2017-2018 New York University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If applicable, please comment on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere on your application.

If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so.

The following questions are designed to assess ways in which you embody our institution’s core values. Please limit each answer to a maximum of 2500 characters.

The Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach to evaluate a wide range of student qualities and life experiences that are complementary to demonstrated academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills and leadership potential. What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU School of Medicine community?

The ultimate goal of our institution is to produce a population of physicians with a collective desire to improve health of all segments of our society through the outstanding patient care, research and education. In this context, where do you see your future medical career (academic medicine, research, public health, primary care, business/law, etc.) and why? Your answer need not be restricted to one category. If your plans require that you complete a dual degree program, please elaborate here.

Please answer only one of the following three questions:

1. The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is this important to you?
  2. Conflicts arise daily from differences in perspectives, priorities, worldviews and traditions. How do you define respect? Describe a situation in which you found it challenging to remain respectful while facing differences?
  3. Describe a situation in which working with a colleague, family member or friend has been challenging. How did you resolve, if at all, the situation as a team and what did you gain from the experience that will benefit you as a future health care provider?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck everyone! Aaron Rodgers will be following this thread and hoping to move out of Green Bay and come to NYC!

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received!

@WedgeDawg @Ismet @Lucca @gyngyn

If applicable, please comment on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere on your application.

If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so.

The following questions are designed to assess ways in which you embody our institution’s core values. Please limit each answer to a maximum of 2500 characters.

The Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach to evaluate a wide range of student qualities and life experiences that are complementary to demonstrated academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills and leadership potential. What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU School of Medicine community?

The ultimate goal of our institution is to produce a population of physicians with a collective desire to improve health of all segments of our society through the outstanding patient care, research and education. In this context, where do you see your future medical career (academic medicine, research, public health, primary care, business/law, etc.) and why? Your answer need not be restricted to one category. If your plans require that you complete a dual degree program, please elaborate here.

Please answer only one of the following three questions:

1. The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is this important to you?
  2. Conflicts arise daily from differences in perspectives, priorities, worldviews and traditions. How do you define respect? Describe a situation in which you found it challenging to remain respectful while facing differences?
  3. Describe a situation in which working with a colleague, family member or friend has been challenging. How did you resolve, if at all, the situation as a team and what did you gain from the experience that will benefit you as a future health care provider?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The email says "DO NOT COPY AND PASTE ANY ESSAYS ONTO THE APPLICATION."
So we have to retype them all into the app?

The email says "DO NOT COPY AND PASTE ANY ESSAYS ONTO THE APPLICATION."
So we have to retype them all into the app?
The all-caps seemed pretty emphatic... I sincerely hope re-typing them all isn't the only option

On MSAR, on the section about NYU's curriculum, they say the following: "NYU School of Medicine now offers a new accelerated three-year Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree."

Surely, this isn't the only tract, right? That is, I don't want to rush. Does NYU still offer a more "traditional" curriculum?

On MSAR, on the section about NYU's curriculum, they say the following: "NYU School of Medicine now offers a new accelerated three-year Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree."

Surely, this isn't the only tract, right? That is, I don't want to rush. Does NYU still offer a more "traditional" curriculum?
Nope, simply another option. When you get the secondary, you fill out the normal 4-year degree option. Then, if you're interested in the three-year, there's an optional tertiary application included.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone else having trouble loading the secondary page? It was working perfectly fine yesterday but it would not load now for some reason.

Is anyone else having trouble loading the secondary page? It was working perfectly fine yesterday but it would not load now for some reason.
Yeah, I'm having the same problem. I'm sure there's a bug in their system somewhere. It's strange because a lot of my secondaries also use the same Zap service, but the rest of them are working fine. Not sure what's happening..

Yeah, I'm having the same problem. I'm sure there's a bug in their system somewhere. It's strange because a lot of my secondaries also use the same Zap service, but the rest of them are working fine. Not sure what's happening..
Good to know! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am still having trouble loading the secondary page. Has it worked for anyone today?

I am still having trouble loading the secondary page. Has it worked for anyone today?
Received this message

atNYULMC, Dashboards, and MCIT: Support & Services are temporarily unavailable because we're working to make them even better for the NYU Langone community!

For access to applications, please use the catalog below. To contact the MCIT Help Desk, please call 212-263-6868. We apologize for any inconvenience, and thank you for your cooperation!

Server is back up again! Can we really not copy and paste??!

