2017-2018 A.T. Still University - Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (ATSU-KCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe the wrong thread to post this in, but I figure there’s a decent chance of me getting in off the waitlist at KCOM and/or DMU.

About me:
-Either school is 6 hours from home
-Leaning toward EM right now
-My fiancée has some family in Kirksville (including her sister, who would be my classmate)
-We have an almost-5 year old son
-We have no family in Des Moines at all

If I’m lucky enough to have a choice after this grueling and demoralizing cycle, what are some good pros and cons for each school with the above in mind?

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe the wrong thread to post this in, but I figure there’s a decent chance of me getting in off the waitlist at KCOM and/or DMU.

About me:
-Either school is 6 hours from home
-Leaning toward EM right now
-My fiancée has some family in Kirksville (including her sister, who would be my classmate)
-We have an almost-5 year old son
-We have no family in Des Moines at all

If I’m lucky enough to have a choice after this grueling and demoralizing cycle, what are some good pros and cons for each school with the above in mind?

I'm right there with you (on both waitlists). Both of them have very good academics and match lists, so I don't really think that you can compare the schools on that too much. For me, KCOM seems to have a better focus on OMM and the cost of living is much less than Des Moines. The only con there is really if you feel like a small town will be too difficult for you. In Des Moines, some pros are that you'll be able to learn interdisciplinary with other students and a cool surgery lab, but I'm concerned about the rotation sites since they're spread all over the place and they don't even (really) have sufficient spots for all of their students.

If I was in your spot, I'd pick KCOM because you can have family close to you and you'll have the opportunity to save money in cost of living (and potentially free childcare!). In the grand scheme of things, I would bet you'll get a similar education at both of them though.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm right there with you (on both waitlists). Both of them have very good academics and match lists, so I don't really think that you can compare the schools on that too much. For me, KCOM seems to have a better focus on OMM and the cost of living is much less than Des Moines. The only con there is really if you feel like a small town will be too difficult for you. In Des Moines, some pros are that you'll be able to learn interdisciplinary with other students and a cool surgery lab, but I'm concerned about the rotation sites since they're spread all over the place and they don't even (really) have sufficient spots for all of their students.

If I was in your spot, I'd pick KCOM because you can have family close to you and you'll have the opportunity to save money in cost of living (and potentially free childcare!). In the grand scheme of things, I would bet you'll get a similar education at both of them though.
aren't the rotation sites for KCOM all over the place also?

Well, I’m starting to think that if I’m accepted off the pending seat list that I’m going to end up at KCOM. Hopefully we start seeing some movement after the 15th.

Reactions: 1 users
I find the schedule a bit confusing with regards to the summer break between terms 2 and 3. Do we not get a break because of Clinical Experience II or is that something that happens in the middle of break? I'm trying to figure out time off.

I find the schedule a bit confusing with regards to the summer break between terms 2 and 3. Do we not get a break because of Clinical Experience II or is that something that happens in the middle of break? I'm trying to figure out time off.

Clinical Experience II is split up into a Group 1 and a Group 2. Group 1 has their clinical experience the first 2 weeks after classes are complete and then has the rest of the summer off. Group 2 has the initial month of summer off and then their clinical experience the last 2 weeks of summer (2 weeks prior to classes in 3rd semester starting). You are assigned these groups during Semester 2. If you have a prior commitment I do believe you can tell the school about this and they will work with you as far as which group you are in (Don't quote me here). You are also able to trade with fellow students.

Hope that helps!

Looks like all of the seats following the April 15th deadline have been filled... so I most likely won't get a seat this year.

Looks like all of the seats following the April 15th deadline have been filled... so I most likely won't get a seat this year.

Don't lose hope!! people always back out for different reasons even after the second deposit. There is another deposit due in May 15th until then keep communicating with the admis office through letters of intent etc.

