2016 PHAP (Public Health Associate Program) application - General discussion thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if initial offers are really only two weeks before moving to alternates? Just wondering since that would be tomorrow. Also has anyone tried to email/call for a status update? Wasn't sure if the website just said they couldn't give updates to deter people from calling. It would be nice to at least know if you're no longer in the running.

I wish we could call! I'm trying to stay optimistic, but it's difficult to when we don't know how many offers are left. How about the next person that gets an offer casually asks his/her HR person how many offers have been given out so far? ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't panic yet. It was July before I got mine last year. Of course this was the week last year where I turned into a miserable person to be around.

Silence. It makes you salty.

Reactions: 5 users
Reading through posts from last year, people were getting offers on July 6th. Let's keep our heads up, fam!

@Auctoritas, I saw that's when you got yours haha. I hope the mountain boy has embraced Port Charlotte, FL.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My email said that my first form is due tomorrow, but I haven't received my account yet! I called earlier and she said that I would get an email this evening but still haven't gotten it yet... Is anyone else having this problem?

Hi all. Congratulations to all those who received their offers and good luck to the rest of you who are still waiting. Just received and accepted my offer for Fort Myers, Florida. This is a completely new location to me, does anybody have any information?

St. Paul, MN here I come! Any current/former St. Paul'ers? I am coming from Socal!
Omg so exciting! I am from just south of St. Paul and went to school there. I was really hoping to get placed in MN (it isn't for everyone, but if you love this place, you really love it). I was actually placed in Madison, WI, which is not half bad, but I would love to tell you all about MN. I know all the free museum nights and such!

Hi everyone! For PHAPers currently working on onboarding paperwork - just a warning to watch out for the tax section. My paperwork asked if I wanted taxes withheld from Minnesota, even though I was assigned to Montana. I called up my HR person and she told me it was a mistake on their end and corrected it for me. Just wanted to let everyone know to read the paperwork carefully!

Omg so exciting! I am from just south of St. Paul and went to school there. I was really hoping to get placed in MN (it isn't for everyone, but if you love this place, you really love it). I was actually placed in Madison, WI, which is not half bad, but I would love to tell you all about MN. I know all the free museum nights and such!
Where did you go to school :p

Oh what! Who is your HR person (if you don't mind sharing)?! I had confirmed my acceptance on Monday morning via phone (PST) and my HR person said I'd get an email with instructions sometime next week... May I ask what paperwork you had to fill out? I hope the wait (for HR paperwork) doesn't negatively affect us in anyway! I can't imagine it would but I always freak out anyways -_-
Rhonda Beeler, she's awesome!

Hi all. Congratulations to all those who received their offers and good luck to the rest of you who are still waiting. Just received and accepted my offer for Fort Myers, Florida. This is a completely new location to me, does anybody have any information?

Welcome! I actually live in Fort Myers! There are 2 there now from this year. Shoot me a PM and we can chat about the area and I will see if Tracy or Jacey wouldn't mind hopping in to help!

Hi! After you all completed your 308 form on the onboarding site, did any of you get confirmation that it was received from your HR rep? I have Tawanna Bingham as my rep. It was due yesterday and I haven't gotten any confirmation of my completion, even after e-mailing her to say I completed it as instructed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my offer email today. However, while waiting for the CDC to get back to me about the PHAP program, I ended up accepting a very nice job offer working in public health. Oddly enough, I'm actually working on a CDC funded grant. So, lucky for one of you, I'm turning my offer down.

I got my offer email today. However, while waiting for the CDC to get back to me about the PHAP program, I ended up accepting a very nice job offer working in public health. Oddly enough, I'm actually working on a CDC funded grant. So, lucky for one of you, I'm turning my offer down.
haha congratulations. the cdc was meant for you in several different ways. thanks for letting us know!

Where were you going to be stationed?

Hi everyone! I got a phone call then an email right after.

I'll be in Albuquerque New Mexico in the Tribal and Territorial Support (OSTLTS).

Is there anyone who will be located in this area? I am actually very nervous and extremely excited!

Can someone please help me network? I am not familiar with my area so I was wondering does anyone know a good place to look into apartments? Any advice? What to expect? I got the memo that orientation might be over Skype this year. Any information to prepare for this all will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Hey! I found out yesterday that I was also placed in Albuquerque in the OSTLTS. I'm from CT and have been living in New Orleans for the past 5 years, so I know nothing about the place! Would also love any advice/what to expect, and would be interested in talking to the other PHAP fellows that got placed there!

Hi All - I have never posted to the forum, but I much appreciate having been able to follow along throughout the waiting process. I got an offer by phone on Thursday, and I was told I have to accept "in writing" in 3 days, or by the 26th. I have not yet received the email from HR though, detailing the job offer, etc, and that is tomorrow. Should I be worried? What is the "in writing" acceptance procedure? Should I try to send an email to HR?

