2017-2018 Eastern Virginia Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an II! LM of about 70, IS, complete early July. So excited to interview here, I love EVMS!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
II Today!!!! Technically OOS, but petitioning for IS. Too excited!!!

Reactions: 2 users
What would you say is the greatest draw to EVMS? I havent heard a lot about the school so pretty curious
I'd like to second this for any current students willing to share. Or even what is your most and least favorite thing about it? I got an II here and I'm local to the area so I know it's beautiful! And has the children's and Sentara hospitals across the street, but aside from what's on the website, that's really all I know.

I remember feeling like I ran into the chillest students on my interview day at EVMS, and I can confirm that my class is super laid-back and collaborative and overall gets along pretty well. The school really values having a well-rounded student body and they definitely succeed at creating one- so that's probably my favorite part of EVMS, to be honest.

Other noteworthy positives are the ultrasound curriculum, the very active student-run free clinic (HOPES), the huge emphasis on service, and the highest average STEP 1 scores in the state. We also pioneered the use of standardized patients, which is cool.

Least favorite thing... is being the guinea pig of the new curriculum. Faculty have been fairly responsive to our complaints and suggestions, at least, and by the time you guys enter it'll be much improved.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I remember feeling like I ran into the chillest students on my interview day at EVMS, and I can confirm that my class is super laid-back and collaborative and overall gets along pretty well. The school really values having a well-rounded student body and they definitely succeed at creating one- so that's probably my favorite part of EVMS, to be honest.

Other noteworthy positives are the ultrasound curriculum, the very active student-run free clinic (HOPES), the huge emphasis on service, and the highest average STEP 1 scores in the state. We also pioneered the use of standardized patients, which is cool.

Least favorite thing... is being the guinea pig of the new curriculum. Faculty have been fairly responsive to our complaints and suggestions, at least, and by the time you guys enter it'll be much improved.
Thanks!! I didn't know that about STEP 1 scores. How long do you get to study for it? Some schools are 2 months, others 3 or 4. Some don't break at all, but you take it during the summer break. Haven't been able to find a broken down yearly curriculum on the EVMS site but maybe not looking hard enough lol.

Thanks!! I didn't know that about STEP 1 scores. How long do you get to study for it? Some schools are 2 months, others 3 or 4. Some don't break at all, but you take it during the summer break. Haven't been able to find a broken down yearly curriculum on the EVMS site but maybe not looking hard enough lol.

Yeah, it's not easily accessible information! We take our finals mid-April and can choose to take STEP anytime between then and when we start clinical rotations (last week of June). So how much dedicated time you have to study is ultimately up to you. Most tend to take it the first week of June culminating in about 6 weeks of dedicated and leaving about 3 weeks of break before we start third year.

It doesn't seem like a lot of dedicated time, but keep in mind that almost all of our exams are already entirely composed of retired board questions, so we're technically in the STEP mindset starting day 1.

Reactions: 4 users
Ahh @mcatjelly beat me to it so piggybacking off her response, you will also be required to meet with the academic advisers before the dedicated period happens in which you will discuss your Step1 score goals as well as submit a study schedule to lay out how you will study for Step, and that schedule will either be approved or asked to modify. Our academic advisers go great lengths to make sure everyone is well prepared for Step and we had a 100% pass rate in 2015 and 2016 and a near 100% pass rate (with the exception of one person) this past year.

Reactions: 5 users
Ahh @mcatjelly beat me to it so piggybacking off her response, you will also be required to meet with the academic advisers before the dedicated period happens in which you will discuss your Step1 score goals as well as submit a study schedule to lay out how you will study for Step, and that schedule will either be approved or asked to modify. Our academic advisers go great lengths to make sure everyone is well prepared for Step and we had a 100% pass rate in 2015 and 2016 and a near 100% pass rate (with the exception of one person) this past year.
Thanks @mcatjelly and @rukia013 for the info. Very helpful!!

On AMCAS, I checkmarked "Combined Degree" and selected MPH, since I'd love to pursue that track over here. However, can someone inform me if I have to submit a separate MPH application in addition to my primary and secondary? Or will I be automatically considered for it?

