2017-2018 Baylor College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How many more weeks can we say this?
Maybe I am a little dense but I just don't understand who this utter lack of communication is good for anyone? If we are on a waitlist, just TELL US poor OOS-ers.
Baylor does not invite students to a WL until after April 30. If you have not been declined, you are still being considered as a candidate.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Baylor does not invite students to a WL until after April 30. If you have not been declined, you are still being considered as a candidate.
Isn't it true that the list is already ranked? Even though people closer to the 310-340 mark on the waitlist are up in the air, they could still safely waitlist the bottom half of the interview pool.
And for that matter, this whole process could be expedited if they just sent out emails instead of calling (supposedly) a handful of people once or twice a month.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they have their reasons. I just wish that people could know where they stood, especially since the rank has already been determined and our fates are already sealed.

Reactions: 3 users
Isn't it true that the list is already ranked? Even though people closer to the 310-340 mark on the waitlist are up in the air, they could still safely waitlist the bottom half of the interview pool.
And for that matter, this whole process could be expedited if they just sent out emails instead of calling (supposedly) a handful of people once or twice a month.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they have their reasons. I just wish that people could know where they stood, especially since the rank has already been determined and our fates are already sealed.
Very well said.

Members don't see this ad :)
But what is supirising is that there were no IS acceptances sent out this month either. I thought March was THE month for movement. Last year’s thread had movement around the middle or March and then mid April. What is going on...

Reactions: 2 users
The admissions process makes no sense. I don’t understand the logic. What is really exhausting is the fact that no communication takes place. The admission process is drug out and complex, but no communication just leads to paranoia and false hope. It’s utterly draining

According to the AAMC guidelines, schools need to accept at least the number of students equal to the size of the incoming class by March 15.

So can we assume the 186 initial acceptances have been given out, and that future acceptances will occur at the rate at which accepted students decline their offers?

Reactions: 1 users
According to the AAMC guidelines, schools need to accept at least the number of students equal to the size of the incoming class by March 15.

So can we assume the 186 initial acceptances have been given out, and that future acceptances will occur at the rate at which accepted students decline their offers?

I have a theory (If you feel comfortable accepting a theory from someone who has been proven wrong over and over). I think they will let multiple people decline and then send out a batch of acceptances. I think our best chances of seeing some serious movement are going to be around second look weekend.

I have a theory (If you feel comfortable accepting a theory from someone who has been proven wrong over and over). I think they will let multiple people decline and then send out a batch of acceptances. I think our best chances of seeing some serious movement are going to be around second look weekend.
I tend to agree, as April 30th approaches, chances of movement are better.

It does seem like acceptances tend to go out right after second look, going off of previous threads. Would have been nice to get accepted prior if I’m accepted at all (not that it would change my mind; if Baylor accepts me I’ll say yes in a heartbeat.)

But what is supirising is that there were no IS acceptances sent out this month either. I thought March was THE month for movement. Last year’s thread had movement around the middle or March and then mid April. What is going on...

I was accepted IS on March 7th.

A Houston telemarketer called me on a Tuesday in March...oof

Members don't see this ad :)
Well looks like they did hand out some acceptances yesterday. I saw 5 new additions to the Facebook group in the last 24 hours.

Well looks like they did hand out some acceptances yesterday. I saw 5 new additions to the Facebook group in the last 24 hours.
I guess that makes sense. Time to wait for after second look for some movement then...

Hi [Lusheeta],
Is there a phone number I could possibly reach you at?
All the best.
GetFileAttachment

GUYS DOES THIS MEAN IM GETTING A CALL FROM THEM

Reactions: 4 users
Not usually one for the optimistic post, but I really do think there are still over 100 acceptances left (including many OOS). While it would have been great to get in in November or December or anytime before now I still think there is still a lot of time, so we all need to hang tight and hope for the best.

Hi [Lusheeta],
All the best.
GetFileAttachment

WOW!! SOUNDS LIKE IT!!! KEEP US UPDATED!

