2017-2018 A.T. Still University - Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (ATSU-KCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary Prompt: What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

What specific experience/exposure have you had with osteopathic medicine? How has this influenced your decision to become an osteopathic physician? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

Please list any changes or updates to your AACOMAS application. This section may be left blank if your AACOMAS application is complete and accurate:

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
@AlteredScale

What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

What specific experience/exposure have you had with osteopathic medicine? How has this influenced your decision to become an osteopathic physician? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

Please list any changes or updates to your AACOMAS application. This section may be left blank if your AACOMAS application is complete and accurate:

Woot ATSU-KCOM :D

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
are you just copying and pasting you clinical experiences, explaining in more depth, or just listing responsibilities? not really sure about what to put down

are you just copying and pasting you clinical experiences, explaining in more depth, or just listing responsibilities? not really sure about what to put down

I didn't copy and paste per say. I just pulled up my AACOMAS primary and took down all the clinical experience stuff. I just mentioned my responsibilities and didn't go into detail about what I learned nor give specific examples. I included shadowing all in one like I did in my primary. I'm not sure if that's how they want it but it's useless for me to include them all separately.

Filling out the secondary now and have a few questions, specifically about adding in the Clinical experiences:

1) I have 2 clinical research experiences and, although I know it says research shouldn't be added, I'm wondering if mine would be an exception:

One the experiences involved talking to patients in the Emergency Department and recruiting them for research studies (so not exactly my own research)

The other involved volunteering in a lab studying motor recovery in stroke patients, and helping run experiments with the stroke patients that came in (again, not my own research)

2) So I have a letter of rec from a DO. He basically only allowed me to shadow him for one day (about 5 or 6 hours) but said he'd still write a letter on my behalf. I also have some shadowing experiences with about 2 or 3 other doctors as well, but no letters. In fact, I was only able to shadow these other doctors for a few hours (no more than 10) and I'm not even sure if they'd remember me. I'm wondering if I should just merge all my shadowing experiences into one generic "Physician Shadowing" experience or if I should just include the DO shadowing experience?

Filling out the secondary now and have a few questions, specifically about adding in the Clinical experiences:

1) I have 2 clinical research experiences and, although I know it says research shouldn't be added, I'm wondering if mine would be an exception:

One the experiences involved talking to patients in the Emergency Department and recruiting them for research studies (so not exactly my own research)

The other involved volunteering in a lab studying motor recovery in stroke patients, and helping run experiments with the stroke patients that came in (again, not my own research)

2) So I have a letter of rec from a DO. He basically only allowed me to shadow him for one day (about 5 or 6 hours) but said he'd still write a letter on my behalf. I also have some shadowing experiences with about 2 or 3 other doctors as well, but no letters. In fact, I was only able to shadow these other doctors for a few hours (no more than 10) and I'm not even sure if they'd remember me. I'm wondering if I should just merge all my shadowing experiences into one generic "Physician Shadowing" experience or if I should just include the DO shadowing experience?

1) Yeah I had a position where i was also recruiting patients in the ED for a clinical study. I included it because its a clinical experience. I think by research they meant more like lab research that isn't patient related (or is but has no direct patient contact associated with it). You should include both IF you had direct patient contact.

2) Use that DO letter. and I merged all my shadowing experiences -- DO or MD...same thing in my eyes. I merged on my AACOMAS primary as well

secondary received today and submitted!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an e-mail saying my application is complete!

I submitted my secondary! It still says my letters and mcat are not received, but I submitted them along my aacomas primary...?!

When you guys submitted your primary app, how long did it take for you guys to get your secondary?

When you guys submitted your primary app, how long did it take for you guys to get your secondary?

5 weeks, but that's because I submitted my primary in may and they didn't receive primary apps until 6/15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else still waiting on them to receive letters and MCAT score? It makes no sense that they haven't gotten that information from AACOMAS yet.

Hey all, how did you interpret the 1st secondary: What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM?

I am having trouble discerning if it is looking for qualities like: knowledgeable, empathetic, personable, or if they want what are your specific things that make you different to bring to KCOM (diversity essay). Maybe I am digging too hard like usual.

Hey all, how did you interpret the 1st secondary: What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM?

I am having trouble discerning if it is looking for qualities like: knowledgeable, empathetic, personable, or if they want what are your specific things that make you different to bring to KCOM (diversity essay). Maybe I am digging too hard like usual.

Little bit of both!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anyone else still waiting on them to receive letters and MCAT score? It makes no sense that they haven't gotten that information from AACOMAS yet.
They sent me a complete email on 7/5.
I submitted my secondary on 6/24.
Then all materials were into AACOMAS at the end of May, except for my committee letter which AACOMAS recieved on 7/2.