Congratulations! I'm one of the 2015 PHAPs in ABQ. Btw, all PHAPs are OSTLTS lol. You should be getting your specific host site assignment soon. There are currently 3 of us in ABQ (two 2015s and one 2014) and 2 in Santa Fe (one 2015 and one 2014). Depending on where you are coming from, it's DEFINITELY different and will take a little time to adjust in different ways. I'm from the mid-Atlantic region...it's waaaayyyyyy different lol.

Don't be too nervous. In my short time here, it looks like the NE part of town or West of the Rio Grande are the best places to look for apartments. Let me know if you have any more specific questions. :)

Hi there! I also was placed in Albuquerque and am starting to look for apartments. Can you please clarify what the neighborhoods/areas are? (i.e. do you mean the entire part of town west of the rio grande is good?). Thanks!

Hey everyone!
First time posting here, but I have been reading this message board for months and it has been incredibly helpful!

I received a call last Tuesday with a job offer to Richmond, VA. I went ahead an accepted but I'm still deciding if this is what I want (kinda hard to make such a huge decision in just 2 days). I was already planning on moving to the DC area (from Minnesota) to pursue a PhD program at UMD-College Park. But now I'm not sure what to do! I have an MPH from Minnesota and am conflicted after reading what some of the others have written. Richmond is so close but still a bit too far from DC, which is where my husband will most likely be working.

Can anyone from Richmond who is there now or heading there give me any feedback? I already have experience and education in public health, however, this is an incredible opportunity so I don't want to brush it off. What kind of projects have you worked on? What's the work environment like?

As for the people headed to St. Paul or Denver - I've lived in both places so feel free to contact me with any questions!

Congratulations to everyone with offers and good luck to everyone still waiting! I will make a decision soon so there might be an opening in Richmond coming up....

Hi All... I was hoping that some of the current PHAPs that are also doing graduate work could talk a little about that? Are you attending in person, going online, etc? How stressful is it to do both? How financially feasible is it to do both?

Reactions: 1 users
Just got offered a position in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Am deciding between accepting this and continuing with my current plan of working with a public health NGO in Nicaragua through Princeton in Latin America (a one-year commitment vs. two years... not sure I'm ready to commit to living so far away for two years). Anyone have any thoughts on this decision? Thanks in advance & thanks to all who have been watching the thread!

Just got offered a position in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Am deciding between accepting this and continuing with my current plan of working with a public health NGO in Nicaragua through Princeton in Latin America (a one-year commitment vs. two years... not sure I'm ready to commit to living so far away for two years). Anyone have any thoughts on this decision? Thanks in advance & thanks to all who have been watching the thread!

I worked for a spell at the Dengue Branch in San Juan. If you have questions let me know! I was just there for field experience for my MPH for a month so I couldn't tell you specifics about PHAP, but I know the area, etc (if you're even at the Dengue Branch. There's another health department I'm not familiar with in San Juan but I met some people who worked there that were very nice!).

Hi all,
Does anybody have any information about how to go about/enrolling for FEHB health plan? I'm unable to complete the Health benefits registration section because I don't have a health plan as for now.

I worked for a spell at the Dengue Branch in San Juan. If you have questions let me know! I was just there for field experience for my MPH for a month so I couldn't tell you specifics about PHAP, but I know the area, etc (if you're even at the Dengue Branch. There's another health department I'm not familiar with in San Juan but I met some people who worked there that were very nice!).
I'd love to know more about what you were doing there-- mainly I'd like to know how office-y the job there was but any details you'd like to share would be helpful!

I'd love to know more about what you were doing there-- mainly I'd like to know how office-y the job there was but any details you'd like to share would be helpful!
Since the host site applications are subject to change each year, it'll probably be difficult to predict what each position will be like. You could be at a local health department office, at a CDC Quarantine Station, or some other site.
Hi all,
Does anybody have any information about how to go about/enrolling for FEHB health plan? I'm unable to complete the Health benefits registration section because I don't have a health plan as for now.
I didn't enroll, but if I remember correctly, the FEHB paperwork was completed during orientation for our class.

Hey Everyone! First time poster here but I have been keeping up with the thread and have loved reading all the feedback. I just got my placement in Richmond, VA and would love to link up with anyone else recently placed there and those already there. I'm coming in from NC but have very little exposure to the Richmond area. For those already in Richmond, where are the safest, and cheapest areas to live? Where do most associates tend to find accommodation? Where do most associates work? State Health Department? I'm looking forward to this opportunity and hoping it turns out great! Any feedback from you all would be greatly appreciated!