You do not have to submit a separate MPH application. I applied for MD/MPH last year and EVMS didn't require anything else from me.

So I am from Norfolk and have been to EVMS plenty while living in Norfolk so i am not concerned about the campus or the tours part of the interview but I was curious if anyone who has already interviewed could speak on the actual interview portion of the visit AND what information about curriculum and that sort of thing you get on interview day? I think its a panel interview if I recall correctly but if anyone could shed light on that Id appreciate it. I had to push my interview date back until the end of September but I know there has already been a few interview dates. Thanks!

So I am from Norfolk and have been to EVMS plenty while living in Norfolk so i am not concerned about the campus or the tours part of the interview but I was curious if anyone who has already interviewed could speak on the actual interview portion of the visit AND what information about curriculum and that sort of thing you get on interview day? I think its a panel interview if I recall correctly but if anyone could shed light on that Id appreciate it. I had to push my interview date back until the end of September but I know there has already been a few interview dates. Thanks!

Interviewed here last cycle. It's definitely panel style with 2-3 interviewers. I had one physician (who had my file on hand), one PhD, and one med student. Seems intimidating, but it was actually like a nice group conversation. You get plenty of info on the curriculum and financial aid from staff and students on interview day, and you can find a good amount of info online.

Last edited:

To add on to what the other user has said, if you're curious about the curriculum I would definitely make that a question you ask the med student during your interview. We're also a pretty friendly class so if you're feeling bold you could go up to a current student and ask their thoughts.

Reactions: 1 user
x

Last edited:

M1 here.

Just to add onto what others said:

-Interview format is a panel interview. I believe the average panel is one physician, one non-physician faculty, and one medical student. It seems much more intimidating than it really is (out of all my interviews it was probably the most relaxed). Just know your own application and you should be good to go.

-I don't exactly remember what they told us about the curriculum on interview day but it's basically systems format with an integrated service learning component to it (we choose a service learning project and work with that project during our time at the school).

If you want more specifics feel free to ask whatever questions you'd like.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am wondering how soon after the interview to expect receiving an admissions decision.

Hey guys, I just called EVMS and they told me that an OOS minimum mcat is 508. Has anyone submitted lower than that and not been pre-screened? I am thinking of whether to apply with 507. Thanks!

Hey guys, I just called EVMS and they told me that an OOS minimum mcat is 508. Has anyone submitted lower than that and not been pre-screened? I am thinking of whether to apply with 507. Thanks!
I submitted lower than that and got an interview but I am URM

Do they screen pre or post secondary? I got a secondary with a 507.

Do they screen pre or post secondary? I got a secondary with a 507.
She told me pre-secondary. It really confused me. It seems high to pre-screen at 508!
Maybe I should take my chances and apply or maybe talk to someone else.

I applied with a GPA of 3.8 OOS and a 507 and I still have not heard anything. I've been complete since July 11

Yes. URM as well.

Also, has anyone here gone to the campus yet? Am I right in assuming this is a very service based school?

Hey I'm a graduate student at EVMS. The school does a lot of community service projects, but it isn't military service oriented (if that's what you're wondering). There's a huge military population surrounding it and they are supportive of the military, but you don't see a bunch of people in uniform all day. Does that answer your question?

Hey I'm a graduate student at EVMS. The school does a lot of community service projects, but it isn't military service oriented (if that's what you're wondering). There's a huge military population surrounding it and they are supportive of the military, but you don't see a bunch of people in uniform all day. Does that answer your question?

I think they meant community service-based, if I'm not mistaken. If so, then yes it's one of the more service-based schools in the country. Their mission is to be the most community-oriented school in the country.

Do they allow for updates? I want to update with a new non clinical volunteering role I started revolving around teaching/mentoring as that's what is on the lower side (in terms of hours) on my app

She told me pre-secondary. It really confused me. It seems high to pre-screen at 508!
Maybe I should take my chances and apply or maybe talk to someone else.
From what I understand, the targets sometimes move higher as the cycle ages. Dean Mission was mentioning this about VCU, their app score required to receive an interview invite changes as the cycle progresses. This is an assumption about EVMS on my part so do with it as you see fit.

