2016-2017 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know a person that was accepted after orientation still at Wayne, but I have no proof that they still do it.

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Trust me its a thing because I know people its personally happened to, 2 weeks after the semester started. There are instances where people just don't show up to orientation and Wayne tries to fill the spots. Others end up dropping for many different reasons and an accepted student told me today that even Wayne doesn't know an exact class size number yet.

Alright well I wanted to realistically know what my chances were so I called and talked to some supervisor who told me never in the history of Wayne State School of Medicine have they accepted students after orientation. She said in rare circumstances they have accepted people off of the wait list during the first two days of orientation, but never on any day after that. So I'm not sure who told you they got in, but it definitely was not after orientation.

Alright well I wanted to realistically know what my chances were so I called and talked to some supervisor who told me never in the history of Wayne State School of Medicine have they accepted students after orientation. She said in rare circumstances they have accepted people off of the wait list during the first two days of orientation, but never on any day after that. So I'm not sure who told you they got in, but it definitely was not after orientation.

Did you get any concrete info from the supervisor about where you are on WL? Did you ask to speak to a supervisor?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

I just called them myself and they said that the last day they will send acceptances out is the 17th, and that they do NOT send any acceptances after that. She also told me that there is no concrete date that rejection letters will be sent out, but that it will probably be after the 17th.

I don't know who you spoke to because I've never heard of a supervisor there and I know everyone, but that's just flat out untrue. No use arguing about it, my point was that just because orientation starts Monday doesn't mean you're done. Normally a few students don't show up.

I don't know who you spoke to because I've never heard of a supervisor there and I know everyone, but that's just flat out untrue. No use arguing about it, my point was that just because orientation starts Monday doesn't mean you're done. Normally a few students don't show up.

You mean you don't know Dawn? The supervisor of the Admissions office who's literal title is "Supervisor of the Admissions Office"? I think you might be thinking of a different university because she's been there for ever. I was part of the BMS program and I've met with her many many times. It's really confusing to people if you spread false information and get their hopes up about getting accepted when that's just "flat out" untrue.

You mean you don't know Dawn? The supervisor of the Admissions office who's literal title is "Supervisor of the Admissions Office"? I think you might be thinking of a different university because she's been there for ever. I was part of the BMS program and I've met with her many many times. It's really confusing to people if you spread false information and get their hopes up about getting accepted when that's just "flat out" untrue.
Calm down, Donald Trump. I literally started my reply with "Not to give anyone false hope" so I'm not sure what your deal is. Also, Dawn is the same person who told me 3-4 weeks ago that Wayne isn't accepting anymore students and the class is full. Not to mention, if this office has such a "supervisor" then why are we calling and getting completely different answers and false hope all the time? Not a single person has ever gotten the same answer from what I've read. None of us believe are chances are great at this point anyway, but its better than no chance.

Anyone get an email saying they could not be reached by phone and to call back? I can't call back for a while but I'm freaking out.

sounds like an acceptance haha
I have no acceptance email though or portal change and the call was 8 hours ago.
I feel like I'll regret how high my hopes are right now haha.

I have no acceptance email though or portal change and the call was 8 hours ago.
I feel like I'll regret how high my hopes are right now haha.
sounds like you need to find a phone fast haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Calm down, Donald Trump. I literally started my reply with "Not to give anyone false hope" so I'm not sure what your deal is. Also, Dawn is the same person who told me 3-4 weeks ago that Wayne isn't accepting anymore students and the class is full. Not to mention, if this office has such a "supervisor" then why are we calling and getting completely different answers and false hope all the time? Not a single person has ever gotten the same answer from what I've read. None of us believe are chances are great at this point anyway, but its better than no chance.

Dude you should probably stop calling potential future classmates names on on online forum... also waynes very own site says the dawn person is supervisor of admissions.

People - Wayne State University

Reactions: 1 users
Dude you should probably stop calling potential future classmates names on on online forum... also waynes very own site says the dawn person is supervisor of admissions.

