2017-2018 Harvard Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If i have yet to receive an II, is it game over?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your source for this?
Just a guess. They started with interviews in Late August and end interviews in Mid-End of January. Dates right now are in Mid December - Early January. So they're probably at 10-20% interviews left.

Harvard’s website says IIs will be extended until mid-January - does anyone know if they are extending interviews for HST that long? I highly doubt I will get an interview, but I would have to retake Linear Algebra to matriculate. I’d rather not waste my money or time taking it, so it would be nice to know when there’s no longer a chance of receiving an II for HST. Murphy’s law and all that...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Harvard’s website says IIs will be extended until mid-January - does anyone know if they are extending interviews for HST that long? I highly doubt I will get an interview, but I would have to retake Linear Algebra to matriculate. I’d rather not waste my money or time taking it, so it would be nice to know when there’s no longer a chance of receiving an II for HST. Murphy’s law and all that...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Dear @DBC03 ,
what is your LM score? :) Hopefully, you'll get some good news, soon!

Dear @DBC03 ,
what is your LM score? :) Hopefully, you'll get some good news, soon!

LizzyM is okay - around 73-74. I just have a really low GPA (less than a 3.5). Our last day to cancel classes is close to mid-January, so I’m hoping I’ll know something before that day - Thanks!

EDIT: I’d be totally cool with just a Pathways II instead of HST. But I applied to both so I’ll have to wait!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Just a guess. They started with interviews in Late August and end interviews in Mid-End of January. Dates right now are in Mid December - Early January. So they're probably at 10-20% interviews left.
Interviews actually began mid-September (source Timeline)

Last edited:
First interview date is mid-september. If you check back on the thread, first invites went out mid august.
My mistake, since you said, "they started with interviews in late August," I figured you meant started interviewing rather than when they start sending invitations.

Pathways II.. This is the very last school I expected to hear from, especially since a few of my "reach" schools have rejected me in the past week. Complete mid-August. Lizzy M 73.
same :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
this can't be real... II to the pathways program. But like... this makes no sense--I'm getting a serious case of the imposter syndrome. 515/3.9, with research experience, but no pubs and I come from a freakin' STATE school. guys....

Reactions: 19 users
this can't be real... II to the pathways program. But like... this makes no sense--I'm getting a serious case of the imposter syndrome. 515/3.9, with research experience, but no pubs and I come from a freakin' STATE school. guys....

Keep it real and slay that interview. Show them what you’ve got :)

Reactions: 4 users

Congrats!! Mind sharing when you were complete?

This is awesome! How exciting!

II just now! This cycle is such a crapshoot...

LizzyM 74 and complete early August. Also went to a state school!

Reactions: 11 users
II just now! This cycle is such a crapshoot...

LizzyM 74 and complete early August. Also went to a state school!

Are the only remaining dates around the end of January? The very last day for interviews is January 23, so if that is one of the dates, it would be helpful to know that this is probably the last batch of interviews going out. Thanks!

I’d love to know some exact dates on when they will stop sending IIs - whether or not I need to retake linear algebra will depend on this. I’m assuming I will not get an interview, but Murphy’s Law pretty much means I’ll get one after the drop/add period at school ends.

I’d love to know some exact dates on when they will stop sending IIs - whether or not I need to retake linear algebra will depend on this. I’m assuming I will not get an interview, but Murphy’s Law pretty much means I’ll get one after the drop/add period at school ends.

+1 but with stats :/

II!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! complete mid august. HARVAAAAHHHD

Reactions: 11 users
Are the only remaining dates around the end of January? The very last day for interviews is January 23, so if that is one of the dates, it would be helpful to know that this is probably the last batch of interviews going out. Thanks!

Mine is Jan 6!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats, and don't play down your stats...they always put you in with a decent enough shout for Harvard, and they surely saw something beyond that (e.g. noteworthy ECs) that really piqued their interest, so well done! Very best of luck on your interview. What I'd give to be in your position right now

Reactions: 5 users

The last date I saw available was January 15th. So I think they might have one more batch to go!

