is so poor you might as well be watching one of the weather cameras from the Weather Channel during a snow storm. Although not that terrible, the inconsistency and poor quality of the recordings makes it a gamble to rely on this method of learning, which the school is perfect okay with because of what was mentioned previously.

On the flip side, how about some things that weren’t suggested by the students, but the school used money to do it anyway. For example, iPads that are placed by some of the classrooms to provide you with information on what events are scheduled for the day in that space. iPads...iPads.... In addition, tall screen TVs like the ones at the front entrance placed around the hallways to provide you with upcoming events and notices.

Really there are many things that you can’t see because you are not in it, but again these are just some of the things that won’t be mentioned. You have more or less made up your mind, but for many others, they have not. I would be ecstatic if you came to TUN and called it your home for the next 4 years and managed to be happy about the decision. No one ever wants someone to commit 4 years to anything and not be happy. This is simply a means to allow you to make the most informed decision possible.

The parking fiasco really shouldn’t be any kind of accomplishment considering that they collected money from students while being able to let their administration and faculty get better spots at the school, only to turn around and give the money away to students as a “scholarship.” Would you feel okay with someone collecting money from you for a certain purpose, only to find out that someone else in your class received that money? Did they mention that there wasn’t an issue with parking at all to begin with? And essentially they ended up hiding the fee into the tuition anyway, so ultimately it was a win-win for them (collect more money, get bettter parking spots). I agree with you and the coffee assessment. The laptop mandate was something suggested by the students... for almost 5 years. The problem with these examples they are bringing up is that they make it seem like students recently brought it up and they were able to provide a response, but it has taken multiple classes and multiple efforts from the students to the point that the school finally budged. You could respond to everything listed as, “you can’t please them all,” with the addition of, “better late than never,” but is it?

As for the rotations, I was not speaking about clinical rotations at Touro Nevada. The 2 examples that were given were Touro California and Touro Harlem. Touro Nevada is lucky that majority of our rotations have been established long enough it will not feel UNLV for a number of years. However, the relationship that has been established between preceptors for clinical rotations and the school is not the strongest. There are some preceptors that will continually complain about how painful it is to deal with the school. In addition, due to UNLV moving into the neighborhood, students are written off when any issues with a preceptor might arise (aside from anything related to sexual harassment). Although mainly handled on a case by case basis, there is another instance where a student did not ethically agree with how something was being done at one of their rotations and told the clinical education department. That student was called to come in and was interrogated about the incident, almost making it seem like it was their fault. The department told the preceptor about the incident, and needless to say it was an awkward rest of the month.

As for how clinical rotations might be affected, I really can’t say. You have UNLV starting their rotations in a couple of years and they’ll undoubtedly need to expand the number of rotations they can offer. They have the money of the state/government to fund those rotations, Touro has your tuition money. Maybe the clinical rotations won’t be affected at all and there’s nothing to worry about. As for the school not listening to the students’ suggestions, aside from what was mentioned already, a few other things would be current condition of the lecture halls. Some of the seats... a lot of the seats in the lecture hall are broken and need repair. It is truly not unusual for a student to literally fall out of their seat during lecture or an exam because the seat broke. Another thing about lecture halls, by the time you matriculate, Mediasite might be taken down. Mandatory class will be in effect and some of the people that do not learn in that particular style will suffer from wasting countless hours physically being at lecture. Mediasite was a service being offered by the school as a means to remotely watch lectures that have been recorded online. Touro Harlem has embraced this, Touro Nevada has not. Finally, if you ever get a chance to watch the lecture recording, the quality is so poor you might as well be watching one of the weather cameras from the Weather Channel during a snow storm. Although not that terrible, the inconsistency and poor quality of the recordings makes it a gamble to rely on this method of learning, which the school is perfect okay with because of what was mentioned previously.

On the flip side, how about some things that weren’t suggested by the students, but the school used money to do it anyway. For example, iPads that are placed by some of the classrooms to provide you with information on what events are scheduled for the day in that space. iPads...iPads.... In addition, tall screen TVs like the ones at the front entrance placed around the hallways to provide you with upcoming events and notices.

