2017-2018 Pennsylvania State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today!! OOS. Complete 7/30. LM score ~ 67-70.

Question: Is Harrisburg the best airport to fly into? Or is it cheaper to fly to a big hub like Phili and then take train/bus?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got on hold email. At least it wasn't rejection email..

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also placed on hold. Was put on hold two years ago and then subsequently rejected pre-II. Is on hold basically a rejection orrrr does anyone know otherwise?

Reactions: 2 users
On hold email pre II - complete mid July OOS

Anybody complete in August who were placed on hold?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
also on hold. complete on 7/27 and submitted on 7/27. staying positive though

Just got placed on hold, complete mid September. LM 70 OOS.

I don't think anyone has gotten rejected yet right? Meaning they either like you enough to interview or they put you on hold. If they rejected people then I guess being put on hold would be a good thing because they're showing interest. Oh well =/

Also placed on hold about 45 minutes ago. Should I be disappointed? Penn State is ranked very highly on my personal school list. Does anyone know what the outlook for an interview is after being placed in this catergory? IS, non-URM, LM 67, complete 07/22.

Last edited:
Complete 07/22 and still nothing. Anyone else??

Reactions: 6 users
So what is the consensus on hold vs silence? I haven't here a peep, complete on the 7/13.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Just placed on hold. Complete first week in October.

Last edited:
So I searched through last year's thread and it said that according to the previous year, pre-II hold gets reviewed around Feb for March interview

Reactions: 4 users
Silence on my side, complete in late August

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I searched through last year's thread and it said that according to the previous year, pre-II hold gets reviewed around Feb for March interview

Did you happen to notice if anyone received pre-II rejections?

So everyone who hasn't gotten an interview is on hold or just silence?

Regarding our status, do they update the portal or send out emails?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hm, weird pattern-- people being put on-hold complete all the way from July till October. I was complete mid-August and still nothing. Wonder how they go through applications.

Hm, weird pattern-- people being put on-hold complete all the way from July till October. I was complete mid-August and still nothing. Wonder how they go through applications.
7/20 here and silence

I think it depends on the reviewer, some are faster than others.

As someone from PA fly into pittsburgh airport or Harrisburg. Philly is very far away and cost a lot to travel via rental car.

Pittsburgh is farther away from Harrisburg than Philadelphia by a non-trivial amount. People are probably recommending flying into Philly because the Harrisburg airport is pretty small and has fewer flight options.

Hi all,

I was one of the five Medical Student Design Partners last year who helped to pilot and build the PSCOM University Park Program, and I'm currently one of the 12 students in the first year of the UP Program. I haven't checked this thread in a while and it looks like there are some odd misconceptions (for example, we do indeed have 12 MS1s in addition to the 12 MS3s and 18 MS4s here). I would be happy to answer any questions you might have as you're going through the admissions process at PSCOM and other schools. In a nutshell, the UP admissions process involves first being accepted by PSCOM in general following your interview in Hershey, after which time a subset of accepted students will be selected to come to UP for an interview event, and then UP acceptances will be decided thereafter.

The UP Program is built around experiential learning in the clinic, where you will spend 12 hours each week in a primary care clinic starting in the first month of MS1. You will quickly learn patient navigation skills and rooming skills, proceeding to a more clerkship-like experience by the winter of MS1. Clinic will provide you the opportunity to meet and work with patients and physicians who will hopefully inspire your curiosity with real patient stories. Each week you will write up a patient summary (much like a case presentation but including health systems and medical humanities information) which you will present to your Inquiry (IQ) Group, a team of six MS1s plus a physician. Each of the six students in the IQ group present their case for the week and then the group decides on which two cases will be the focus for the Wednesday and Friday seminar sessions. Working in this way, students get the opportunity to explore topics which interest them and which actually apply to the patients they are working with in clinic. This asynchronous and experiential learning setup helps to anchor our learning and make it quite practical. For example, my IQ has so far focused on diverse topics from HIV to trimalleolar ankle fractures to bipolar disorder to ectopic atrial tachycardia to pulmonary embolism. It is indeed a quite tight-knit group here, and that may not be the right fit for everyone but frankly we love it.

One other big misconception I've heard is that the program is only designed for rural or primary care-inclined people. If that description fits you, great, but we are by no means pushing anyone in a particular direction. I'm personally interested in specializing and working in an urban setting, and our students vary in a similar manner to the Hershey Program; the past few years of our Match agrees with this and I would expect we get more diverse in interests, not less, with the new UP Program curriculum.

In any case, I wanted to put out some correct information since I saw several people post about the UP Program. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Cheers.

Reactions: 4 users
Placed on pre-interview hold. Complete 7/18....

what does a hold mean vs just silence?
The age old question...I assume not good enough for an interview yet compared to the applicant pool, but not so horrible we have already shredded you application while laughing. Probably meet there standards, but they want to see if anyone else puts in an application that they find better, but have not reviewed yet.