Reactions: 1 users
The last date I saw available was January 15th. So I think they might have one more batch to go!

so we're in the final stretch, here's hoping :)

***Aggressively refreshes e-mail and application portal every 2 minutes***

Reactions: 9 users
II this morning!! What a dream! Complete late august LM~74

Reactions: 10 users
Did anyone have a discussion about course requirements at the interviews? Like confirming that you could use AP scores or alternatives to traditional courses. If so, how did this work and was it at all stressful?

Did anyone have a discussion about course requirements at the interviews? Like confirming that you could use AP scores or alternatives to traditional courses. If so, how did this work and was it at all stressful?
For the interview you have to fill out a sheet indicating how you fulfilled the course requirements. They allow you to use AP courses to fulfill them, except the writing requirement. You just have to make sure you send your scores to them, since I believe you need to have scored a 4 or 5.

Hopefully, if you get an II for Pathways they will let you know one way or the other for HST. I was invited for Pathways and received an e-mail the same day basically telling me I was rejected for HST.

For the interview you have to fill out a sheet indicating how you fulfilled the course requirements. They allow you to use AP courses to fulfill them, except the writing requirement. You just have to make sure you send your scores to them, since I believe you need to have scored a 4 or 5.

Exactly, I am looking at this form and am not 100% sure my courses will work. I am in a similar boat to others worrying about needing to take a class this spring. Did you or anyone else speak to admissions staff about course requirements on the interview day? If so I am curious how that conversation went.

Exactly, I am looking at this form and am not 100% sure my courses will work. I am in a similar boat to others worrying about needing to take a class this spring. Did you or anyone else speak to admissions staff about course requirements on the interview day? If so I am curious how that conversation went.
It wasn't really brought up or emphasized at all. What requirement are you worried about not fulfilling? I remember there being a little ambiguity about the lab course requirements (i.e. 1 year of X with lab without specifying if it needs to be a full year of lab or not).

It wasn't really brought up or emphasized at all. What requirement are you worried about not fulfilling? I remember there being a little ambiguity about the lab course requirements (i.e. 1 year of X with lab without specifying if it needs to be a full year of lab or not).

I'll message you - don't want to derail the thread from II news!

There is a note on the form that says to talk to a staff member if you have concerns / questions, and I am debating whether to do so at some point in the interview day. Wondering if anyone else spoke to the staff about courses when they interviewed. I'd love to get my question answered once and for all instead of wondering about taking a class in the spring!

International, non-Canadian citizen here with an II here (I have 3 others). I did attend a US undergrad though. According to MSAR, 16 international students (including DACA) matriculated at Harvard last year.
Hi! Could you, please, share your stats if possible?

Ahh II this morning also!! Still in shock. Complete late July/early August. Was wishing hard for this one after the R from Hopkins yesterday

Reactions: 5 users
Ahh II this morning also!! Still in shock. Complete late July/early August. Was wishing hard for this one after the R from Hopkins yesterday

i also was rejected by Hopkins and have an interview at Harvard. I really can't figure this how thing out

i also was rejected by Hopkins and have an interview at Harvard. I really can't figure this how thing out

Same. There really seems to be no rhyme or reason to this process.

Same. There really seems to be no rhyme or reason to this process.

This application process doesn’t lack rhyme or reason just because you got an interview at Harvard and not at Hopkins. Remember, none of us are entitled to any interviews.

Reactions: 3 users
This application process doesn’t lack rhyme or reason just because you got an interview at Harvard and not at Hopkins. Remember, none of us are entitled to any interviews.

I don't believe I am entitled to any interviews. I expected the Hopkins rejection and was quite surprised by the Harvard II.

Reactions: 7 users

pretty sure no one said anything about being "entitled" to any interviews. I think what we both were saying was after getting rejected by Hopkins that it was a shock to get an interview from Harvard.

Reactions: 15 users
Does anyone know if interviewing late puts you at a disadvantage or does Harvard treat all interview days equally? Just trying to gauge my expectations...

I submitted my secondary in November. Does Harvard only send out interviews until January? I don't know if they have gotten to my app yet.

I submitted my secondary in November. Does Harvard only send out interviews until January? I don't know if they have gotten to my app yet.
I thought the deadline for submitting Harvard's secondary was October 23rd?