Hi [Lusheeta],
All the best.
GetFileAttachment

He's probably calling to tell you how nice the weather is in Houston this time of year :laugh:

You should call back ASAP!!!

I HAVE A MISSED CALL FROM BAYLOR COLLEGE OF MEDICINE

Reactions: 3 users
Not usually one for the optimistic post, but I really do think there are still over 100 acceptances left (including many OOS). While it would have been great to get in in November or December or anytime before now I still think there is still a lot of time, so we all need to hang tight and hope for the best.
I wish this was true but I don't think it possibly can be. It's March 21st. Their second look is in what? 2 weeks? I'm sure there are some left but probably not 100. Well at least @Lusheeta got in from our group.

I wish this was true but I don't think it possibly can be. It's March 21st. Their second look is in what? 2 weeks? I'm sure there are some left but probably not 100. Well at least @Lusheeta got in from our group.
Baylor typically accepts a little over 300. There are probably few acceptance left right now but many people will drop. I think that is what #thriving is referring to!

Baylor typically accepts a little over 300. There are probably few acceptance left right now but many people will drop. I think that is what #thriving is referring to!
Exactly! Before second look, yeah there's probably not a lot left but there are going to be a decent number of openings in the next month.

Exactly! Before second look, yeah there's probably not a lot left but there are going to be a decent number of openings in the next month.
Ah ok. Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you meant 100 spots left that would actually hear sometime soon. So 100 may mean 15 for OOS. That's so few. Also as an OOS-er it would have been nice to be able to attend 2nd look. I don't really know anything about Texans. And finally, why exactly does a private school like Baylor consider residency so strongly?

Just got off the call, it's official!!

For anyone interested, OOS, Interviewed Feb 2, LizzyM 73.6 (3.76, 518).

Don't lose hope, because I almost did! I hope you guys all will get the call and feel like I do right now! <3

Reactions: 15 users

Don't lose hope, because I almost did! I hope you guys all will get the call and feel like I do right now! <3
Congrats!!

I'm happy you got in but I'm sad you're leaving us on the board. Have a good time in medical school XD

I'm happy you got in but I'm sad you're leaving us on the board. Have a good time in medical school XD
I’ll be checking back here to see how things go for you guys! You aren’t rid of me just yet ;)

Oh! One more thing, my portal did not change for anyone wondering.

Congrats, it must feel great! Did you have some outstanding/unique ECs or research? Ivy undergrad?

I interviewed September, IS, lizzym 82-83, and with pretty typical ECs and research but no pubs. I'd pay them another 100$ if they'd tell me what I did wrong lol

Congrats, it must feel great! Did you have some outstanding/unique ECs or research? Ivy undergrad?

I interviewed September, IS, LizzyM 82-83, and with pretty typical ECs and research but no pubs. I'd pay them another 100$ if they'd tell me what I did wrong lol
Lol same

I interviewed September, IS, LizzyM 82-83, and with pretty typical ECs and research but no pubs. I'd pay them another 100$ if they'd tell me what I did wrong lol
I’m graduating from UF, so a good school but not Ivy. My volunteering was pretty unique as I volunteered with my school’s Arts in Medicine program. I have a longstanding history with music and singing (I also sang in the UF choir), and will be the first from my institution to graduate with a Certificate in Music in Medicine. I will also soon be first author on my first pub about how music impacts the behavior of children with autism.

Reactions: 4 users
I’m graduating from UF, so a good school but not Ivy. My volunteering was pretty unique as I volunteered with my school’s Arts in Medicine program. I have a longstanding history with music and singing (I also sang in the UF choir), and will be the first from my institution to graduate with a Certificate in Music in Medicine. I will also soon be first author on my first pub about how music impacts the behavior of children with autism.
Sounds like some outstanding EC’s to me lol. Congrats! You totally deserve this

Wow that's really unique! Thanks for writing that up for us.

Some other accepted students I know of have similarly unique backgrounds - dance, growing up on a farm, immigrating from south America, being on sports teams, etc... They really mean it when they say holistic

Wow that's really unique! Thanks for writing that up for us.

