2017-2018 Rosalind Franklin University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I am a current applicant with a 3.58 Overall 3.42 Science with a lot of extracurriculars and such. My parents were Religiously Persecuted in Russia and escaped to the US. Today I found out I got a 501 :( so sad and Im wondering If I should apply to CMS. It is my dream school I live very close to campus. The one thing I got going for me was that my brother went there and I can put that on my secondary. Im not sure if I want to spend the $125 to apply because I think I have zero shot. What do you guys think?

You should retake the mcat and reapply next year. Apply when your application is at its best. Take the time you need to succeed.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone notice that the word count changed? I thought it initially wanted 100 words per essay but now the application says 150 words per essay?

Do you guys know if we have to take the Casper exam before the file is ready to be reviewed by an Admissions Committee?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you missed the point here. The point is not me saying that you got bad grades. The point is that the essay you proposed is a poor choice. A significant and lasting conflict with a coworker that you dealt with is adversity, while only being able to apply to medical school in the United States is still a point of privilege and not adversity when compared to pretty much any other struggle in life since you could just choose another career if you weren't interested enough in this career path.

I would uniformly recommend against writing about anything directly related to medical school applications in this essay.

"In the space provided, please discuss challenges in your journey to applying to medical school". So you take it to read "challenges in your life up until this point of applying to medical school"?

Why are people saying that 100 is the max for these secondaries? I just opened mine and it says 150 words or fewer

I was just about to post the same thing ... lol

I was just about to post the same thing ... lol
It was 100 words and they just changed it to 150 like 2 or 3 days ago. Many of us submitted when the limit was 100.

Reactions: 1 user
I think they don't review it until they have a score, but I'm not 100% sure.
Can anyone confirm this ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I emailed CMS about this and they said "Your application will not be complete until the CASPer test has been completed." I assume this means they will not start to review your app until they have your score, which is when they know you've completed it!

Also, is anyone tripping out with the required coursework section of the secondary app? I've completed all my prereqs (1 year bio/chem/physics/orgo with lab + biochemistry without lab) but am slightly confused by the text in the margin:

"One year Introductory Biology with accompanying laboratory (*or equivalent) - Two courses with laboratory

One year Physics with accompanying laboratory - Two courses with laboratory

Two-year Chemistry sequence that includes all three of these chemistry disciplines - Four courses with laboratory -
what does this even mean?!

General/Inorganic Chemistry with accompanying laboratory - One or Two courses with laboratory

Organic Chemistry with accompanying laboratory - One or Two courses with laboratory

Biochemistry (accompanying laboratory recommended but not required) - One or Two courses (laboratory recommended)"
Did anyone respond to you yet? It means you need to have taken 4 chem courses with lab, and across those 4 courses you have to hit on gen chem, organic, and Biochem at least once

Rosalind Franklin, I took the Casper for you. Now I hope you like me back :oops:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just checking here after submitting last night - there was an increase in word limit? My secondary app only had a 100 word option.

Just checking here after submitting last night - there was an increase in word limit? My secondary app only had a 100 word option.

I submitted on Saturday and mine was 150. When I originally pulled it up a week ago it was 100 but when I submitted it was 150.

Secondary Received and Submitted 7/1/17.
CASPer taken 7/9/17.

Too bad it takes 3-6 weeks for scores to arrive plus processing time -__-

I
I just found out that RFU requires the CASPer test now. Does anyone know if it's possible to receive a II or at least be considered for a II before the CASPer results are transmitted to them? I'm pretty unfamiliar with how CASPer works within the general timeline of application.
I emailed them and was told they will not review applications until your file is 100 percent complete. So yes they are waiting for our CASPer scores.

Is it weird to not have gotten a secondary yet? OOS student asking.

Is it weird to not have gotten a secondary yet? OOS student asking.
I really don't think there is any method to the madness. I have received and submitted secondaries from great schools such as Ohio State and Uof Miami but have not gotten anything from either of my state schools or some of the lower tier schools I have applied for.