EDIT: Read a past post and seems like we can copy and paste because I am not about to sit down and retype all that info... Submitted! Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Server is back up again! Can we really not copy and paste??!

EDIT: Read a past post and seems like we can copy and paste because I am not about to sit down and retype all that info... Submitted! Good luck everyone!

I'm definitely copying and "pasting as plain text." Hope this doesn't sink me, lol!

Receipt of completion this morning, good luck everyone! We will be soon notified when "final action has been taken" (per completion email) ... welp!

How do they feel about community college credits? Writing, psych, soc, and art?

Quick question.

"3) The Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach to evaluate a wide range of student qualities and life experiences that are complementary to demonstrated academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills and leadership potential.

What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU School of Medicine community?"

How did you guys answer this question? The word specific in there is making me think I should refer to very specific programs/resources they have to align it with my own diversity contributions?

Numbers wise, is a 3.9/515 worth an application here?

Does anyone know if they'll let people change their secondary after it's submitted? I submitted the wrong essay and if I don't change it, my app is probably getting tossed :( Is there anything I can do?

Does anyone know if they'll let people change their secondary after it's submitted? I submitted the wrong essay and if I don't change it, my app is probably getting tossed :( Is there anything I can do?
I would call the admissions office.

I submitted the wrong essay to NYU and they said I can't change the secondary and can only send an update. Should I send an update to explain that I simply messed up the names with another school or should I just let it go?

II by email! They give you a calendar to schedule a date

Reactions: 10 users
II! I'm in absolute shock. Complete 7/6/17. Does anyone know if NYU is rolling admissions?

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to those with II! Mind to share your stats for us hopeful people?:p

Y'all with II's are the real heroes

Complete 7/19 and deafening silence here

Shameless II Tracker Plug:

I'm trying to compile data on this cycle's interview invites, if anyone of you recent II recipients wants to contribute - fill in this form: Share your Interview Invite! . Also check out the running data here: Interview Invite Tracker

Congrats to those with II! Mind to share your stats for us hopeful people?:p
Thank you! GPA 3.99, MCAT 524, traditional MD applicant here. I was complete at NYU on July 7.

Looking forward to hopefully meeting some of the awesome people from here at interviews! With the small number of dates released so far at some places, it starts to feel more likely...

II as well! (MCAT: 519, GPA: 4.0). I know Cornell states to send them an email if you will already be in the New York area to see if they'd like to extend an II, does anyone know of other schools in NYC that offer the option?

Reactions: 5 users
II as well! (MCAT: 519, GPA: 4.0). I know Cornell states to send them an email if you will already be in the New York area to see if they'd like to extend an II, does anyone know of other schools in NYC that offer the option?

When was your application completed if you don't mind me asking? Thanks

Interested in this too. From last year's thread, it looks like Columbia is also receptive

Does NYU prefer high stat applicants? (are they stat-******)

*sigh* well I thought my MCAT was good enough for higher ranked schools, guess maybe the case 7 years ago

Did you calculate your LizzyM wrong? At a minimum you would have a 519 with a lizzyM of 77 (4.0 + 519) and it would only be higher if your GPA was not perfect. For top schools their lizzyM's are around 73-75 medians.

Did you calculate your LizzyM wrong? At a minimum you would have a 519 with a lizzyM of 77 (4.0 + 519) and it would only be higher if your GPA was not perfect. For top schools their lizzyM's are around 73-75 medians.
No that is what I received. I guess its just discouraging mainly seeing mostly MCAT 520< right now getting call backs from schools. Especially at Pritzker

No that is what I received. I guess its just discouraging mainly seeing mostly MCAT 520< right now getting call backs from schools. Especially at Pritzker

Its very early. They try to recruit those with crazy high stats, and that is just part of the game, nothing we can do about it. You already have two II's and will probably end up at a fantastic school, as there are like 8 months or more left in this cycle for things to happen.

Its very early. They try to recruit those with crazy high stats, and that is just part of the game, nothing we can do about it. You already have two II's and will probably end up at a fantastic school, as there are like 8 months or more left in this cycle for things to happen.
Thank you for the encouragement! I really appreciate it, best of luck to you and everyone else!

It's waaaaaaay early in the cycle guys. Don't start panicking when a couple people start getting interviews. There's literally hundreds of potential interview spots left. Patience.

And yeah, NYU is pretty concerned with their ranking at the moment so they're trying to secure as many high stat applicants as early in the cycle as possible.