I know someone had asked about sending school updates here and the "upload document" page was suggested. However, I found that the only 2 designations there are photo and in-state document. An update is neither of those. Does that mean EVMS is not receptive to updates?

Does anyone know what time the interviews will be over? I have the interview at 2pm and want to see what time I should schedule my flight at.

Does anyone know what time the interviews will be over? I have the interview at 2pm and want to see what time I should schedule my flight at.

You'll be done between 2:30 - 2:45. It takes about 20 minutes to get to the airport from campus. Norfolk's airport is pretty small. I think it took me 5-10 min to get through security, so you shouldn't have to book too late of a flight. My flight left around 6 pm and I had plenty of time to hang at the terminal.

You'll be done between 2:30 - 2:45. It takes about 20 minutes to get to the airport from campus. Norfolk's airport is pretty small. I think it took me 5-10 min to get through security, so you shouldn't have to book too late of a flight. My flight left around 6 pm and I had plenty of time to hang at the terminal.

Thanks for your help!

Just got an II! This should be cool since I've never been to the East Coast save for a layover in Baltimore while traveling to the Middle East once.

Just got an II! This should be cool since I've never been to the East Coast save for a layover in Baltimore while traveling to the Middle East once.
Congrats!! Thats awesome!! When were you complete?

Anyone know how far out from the interview date they send a confirmation email? Waiting to book a flight back home but don't know when I'm scheduled to interview.

Anyone know how far out from the interview date they send a confirmation email? Waiting to book a flight back home but don't know when I'm scheduled to interview.

They send a reminder email 7 days before your interview date. As for the interview time, they let me know when I originally called to schedule. They also let you know the day of the interview what time you actually interview. The latest interview time is 3:30 pm (which means you'll probably be out no later than 4:30).

They send a reminder email 7 days before your interview date. As for the interview time, they let me know when I originally called to schedule. They also let you know the day of the interview what time you actually interview. The latest interview time is 3:30 pm (which means you'll probably be out no later than 4:30).

Thank you! That helps a lot.

I'm scheduled to interview in 4 weeks, but unfortunately my work life has just gone bonkers. It looks like I really need to be at work on the interview date, does anyone know how difficult it is to reschedule (if at all possible)?

Absolutely don't want to lose the chance to interview here; if they're very stringent on no rescheduling then I'll just have to roll the dice with taking off from work.

I'm scheduled to interview in 4 weeks, but unfortunately my work life has just gone bonkers. It looks like I really need to be at work on the interview date, does anyone know how difficult it is to reschedule (if at all possible)?

Absolutely don't want to lose the chance to interview here; if they're very stringent on no rescheduling then I'll just have to roll the dice with taking off from work.

They have a no rescheduling policy. It wouldn't hurt to still try and see if they might make an exception. All best with trying to make your interview date work!

I do not know what exactly the situation is at work, but interviewing, IMO, would take priority over work. Here is my reasoning: 1) I do not think they allow rescheduling (you can always ask/tell them your angle; you might be an exception). 2) Medical school/being a doctor is what you want to do. I know you need a job to support yourself, but taking the next significant step in your life goals is important too.

When I scheduled my interview the lady asked me if I am sure about that date because they don't reschedule...

II !! First one!

Complete early August, LM 70-72.

Last edited:

I agree with the other three posters. You're hoping for an acceptance which means you're hoping to only have this job for another 8 months or so max! The interview day would be the solid priority. They mention several times that they don't reschedule so best not to push it IMO.

Y'all are right. Long term goals take priority. Going to make this interview date work somehow :horns:

Reactions: 5 users
Sorry to double-post, but I never got an answer: is there a way to send post-secondary updates?

Sorry to double-post, but I never got an answer: is there a way to send post-secondary updates?

I checked the old thread and someone said they sent it to the email we got the secondary from. It just took like 2 weeks or something for them to confirm it was added

Has anyone interviewed here? If so how was the interview?? Like was mostly based on your secondaries? or did they take a look at your primary as well? And were questions such as why medicine, Why here? asked as well?

Thanks