2016-2017 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure it was discussed in my interview that both M3's and M4's are allowed to transfer to another state for rotations. It did seem like it was on a limited basis depending on where you're from. The example they used were med students who originally lived in California. I guess it's fairly common because of the great hospital systems there that can closely follow curriculum guidelines. As far as just wanting to relocate to a new area, I'm not too sure about that scenario.

Yes, thats right :) students do get an elective rotation and can do this out of state. I do believe we are only allowed one elective rotation though. A few matched M4s i talked to did recommend to do an elective OOS if you plan to apply to residency at that location. (ie if you want a residency spot in california, go do your elective in california).

Members don't see this ad.

G'day. Reporting that I am on the Wayne WL too. I've been on it so long, I almost forgot...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Class of 2020 is already 45% OOS/International based on data the school presented during orientation. How much more can a public school push that ratio while still meeting state requirements for educating Michigan doctors? I know they are trying to reach out for more OOS applicants, but I doubt they are going to increase OOS seats by that much more. Where have you been hearing this?

This hasn't been stated explicitly, but I do get the vibe that this is the direction they're trying to head towards, especially since they've recently cut OOS tuition to better recruit students. I do think they're trying to go with the "MichiganMed" admissions model where they try to use the OOS pool to recruit high-performing applicants who may go back and carry the "WayneMed" brand name.

Hello all. I was just re-reading my wait list email and saw this line:
"If you matriculate into any U.S. allopathic or osteopathic school of medicine during the present application year, your application will be withdrawn from any further consideration."
Does this worry anyone? Wayne is currently my top choice... but if I possibly end up going to MSUCOM which starts in June, this would be an issue. I have heard of med students starting school and then being accepted and going to another one. On the rare chance this was to happen to me, this was also what I was planning to do...
...Or am I just being neurotic?

Hello all. I was just re-reading my wait list email and saw this line:
"If you matriculate into any U.S. allopathic or osteopathic school of medicine during the present application year, your application will be withdrawn from any further consideration."
Does this worry anyone? Wayne is currently my top choice... but if I possibly end up going to MSUCOM which starts in June, this would be an issue. I have heard of med students starting school and then being accepted and going to another one. On the rare chance this was to happen to me, this was also what I was planning to do...
...Or am I just being neurotic?
How would they know about a DO acceptance and start date?

How do all the current students think the dissolution of the partnership with DMC will affect them? Also, as an oos-er I'm not entirely sure a) what exactly is going on there? I thought they were trying to negotiate the contract and then all of a sudden it was dead? And b) how much of the strength of Wayne's clinical excellence came from the DMC partnership? What are the remaining partnerships which will fill the gap that DMC leaves?

How do all the current students think the dissolution of the partnership with DMC will affect them? Also, as an oos-er I'm not entirely sure a) what exactly is going on there? I thought they were trying to negotiate the contract and then all of a sudden it was dead? And b) how much of the strength of Wayne's clinical excellence came from the DMC partnership? What are the remaining partnerships which will fill the gap that DMC leaves?
Good questions.

Reactions: 1 user

We just had a town hall meeting about this a week ago. Nothing... absolutely nothing is affecting the students. The DMC still remains committed to training WSUSOM students. It is only at the higher levels. They're squabbling over nickels and dimes.

Reactions: 2 users

The dissolution of contract with DMC which will happen next year, only affects WSU SOM faculty who practice there. It does NOT have anything to do with the students.

Class of 2020 is already 45% OOS/International based on data the school presented during orientation. How much more can a public school push that ratio while still meeting state requirements for educating Michigan doctors? I know they are trying to reach out for more OOS applicants, but I doubt they are going to increase OOS seats by that much more. Where have you been hearing this?
Looks like someone didn't go to a REQUIRED event...who did you get to swipe in for you? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, thats right :) students do get an elective rotation and can do this out of state. I do believe we are only allowed one elective rotation though. A few matched M4s i talked to did recommend to do an elective OOS if you plan to apply to residency at that location. (ie if you want a residency spot in california, go do your elective in california).

Sorry, I'd like to correct myself. We get to do 2 or 3 external rotations

Rejected via email at 8:30am this morning. Been complete since July 20th. Good luck to you all!

Sorry, I'd like to correct myself. We get to do 2 or 3 external rotations
Thank you! I was thinking that 1 seemed a bit low but this is great news. I suppose you could knock them out over the summer months in time for the eras app if you wanted to. Fourth year typically begins in April/May, correct?

Rejected this morning as well. Complete early Aug

And that puts an end to my application cycle. Best of luck to the rest of y'all

I really hope that means that those of us with no acceptances get bumped up a few spots on Wayne's wait list since there will be a 100% chance of us going there...
I highly highly doubt schools take you having been accepted elsewhere into consideration when making their decision to take you off the waitlist or move you up. I think that's pretty much determined by accepted students withdrawing, or higher ranked waitlisted students withdrawing.

Reactions: 3 users
I called the admissions committee today and asked four questions and got four answers. Here's three of those four questions.

"Are there two separate wait-lists, one for out of state-ers and one for in-state-ers?"

Answer - "They're all the same."

"Is the next decision date March 16?"

"Yes. The committee meets on March 16. Admissions decisions will be sent out later than that."

"Have more than 740 interviews been completed?"

Answer - "A little more than 900 have been completed."

Assuming that they accept the same number as they did last year (559 - a big assumption to make), assuming that a little over 900 means something like 910 (a smaller assumption), and assuming that the admissions tracker is current on acceptances, though not on completed interviews (a big assumption to make, but perhaps a warranted one, considering that the class size is 286 and many people have yet to withdraw their acceptances before May), the probability of getting drawn for acceptance out of hat (no other factors coming into play, is (559 future and present acceptances - 328 presently given acceptances)/(910 people interviewed - 328 acceptances given to people who interviewed), which is 231/582, which is 39.7%

So whatever that means.

Reactions: 4 users
I called the admissions committee today and asked four questions and got four answers. Here's three of those four questions.

"Are there two separate wait-lists, one for out of state-ers and one for in-state-ers?"

"Yes. The committee meets on March 16. Admissions decisions will be sent out later than that."

Assuming that they accept the same number as they did last year (559 - a big assumption to make), assuming that a little over 900 means something like 910 (a smaller assumption), and assuming that the admissions tracker is current on acceptances, though not on completed interviews (a big assumption to make, but perhaps a warranted one, considering that the class size is 286 and many people have yet to withdraw their acceptances before May), the probability of getting drawn for acceptance out of hat (no other factors coming into play, is (559 future and present acceptances - 328 presently given acceptances)/(910 people interviewed - 328 acceptances given to people who interviewed), which is 231/582, which is 39.7%

So whatever that means.
LOL appreciate this, a ray of hope in what is turning out to be the most stressful time of life

Anyone know if Wayne prefers students with a Masters degree over students with just a BSc when picking from the waitlist?

So has anyone who interviewed from 1/27 onward actually received an acceptance or has it just been waitlists?

Anyone know if Wayne prefers students with a Masters degree over students with just a BSc when picking from the waitlist?

lol why would anyone know this? Were all in the same boat here. Just wish for the best.

So whatever that means.

So, I interviewed on Feb. 24th, but haven't gotten an email as far as admission decision goes. However, I randomly checked the portal just now and saw that an admission decision was made yesterday and I was placed on the waitlist. However, if the committee has yet to meet since I have interviewed, was I placed on the waitlist by default and I will get a final decision after they meet tomorrow, or did they meet yesterday instead, and make their decision?

So, I interviewed on Feb. 24th, but haven't gotten an email as far as admission decision goes. However, I randomly checked the portal just now and saw that an admission decision was made yesterday and I was placed on the waitlist. However, if the committee has yet to meet since I have interviewed, was I placed on the waitlist by default and I will get a final decision after they meet tomorrow, or did they meet yesterday instead, and make their decision?
The logical explanation seems to be that they've already met, and the 16th was a red herring date. But who knows, maybe I'm wrong!

Is there anyone else who has an admission decision in their portal?

I interviewed Feb 13 and got the waitlist email on that one day everyone was getting waitlisted ( I think the 24th of Feb), but only just had my portal updated to WL this past Monday as well

Just got accepted off the waitlist yesterday!

The email was very sparse on details. Does anyone know how detailed the mailed acceptance packet is?