Really there are many things that you can’t see because you are not in it, but again these are just some of the things that won’t be mentioned. You have more or less made up your mind, but for many others, they have not. I would be ecstatic if you came to TUN and called it your home for the next 4 years and managed to be happy about the decision. No one ever wants someone to commit 4 years to anything and not be happy. This is simply a means to allow you to make the most informed decision possible.

Hold up, lecture is mandatory now?

Holy ****, just got accepted!! Interviewed 3/5.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got accepted! Interviewed 3/5. MCAT 505 GPA 3.68 Can't wait to see you guys there!!

Accepted!!!! Looks like 3/5 was a good date for acceptances :)

My comments are a collective voice of my classmates. If I really wanted to impart my own personal opinion on everyone in this forum, then this dialogue wouldn’t be that useful. You would essentially be getting the viewpoint of 1 pissed off student with no objective perspective on the issues going on at the school. You can continue to assume that, and maybe some day you will actually understand what goes on here. Right now, you don’t. You can find the people who will not care to say anything negative about the school, smile and continue on with their lives because if you come out and try to fight the system here, you will be silenced eventually. There have been stories in the past about students who had matched to their top program, subsequently bad mouthed a department at the school, ultimately being reported by the school to that student’s future residency, and having their residency offer rescinded. Whether it’s a true story or not, the fact that it would even be brought up or said would show that there are some playground level tactics going on. Everything that is mentioned here is from multiple accounts across multiple years.

But I’m sure it’s fine if you accept because you want to “make TUNCOM 2022 great again,” right?

I must let you know that whoever honesTUN is, he does NOT speak with a "collective voice for all of his classmates." This is their personal opinion, which they are absolutely entitled to but they do not get to speak for everyone else. I am assuming this is student that is disgruntled with their performance and is upset enough to make an account to complain about the school. I will agree with some of the points made and in their past post but they have been exaggerated and blown out of proportion. There will be small things you don't love no matter what school you decide to go to and if you thing medical school is going to be all rainbows and butterflies you are in for a surprise. And for the record I participate in a lot of the interview day activities and I am not an "actor." The students will be real with you and answer your questions honestly.

TUN has a pretty good track recorded with a 98% pass rate on COMLEX Step 1 & 2 this last year and a 99% pass rate on the USMLE. Granted these numbers are a demonstration of hard work and dedication of the students, but I do feel that TUN provides the students with the tools they need to achieve their goals. We also had a 95% match rate this last year which is pretty awesome. I know a lot of students that have matched in their top choice programs. If you felt good about the school on your interview day then I would absolutely recommend you choose to attend TUN. I some programs to choose from and even with some of the hiccups along the way I am still happy with my decision to attend TUN. I wouldn't let the opinion of one unhappy student sway your decision about which medical school to attend. Do a pros and cons list and decide for yourself. If you have any concerns I would be more than happy to answer questions. I am not going to sugar coat things but I am also not going to catastrophize them either.

Reactions: 6 users
Current first year here. Wrote this last month for someone on the interview trail who wanted my opinion. I honestly don't know the comprehensive history of the school as maybe @honesTUN does but these are my thoughts so far:

I ended up attending three interviews and deferring one. Of the three that I attended, I definitely felt that Touro’s systems based curriculum was the best for me. This is the style of didactic learning most schools are in favor of to prepare students for board examinations. Touro has transitioned to this style starting with my class, as brought on by our new dean, Dr. Dougherty, from KCUCOM. As you may already know, board scores are one of the greatest determinants regarding your ability to enter whatever your specialty of interest is. From what I can tell, most of the material we cover correlates with the board prep material (First Aid, BRS, etc.) that I’ve used to supplement my studying.

