2017-2018 Pennsylvania State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you all out of state? I am OOS (MD) LM 69

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also was just put on hold.. IS complete 8/25

Any idea what this means compared to past years?

Those put on hold- did you get an email or was it a portal update?

As the previous posts, just put on hold too. OOS applicant. Hoping for II soon

Does anyone have experience with Penn State and can attest as to whether a pre-interview hold is a death sentence?

Does anyone have experience with Penn State and can attest as to whether a pre-interview hold is a death sentence?

I read some stuff on the PSU page for last year and it seems like it is definitely not a death sentence, as they also do pre II rejections this time of year. So it's definitely better than that, but it also seems we likely wont get a II until February - ish if at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I read some stuff on the PSU page for last year and it seems like it is definitely not a death sentence, as they also do pre II rejections this time of year. So it's definitely better than that, but it also seems we likely wont get a II until February - ish if at all.
Interesting, thanks and best of luck.

Also placed on hold. In state non-trad, complete 8/1.

Anyone complete in July and still in silence?

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone complete in July and still in silence?
I was complete 7/20 and haven't heard anything. I was complete with all 37 secondaries before mid-july and still haven't heard from 23 of them. This process sucks

Reactions: 5 users
I was complete 7/20 and haven't heard anything. I was complete with all 37 secondaries before mid-july and still haven't heard from 23 of them. This process sucks

Truly the worst process of all time. It's such a crapshoot that makes no sense haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why? I feel like it makes sense since not all applicants are assigned to the same reviewer.
Thats part of why its such a crapshoot. Whether or not you're invited for an interview depends almost entirely on who reviews/screens your app. They're people too, and they have biases and preferences. If the person/people who review my app don't like one aspect of it, I'm out. But if another person/group from the same school had happened to get it, they might have loved me, and invited me for an interview.

Its a tough problem, because you can't make it entirely formulaic (based on number/LM/WARS) because then it becomes very hard to quantify the 'intangibles' of a person, but it is very much a numbers game for those of us with average/slightly less than average stats.

Reactions: 5 users
Thats part of why its such a crapshoot. Whether or not you're invited for an interview depends almost entirely on who reviews/screens your app. They're people too, and they have biases and preferences. If the person/people who review my app don't like one aspect of it, I'm out. But if another person/group from the same school had happened to get it, they might have loved me, and invited me for an interview.

Its a tough problem, because you can't make it entirely formulaic (based on number/LM/WARS) because then it becomes very hard to quantify the 'intangibles' of a person, but it is very much a numbers game for those of us with average/slightly less than average stats.

Thank you for the help there haha didn't know that person was looking for a fight, but this was a great explanation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has the secondary prompt remained the same from prior years? I'm prewriting for the 2018-2019 cycle.

Silence for me, just checking in. Have a great day guys :)

yes I second this as well, but unfortunately there is nothing we could do about it other than wait and hope for the best

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone actually been rejected yet. I was put on hold today too, complete early Sept. IS

I saw that too but I'm a bit skeptical unless comes out and says they were rejected.

My friend has a conspiracy that those who weren't put on hold are going to be rejected.

Penn states "hold" email seems more promising than other schools because they say that they will review your app throughout the cycle, unlike some schools like drexel that say they arent going to review it again until the spring

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
It seems that if those haven't heard anything were rejected they would have already let you know. I'm not sure how it's somehow more time efficient to have a designated rejection email today. Then again I really have no idea.

7/21 and silence o'er here (seems to be the case for most schools I've applied to :/ )

Reactions: 3 users

I was complete throughout July. 33 secondaries and I have not heard from 27 schools.

Put on hold here yesterday. If it's anything like when I applied last year, it'll just be silence until march and then a rejection :(

Put on hold here yesterday. If it's anything like when I applied last year, it'll just be silence until march and then a rejection :(

Mind sharing when you were complete? I was complete on 9/5 and haven't heard anything....

Do you not make inappropriate jokes? What is that even like?!
There's a fine line between "inappropriate jokes" and "yeah, you probably shouldn't ever make a joke about that." Sorry, I'm no fun lol

Joining in on the conversation...complete late August. OOS with PA ties, silencioooo. Hopefully this is not a silent rejection.

So true. A med school adcom member I met told me he personally doesn't give a crap about the MCAT, but his colleague HARPS on it, anything shy of 513 at his school he's 99% going to reject.

Penn states "hold" email seems more promising than other schools because they say that they will review your app throughout the cycle, unlike some schools like drexel that say they arent going to review it again until the spring

Hold is like being in limbo. Who knows what'll happen.

Hold is like being in limbo. Who knows what'll happen.

Coincidentally yesterday I was at the Admissions office (I help with some applicant lunches) and I have been told by a higher-up there that Penn State does keep reviewing the people on-hold during their committee meetings. This wasn't something said in front of applicants to make them feel better and it's a trustworthy, honest source. So for those of you on hold, at least know that you aren't being tossed in some pile in the corner and that your hold doesn't automatically mean a rejection.

Reactions: 6 users
Coincidentally yesterday I was at the Admissions office (I help with some applicant lunches) and I have been told by a higher-up there that Penn State does keep reviewing the people on-hold during their committee meetings. This wasn't something said in front of applicants to make them feel better and it's a trustworthy, honest source. So for those of you on hold, at least know that you aren't being tossed in some pile in the corner and that your hold doesn't automatically mean a rejection.
Not saying there's no hope, but its just such an annoying spot to be in.

Also, II yesterday. DM for information.

Reactions: 4 users