I really don't think there is any method to the madness. I have received and submitted secondaries from great schools such as Ohio State and Uof Miami but have not gotten anything from either of my state schools or some of the lower tier schools I have applied for.

Nevada is weird though, they take the process very slow

Hi, just to be sure, they're counting words and not characters?

Sure PM me. I also went with the latter and wrote about the experience that I've gained from living in a multicultural community.
Ack. I saw this late and submitted it a while ago too. Thanks for the offer, and fingers crossed!

secondary received and submitted! When do you think we have to assign letters? I assigned all of my five letters to all of the schools in AMCAS.

I emailed admissions about this because of their strict LOE policy. They lay out 3 options to choose from for submitting LOE. Letters must be assigned at the time of the primary application submission and cannot be edited after that. I had a letter packet from my special master's program that only contained 2 letters and I was unable to use it. I instead had to submit 3 individual letters from undergraduate professors.

For those of you that have taken CASPer and thought that it is easy, would you mind sharing some of the questions you had and how you answered them?
Against code :rofl::rofl::laugh:;)

I kinda figured so since it's a situation judgment test. Thanks anyways.

Sample Question: If someone asked you nicely online to release confidential information on a test. What would you do?

Reactions: 13 users
Sample Question: If someone asked you nicely online to release confidential information on a test. What would you do?

So I'm pretty sure the questions are not that straightforward. We know all premeds would say "no" to releasing confidential information so how would they rank them against each other?

For those of you that have taken CASPer and thought that it is easy, would you mind sharing some of the questions you had and how you answered them?
They have a practice test available. I felt prepared after taking that.

So I'm pretty sure the questions are not that straightforward. We know all premeds would say "no" to releasing confidential information so how would they rank them against each other?

Some of them are THAT straightforward

Reactions: 1 users
I did it but it's only 3 sections and the questions did not seem straightforward at least to me.
Who said the questions had to be straight forward?

I emailed admissions about this because of their strict LOE policy. They lay out 3 options to choose from for submitting LOE. Letters must be assigned at the time of the primary application submission and cannot be edited after that. I had a letter packet from my special master's program that only contained 2 letters and I was unable to use it. I instead had to submit 3 individual letters from undergraduate professors.
Thanks for the post :) I'll reach out to them.

Just submitted my secondary! Good luck everyone!

Hello all, for my secondary, I am recycling a diversity essay I wrote for another school.In my essay, I wrote about the struggles of immigration to USA (yeah, kinda classic), and how that would contribute to diversity. But, it turns out that is basically been one of my most momentous hardships (which is the other essay). What do you guys recommend I do? Write another diversity essay (diff topic), write about some other hardship, or write something like hardship discussed in diversity essay and just move on?

PSA: Be ready for the long haul folks. I applied here last year and status updates/completion notices took 1-2 months to come out depending on when you submit your secondary

Hello all, for my secondary, I am recycling a diversity essay I wrote for another school.In my essay, I wrote about the struggles of immigration to USA (yeah, kinda classic), and how that would contribute to diversity. But, it turns out that is basically been one of my most momentous hardships (which is the other essay). What do you guys recommend I do? Write another diversity essay (diff topic), write about some other hardship, or write something like hardship discussed in diversity essay and just move on?

I'd pick another challenge and say how the experience taught you x y and z values, and then have a sentence at the end about how your immigrant background also lended to this.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I actually don't think being an actual immigrant is overused and is a legit challenge. However, I think talking about how one's parents are immigrants probably is.

Edit: I'm no adcom so I don't actually know anything

PSA: Be ready for the long haul folks. I applied here last year and status updates/completion notices took 1-2 months to come out depending on when you submit your secondary
Are you matriculating at RFU this year?

I actually don't think being an actual immigrant is overused and is a legit challenge. However, I think talking about how one's parents are immigrants probably is.

Edit: I'm no adcom so I don't actually know anything

I think you are overestimating how many people apply to medical school whose parents are immigrants and never went to college...

Reactions: 1 users