I was interviewed on January 22, I was accepted pending a seat on Jan 31. On April 16, I got the phone call that I was accepted for a seat for this upcoming year, Class of 2022!!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
I’ll never try to understand this process. I’m accepted pending a seat, but I interviewed back in October, pending seat decision made in January, and I’m still on the pending list. I was told to check back in around May 1st, so hopefully I will hear something by then because it is difficult trying to plan my job and living arrangements around whether I’ll be home or at school for the next year.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was just offered a seat this year! I'm so excited! :D

Reactions: 4 users
congrats!! When did you interview? I'm really confused Ive been hanging in limbo for a while, I interviewed back in january
Thank you! I interviewed on February 2nd. I'm guessing they rank everyone on the accepted pending list to decide who to offer spots to first, but it sucks not knowing where you stand! There's still plenty of time for you to get in this year though. Good luck :)

Thank you! I interviewed on February 2nd. I'm guessing they rank everyone on the accepted pending list to decide who to offer spots to first, but it sucks not knowing where you stand! There's still plenty of time for you to get in this year though. Good luck :)
I just got my acceptance call today (while I was at my graduation ceremony too lol)!!! Looking forward to meeting you all :)

I withdrew my acceptance this morning. I hope it goes to one of your guys!

Hoping for some good news today... fingers crossed!

Is anyone else worried about having to rush into finding housing and getting financial aid just a month or two before orientation in July? It almost makes me hope I don’t start until next year so I have time to properly plan ahead.

Is anyone else worried about having to rush into finding housing and getting financial aid just a month or two before orientation in July? It almost makes me hope I don’t start until next year so I have time to properly plan ahead.
It's making this whole process even more stressful. What's worse for me is that I'll also be moving with my fiancee and son. It's very difficult to plan anything when I have no idea where I'll be in 2-3 months. Also, I would have expected to be offered a seat yesterday if I were going to be, seeing as the last payment deadline was May 1.

It's making this whole process even more stressful. What's worse for me is that I'll also be moving with my fiancee and son. It's very difficult to plan anything when I have no idea where I'll be in 2-3 months. Also, I would have expected to be offered a seat yesterday if I were going to be, seeing as the last payment deadline was May 1.
Last deadline is 15 may

... Still no waitlist movement? Makes me think the class is full barring people dropping out last minute. Oh well, I was admitted to DMU anyway... so NO MORE GAP YEARS!

i gave up my seat. Someone will get it soon =)

I was just told I am at #10 on the pending seat list. I withdrew my application. Hopefully my spot on the list will end up getting in this year.

I was just told I am at #10 on the pending seat list. I withdrew my application. Hopefully my spot on the list will end up getting in this year.
Did you call them to find out where you were on the list or did they contact you?

Did you call them to find out where you were on the list or did they contact you?
I just emailed admissions. They got back to me the next day.

Anyone here still on the Pending List waiting to hear some good news? On the flip side, anyone on here with a spot that is still up in the air? With less than a month to go I am very anxious on hearing an answer because I know I will already feel very rushed if a spot opens up this year, even though I have made plans and am very willing to wait another year, not knowing an answer has been driving me crazy! Just seeing if there is anyone else in the same predicament as I am!

Hey everyone, I know of a great 2 bedroom, 2 bath townhouse still for rent, only $600 per month, if anyone is interested. The landlord’s name is Kristin, she works with a lot of other ATSU students and is super easy going. Her number is 660-956-5677. I also have pictures I can send if you message me.

Anyone here still on the Pending List waiting to hear some good news? On the flip side, anyone on here with a spot that is still up in the air? With less than a month to go I am very anxious on hearing an answer because I know I will already feel very rushed if a spot opens up this year, even though I have made plans and am very willing to wait another year, not knowing an answer has been driving me crazy! Just seeing if there is anyone else in the same predicament as I am!

If I were you, I would go ahead and take a year to travel, work, and just enjoy life. I'm kind of like you in that I need to take my time to move and prepare for school.. if you did get the call today, would you go for it? I personally wouldn't.

As far as the secondary goes from last year, is the ACT score required? I didn't do the greatest but wondering why they are asking for it

Anyone willing to look over my secondaries from AT Still and/or have an example of theirs?

If I were you, I would go ahead and take a year to travel, work, and just enjoy life. I'm kind of like you in that I need to take my time to move and prepare for school.. if you did get the call today, would you go for it? I personally wouldn't.
I did end up getting the call! The deal is, if you get the call, you have to either say yes, or relinquish your spot. Only under extenuating circumstances can you defer a year if you get the call. But I’m currently packing we speak, and very excited!

Anyone know if KCOM attendance is mandatory and if there is a dress code?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anyone know if KCOM attendance is mandatory and if there is a dress code?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No mandatory attendance. No dress code. It’s marvelous.

There’s nothing I hate more than lying, except skim milk, which is water lying about being milk.