I would say that most professors in our faculty are of good quality. There are some who read straight from the powerpoints and a couple of professors where you may be better off just looking at the slides. However, they are all very supportive and truly are there for your success. The “open door policy” is truly open. We are currently missing a dedicated physiology professor so other departmental faculty members are subbing in. They are actively working on recruitment to fill this role.

We currently have a very good selection of rotation sites in the southern Nevada region given that we were the only medical school in the area up until this past year with the opening of UNLV. Our CEO, former House Representative Shelley Berkley, is very savvy both politically and financially and is ensuring that the quality of our rotation sites remains solid. As an example (disclaimer: a second year student told me this), she apparently helped introduce legislature that capped the amount of compensation a school can provide for a clerkship slot thereby disincentivizing local hospitals from taking in non-local students.

The biggest ‘pro’ to TUN in my opinion is the location. The other three schools that I considered were located in the middle of nowhere. Living in Las Vegas is a great hub to access many other cities. I have family living in Los Angeles and getting there is a matter of hopping onto I-15S for 3 hours. If you like the outdoors, particularly the desert, you will love it here. There are several National Parks within relatively close proximity. The Strip likely needs no introduction. Las Vegas is a party destination and there is always something going on. Downtown proper is also very fun and a great destination to go de-stress following exams. If ya like to rage, you're at the right place.

The culture at Touro is pretty chill. I know nearly everyone in my class and can say assuredly that ~98% of them are super down to earth. We openly share resources and positively encourage each other. Almost everyone has or will experience a low moment at some point in time in this journey. There is always a pillar of support easily found in others. I have made several friends and feel very comfortable on campus.

As for the cons, I would say the warehouse style campus and that I’d also like for better communication/organization. The caveat to the former complaint is that objectively, the school has everything you need for completing your education. I’m not sure where you went for undergrad but almost certainly, the Touro “campus” is not as pretty. On a positive note, the school is undergoing heavy renovation and the new facilities are looking pretty nice. The recent opening of the simulation lab, the Tang Center, has been pretty exciting. The aforementioned communication problems range from minimally to moderately annoying. Some examples include last minute room changes for exams and occasional lectures going unrecorded (this has happened for <10 lecture hours).

All things considered, I am happy that I chose this school. I’m not really sure about how it compares to Touro California. A fellow interviewee who did his post-bacc at TUC said that TUN was better for what it’s worth. Also, our location definitely trumps theirs in my opinion.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
TUN has a pretty good track recorded with a 98% pass rate on COMLEX Step 1 & 2 this last year and a 99% pass rate on the USMLE. Granted these numbers are a demonstration of hard work and dedication of the students, but I do feel that TUN provides the students with the tools they need to achieve their goals. We also had a 95% match rate this last year which is pretty awesome. I know a lot of students that have matched in their top choice programs.

Just wondering, do you know what average COMLEX score for TUN is? It's not published on the website, but I don't know if it's ever been mentioned by word of mouth or something.

And as a separate question, are there certain areas/apartments that students would recommend living? I won't be able to attend acceptanance day but I do plan on making a later trip to look at apartments. They gave us a list during interview day, but it would be great to narrow it down.

What's crack a lackin' fam?! First and foremost, just wanted to congratulate everyone that has been accepted into a medical school (in particular, TUN). Welcome to the life of an insurmountable amount of knowledge (and debt) :^)! I remember when I was first doing my placement matches (and was shut down... repeatedly), I lost all hope and considered doing something else for a career... like switching to Mei (the other cancer of the world). But then I read my personal statement again and was reminded of why I chose this path.

