2016 PHAP (Public Health Associate Program) application - General discussion thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curryo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that most of you who planned to apply to the 2016 round of PHAP have done so already, so here's a place to discuss the process from here on out!

Some things to get us started:

Current associates:
-How did the application process go for you? What factors about your resume/interviews/etc do you think made you successful?
-Can you describe what your placement has been like?

Anyone who has applied and been rejected:
-Did they send you an email that you were rejected, or just not send anything?
-What would you do differently if you could try again?

Everyone in the current application cycle:
-Ask any questions you might have
-Share frustrations/concerns
-Keep us posted when you are notified by the CDC about moving to the next round!

Best of luck everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sure that most of you who planned to apply to the 2016 round of PHAP have done so already, so here's a place to discuss the process from here on out!

Current associates:
-How did the application process go for you? What factors about your resume/interviews/etc do you think made you successful?

-Keep us posted when you are notified by the CDC about moving to the next round!

Best of luck everyone!!

Hello curryo, thanks for starting a new thread. I did apply! Now exploring other options as it may not happen...

It's so slow process, I don't understand but anyone who understands government...would not be applying for this, eh?!

Hope more people will share their experience, especially the current or former associates. That will be good.

Good luck everyone who have applied.

Cheers,
Jacn

I'm a current associate and I just heard that 3470 applicants applied this year (highest in the past 3 years!). Good luck y'all! It's definitely a long process but the process is getting better each year. :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Current associates:

Best of luck everyone!!

Checking in, I was in PHAP, now I'm back in school. Everything I post here is my own thoughts, I'm not trying to be a representative of the program. I'm not on SDN too often, but if you guys have any questions, I'll try to respond.

It's a long app process, so get ready. Just personal opinion, but I think a major part of why I was accepted was my clear plan to make public health part of my career. The program doesn't just want to train future CDC employees, it also wants to increase public health workforce in general (state, local health departments, NGOs, other governmental agencies, medicine, etc).

Most placements are positive, especially if the associate is willing to put in a lot of effort. I got experience at a local HD and a CDC site, both of which were good. But remember the placements are pretty broad. Some of us were going door to door in the swamps of Florida assisting with drawing titers for dengue, some were testing water supplies, some were creating a statewide electronic reporting system for reportable diseases. Be motivated and flexible.

I'm a current associate and I just heard that over 3000 applicants applied this year. Good luck y'all! It's definitely a long process but the process is getting better each year. :)

Wow 3000 applicants! I really hope to get in. Thanks for posting...

What do the candidates look like how heavily is it weighted on GPA? My undergraduate GPA was not spectacular but my master is 3.67 and I have 2 years experience in the health care field focused on promotion and education now. How competitive will that make me? Will my masters GPA matter more than undergrad? Does anyone have any field back that's a current or previous phap ? What matters most?

What do the candidates look like how heavily is it weighted on GPA? My undergraduate GPA was not spectacular but my master is 3.67 and I have 2 years experience in the health care field focused on promotion and education now. How competitive will that make me? Will my masters GPA matter more than undergrad? Does anyone have any field back that's a current or previous phap ? What matters most?

I think the organizers are looking for "best-fit" candidates. I think your masters GPA show that you are smart and are capable. I think you have a good shot at advancing to the next stage, which is the personal statement. Just hold on tight til then. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I think the organizers are looking for "best-fit" candidates. I think your masters GPA show that you are smart and are capable. I think you have a good shot at advancing to the next stage, which is the personal statement. Just hold on tight til then. :)
Thanks so much :)

Hi everyone! Has anyone heard back after Phase I of the application? Thanks!

Just seconding what's been said: I applied last year and was offered a placement, and I'll just say that my undergrad GPA was less than the GPA you referenced; "best fit" is probably what they were looking for, just thinking back to my experience, personal statement responses, and interview. I wound up turning down the PHAP offer last year for multiple reasons (wasn't as financially ready to relocate as I thought I would be, and I was offered another national service opportunity). However, I applied again for this year, so we'll see what happens! Hoping they don't hold it against me that I was offered a placement last year and turned down the position; I feel fully ready to accept if I can make it through the selection process again!

Hi everyone! Has anyone heard back after Phase I of the application? Thanks!

Haven't heard back yet, but according to my email records, last year I was notified on March 9th when I moved on to the second round. I'm guessing we can expect notification within the next couple of weeks!