They sent me a complete email on 7/5.
I submitted my secondary on 6/24.
Then all materials were into AACOMAS at the end of May, except for my committee letter which AACOMAS recieved on 7/2.

I hate waiting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If your AACOMAS is already 100% complete, (with an MCAT score as well as all your LOR's), and your portal still hasn't been updated, then I suggest calling them. They matched everything to my portal and sent a "complete" email on 7/5.

Definitely talk about both, but I would suggest focusing more on the latter. Schools like specific examples.

If your AACOMAS is already 100% complete, (with an MCAT score as well as all your LOR's), and your portal still hasn't been updated, then I suggest calling them. They matched everything to my portal and sent a "complete" email on 7/5.

Definitely talk about both, but I would suggest focusing more on the latter. Schools like specific examples.

I'm still waiting on 2 letters but I already have the ones that fulfill their requirements. The letters I'm waiting on are extra. Should I wait for those letters or should I go ahead and call them? Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Nevermind I got a complete email.

Last edited:
Anyone else get that email from the Office of Diversity?

Their secondary states that your letters must have your AACOMAS ID listed. I verified that they will accept letters without the AACOMAS ID in the actual letter. But if you have the opportunity to have your writer list it, would probably be helpful!

Their secondary states that your letters must have your AACOMAS ID listed. I verified that they will accept letters without the AACOMAS ID in the actual letter. But if you have the opportunity to have your writer list it, would probably be helpful!
Are they referring to letters that did not come directly from AACOMAS? I uploaded all my letters to AACOMAS and I did not think to have any letter writers use my AACOMAS ID in their letter.

Anyone else get that email from the Office of Diversity?
I just received the diversity e-mail today. Seemed generic except for the part where it says, "Interviews are around the corner and we are excited by your chances of procuring one of our coveted interview slots."
so like.... should I get excited or nah?

Reactions: 2 users
I just received the diversity e-mail today. Seemed generic except for the part where it says, "Interviews are around the corner and we are excited by your chances of procuring one of our coveted interview slots."
so like.... should I get excited or nah?

I was...until I realized it wasn't exclusive to me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are they referring to letters that did not come directly from AACOMAS? I uploaded all my letters to AACOMAS and I did not think to have any letter writers use my AACOMAS ID in their letter.
They did not specify, as far as I can tell. The directions are in the secondary. Given that the ID is not needed, you are just fine.

Though I am curious about the decision to upload all letters through AACOMAS. Yes, it seems like a lot of schools prefer that this cycle, but lots of schools have different letter requirements and I will preferentially send additional letters as allowed, or maybe not letters that I do not think are as strong, if they are not required. Anyone have thoughts/strategies on that? My solution is to upload the academic letters to AACOMAS then send any additional letters individually to schools via Interfolio.

They did not specify, as far as I can tell. The directions are in the secondary. Given that the ID is not needed, you are just fine.

Though I am curious about the decision to upload all letters through AACOMAS. Yes, it seems like a lot of schools prefer that this cycle, but lots of schools have different letter requirements and I will preferentially send additional letters as allowed, or maybe not letters that I do not think are as strong, if they are not required. Anyone have thoughts/strategies on that? My solution is to upload the academic letters to AACOMAS then send any additional letters individually to schools via Interfolio.
My problem is Nova. They require 4 letters and a 5th letter if you're a nontrad. They only accept AACOMAS letters so I was stuck sending 5 letters to each school.

"Please allow a minimum of 2 weeks for processing after you submit your secondary application before checking your status." I've reached completion status 7/5..but nothing since then. Anyone get anything?

"Please allow a minimum of 2 weeks for processing after you submit your secondary application before checking your status." I've reached completion status 7/5..but nothing since then. Anyone get anything?
Nope, was complete on 6/25

Reactions: 1 users
I just received the secondary. I didn't shadow any DO and never exposed to osteopathic medicine, but I did shadow a MD for three weeks and I have a good letter from that MD. Do I have any chance without the experience of shadowing DO? Thanks!

I just received the secondary. I didn't shadow any DO and never exposed to osteopathic medicine, but I did shadow a MD for three weeks and I have a good letter from that MD. Do I have any chance without the experience of shadowing DO? Thanks!
I think that's a steep uphill battle.

Hey Everyone! I am a current OMSII at KCOM and would be happy to answer any questions you have about the school/area!

Hey Everyone! I am a current OMSII at KCOM and would be happy to answer any questions you have about the school/area!
How expensive is it to live there?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
How expensive is it to live there?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

The cost of living is very low here! Rent, utilities, and food are all inexpensive compared to larger city living. Rent can be anywhere from$350-900 depending on how many rooms and how updated the home is.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile