2016 PHAP (Public Health Associate Program) application - General discussion thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello!

Where do we send our official transcripts? My HR rep said to send my transcripts per the email directions but I had never received an email with such instructions. If you're not comfortable putting the information here please feel free to message me.

I appreciate it!!

update -- Please disregard, just got the information :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all. I'm wondering if anyone completing onboarding paperwork can answer this question for me: do people have different amounts of paperwork? I have 17 documents, but in previous threads I've seen some folks with 16 and others with 20. Not sure if that is the case this year.

Hi all. Congratulations to all those who received their offers and good luck to the rest of you who are still waiting. Just received and accepted my offer for Fort Myers, Florida. This is a completely new location to me, does anybody have any information?

Fort Myers is near my hometown in Punta Gorda, FL. it's pretty diverse and is on the gulf coast of Florida. You're in the middle of Tampa and Miami and there are 2015 PHAPs assigned there I believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to take this special moment to thank God for his favor today.I did received an email today and I will be with the Houston

I got an email this morning for a tentative offer with the OSTLTS in Houston Texas. I Thank God for his favor and grace. I wish all those who are still waiting good luck.

I am jealous of you that you got houston. I am from houston and I got posted to Santa Fe New Mexico. I wish you all the best. :)

Hi all. I'm wondering if anyone completing onboarding paperwork can answer this question for me: do people have different amounts of paperwork? I have 17 documents, but in previous threads I've seen some folks with 16 and others with 20. Not sure if that is the case this year.

Hi! What do you mean? Are you talking about the e-QIP? If so, I believe I had at least 15 or so forms total to go through and fill out electronically.

I have 17 forms as well. Another PHAP I've connected with has 22 forms, though.

Hi all,
I've been fighting battles between my head & heart. I've about 6 years of PH experience and an MPH. I had accepted the offer but still kind of wondering whether I've really made the right decision, yet still I wouldn't want to just waste this opportunity. With PHAP being an entry level job position, my greatest fear is the job security post the 2 year PHAP fellowship, besides I read somewhere that PHAP is purposely designed for fresh undergraduates? Thus, my million dollar question is what will be the likelihood for landing a PHA job at for instance - G 12 - after going through the 2 year PHAP program and with an MPH and some of PH experience?

Kindly help me make an informed and wise decision!!!

Thank you.

Hi! What do you mean? Are you talking about the e-QIP? If so, I believe I had at least 15 or so forms total to go through and fill out electronically.

my bad- probably should have rephrased that better! I meant the specific onboarding manager tasks. I haven't started the e-QIP/background investigation stuff yet, so I can't speak to that.

I have 17 forms as well. Another PHAP I've connected with has 22 forms, though.

The onboarding manager tasks, right? I'm starting to think PHAPers have varying numbers of tasks. Maybe it has to do with the different states/sites we are placed in?

Hi all,
I've been fighting battles between my head & heart. I've about 6 years of PH experience and an MPH. I had accepted the offer but still kind of wondering whether I've really made the right decision, yet still I wouldn't want to just waste this opportunity. With PHAP being an entry level job position, my greatest fear is the job security post the 2 year PHAP fellowship, besides I read somewhere that PHAP is purposely designed for fresh undergraduates? Thus, my million dollar question is what will be the likelihood for landing a PHA job at for instance - G 12 - after going through the 2 year PHAP program and with an MPH and some of PH experience?

Thank you.

Hi, current PHAP here with an MPH. PHA jobs after PHAP are not guaranteed- there are only a handful of CDC positions available each year. With the way the program is set up, all PHA jobs available to PHAPs are GS-9 positions. The HR rule is that you have to work 1 year at the lower grade in order to be eligible for the next grade...so you can't jump from a GS-7 to a GS-12. The only way to get a GS-12 position after PHAP, is if you apply as an external applicant. PM me if you have more questions!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

Thank you.
Hey current 2015 PHAP here, I sent you a PM that may help you with your decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Have there been any offers recently? If so, what regions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Could anyone give some insight as to the actual figures for salaries? When I looked up the pay grade tables it seemed like salaries were around 28K but I also saw some reports on other sites that were more in the 30s/40s. Thanks!

Hi all,

Thank you.

Yeah, I think you are probably right to be doubting. This program is definitely set up for new grads with no experience. With an MPH and 6 years of experience you could easily jump straight to a GS-9 or GS-11 right now.

As someone else mentioned, with this program your promotion potential is GS-9 for the potential conversion to the non-competitive PFA positions coming out of the program, and that's non-negotiable. The program is run under the Pathways for Recent Graduates authority and that's how the law is written.

I guess it depends on if the only feeder program to your dream job is through this program - for instance, the Preparedness PFAs are pretty much solely drawn from PHAP. But if I were you I'd take my 6 years of experience and my degree and land a better job that won't drive you so crazy - the whole program setup is designed to teach you how to Public Health and you probably already know that. (you would have been a great fit for the PHPS)

That said - the mercenary in me says not to turn down the position until you can secure a better job somewhere else in the meantime. I would go through the process and set an end date for yourself to pull out. Or, honestly, apply up until the time you take the position and move. After all, 30k a year is better than 0k a year...even if it's not the best you could do!

I guess the question is: why CDC? Why this position? Why take a pay cut/lower job?

Could anyone give some insight as to the actual figures for salaries? When I looked up the pay grade tables it seemed like salaries were around 28K but I also saw some reports on other sites that were more in the 30s/40s. Thanks!

You will be GS-5 your first year, and that's around 28k base salary, but you will get a location bonus that takes it to around 30-31k (or higher if the cost of living is higher in your assignment area). GS-7 in your second year will be closer to 40K. Check the OPM website for the General Schedule Salaries and look at GS-5 and GS-7, Step 1, and then look for your location adjustment. If you are not in one of the listed cities, then you will get the "Rest of US" number.

Hi everyone! First time poster. Congratulations to everyone that has received an offer so far. And hold strong for those still waiting, I know the stress you're feeling. I received an offer today for Little Rock, Arkansas. Is there anyone on here that could provide some feedback on areas to stay in? Thanks!

You will be GS-5 your first year, and that's around 28k base salary, but you will get a location bonus that takes it to around 30-31k (or higher if the cost of living is higher in your assignment area). GS-7 in your second year will be closer to 40K. Check the OPM website for the General Schedule Salaries and look at GS-5 and GS-7, Step 1, and then look for your location adjustment. If you are not in one of the listed cities, then you will get the "Rest of US" number.

Hi Auctoritas! Since you seem to be familiar with this, do you mind speaking more about how much of the 30-31k (I understand that this depends on location) is net pay? I'd like to get an idea how much we actually take home after all the benefits are deducted (I understand that this varies per state and our benefits package as well). Any insight or example you could give would help!

Hey everyone!! I received an offer today for Goshen, NY which is within my first preference for region. So anyone that has not received an offer yet don't loose hope! I was starting to think I was out of the race and was honestly surprised to get the offer lol. If anyone else is in the area let me know! I live in NYC so if people need advice on renting apartments or good areas just let me know!

Thanks Felix Felicis! I got the offer via email today. ..so don't lose hope! Denver peeps where are you???? I'm so excited b/c Denver was my top choice. Never lived there but always wanted to ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone heard from new england placements yet? MA, CT, RI, NH, ME, VT?

Hi Auctoritas! Since you seem to be familiar with this, do you mind speaking more about how much of the 30-31k (I understand that this depends on location) is net pay? I'd like to get an idea how much we actually take home after all the benefits are deducted (I understand that this varies per state and our benefits package as well). Any insight or example you could give would help!

I am in the rest of US. After all my taxes, benefits (I picked high option on all my medical/dental and have family coverage vs individual), deductions, and a 3% contribution to retirement I take home 825 every 2 weeks as a GS 5. You can make that much higher if you go cheap on insurance (or if you are young enough to stay on your parents).

It's not lucrative, to be sure, and I'm lucky to be married to a nurse. But it is an investment in a future job - it's all about living tough now for good returns later!

Has anyone submitted their transcripts electronically? the instructions say to submit it using our own email with @cdc on the end and I'm not sure how that works lol

Hi everyone!

First-time poster here, but I enjoyed reading most of your posts. It helped me out. I got placed in Columbus, OH so if any of you have any pointers about the city please let me know! I am also from Chicago and grew up around St. Louis so if any of you get placed there feel free to message me for some tips.

Also does anyone know how long these background checks usually take? I feel weird telling my friends and family I got this position when technically I can still be denied until these checks are done. Thank you in advance!

Has anyone submitted their transcripts electronically? the instructions say to submit it using our own email with @cdc on the end and I'm not sure how that works lol

My HR rep told me just to email her my transcripts to her CDC email address. My university sends them out from their own email so I wouldn't even have the option to send it from any other address. Maybe you should email your HR rep and ask them to clarify. I emailed mine a ton asking various questions. They are there to help!

Thanks Acutoritas.
In response to your excellent questions - why CDC? Why this position? Why take a pay cut/lower job?
Why CDC? I've actually been looking for PH jobs at other premier health organizations in addition to the CDC.
Why this position and why take a huge pay cut? I've always been looking for lifelong PH career that fits well with my passion and my professional experience and I find a PHA role fits well with my career goals and the only way for me to get there is to go through this long route (sometimes you have to sacrifice!).
Thanks again for your response.

Hi everyone!

First-time poster here, but I enjoyed reading most of your posts. It helped me out. I got placed in Columbus, OH so if any of you have any pointers about the city please let me know! I am also from Chicago and grew up around St. Louis so if any of you get placed there feel free to message me for some tips.

Also does anyone know how long these background checks usually take? I feel weird telling my friends and family I got this position when technically I can still be denied until these checks are done. Thank you in advance!

I am currently working at Columbus Public Health- feel free to privately message me if you would like. I have worked here for two summers and have had a great experience. There are always 2 fellows and they are really well received here and have a lot of autonomy in their positions. Columbus is also a great city- growing rapidly, home to lots of cool neighborhoods and a great social scene. Lots of things to do outside of work!

As for me, I received an offer in CT on Wednesday. I will be declining the position as I believe it is in my best interest to go right to graduate school. I applied to this program and to graduate school and after lots of soul searching and conversations with mentors/public health professionals, I think going right to grad school better serves me and my goals to be an epidemiologist in the long term. Hopefully this position is given to one of you who is looking for New England!

Does anyone have any idea when final offers will be sent out? And will we have any contact with our host site? Does anyone know anything about orientation dates or start dates? I know the website says you typically start work in early October and orientation is in late October? Any current associates have any info? I'm just trying to figure out a timeline for moving as best I can!

Hey Everyone! First time poster here but I have been keeping up with the thread and have loved reading all the feedback. I just got my placement in Richmond, VA and would love to link up with anyone else recently placed there and those already there. I'm coming in from NC but have very little exposure to the Richmond area. For those already in Richmond, where are the safest, and cheapest areas to live? Where do most associates tend to find accommodation? Where do most associates work? State Health Department? I'm looking forward to this opportunity and hoping it turns out great! Any feedback from you all would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,
I'm a current Richmond PHAP (2015 class) -- there are currently 7 of us from the 2015 class at the city health department (and 6 from the 2014 class), and 1 at the state health department. So most likely you will be Richmond City. Feel free to message me if you have specific questions about housing, work environment, etc.

Does anyone have any idea when final offers will be sent out? And will we have any contact with our host site? Does anyone know anything about orientation dates or start dates? I know the website says you typically start work in early October and orientation is in late October? Any current associates have any info? I'm just trying to figure out a timeline for moving as best I can!
Offers will go out until all positions are filled. Vague but if you accept this position you will find the CDC is quite vague. Orientation will be in October (date will come to you near October). Your start date will be in October (exact date will come to you via email)...You need to be in your host city by whatever start date is given to you by HR. All of that info will come to you via email from now until literally October. After all of you HR functions are completed, you will have contact with your host site, host site supervisor, and CDC supervisor. This process will take a while, so enjoy the long ride.
current 2015 PHAP

Hi there! I also was placed in Albuquerque and am starting to look for apartments. Can you please clarify what the neighborhoods/areas are? (i.e. do you mean the entire part of town west of the rio grande is good?). Thanks!

Hey! I was not stationed in Albuquerque, but did grow up there before leaving the state for college. Because I'm from there, I can't really speak to how it "take(s) a little time to adjust in different ways". Albuquerque is the most urban city in the state, a lot of people are experiencing poverty, and it has deep latino roots.

Living on the West side is an affordable option, but I wouldn't do it personally. There's a lot of people that live in the West side that commute into the city for work, so the traffic is notorious. I would anticipate about a one hour drive in and out during rush hour (about 20-30 minutes) during regular hours. I would recommend living in the Nob Hill area. Living off of Central Ave is totally fine, but I would stick to areas South of Washington Ave and North of Broadway. I would say that's where most young professionals live. Typically, the rentals out there include small houses and duplexes. If you're more interested in living in a building check out the Northeast and Uptown areas. Those are good options, though the crowd up there is a little bit older and more family oriented.

I chose to move out of Albuquerque for a larger city, but there's definitely plenty to do. There's really good hiking in the Sandias and the volcanoes in the West Side and there are different trails along the Rio Grande that are very pretty walks. Check out the tram, the balloon fiesta, Old Town (especially Salsa Under the Stars in the summer and the Holiday Stroll during the winter), the Hispanic Cultural Center, the Frontier restaurant, and the state fair. My local secrets are Kap's diner, Pro's Ranch market, and all the different thrift stores (particularly Thrift Town).

Also, weird tip: If you bake, get some high altitude recipes. Otherwise, your bread won't rise and your cookies will be flat. :rofl:

Hello everyone I just received an offer for the program this past Wednesday (6/29/16) but I unfortunately I was at work and could not answer the call and the offer was made through my voicemail. I do not know where my assigned region is and I was wondering how many days after your phone call offer did you receive your invitation email? I really would like to know where in the USA I was assigned to.

Hello everyone I just received an offer for the program this past Wednesday (6/29/16) but I unfortunately I was at work and could not answer the call and the offer was made through my voicemail. I do not know where my assigned region is and I was wondering how many days after your phone call offer did you receive your invitation email? I really would like to know where in the USA I was assigned to.
Congrats!

I had the same thing happen to me; got a VM but no location nor email. They gave me a three day deadline (rec'vd the call on Saturday had to reply by Tuesday). However, I wouldn't wait until the deadline...respond via email and/or phone ASAP, especially if you're going to accept the offer. As far as finding the location...I accepted before even knowing the location. I figured if I didn't like the location, I could always back out later.

To find out the location, I called my HR person's phone a billion times (seriously!!) and left a few VMs saying I accepted. I emailed a few times (2x) to confirm that she received my acceptance and asking for the location. I was able to catch her via phone and she gave me the location. I've read through the forum that you won't find out your exact location (specific department) until closer to the start date.

If you're going to accept, I would imagine today is your deadline. I would respond asap via phone and email because they can give your spot away at any time today.

Hi guys,
I accepted my offer yesterday and sent in my electronic transcript, but haven't received any link to complete the paper work required. Since one of the forms is due July 5, and the Monday is a holiday, I am worried that I won't receive the necessary paperwork to begin the paperwork by the deadline. I have tried calling and e-mailing but no answer. Can the OF-306 simply be e-mailed to them? How soon after you guys sent in your transcripts did you receive the on-boarding link?

Current 2015 PHAP here, Congratulations to all of you. I am available for questions or information if anyone needs info. I would like to know who has been offered a position in San Antonio Texas?