I am currently a medical student of the good ol' T U of N. Just wanted to confirm (for the most part) what another student doctor posted above. It is true that TUN has free coffee machines all around campus! Unfortunately, the coffee isn't the best in quality BUT I mean hey!... it's free*! (*cost is probably worked into our tuition) Also true about the parking fiasco. From what I've heard, the current second year DO class had their orientation last of all the professional schools the previous year and therefore had the last dibs on parking passes which were sold out. Parking passes were up for purchase at some point again and guess what... they were NOT sold out this time around. My guess is that no one gave two hoots about going to class. But why would you? I mean, it's not mandatory (for the most part). There is also ample parking on the street flanking TUN so if you're a one trick pony like me, you'll appreciate a bit of sweat from walking in the 100+ degree heat during most of the year. But fret not, you can rehydrate yourself with conveniently placed water dispensers sprinkled throughout campus** (**also probably paid by our tuition). Also true that the faculty got "better parking" (kinda) spots but walking a few extra miles (feet) never killed anyone. Plus, you'll be so busy stuDYING that you'll appreciate the extra few steps on your iphone pedometer.

But lets get down to brass tacks. Mediasite is (was?) a valuable resource. Use it when you need to (or not), it's up to you. Go to class (or not), it's up to you. DO YOU KNOW WHY?! You're (probably) an adult. You fail an exam? YOU dun goofed. Don't blame your teachers, don't blame your school. Figure out what you did wrong and fix it. There was a guy that scored C's on all his tests and matched into NEUROSURG that is a Touro Alumn. A friend of mine told me when I was applying to medical school (and I'm paraphrasing) that it doesn't really matter what school you choose. You could put a medical school and the moon and it would be the same. Each school has a different curriculum but students from these school still take and pass the boards. So what does that mean? Find a school that you would like to be at. Look at the current students and see if they're happy. Look at the faculty and see if they're someone that could teach you a thing or two. But most of all, look at the people that got accepted (on SDN) and see if they're complete trash (like some above, not pointing arrows) or if they're the ones you want to work with on your journey to becoming a physician. YOU determine how much you want the specialty you've decided on and how much you're willing to work for it. Putting the blame on someone else is cowardly... like hiding behind an energy shield or running up a wall.

And I mean yeah... look at the rotations too... cause who wants to drive to or make living arrangements in a different city to get an education. If you want to do all of your rotations in one city? Great. TUN has that set up. You want to enter into a lottery and get stationed in a city and commute all over the place? Great, go to... ATSU-SOMA? Some of the rotations that I've been on have not been the best. Standing around for 6 (really like ~1-2) hours watching and waiting for my attending to let me do something is kinda crap. But you know what? I have UpToDate on my phone (which you can access FOR FREE*** through the Touro library [***probably paid for by our tuition]) and learn about diseases or work ups that I am not familiar with. Again, how much do I want that residency spot that only accepts 5 applicants and traditionally has been from MD schools? Also from what I hear, UNR has "donated" most of their (if not all) rotations sites in Las Vegas to UNLV's medical school. Either way, whatever you choose, you're an adult, you can handle it. If not, you gon lern today.

For what it's worth, I'm happy with my decision in choosing TUN. As the first year stated above, the culture at TUN is quite different from other schools. My cohort (and the cohort before and after) are quite close and cohesive... like a pirate ship death ball. We have a study group page on Facebook that students use to share their study guides or online resources they found. The only gunners in our class are the ones that main soldier and mcree (cause they have guns...). Open door policy by our faculty is also awesome. Have I ever used it? Nope. BUT it is nice to know that there is someone that is open to helping you out as needed. Faculty in terms of quality are average to above average. We have great professors and not great professors (not uncommon in any arena of academia). Again, how much do you want that residency spot? You still need to learn the material so be and adult and use what resources you can. Phone a friend, find a website, hire a tutor. TUN offers free**** peer tutoring (usually an upperclassman [****probably paid for by your tuition]).

Lastly, the windows are a lie.

Gotta get back to the grind. PM for deets, can send U(don) noods as needed. Best of luck!

Reactions: 9 users
Just wondering, do you know what average COMLEX score for TUN is? It's not published on the website, but I don't know if it's ever been mentioned by word of mouth or something.

And as a separate question, are there certain areas/apartments that students would recommend living? I won't be able to attend acceptanance day but I do plan on making a later trip to look at apartments. They gave us a list during interview day, but it would be great to narrow it down.