Haven't heard back yet, but according to my email records, last year I was notified on March 9th when I moved on to the second round. I'm guessing we can expect notification within the next couple of weeks!
Since you were accepted into the program last year, what additional information do they ask for during the second step of the process besides the personal statement?

Since you were accepted into the program last year, what additional information do they ask for during the second step of the process besides the personal statement?

Hi Everyone, I have also applied for the 2016 program . It is so nice to have a place to go to check in with other applicants. We are getting close to finding out about referrals. I am really excited! I talked to HR this morning and they said they should be done rating applicants by 25 Feb. So I agree with earlier posts that we should start to hear about moving on to the next step sometime in March.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone, I have also applied for the 2016 program . It is so nice to have a place to go to check in with other applicants. We are getting close to finding out about referrals. I am really excited! I talked to HR this morning and they said they should be done rating applicants by 25 Feb. So I agree with earlier posts that we should start to hear about moving on to the next step sometime in March.

Hey everyone, if they are releasing ratings tomorrow, I'd recommend reading some of the information on rating from last year's thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2015-phap-application.1117792/

I don't claim to be an expert on USAJobs, but there's some decent background on there.

c923ae66a1973f64b6f284f94508be36.jpg

I got an e-mail from USA jobs this morning. For two "types" it says NR- not referred, but for one "type" it says referred. I logged onto my application status and It changed from received to referred so I think that means I'm moving on? Hopefully they will send out an actual e-mail; I think this was generated directly through USAJobs. Anyway make sure to check e-mails today!

Good morning everyone! I just received my letter that states I'm eligible for PHAP!

I got an e-mail from USA jobs this morning. For two "types" it says NR- not referred, but for one "type" it says referred. I logged onto my application status and It changed from received to referred so I think that means I'm moving on? Hopefully they will send out an actual e-mail; I think this was generated directly through USAJobs. Anyway make sure to check e-mails today!
I received the same thing too!

Same with me! One "EL," one "R," and two "NRs." Not sure exactly what this means :nailbiting:

Hey everyone! I also got the same email. It looks like in the past they've sent out an email with a link to login to another portal (for those moving on). Hopefully we'll get another email soon!

I received the email as well. After speaking with a former PHAP fellow, it appears that we have advanced to the next round. Congrats, everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
I received the email as well. After speaking with a former PHAP fellow, it appears that we have advanced to the next round. Congrats, everyone!

I also received the email, so what should we do now? Do we just wait for a follow up email? Congrats to everyone who is moving on.

I received this email as well and was unsure at first. After checking my status on the website it says referred! Waiting on the email regarding the personal statement. Congratulations everyone!

Hey ya'll! I just got the same email as well! Thank goodness for this thread. I thought I wasn't referred for a second but I compared my letter to the ones on here and realized that I was referred when I checked my application status.

I also got that email... I've never understood those emails from USAJobs lol. I think I am referred because it says "referred" on the usajobs site but that email is confusing.

No idea why it appears that way. It's really a waiting game until you get the portal email from PHAP itself unfortunately. Try to stay sane everyone, it's still a long road ahead before anyone is hired.

Hello all! I got the same email, so if that means what we think it means, congrats everyone! :)

Sorry for the delayed reply on this! I'm new to the forum and didn't have notifications set up yet.

Last year, looking back on my records, in the second step of the process the personal statement was the only information they asked for (which if I remember correctly, wound up being formatted as three separate 250 word responses, not necessarily a cohesive 750 word response). Then in the third round (interview stage), we were also asked to submit our top 3 regional geographic preferences. As some people here have speculated, I got notified last year first through USA Jobs but then received a separate email from PHAP with instructions about the personal statement. I got the referral letter this morning, too, so hoping that means I'm on to the second round again!

Not sure if anyone else has seen this but I found this website that lists March 13, 2016 as the deadline for submitting the personal statements. Guess that means something should be happening soon!

https://fms.cdc.gov/Legacy/Application/PHAP/ApplicationInstructions.aspx

EDIT: For some reason now when I try to go to that page, nothing shows up? So weird, I swear there was a whole page of information when I looked! :uhno:

I still haven't received anything in regards to referrals mine still says received does anyone know if it happens all in the same day? If I received nothing does that mean I didn't advance?