Good luck to everyone else like me who got on the WL.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users

The email was very sparse on details. Does anyone know how detailed the mailed acceptance packet they mail out is?

Congrats! Hoping for the best for the rest of us too lol

The email was very sparse on details. Does anyone know how detailed the mailed acceptance packet they mail out is?

Congratulations. How long were you on the waitlist?

Congratulations !! Good to hear they started accepting people from the wait list.
Are you IS or OOS ? when were you put on the waitlist. Thanks

I am IS. I was put on the WL with that (apparently) decent sized group on Jan. 24th.

Just wanted to report that I interviewed on Feb 27 and was put on the waitlist on Mar 14. No email, but checked my portal just now. It seems like everyone from the later interview days (Jan and Feb) have mostly been waitlisted. Anyone know anyone that interviewed during this time and was accepted?

Also, on my interview day, we were told that the committee would meet and we would get a decision at the latest by March 17, so I suspect that the committee has already had their "March 16" meeting.

Fingers crossed for everyone waiting!

Just wanted to report that I interviewed on Feb 27 and was put on the waitlist on Mar 14. No email, but checked my portal just now. It seems like everyone from the later interview days (Jan and Feb) have mostly been waitlisted. Anyone know anyone that interviewed during this time and was accepted?

Also, on my interview day, we were told that the committee would meet and we would get a decision at the latest by March 17, so I suspect that the committee has already had their "March 16" meeting.

Fingers crossed for everyone waiting!

I went through last year's thread and noticed most people who interviewed Jan/Feb were waitlisted, but I said nothing, because I wanted all the last interviewees to go in with a positive mind set. I hate being a debbie downer, and this year could've been different for all I knew. Last year, there seemed to be a fair bit of waitlist movement after April 30th, around May 4th to be exact. Just try not to be that person who calls admissions on May 1st to ask about movement, because there is a ripple effect across all the schools as those holding multiple acceptances start to decline them. Good luck everyone, but I'm taking a break from SDN until May personally, when people with 10 acceptances finally start letting schools know they aren't going... :poke:

I am IS. I was put on the WL with that (apparently) decent sized group on Jan. 24th.
Congrats on getting in! A couple questions. When did you interview? Also, did you send them some sort of letter of intent or an update letter?

Congrats on getting in! A couple questions. When did you interview? Also, did you send them some sort of letter of intent or an update letter?

I interviewed on January 13th and I did not send any kind of letter in though I was in the process of writing one.

I know there is a lot of movement, usually, on the WL and my friend was accepted 2 years ago off the WL in June despite him getting on it relatively early. Good luck to those still waiting, hoping for the best!

Well, two more police officers were shot in Detroit yesterday. Only 8 blocks from the fatal shooting of the Wayne State police officer 4 months prior. Note to self, stay away from Detroit's east side...

Sent from my LG-H820 using SDN mobile

Well, two more police officers were shot in Detroit yesterday. Only 8 blocks from the fatal shooting of the Wayne State police officer 4 months prior. Note to self, stay away from Detroit's east side...

Sent from my LG-H820 using SDN mobile

Wayne State's campus is pretty safe. As long as you're not meandering around outside of the campus on foot, alone, and late at night, you'll be fine. It was ranked among the safest 50 campuses in the US.

We do get the occasional purse and wallet thieves inside the campus, but its sporadic and WSU Police has a response time of 90 seconds or something.

Wayne State's campus is pretty safe. As long as you're not meandering around outside of the campus on foot, alone, and late at night, you'll be fine. It was ranked among the safest 50 campuses in the US.

We do get the occasional purse and wallet thieves inside the campus, but its sporadic and WSU Police has a response time of 90 seconds or something.

Oh, I agree the campus is safe. The downtown area in general isn't bad. However, the surrounding area can get really bad, really quick.

As someone from Detroit I will second it is for the most part very safe. As with any city there are the bad areas but just be smart and don't put yourself in a compromising situation.

Waitlisted also from II on Feb 24th. Doesn't seem like they're flat out accepting anybody from January or February dates.

Does anyone know if WSU accepts letters of intent and if they accept additional letters of recommendation? Additionally, if they do does anyone know if they take them into consideration with regards to where you are on the waitlist? I know some schools will accept additional material but they basically don't look at it and or consider it.