People - Wayne State University
Look, I get that Dawns official title is supervisor but let's try to not get lost in the semantics. The guy called me a liar just because of something Dawn said, when we all known Wayne refuses to give us any traight answers after months of waiting. Dawn told me in person the class is full 4 weeks ago and to reapply because Wayne won't be accepting anymore students with orientation so close. Obviously that wasn't the case and at least 10-15 more students were accepted. If you don't wanna believe me about the late acceptances after orientation starting that's fine, but I have seen it happen more than once. Also, if you're willing to believe everything is so set it stone then why read this thread at this point in the game?

Look, I get that Dawns official title is supervisor but let's try to not get lost in the semantics. The guy called me a liar just because of something Dawn said, when we all known Wayne refuses to give us any traight answers after months of waiting. Dawn told me in person the class is full 4 weeks ago and to reapply because Wayne won't be accepting anymore students with orientation so close. Obviously that wasn't the case and at least 10-15 more students were accepted. If you don't wanna believe me about the late acceptances after orientation starting that's fine, but I have seen it happen more than once. Also, if you're willing to believe everything is so set it stone then why read this thread at this point in the game?

Super high stress days for all us wait listers! Let's fill thread with positivity, information, and best wishes! ‍⚕️

It was an acceptance! My only one this cycle, can't believe it.

Reactions: 10 users
I think she said 1 week, might have been 2. I didn't really care about the date because I knew I would accept anyways haha.
That's crazy I would have figured this late in the game they'd be telling people 2 days or something. Regardless, congrats!!! You give me hope.

That's crazy I would have figured this late in the game they'd be telling people 2 days or something. Regardless, congrats!!! You give me hope.
Thanks man. To be honest I'm fuzzy on the timeframe, so don't quote me on that. But good luck to you and all other waitlisters.

Stopped by admissions today and it looks like tomorrow is the last day to hear anything. Good luck everyone.

Weird. When I called yesterday I was told that Monday would be the last day to hear anything.
Class is completely full and since orientation starts Monday and they close over the weekend then tomorrow is the day. She said it's extremely unlikely for anyone to be taken after day 1 of orientation even if people don't show. They would rather go with a smaller class then call and accept people she said, it makes no sense why they changed this policy.

Class is completely full and since orientation starts Monday and they close over the weekend then tomorrow is the day. She said it's extremely unlikely for anyone to be taken after day 1 of orientation even if people don't show. They would rather go with a smaller class then call and accept people she said, it makes no sense why they changed this policy.

They accepted more people today, but it seems like this whole list is just stats based and ranked on certain factors. I'm sure there are many , many students still waiting on the list. In some ways I'm disappointed by the process of leaving so many people hanging for so long-- but what can you do... good luck to all fellow waitlisters!

Interesting. Did she actually rule out Monday as a day for potential offers? If she said it's unlikely to be accepted after day 1 of orientation, then that still means people could get in on day 1 of orientation (Monday).

They accepted more people today, but it seems like this whole list is just stats based and ranked on certain factors. I'm sure there are many , many students still waiting on the list. In some ways I'm disappointed by the process of leaving so many people hanging for so long-- but what can you do... good luck to all fellow waitlisters!
Not that it matters now, but last year 80% of the students on the waitlist were accepted, according to a friend of mine who was one of those students and who has a friend on the admissions board. This year, it would appear to be different since they interviewed over 400 additional students compared to last year but kept the class size exactly the same. So that percentage is probably much lower this year. Sure enough, we'll just have to wait until tomorrow (or next week) to see if we'll be one of those lucky people.

Not that it matters now, but last year 80% of the students on the waitlist were accepted, according to a friend of mine who was one of those students and who has a friend on the admissions board. This year, it would appear to be different since they interviewed over 400 additional students compared to last year but kept the class size exactly the same. So that percentage is probably much lower this year. Sure enough, we'll just have to wait until tomorrow (or next week) to see if we'll be one of those lucky people.

