2017-2018 Pennsylvania State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Any current students or alumni willing to say something about Penn State, in terms of strengths of this school or how well the curriculum prepares students for the board exams?

What is the difference between the Hershey and the University Park program curriculums? Is it just a difference of location?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
If any prev applicants can comment on this, I would really appreciate it!
Is it worth for me to apply here?
I'm a non-dual Canadian with 3.8/507 but pretty impressive ECs.

Thanks!

Any current students or alumni willing to say something about Penn State, in terms of strengths of this school or how well the curriculum prepares students for the board exams?

MSII here. I think strengths include: P/F first two years, early clinical experience (as opposed to just exposure) = you actually get to do interviews, physicals, history etc, really easy to get involved in research (at least for me), large focus on student wellness (tons of "free" time), global health program is cool, large academic hospital (lvl 1 trauma), largest hospital in central penn = you'll see lots of different stuff, admin listens to student concerns and are quick to implement changes.

I haven't taken boards yet, but there's mixed reviews. I personally would never rely only on the school to be preparing me for the boards. People go to great schools and do bad on boards, or "bad" schools and do great on boards. Its really individual. That being said, they don't teach straight out of first aid or teach just boards information. One change they made for my year is that we'll be taking step 1 after our third year. Apparently this works really well at others schools and peoples scores either go up or at least stay the same because of all the clinical application and experience you get from rotations. I guess we'll see what happens. DM me if you have any more specific questions.

Reactions: 7 users
What is the difference between the Hershey and the University Park program curriculums? Is it just a difference of location?

I haven't heard too many specifics. But I had a quick chat with the dean this week and there ARE definite differences. I wouldn't be worried about it though. They've had 3rd/4th years up there for a long time. It may be a better atmosphere for younger college students as opposed to Hershey which is much quieter, with significantly less night life. I think the facilities may be better at the Hershey campus (huge academic center, lvl 1 trauma etc) but don't quote me on that.

Reactions: 1 user
As I said above I'm an MSII here and really enjoyed my first year. If anyone has questions feel free to message me. As a disclaimer, I'm not on SDN super often but I'll do what I can.

As I said above I'm an MSII here and really enjoyed my first year. If anyone has questions feel free to message me. As a disclaimer, I'm not on SDN super often but I'll do what I can.

thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary! Does this university screen?

Reactions: 2 users
Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 75 words)

Explain why you decided to apply to Penn State College of Medicine. (Maximum 75 words)

Please write a short paragraph describing a significant experience you have had working in a team setting. (Maximum 250 words)

Briefly describe an experience where you had to navigate a complex system (e.g. personal experience, group activity, or development of a project) to achieve an end. Reflect on the qualities and attributes required by you to achieve success in this experience. (Maximum 250 words)

Here you go!

Reactions: 6 users
Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 75 words)

Explain why you decided to apply to Penn State College of Medicine. (Maximum 75 words)

Please write a short paragraph describing a significant experience you have had working in a team setting. (Maximum 250 words)

Briefly describe an experience where you had to navigate a complex system (e.g. personal experience, group activity, or development of a project) to achieve an end. Reflect on the qualities and attributes required by you to achieve success in this experience. (Maximum 250 words)

Here you go!
Dang, 75 and 250 word maximums? Gonna be hard to condense things

Dang, 75 and 250 word maximums? Gonna be hard to condense things

Yea I know right? Don't worry if you guys haven't received anything yet. There's an IT issue on the application, I'm unable to fill anything out. I called to report this, and they're in the middle of fixing it. Plus everyone gets a secondary.

Is this prompt a diversity prompt, or would you guys recommend I update them on publications?

Just got the secondary. Do you guys think it would be appropriate to update them on my authorship on a new publication in this prompt?

You guys have any idea what they are looking for on the first question?
  1. Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 75 words)

Edit: Woops nevermind. Can someone post the secondary essays?

is anyone else having an issue with submitting the app? like the button to check off the "I certify...." on the submit app page isn't working for some reason

is anyone else having an issue with submitting the app? like the button to check off the "I certify...." on the submit app page isn't working for some reason
I'm having the same issue.. I emailed them about it Thursday but haven't heard back yet

Submitted and complete. Good luck, everyone!