2016-2017 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got word that the final admissions committee meetings to make decisions are underway. For those who've interviewed, time to ramp up your prayers! One month left!
Also, next Friday is the last day of interviews, so it's safe to say at this point that all IIs are done.
Will the final admissions committee meeting happen after all the interviews are done?

Members don't see this ad.

Will the final admissions committee meeting happen after all the interviews are done?
There are a series of meetings to discuss all applicants who have interviewed. It's a long process that's already started.

There are a series of meetings to discuss all applicants who have interviewed. It's a long process that's already started.
Ugh >.< My PI is sending in an extra rec w/ some updates for me later this week... hopefully it is going to make it in time!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that have interviewed.. Is it customary to send some sort of thank you note/letter/email? I genuinely want to thank my interviewers, so I wasn't sure if it would be out of place to send them an email (or letter)...

For those that have interviewed.. Is it customary to send some sort of thank you note/letter/email? I genuinely want to thank my interviewers, so I wasn't sure if it would be out of place to send them an email (or letter)...

Send them an email. Keep it short and sweet.

Doesn't matter, do whatever you want

For any medical students on this page, out of my own curiosity, what's the percentage of Trump supporters at this campus?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
For any medical students on this page, out of my own curiosity, what's the personage of Trump supporters at this campus?

Donald trump would say 100% if that means anything to you. Yuge support from Yale, yuge!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
We don't really hang out with the rest of the University that often so I couldn't tell you how many Trump supporters there are around. I would bet that they are in the overwhelming minority (if even that) on campus. The two I've met personally are your average white graduate students, nothing interesting in particular.

Thank you. I want to ensure that I choose an institution that is a safe space for me as a woman of color.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. I want to ensure that I choose an institution that is a safe space for me as a woman of color.

You're kidding, right? You don't believe that a message board can tell you if a place is safe for you, based on single source reporting of some students alleged political leanings do you? That's so absurd that surely this can't be, especially for someone smart enough to get into medical school. Sounds more like a political troll.

Reactions: 2 users
If you are that fragile please don't come here.

Having said that, ysm really bends over backwards to make every student feel safe and respected.

And as far as political climate goes, I would classify Yale as the extreme left. There are a handful of libertarians and conservatives that tend to be less outspoken but you can find them if you really try. I'm unaware of any ardent trump supporters and would say if anything it's a less welcoming social environment for conservatives.

If you are that fragile please don't come here.

Having said that, ysm really bends over backwards to make every student feel safe and respected.

And as far as political climate goes, I would classify Yale as the extreme left. There are a handful of libertarians and conservatives that tend to be less outspoken but you can find them if you really try. I'm unaware of any ardent trump supporters and would say if anything it's a less welcoming social environment for conservatives.
It's a troll, don't waste your breath. Either try to kill it with fire, or, failing that, ignore.

Reactions: 3 users
This is exactly the type of systematic oppression I have faced for years at my undergraduate institution and private boarding school.

Kinda presumptuous to assume all Trump supporters are racist, no?

Trump is the embodiment of white male privilege, rape culture, and Islamophobia. His supporters only wish to preserve their privilege and patriarchy and are offended by my equality. I refuse to share space with those who help spread hate.

Ok, I'm all for conversations about systematic oppression, but this is so obviously trolling that it's an insult to when those conversations are genuine. Every single one of my POC friends was outraged by the Rachel Dolezol incident, and that's probably the last person they would pick as their avatar for a site like this. And really, BIGSHAWN joins today just to write this message? This reeks of trolling. I'm a fan of the actual Shaun King, don't do him an injustice.

Anyway, for everyone who's on this thread, :troll: - move on with our discussion. I respect the conversations about privilege too much to allow them to be hijacked and mocked in a sphere like this.

In other news, how about that Yale research year, huh?? What are you guys going to write your thesis on? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Reactions: 3 users
In other news, how about that Yale research year, huh?? What are you guys going to write your thesis on? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

I'd like to write about the health effects of waiting this long for an admissions decision.

Also, this is my first post on sdn, so hey guys. I interviewed in September and really enjoyed it. The wait is almost over.

I'd like to write about the health effects of waiting this long for an admissions decision.

Also, this is my first post on sdn, so hey guys. I interviewed in September and really enjoyed it. The wait is almost over.

Yeah i interviewed in September and the wait has been death. The fact that they tell everyone on the same day is great if you interview in Jan/Feb but awful if you interview in September.

Yeah i interviewed in September and the wait has been death. The fact that they tell everyone on the same day is great if you interview in Jan/Feb but awful if you interview in September.

Isn't the decision day march 9? I can't even remember anymore.

Isn't the decision day march 9? I can't even remember anymore.

Yeah I believe it's March 9. At least we know the specific day and don't have to check our emails every second of every day

That wasn't even a funny troll. Not creative or nearly as insulting or blindly stupid enough. 1/10 would not try again

When is the deadline to submit the CSS for Yale? Not before we hear back about admission, right?

When is the deadline to submit the CSS for Yale? Not before we hear back about admission, right?
I remember them saying to have it done before your offer of admission (it says this on their website somewhere too) so that they can do your package ASAP if you are accepted. I've submitted mine already. But I'm sure it's no big deal to submit after

I assume March 9 is also the date for MD/PhD applicants as well?
Yup
Filing early before April just means you'l get your estimate a little earlier. I would personally wait until decisions are out at this point before submitting fin aid stuff. I just spoke to financial aid people this week. They're slammed b/c the interim director is dividing up his time between two professional schools while the search for a permanent director continues. Won't make a difference imo

If we have an update right now, should we send it to the admissions email or should we upload it to the portal?

Sent from my Redmi Pro using SDN mobile

If we have an update right now, should we send it to the admissions email or should we upload it to the portal?

Just my opinion, why not just wait till decisions are released on Thursday? since at this point, most if not all, decisions have been made

Where did the Thursday date come from? Based on previous years, I figured decisions would be out tomorrow.

Just my opinion, why not just wait till decisions are released on Thursday? since at this point, most if not all, decisions have been made
Yeah I know but I did have some recent achievements that I'd like to update the Committee with

Decisions come out on Thursday. I would personally not worry about sending in an update at this point. The week leading up to decisions release at any school is about as hectic as the season gets. The chances that 1) it is read thoroughly (though this is likely as an independent event) AND 2) it will be a critical factor in determining your admissions results...is very very very low at this point in the game.

Decisions come out on Thursday. I would personally not worry about sending in an update at this point. The week leading up to decisions release at any school is about as hectic as the season gets. The chances that 1) it is read thoroughly (though this is likely as an independent event) AND 2) it will be a critical factor in determining your admissions results...is very very very low at this point in the game.
Alright, thanks for the advice!
I'll just send it in later then

Do they call accepted students or email only? (wondering how attentive I need to be to my phone Thurs)

Checked portal on a whim and there was a decision tab said I was waitlisted but now it is gone. Anyone else's portal change????

I checked it also on a whim about 40 min ago but was no extra tab