Not sure about your first question but Remington Canyon, Ventana Canyon, Villa Serena, 80 on Gibson, Allegro, Griffis Cornerstone, Miro, and The Edge are popular apartment choices. They're all pretty similar in terms of accomodations and pricepoint. I personally live in a house and can't really comment about how good management is at those apartments but I haven't heard any horror stories. It seems like most students are at Remington/Ventana. I was probably the least impressed with Remington out of the places I've listed. *shots fired*

I must let you know that whoever honesTUN is, he does NOT speak with a "collective voice for all of his classmates." This is their personal opinion, which they are absolutely entitled to but they do not get to speak for everyone else. I am assuming this is student that is disgruntled with their performance and is upset enough to make an account to complain about the school. I will agree with some of the points made and in their past post but they have been exaggerated and blown out of proportion. There will be small things you don't love no matter what school you decide to go to and if you thing medical school is going to be all rainbows and butterflies you are in for a surprise. And for the record I participate in a lot of the interview day activities and I am not an "actor." The students will be real with you and answer your questions honestly.

TUN has a pretty good track recorded with a 98% pass rate on COMLEX Step 1 & 2 this last year and a 99% pass rate on the USMLE. Granted these numbers are a demonstration of hard work and dedication of the students, but I do feel that TUN provides the students with the tools they need to achieve their goals. We also had a 95% match rate this last year which is pretty awesome. I know a lot of students that have matched in their top choice programs. If you felt good about the school on your interview day then I would absolutely recommend you choose to attend TUN. I some programs to choose from and even with some of the hiccups along the way I am still happy with my decision to attend TUN. I wouldn't let the opinion of one unhappy student sway your decision about which medical school to attend. Do a pros and cons list and decide for yourself. If you have any concerns I would be more than happy to answer questions. I am not going to sugar coat things but I am also not going to catastrophize them either.
Please tell this to the 30 some odd students that are currently scrambling.

Current first year here. Wrote this last month for someone on the interview trail who wanted my opinion. I honestly don't know the comprehensive history of the school as maybe @honesTUN does but these are my thoughts so far:

I ended up attending three interviews and deferring one. Of the three that I attended, I definitely felt that Touro’s systems based curriculum was the best for me. This is the style of didactic learning most schools are in favor of to prepare students for board examinations. Touro has transitioned to this style starting with my class, as brought on by our new dean, Dr. Dougherty, from KCUCOM. As you may already know, board scores are one of the greatest determinants regarding your ability to enter whatever your specialty of interest is. From what I can tell, most of the material we cover correlates with the board prep material (First Aid, BRS, etc.) that I’ve used to supplement my studying.

I would say that most professors in our faculty are of good quality. There are some who read straight from the powerpoints and a couple of professors where you may be better off just looking at the slides. However, they are all very supportive and truly are there for your success. The “open door policy” is truly open. We are currently missing a dedicated physiology professor so other departmental faculty members are subbing in. They are actively working on recruitment to fill this role.

We currently have a very good selection of rotation sites in the southern Nevada region given that we were the only medical school in the area up until this past year with the opening of UNLV. Our CEO, former House Representative Shelley Berkley, is very savvy both politically and financially and is ensuring that the quality of our rotation sites remains solid. As an example (disclaimer: a second year student told me this), she apparently helped introduce legislature that capped the amount of compensation a school can provide for a clerkship slot thereby disincentivizing local hospitals from taking in non-local students.

The biggest ‘pro’ to TUN in my opinion is the location. The other three schools that I considered were located in the middle of nowhere. Living in Las Vegas is a great hub to access many other cities. I have family living in Los Angeles and getting there is a matter of hopping onto I-15S for 3 hours. If you like the outdoors, particularly the desert, you will love it here. There are several National Parks within relatively close proximity. The Strip likely needs no introduction. Las Vegas is a party destination and there is always something going on. Downtown proper is also very fun and a great destination to go de-stress following exams. If ya like to rage, you're at the right place.

The culture at Touro is pretty chill. I know nearly everyone in my class and can say assuredly that ~98% of them are super down to earth. We openly share resources and positively encourage each other. Almost everyone has or will experience a low moment at some point in time in this journey. There is always a pillar of support easily found in others. I have made several friends and feel very comfortable on campus.

As for the cons, I would say the warehouse style campus and that I’d also like for better communication/organization. The caveat to the former complaint is that objectively, the school has everything you need for completing your education. I’m not sure where you went for undergrad but almost certainly, the Touro “campus” is not as pretty. On a positive note, the school is undergoing heavy renovation and the new facilities are looking pretty nice. The recent opening of the simulation lab, the Tang Center, has been pretty exciting. The aforementioned communication problems range from minimally to moderately annoying. Some examples include last minute room changes for exams and occasional lectures going unrecorded (this has happened for <10 lecture hours).

All things considered, I am happy that I chose this school. I’m not really sure about how it compares to Touro California. A fellow interviewee who did his post-bacc at TUC said that TUN was better for what it’s worth. Also, our location definitely trumps theirs in my opinion.
we're smarter than messing with the bull by the horns

Does anyone know how to log in to our email? It's not terrifically clear. I log in to Touro One, go to email... but then it just brings up my personal gmail. I log out and it asks what account I want to use, I go to add account... but then it asks what my email is, and I have no idea.

I tried (my username)@touro.edu and (my username)@tun.touro.edu and neither of those worked... any other ideas? I can't find any details about it in my acceptance letter.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how to log in to our email? It's not terrifically clear. I log in to Touro One, go to email... but then it just brings up my personal gmail. I log out and it asks what account I want to use, I go to add account... but then it asks what my email is, and I have no idea.

I tried (my username)@touro.edu and (my username)@tun.touro.edu and neither of those worked... any other ideas? I can't find any details about it in my acceptance letter.

I thought I read somewhere that the email addresses wouldn’t be setup until later. I’ll keep an eye out for where I saw it and will let you know. Or better yet, will ask about it at acceptance day if you’d like?

Reactions: 1 user
I thought I read somewhere that the email addresses wouldn’t be setup until later. I’ll keep an eye out for where I saw it and will let you know. Or better yet, will ask about it at acceptance day if you’d like?
Too bad I didn't see this until the day was over. xD

Did it come up? I'm paranoid about staying on top of all my deadlines/required documentation, haha.

For those who were accepted on 3/13 @nightowls @Khyrst @bwn724 @hopefulblonde @what_the_effy - have you received the official acceptance email with the deposit instructions? My original acceptance email said I'd receive it in 1-2 days but it's been 4 days. Not that I'm complaining - this gives me more time to decide - but just want to make sure I haven't missed any important emails. Thanks!

For those who were accepted on 3/13 @nightowls @Khyrst @bwn724 @hopefulblonde @what_the_effy - have you received the official acceptance email with the deposit instructions? My original acceptance email said I'd receive it in 1-2 days but it's been 4 days. Not that I'm complaining - this gives me more time to decide - but just want to make sure I haven't missed any important emails. Thanks!

I was thinking the exact same thing. I have not received the official offer email yet. I was gonna wait until Monday or so to contact them. Admissions was probably caught up with acceptance day. But good to know I wasn't the only one!

Reactions: 1 users

I haven’t gotten it yet! I’ve actually declined another acceptance so I’m starting to freak out that I got the first one on accident LOL. Glad to know it’s not just me!

I was actually waitlisted :/

I was thinking the exact same thing. I have not received the official offer email yet. I was gonna wait until Monday or so to contact them. Admissions was probably caught up with acceptance day. But good to know I wasn't the only one!

I haven’t gotten it yet! I’ve actually declined another acceptance so I’m starting to freak out that I got the first one on accident LOL. Glad to know it’s not just me!

OK good I feel better! Thanks guys!

I was actually waitlisted :/

I'm so sorry I tagged you by accident! I hope you get off the waitlist! :)

Oh that's weird, I got the official acceptance email the following day.... Nah I'm just kidding. I haven't seen it either;)

For those accepted 3/13, just got my offical acceptance email.

Yeah I got mine about an hour and a half ago. Huzzah!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone,
I am posting because I am currently a fourth year student at Touro, I am moving out in June for residency and am trying to find someone to take my place. It is a 2 bedroom townhome 0.5 miles from campus (10-15min walk, <5min driving), it is located just behind Remington apartments.

It is kind of a weird situation because I will be paying rent through June so I am looking for someone to start a lease July 1, but I will be moving out at the beginning of June so you would have most of the month of June to move yourself in if you like.

I have absolutely loved living here, it is $1200/month; has 2 master bedrooms and a half-bathroom downstairs, washer/dryer (washing machine is new), 1 car attached garage and plenty of street parking, pets are okay.

If anyone is at all interested, please PM me.

Also, if anyone has any questions about the school, let me know. I am a fourth year so have been away from didactic coursework for quite a while and there have been many changes happening, but I can try to answer whatever I can!

Thanks!

Hi all! Anyone else who was accepted from the 3/5 interview date and put down a deposit not receive an email confirmation?

Hi all! Anyone else who was accepted from the 3/5 interview date and put down a deposit not receive an email confirmation?

I got my confirmation a few days later. It didn’t come right away!

Haha, it's like they are watching this thread... just got my deposit conformation 30 min ago.

For those still waiting for interviews and were put on interview waitlist. I got put on the interview waitlist in August and just today received an interview invite. So all hope is not lost for you guys. Especially because I will not be attending since I’ve been accepted to one of my top choices!! Good luck to whoever gets my interview.

Hi all, I just got selected for an interview. Do you guys think it's even worth going this late in the year?

Can anyone elaborate on the day-to-day here? i.e. what time do classes start for first years? is it mandatory? which classes/labs are mandatory? do you get a lunch break? what time do you leave? etc...

Hi all, I just got selected for an interview. Do you guys think it's even worth going this late in the year?

If you haven't been accepted anywhere else, then yes! If you have, but this is your dream school and money isn't a big factor, then yes! Personally I'd rather you didn't though, I'm one of those December Interview Waitlisters, and I'm still trying to remain optimistic.

If you haven't been accepted anywhere else, then yes! If you have, but this is your dream school and money isn't a big factor, then yes! Personally I'd rather you didn't though, I'm one of those December Interview Waitlisters, and I'm still trying to remain optimistic.

I feel like I should have added a smiley face or exclamation point on that last sentence, it was meant to be lighthearted but it reads like I really don't want you to go....which is true....ok, I'll just stop now

Reactions: 2 users
people are killing for an interview and you are asking if its worth it to go? If you already got better options maybe you should reject the offer and let someone else have your spot.

I feel like I should have added a smiley face or exclamation point on that last sentence, it was meant to be lighthearted but it reads like I really don't want you to go....which is true....ok, I'll just stop now

haha no worries! I really do like the school but I'm supposed to go out of the country that week so that's just why I was asking!

haha no worries! I really do like the school but I'm supposed to go out of the country that week so that's just why I was asking!

Was there only one date available? I seriously doubt they won’t work with you for a later date or earlier date if you’ve got non refundable international travel plans. Just email them and say you’re interested and explain. If you’re not interested just decline and let someone else go.

Was there only one date available? I seriously doubt they won’t work with you for a later date or earlier date if you’ve got non refundable international travel plans. Just email them and say you’re interested and explain. If you’re not interested just decline and let someone else go.

Thanks for the advice! I emailed them about that and I'm waiting to hear back. I'll let you guys know what they say if anyone else is in the same situation.

Thanks for the advice! I emailed them about that and I'm waiting to hear back. I'll let you guys know what they say if anyone else is in the same situation.

Good luck! And have fun abroad!

Paid my deposit yesterday! Really excited to be joining you guys.

Is there an accepted students FB page?

TUNCOM DO2022, ask to join and someone will add you