Current 2015 PHAP here, Congratulations to all of you. I am available for questions or information if anyone needs info. I would like to know who has been offered a position in San Antonio Texas?
Hi! I have accepted an offer in San Antonio, TX and would love to know about your experience. Where would be a good location to live? Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi guys,
I accepted my offer yesterday and sent in my electronic transcript, but haven't received any link to complete the paper work required. Since one of the forms is due July 5, and the Monday is a holiday, I am worried that I won't receive the necessary paperwork to begin the paperwork by the deadline. I have tried calling and e-mailing but no answer. Can the OF-306 simply be e-mailed to them? How soon after you guys sent in your transcripts did you receive the on-boarding link?
I had the same issue, I emailed my HR contact back and she said she would be able to give me access to the on boarding system tomorrow, and that the form due on the 5th isn't long.

Just an update as to where I'm at in the process. I completed the background check paperwork and had my fingerprints taken last week. Waiting to hear back.

Just an update as to where I'm at in the process. I completed the background check paperwork and had my fingerprints taken last week. Waiting to hear back.

Were you told to do finger print stuff by someone or did you just do it to get ahead of the game a little? I only ask just because I haven't heard anything about that yet, so I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything! Thank you!

Question for seasoned Phapers-
How long after you were cleared by security did you recieve your official offer letter? I went in for my fingerprinting Tuesday of last week and was told I would receive an email when the background check went through. I received that email on Thursday, so I was wondering when I would get an official offer letter so that I can use it to get an apartment.
Thanks

Were you told to do finger print stuff by someone or did you just do it to get ahead of the game a little? I only ask just because I haven't heard anything about that yet, so I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything! Thank you!
After you complete the required documents on onboard (excluding the benefit documents) you'll be processed to be contacted for a background check. You'll receive multiple emails on how to start this and how to complete your fingerprints.

After you complete the required documents on onboard (excluding the benefit documents) you'll be processed to be contacted for a background check. You'll receive multiple emails on how to start this and how to complete your fingerprints.

Okay thanks! Did you fill out all of the forms? I filled out the required one and then never heard back about anything else.

Hello, I just recently found out I was accepted for the program and was assigned to Phoenix. Thanks for all the advice in this thread!

Okay thanks! Did you fill out all of the forms? I filled out the required one and then never heard back about anything else.
I attached the oboard instructions I was given. The forms with an asterisk by them do not need to be filled out right now. The highlighted form is what triggers you for a background check. After that I just waited until I heard from the background check people. It kind of looks like the background check people might me going in waves. I'm not sure though.

Attachments

• Onboard.JPG
    Onboard.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 56
Hello, I just recently found out I was accepted for the program and was assigned to Phoenix. Thanks for all the advice in this thread!
Hey there! Welcome to the Phoenix PHAP family! I'll send you a message here so we can get in touch!

Hey guys, congrats to everyone getting offers! I recently accepted an offer for Minneapolis! Anyone else going there or currently there? I also turned in my OF-306 form shortly after accepting my offer, but haven't heard anything since, and don't have any more forms in the Onboarding Manager to fill out - did this happen to anyone else?

Hi! I have accepted an offer in San Antonio, TX and would love to know about your experience. Where would be a good location to live? Any advice would be appreciated!
Hey I hope you enjoyed the holiday. A great place to live in SATX depends on which location you are assigned. I can provide some more info direc
Some areas that I would suggest are Castle Hills, Southtown, King William area, and the Medical District. None of those may names will mean anything to you now, but once your apartment search begins it will all make sense. I have the names of some apartment communities that I would suggest personally and communities recommended by previous PHAPs and PHPs. There are currently two 2014 PHAPs in SATX and 3 2015 PHAPs in SATX.

Hello! Congratulations everyone! I accepted an offer for Long Island City, NY! I would love to chat with other fellows who are looking for roommates in the area.

Has anyone heard from the northeastern regions (excluding NY/NJ)? I am still anxiously awaiting a call, and the NE was in my top 2 regional preferences. Hoping that has something to do with it! Thanks.

Hello! Congratulations everyone! I accepted an offer for Long Island City, NY! I would love to chat with other fellows who are looking for roommates in the area.
I am going to be placed in Long Island City as well! Feel free to message me, I am definitely looking for roommates and would love to chat with other NY PHAPs :)