Hello! I received an offer on Friday by phone with my location, and I was told that my follow up email would contain more information about my assignment. I was hoping the email would contain my host site or specific program area, but it didn't! Has anyone who has received an offer been able to get this information? Thanks!

That's awesome! Yes! I am totally accepting, this is an opportunity that I will definitely not pass up. I understand the anxiety about making such a huge commitment. Coming from CO I imagine life on the east coast will be different but I am excited for the challenge. Please let me know if you decide to accept the offer, I would love to connect with a fellow Richmond Associate

Congrats on the offer! I just received my offer in Richmond as well! Would definitely love to link up and get to know a fellow Richmond Associated!

Hello! I received an offer on Friday by phone with my location, and I was told that my follow up email would contain more information about my assignment. I was hoping the email would contain my host site or specific program area, but it didn't! Has anyone who has received an offer been able to get this information? Thanks!
Congrats!! Where was your offer for?

Has anyone made a Facebook group for the 2016 cohort?

Hi all, does everyone have knowledge of their specific placement area yet? My offer says "Office for State, Tribal and Territorial Support (OSTLTS), Office of the Director", so I was wondering if everyone's offer reads something similar or if mine is just really vague. I assume the "Office of the Director" is just a general term that encompasses the entire department, correct? I'd ideally like to know generally what area I'll be working in.

Hi all, does everyone have knowledge of their specific placement area yet? My offer says "Office for State, Tribal and Territorial Support (OSTLTS), Office of the Director", so I was wondering if everyone's offer reads something similar or if mine is just really vague. I assume the "Office of the Director" is just a general term that encompasses the entire department, correct? I'd ideally like to know generally what area I'll be working in.
I got the same message so I didn't know what it meant. I wish I knew what I was doing or where i would be working at.

I'm still hoping for an offer :( lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone made a Facebook group for the 2016 cohort?

If someone wants to offer up their facebook email, I'll make a group! (I need to add at least one person to the group in order to create it).

I got the same message so I didn't know what it meant. I wish I knew what I was doing or where i would be working at.

PHAP is organized under the office of the director of OSTLTS, (office of state, territorial, local, and tribal support). So it has nothing to do with your program area placement unfortunately.

A couple of years ago they used to tell you your program area in your tentative offer but that was when the PHAP supervisors did the phone calls, not HR. If you're at a Quarantine Station, you can sometimes figure it out, but other than that, it'll likely be a ln unknown until the final offers.

However, your PHAP program area doesn't dictate what you do for the rest of your career, as the skills you learn are often transferable to other areas.

My tentative offer said the same thing - OSTLTS. I asked my HR person if it was possible to know anymore, and she told me I'll be with the Denver Public Health Department, but nothing further than that. As stated above, probably have to wait for final offers for full details.

I want to take this special moment to thank God for his favor today.I did received an email today and I will be with the Houston
I looked at the CDC PHAP map, to see where I could possibly be placed, within my assigned area. It might be helpful to you guys. The link is below:

http://www.cdc.gov/phap/meet_associates/assignments.html
I got an email this morning for a tentative offer with the OSTLTS in Houston Texas. I Thank God for his favor and grace. I wish all those who are still waiting good luck.

I want to take this special moment to thank God for his favor today.I did received an email today and I will be with the Houston

I got an email this morning for a tentative offer with the OSTLTS in Houston Texas. I Thank God for his favor and grace. I wish all those who are still waiting good luck.
Amen

Congrats on the offer! I just received my offer in Richmond as well! Would definitely love to link up and get to know a fellow Richmond Associated!
Congratulations! Yes we should chat a bit more! We can exchange info on here through messages if you'd like.

Amen to that! I am still patiently waiting and trusting in God's plan. He is faithful! Your thread just encouraged me. Congrats and continue to walk with him and he shall order your steps! God Bless :claps:

Reactions: 5 users
Hi there! I also was placed in Albuquerque and am starting to look for apartments. Can you please clarify what the neighborhoods/areas are? (i.e. do you mean the entire part of town west of the rio grande is good?). Thanks!

Well, there are pockets of good any bad all over town (like any other place). I haven't been to the west side of town in a while, so I wouldn't really know. If you can make a trip to ABQ before you get here to explore a bit, that would be really helpful to you. The NE part of town is fine to me. Looking near the University may be cheaper. Not sure about downtown...I don't have a need to go over there a lot.

If you can't make a trip out, Google Street View a few areas to get an idea. Also check out the local news stations to see what's going on and where around here. Useful info to all PHAPs ;) Start looking near your host site if you have those details yet.

Amen!

Congrats to all!

Amen! He might not come when we want him, but one thing is for sure he's always on time. I am so happy for you. May God blessed all of the people still waiting. I am still waiting and holding on to my faith.:D