Some other accepted students I know of have similarly unique backgrounds - dance, growing up on a farm, immigrating from south America, being on sports teams, etc... They really mean it when they say holistic
I really didn’t think I was all that special so I’m absolutely over the moon but I'm not questioning it!

Sidenote, how do we get on to the facebook group? Do we just request for them to add us?

I really didn’t think I was all that special so I’m absolutely over the moon but I'm not questioning it!

Sidenote, how do we get on to the facebook group? Do we just request for them to add us?

Search for it on facebook and request access

Me: Constantly paranoid on Tuesdays
Baylor: Accepts on Wednesday
Me: Constantly paranoid everyday

Reactions: 12 users

Saw you on reddit :)

~~~~~

Pardon the "home team cheering" for BCM...some encouragement for those who fathom that the wait for that call from BCM will NEVER end! :)

A word of encouragement about timing of interviews vis-a-vis your prospects at BCM...

Our daughter had been complete a bit late back in 2012...she got her OOS interview for the very last date back then, toward the end of February.

She got accepted in early May from BCM's WL. She immediately gave back her prior acceptance to our lone home-state public medical school, and called a few others others to drop her name from their WL's. BCM also offered her a 50% merit scholarship...she would have readily accepted without the scholarship. She had earlier respectfully declined an acceptance to Vermont/UVM, partly because it was so expensive to go there...even with a possible scholarship, it would have still been very expensive. (Vermont the state is so small that they interview and accept most of their classes from OOS.)

Looking back, it was her most important acceptance anywhere. She would go on to score 93rd percentile on both Steps 1 and 2. (BCM often leads, or is near the top, in average Step scores among all medical schools...and the Steps are the litmus test for competitive residency interviews.)

After she decided a bit late (after a late optional rotation) on Ortho-- having passed on initial first choice derm (too monotonous), and passed on optho (too one-organ focused), plastics (too much vanity surgery), and ENT (real world practice is a lot of tonsils and ear tubes)-- she landed many of the highly competitive Ortho interviews she sought (several top 20 programs), even though Ortho has been the last bastion of male-dominated specialties (maybe just 10% females out there, lowest of any specialty). She then got her first choice in the VERY SELECTIVE Ortho match.

BCM had been a challenge to be sure, but the atmosphere was collegial and supportive...the great faculty really cares.

Some overview points here:
1) do not fear interviewing late at BCM vis-a-vis your chances of acceptance

2) they have scholarship $ available late

3) BCM is an EXCEPTIONAL cost value even relative to home state/in-state costs, and with or without a scholarship...it might be less expensive than your IS schools straight-up (w/o a scholarship)...ALL schools charge fees in addition to tuition, so don't let BCM's fees spook you

4) Be sure to focus on NET costs...some schools are quick to note how many get scholarships, but if the "list price" tuition and fees are very high, you might pay quite a lot more net than to go to BCM (even OOS).

5) BCM can position you to smoke the Steps and track toward top residency interviews and placements

6) the PRM thing is a nice plus to help you adjust to medical school-- https://www.bcm.edu/education/schools/medical-school/student-affairs/class- of-2021/peer-resource-network

7) the 18-month pre-clinical period (which might have originated at BCM) has proven to work well...it gets you into the hospitals sooner seeing patients, which is what medicine is really all about.

8) Notwithstanding the recent rare flooding from the hurricane, and the usual sticky heat, as a practical matter Houston is a far better place than many locations to attend medical school. COL is moderate to low, and you can live a 15-minute bus ride away...just $1.20 a day for student fares. In your rare free/down time, there are excellent dining and cultural activities/sports.

To summarize, after establishing Texas residency (buy R.E. before you matriculate...or you could marry a Texas resident!):), and net of a 50% scholarship, BCM was WELL LESS EXPENSIVE than going IS to our public medical school might have been.

BCM boasts (rightfully) that they are the best private medical school value in America-- but they are being TOO MODEST! BCM is the best medical school value PERIOD, especially when you factor in your bang for the buck-- results (Step scores and residency matches) vis-a-vis net costs.

Reactions: 7 users
~~~~~

Pardon the "home team cheering" for BCM...some encouragement for those who fathom that the wait for that call from BCM will NEVER end! :)

A word of encouragement about timing of interviews vis-a-vis your prospects at BCM...

