2017-2018 New York University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's waaaaaaay early in the cycle guys. Don't start panicking when a couple people start getting interviews. There's literally hundreds of potential interview spots left. Patience.

And yeah, NYU is pretty concerned with their ranking at the moment so they're trying to secure as many high stat applicants as early in the cycle as possible.

You think they're trying to do that to a greater degree than any comparable school would?

Members don't see this ad.

You think they're trying to do that to a greater degree than any comparable school would?
Yes, NYU's ranking has been rising recently and I could see them priding themselves on the rising medians (median 520 MCAT is pretty nuts)

Yeah. My friend goes to NYU rn and he tells me they're pissed about dropping from 11 to 12 this year. LOL. So I'd expect them to be even more stat whorey this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
II complete around 7/12

Reactions: 6 users
Did you just get the II or did you get it earlier today? I'm curious if schools send them out after business hours sometimes. I've only gotten one II so far and it came at about 8:30 am.
It was around 3 or 4 pm

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys - finished my secondary a few weeks ago; still waiting on my letters so I'm not complete.

I'm working on my tertiary for the three year MD program now. How are you guys answering the "please describe your motivation for pursuing XX residency" question? I feel like it's so similar to the "where do see your future medical career" question on the secondary. I talked about what I want to do pretty thoroughly on there, and I'm basically picking the residency I'm selecting because that's the precursor to the fellowship I want. Do you guys find this question redundant, too? Are you just repeating yourselves or did you manage to think of something different?

If you do feel like you'd just be repeating yourselves, are you actually doing it, or just writing 2-3 sentences of, "As I have mentioned elsewhere, I want to pursue XX residency because I want to be in XX fellowship" or what?

Hi guys - finished my secondary a few weeks ago; still waiting on my letters so I'm not complete.

I'm working on my tertiary for the three year MD program now. How are you guys answering the "please describe your motivation for pursuing XX residency" question? I feel like it's so similar to the "where do see your future medical career" question on the secondary. I talked about what I want to do pretty thoroughly on there, and I'm basically picking the residency I'm selecting because that's the precursor to the fellowship I want. Do you guys find this question redundant, too? Are you just repeating yourselves or did you manage to think of something different?

If you do feel like you'd just be repeating yourselves, are you actually doing it, or just writing 2-3 sentences of, "As I have mentioned elsewhere, I want to pursue XX residency because I want to be in XX fellowship" or what?
Maybe include why you wish to pursue that specific residency program, as opposed to others. Additionally, potentially state why your skill set makes you a good candidate for the given specialty, as most medical students find their residency by what they are exceptionally good at as told by clinical advisors, other residents, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Could an MSTP applicant get accepted to MD? I am sure that they have separate admissions committees, but could one get an II or acceptance from the MD?

Could an MSTP applicant get accepted to MD? I am sure that they have separate admissions committees, but could one get an II or acceptance from the MD?

I talked with the office and if you don't get one for MSTP, they will send your application to the MD committee

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What about after the MSTP interview?

I'll check the website when I get home, but the email I received didn't mention that. They are VERY nice at that office, so call or email if I can't find the answer!

II!!!! :) completely shocked!

II!! I'm pumped. I've always wanted to visit New York

Reactions: 2 users
Do people know if NYU is generally receptive toward "in the area" emails?

Hopefully you bring more to the table than high stats.

Discouraged now that my stats are definitely lower than what NYU seemed to want. Well, since I already paid my application, I'll just sit and wait, no longer holding my breath tho.

Discouraged now that my stats are definitely lower than what NYU seemed to want. Well, since I already paid my application, I'll just sit and wait, no longer holding my breath tho.
Stats?

My MCAT is good. But GPA is a problem, below their 25 percentile (according to MSAR).
According to previous posts, NYU is really looking for high stats, so I assume the average GPA this cycle will be higher than last cycle. Besides, I'm not URM.

My MCAT is good. But GPA is a problem, below their 25 percentile (according to MSAR).
According to previous posts, NYU is really looking for high stats, so I assume the average GPA this cycle will be higher than last cycle. Besides, I'm not URM.
If your post history is accurate and you do in fact have a LizzyM of 78, then I'd say you have nothing to worry about. Obviously having your hopes set on one school isn't the most promising or emotionally sound approach, but I'd say you have a pretty good shot at NYU and other top schools if that's what you're gunning for.

Reactions: 1 user
If your post history is accurate and you do in fact have a LizzyM of 78, then I'd say you have nothing to worry about. Obviously having your hopes set on one school isn't the most promising or emotionally sound approach, but I'd say you have a pretty good shot at NYU and other top schools if that's what you're gunning for.
Thanks! I really hope so. I learned from my previous cycle to keep my hope down and wait for the exciting surprises. I wish you all the best too!!:)

Can any current students/ those with interviews comment on the first prompt: What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU School of Medicine community?

Are they expecting us to discuss how we could carve out our niche at NYU or is this just a general diversity prompt?

Can any current students/ those with interviews comment on the first prompt: What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU School of Medicine community?

Are they expecting us to discuss how we could carve out our niche at NYU or is this just a general diversity prompt?

Did this one include qualities they were looking for? I think I wrote a completely new essay for this one based on the qualities they gave. I talked about owning a photography business, what I learned, and how that will contribute.

I expanded my diversity prompt to have specific connections to opportunities and challenges at NYU.

II today! complete 7/20

Reactions: 5 users
Is NYU trying to compete with WUSTL for the best stats? MSAR has their median MCAT at 520 and median GPA at 3.9. Holy smoke!

We are posting as the NYUSoM Ambassadors and will be monitoring this thread for questions/ comments/ concerns and anything that we can do to help make this process easier for you all!

Reply to this (so we get the little notification) if you have any questions and we'll do our best to answer them!

In terms of what NYU looks for it's the same as most medical schools - it's less about checking boxes and more about standing out in some way. We have people who did a lot of research and some community service, and people who did some research but a lot of community service.

A bit about the interview process and things unique to NYU:

MMI:

· Series of 8 interview stations consisting of timed interview scenarios.
· Scenarios may explore an applicant’s communication skills, ability to work as part of a team, problem solving capabilities, integrity, ethics and judgment. You will receive a prompt of the scenario or question you will address before entering the station. You will then have two minutes to gather your thoughts before you enter the room.

3-year MD:

· The Three-Year MD Degree Pathway provides an accelerated track for a select group of eligible students. All students graduating from the Three-Year MD Degree Pathway will participate in the Main Residency Match and will be offered acceptance into an NYU Langone Medical Center residency program of their choice at the time of admission.

· You can apply to the 3 year program either at the time of acceptance to NYU School of Medicine or during February of your first year.

· Deadlines: Applications for the Three-Year MD pathway are available through the applicant portal beginning July 1st at 12:00 AM EST. Important deadlines to be aware of are as follows: (1) tertiary application deadline is March 1st by 11:59 PM EST; (2) interviews with residency program directors will occur in late March through April; (3) decision letters are sent in April.

Of note:

· NYU has a group of current students that function as ambassadors and are available to help with questions/admissions process in general:
o Email: [email protected]

o Link for ambassador profiles in case you want to contact someone with specific interests: MD Student Ambassador Program | NYU Langone Health

· Dean Rivera will hold several Twitter chats where you have an opportunity to ask questions @RafaelRiveraMD

· Social media:
o IG: NYU School of Medicine (@nyuschoolofmed) • Instagram photos and videos
o Twitter: NYU School of Med (@nyuschoolofmed) | Twitter
o Facebook: NYU School of Medicine

Reactions: 13 users
We are posting as the NYUSoM Ambassadors and will be monitoring this thread for questions/ comments/ concerns and anything that we can do to help make this process easier for you all!

Reply to this (so we get the little notification) if you have any questions and we'll do our best to answer them!

In terms of what NYU looks for it's the same as most medical schools - it's less about checking boxes and more about standing out in some way. We have people who did a lot of research and some community service, and people who did some research but a lot of community service.

MMI:

· Scenarios may explore an applicant’s communication skills, ability to work as part of a team, problem solving capabilities, integrity, ethics and judgment. You will receive a prompt of the scenario or question you will address before entering the station. You will then have two minutes to gather your thoughts before you enter the room.

3-year MD:

· The Three-Year MD Degree Pathway provides an accelerated track for a select group of eligible students. All students graduating from the Three-Year MD Degree Pathway will participate in the Main Residency Match and will be offered acceptance into an NYU Langone Medical Center residency program of their choice at the time of admission.

· You can apply to the 3 year program either at the time of acceptance to NYU School of Medicine or during February of your first year.

· Deadlines: Applications for the Three-Year MD pathway are available through the applicant portal beginning July 1st at 12:00 AM EST. Important deadlines to be aware of are as follows: (1) tertiary application deadline is March 1st by 11:59 PM EST; (2) interviews with residency program directors will occur in late March through April; (3) decision letters are sent in April.

Of note:

· NYU has a group of current students that function as ambassadors and are available to help with questions/admissions process in general:

o Link for ambassador profiles in case you want to contact someone with specific interests: MD Student Ambassador Program | NYU Langone Health

· Dean Rivera will hold several Twitter chats where you have an opportunity to ask questions @RafaelRiveraMD

· Social media:

Hello, for this question on the secondary application (where do you see your future medical career (academic medicine, research, public health, primary care, business/law, etc.) and why?) , in general, how detailed should the response be? Are you looking for specific organizations or causes we plan to become involved with during our medical career?

MMI:

3-year MD:

Of note:

· Social media:

Thanks for doing this! On the MMI, you said we have 2 minutes outside the room, but how long do we spend in the room at each station? Also, are the MMI stations mostly role-playing stations or discussion stations? Lastly, are there MMI stations directly on ethics and current events in healthcare?

MMI:

3-year MD:

Of note:

· Social media:
Thank you for opening it up for questions/comments/concerns! How many interview invitations are left? If your application was complete early July and you haven't heard any news from NYU yet, does that mean you are no longer being considered for an interview?

Lol exactly same as above! II this morning, complete 7/21, 522 MCAT and ~3.8 GPA

Reactions: 3 users
II!!!! Complete 8/3! :soexcited:

Reactions: 2 users
Did everyone who got an II this morning get it around the same time (looks like between 8 AM - 9 AM)? Just trying to assess how obsessively I should be refreshing my email ;)

Did everyone who got an II this morning get it around the same time (looks like between 8 AM - 9 AM)? Just trying to assess how obsessively I should be refreshing my email ;)
Yes for me!!!:) But please don't obsess over these things!!