So I applied on USAJobs, and my application status says referred. In the email, I got two Not Referred" and one "Referred." So do I just wait for another email? Because on USAJobs it says referred. Also, do I need to make an account with CDC? Just a bit confused right now.

So I applied on USAJobs, and my application status says referred. In the email, I got two Not Referred" and one "Referred." So do I just wait for another email? Because on USAJobs it says referred. Also, do I need to make an account with CDC? Just a bit confused right now.

We all have received that same thing as you and won't know anything more until we get a more specific email from the program requesting a Personal Statement.

I also received the confusing "NR" and "R" e-mail. I called the HR help desk and they told me that I was referred, which was consistent to the status on USA Jobs.

The "NR" meant that I was Not Referred as a veteran. The "R" meant that I was referred in general. The women from HR told me that many applicants were confused by this e-mail.

So in conclusion, don't worry about the e-mail and just go off the status on USA Jobs. Hope that is helpful!

I received the email yesterday morning, but I received 2 same exact emails super early this morning. I checked the Application Manager portal and now I have 2 referral letters (exactly the same, again). Still no word on the Personal Statement. Updates, anyone?

Hi,

I received the same email at the weeee hours of the morning and then my application status was changed to referred!! And from reading previous post being "referred" is a good thing :) I haven't receive anything in regards of submitting a statement or such, but I am checking my email like hawk

Sorry for the delayed reply on this! I'm new to the forum and didn't have notifications set up yet.

Last year, looking back on my records, in the second step of the process the personal statement was the only information they asked for (which if I remember correctly, wound up being formatted as three separate 250 word responses, not necessarily a cohesive 750 word response). Then in the third round (interview stage), we were also asked to submit our top 3 regional geographic preferences. As some people here have speculated, I got notified last year first through USA Jobs but then received a separate email from PHAP with instructions about the personal statement. I got the referral letter this morning, too, so hoping that means I'm on to the second round again!

Can you elaborate a bit on the interview process...eventhough I've just been referred I feel like I have to prepare myself haha, I am so anxious and I really hope that I get to join the program

Checking in, I was in PHAP, now I'm back in school. Everything I post here is my own thoughts, I'm not trying to be a representative of the program. I'm not on SDN too often, but if you guys have any questions, I'll try to respond.

It's a long app process, so get ready. Just personal opinion, but I think a major part of why I was accepted was my clear plan to make public health part of my career. The program doesn't just want to train future CDC employees, it also wants to increase public health workforce in general (state, local health departments, NGOs, other governmental agencies, medicine, etc).

Most placements are positive, especially if the associate is willing to put in a lot of effort. I got experience at a local HD and a CDC site, both of which were good. But remember the placements are pretty broad. Some of us were going door to door in the swamps of Florida assisting with drawing titers for dengue, some were testing water supplies, some were creating a statewide electronic reporting system for reportable diseases. Be motivated and flexible.

Hi,

And thank you for sharing your thought with us!

If you can, can you please elaborate on the interview process, is it more critical thinking or based upon once experience. Do they give you time to respond?!

Has anyone actually received an email from PHAP?

Hi,

And thank you for sharing your thought with us!

If you can, can you please elaborate on the interview process, is it more critical thinking or based upon once experience. Do they give you time to respond?!

I think the interviews have been changed since I applied. I'd plan on the usual interview questions and some based on professional judgement, but I'm not sure. I think they'll all be Skype again this year.

I received an email today saying I need to submit my personal statement.

I just received my email! Good luck everyone!

I just received my personal statement invitation, but I can't open the attachment....Is anyone having the same problem?!

Just got the same email but the attachment won't open.

So, I just got off the phone with them and they stated that the link had an issue and that they reported the issue to the coordinator of the program....not sure what happens after that

I was referred no email yet for personal statement :( did they stop emailing due to the link does anyone know?

I just received my personal statement invitation, but I can't open the attachment....Is anyone having the same problem?!

I am! even when I try to open it with outlook its asking me to connect to some weird CDC server

So, I just got off the phone with them and they stated that the link had an issue and that they reported the issue to the coordinator of the program....not sure what happens after that

Thats a relief, hopefully? I tried calling but just got an answering machine. The format that they attached the message with (rms) appears to need you to have login credentials to a cdc server (rms.cdc.gov). Hopefully they figure out what is going on. Did anyone NOT have this problem?