They completed 884 interviews this season, not too far off from how many they did last season I think, they had about ~700+? It just seems the retention is much higher this year, can't say

They completed 884 interviews this season, not too far off from how many they did last season I think, they had about ~700+? It just seems the retention is much higher this year, can't say
OK I'm not sure why they told me on the phone that they interviewed an extra ~400. I just checked last year's numbers and they interviewed a total of 818 by the time the cycle was over. That's only 66 less interviews than they conducted this year. So hopefully that 80% number still stands. I could've sworn they interviewed a lot less people last year. My apologies for the misinformation.

OK I'm not sure why they told me on the phone that they interviewed an extra ~400. I just checked last year's numbers and they interviewed a total of 818 by the time the cycle was over. That's only 66 less interviews than they conducted this year. So hopefully that 80% number still stands. I could've sworn they interviewed a lot less people last year. My apologies for the misinformation.
Wasn't misinformation really, Wayne told me that too. The only thing is 80% movement still leaves probably 100 students on the wait list. She also ruled out Monday as a day for offers, saying they never really give offers after orientation has started. But this was the secretary so I don't know how reliable it is.

Did anyone call/ hear anything ?
I called today. They said they don't know when's the last time they'll be sending out offers. They have no clue if it'll be today or Monday or even if that'll be the last day. They just don't know anything.

I called today. They said they don't know when's the last time they'll be sending out offers. They have no clue if it'll be today or Monday or even if that'll be the last day. They just don't know anything.

Omg! The torture continues!

Hmmm. Seems over.

Strangely, I feel pretty good.

Yes, I feel a little angry at the outcome, but at the same time, I've never felt so motivated to succeed.

Been a pleasure everyone.
It ain't over 'til it's over!

How do I join the FB group? I sent a request but haven't heard anything.

Just called and they said it's over. They told me they are done sending out acceptances and will no longer send any more to people on the waitlist. Granted, I haven't received a rejection e-mail yet, but that's only a matter of time. Congratulations to everyone who got in.

Did anyone from the waitlist get a rejection email yet?? Class starts on Monday and I still haven't gotten one....

LOL. You haven't even applied yet, dude. Why are you being so hostile? And how are you really missing the irony in your tantrums since you're the one jumping down my throat for disagreeing with you?

But now you're just asking for it so here's some constructive criticism for you. You've taken the MCAT three times-- scoring between 27-29. I understand why you feel inadequate and how that could make you lash out at others who've worked hard, are more accomplished than you and have already earned their place in medical school, but don't. Find a way to have an application that is competitive so you don't have to knock others to make yourself feel better. How can you do that? Well, don't take the MCAT again; that's probably a waste. But focus on keeping/getting your grades high and get good experiences that you're dedicated to and round out your application. Make sure you apply to some d.o. schools because that mcat is tough for md schools.

This is my constructive advice to you. Perhaps take it and stay off forums that will only make you feel worse than you already do about your own chances of getting in. Focus on you--clearly a difficult thing for someone who blames "oos-ers taking [your] spot."

ETA: lol at the people who are jumping in because of this CONSTRUCTIVE post but have no issue with that non-applicant's inability to post WITHOUT personally insulting me. Y'all are heroes. I'm out. Good luck to those still waiting to hear....

Well hello there. I got accepted to GWU medical school today! You know at least I gave my MCAT score out unlike you- the self-proclaimed "low stat champion." You on the other hand refuse to show your "low stats" and you got the nerve to talk down to me LMAO

You asked for it bro ;)

Bullies never win.

Anyone know Wayne State’s normal trend? Do they WL many and then sort it all out later? Do they heavily pull from their WL?

Anyone know Wayne State’s normal trend? Do they WL many and then sort it all out later? Do they heavily pull from their WL?
Its hard to say, historically it seems like Wayne State always has large waitlist movement (I think the % Ive seen cited was in the neighborhood of 60-70%) but last year definitely broke that mold pretty significantly. Based on older SDN threads, it seemed like more than half the number of people reported being pulled from the WL last year than previous years.

Take that with a grain of salt, I didn't look into those numbers personally or feel like looking them up to confirm them. They match my overall perception of last cycle and what I remember people posting in this thread though. The only thing I can say concretely is that there was a significant decrease in WL movement last year.

Where do most students who attend live? Downtown or a surrounding suburb?