Our daughter had been complete a bit late back in 2012...she got her OOS interview for the very last date back then, toward the end of February.

She got accepted in early May from BCM's WL. She immediately gave back her prior acceptance to our lone home-state public medical school, and called a few others others to drop her name from their WL's. BCM also offered her a 50% merit scholarship...she would have readily accepted without the scholarship. She had earlier respectfully declined an acceptance to Vermont/UVM, partly because it was so expensive to go there...even with a possible scholarship, it would have still been very expensive. (Vermont the state is so small that they interview and accept most of their classes from OOS.)

Looking back, it was her most important acceptance anywhere. She would go on to score 93rd percentile on both Steps 1 and 2. (BCM often leads, or is near the top, in average Step scores among all medical schools...and the Steps are the litmus test for competitive residency interviews.)

After she decided a bit late (after a late optional rotation) on Ortho-- having passed on initial first choice derm (too monotonous), and passed on optho (too one-organ focused), plastics (too much vanity surgery), and ENT (real world practice is a lot of tonsils and ear tubes)-- she landed many of the highly competitive Ortho interviews she sought (several top 20 programs), even though Ortho has been the last bastion of male-dominated specialties (maybe just 10% females out there, lowest of any specialty). She then got her first choice in the VERY SELECTIVE Ortho match.

BCM had been a challenge to be sure, but the atmosphere was collegial and supportive...the great faculty really cares.

3) BCM is an EXCEPTIONAL cost value even relative to home state/in-state costs, and with or without a scholarship...it might be less expensive than your IS schools straight-up (w/o a scholarship)...ALL schools charge fees in addition to tuition, so don't let BCM's fees spook you

4) Be sure to focus on NET costs...some schools are quick to note how many get scholarships, but if the "list price" tuition and fees are very high, you might pay quite a lot more net than to go to BCM (even OOS).

5) BCM can position you to smoke the Steps and track toward top residency interviews and placements

6) the PRM thing is a nice plus to help you adjust to medical school-- https://www.bcm.edu/education/schools/medical-school/student-affairs/class- of-2021/peer-resource-network

7) the 18-month pre-clinical period (which might have originated at BCM) has proven to work well...it gets you into the hospitals sooner seeing patients, which is what medicine is really all about.

8) Notwithstanding the recent rare flooding from the hurricane, and the usual sticky heat, as a practical matter Houston is a far better place than many locations to attend medical school. COL is moderate to low, and you can live a 15-minute bus ride away...just $1.20 a day for student fares. In your rare free/down time, there are excellent dining and cultural activities/sports.

To summarize, after establishing Texas residency (buy R.E. before you matriculate...or you could marry a Texas resident!):), and net of a 50% scholarship, BCM was WELL LESS EXPENSIVE than going IS to our public medical school might have been.

BCM boasts (rightfully) that they are the best private medical school value in America-- but they are being TOO MODEST! BCM is the best medical school value PERIOD, especially when you factor in your bang for the buck-- results (Step scores and residency matches) vis-a-vis net costs.
Thanks for your post. I've read your earlier ones and they are super helpful. I'm sure all of what you post about Baylor is still true with one major exception. Their OOS acceptance rate has plummeted since your daughter's experience in 2012. So for those of us who haven't heard yet, there is a very real chance we won't get in.

Reactions: 5 users
Does BCM only give the merit scholarship at the same time you get accepted, or can you still receive a merit scholarship months after acceptance?

~~~~~

Really thankful for your consistent encouragement and knowledge. The wait is very hard, mostly because Baylor is such a great school. I’m sure your daughter got a little antsy from time to time just like us. It’s just nice to hear a story with a happy ending!

Good luck to everyone still in process!! :) I've been reading this post for while and I'm so thankful to hear from people going through same process as me!

Accepted yesterday! Did anyone accepted yesterday get the email with the forms yet?

Last edited: