2016-2017 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
For current students: How early do you get clinical exposure here?

As soon as you step foot on campus: we had a clinical skills night the first week of school and started receiving emails for opportunities to volunteer in free clinics that same week as well.

Reactions: 4 users
Wayne Matched 97.3% of students which is well above national average. Looks like WSU SOM is heading in the right direction! Excited to go there.

Sent from my LG-H918 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Well, two more police officers were shot in Detroit yesterday. Only 8 blocks from the fatal shooting of the Wayne State police officer 4 months prior. Note to self, stay away from Detroit's east side...

Sent from my LG-H820 using SDN mobile
It is suspected (they have a DNA match so really it's all but confirmed) that the person who did the shooting last week is the same person that killed Officer Rose. I currently live on the same block as where the officer died, and it is pretty much the first bad thing I have ever seen happen in my 7 years of living here. Glad this guy is off the streets!

Reactions: 1 user
It is suspected (they have a DNA match so really it's all but confirmed) that the person who did the shooting last week is the same person that killed Officer Rose. I currently live on the same block as where the officer died, and it is pretty much the first bad thing I have ever seen happen in my 7 years of living here. Glad this guy is off the streets!

Geez, that's insane. What a scum bag. Though it makes me feel better that it was the same guy and not totally unrelated incidents.

Now that interviews are done, are there still set dates for committee meetings to review waitlisted applicants? Or do they not have another one until late April/Early May?

Wayne State's campus is pretty safe. As long as you're not meandering around outside of the campus on foot, alone, and late at night, you'll be fine. It was ranked among the safest 50 campuses in the US.

We do get the occasional purse and wallet thieves inside the campus, but its sporadic and WSU Police has a response time of 90 seconds or something.
During grad school there I was attacked with a glass bottle in the daylight on a Saturday in the flat lot across the street. I notified the guard in Scott Hall and he said "don't worry, it's probably just a mentally challenged person." So I called campus police who said " they would look into it." They didn't do anything. A month later a guy in my department was robbed at shotgun in front of Mazurek on his way home from lab. Just saying. Detroit is cleaning up, but there is still real danger.

During grad school there I was attacked with a glass bottle in the daylight on a Saturday in the flat lot across the street. I notified the guard in Scott Hall and he said "don't worry, it's probably just a mentally challenged person." So I called campus police who said " they would look into it." They didn't do anything. A month later a guy in my department was robbed at shotgun in front of Mazurek on his way home from lab. Just saying. Detroit is cleaning up, but there is still real danger.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I was at Wayne for 5 years as an undergraduate and I definitely heard of the occasional wallet thieves. Personally, the worst that I heard happen to me/my friends/acquaintances was that someone took my friend's jacket lol

Can't wait to start this July! I'm looking at places to live. Is Farmington Hills too far? My wife will also be attending Wayne (though not the medical school).

Depends on your penchant for commuting. Since you'll both be going to the same place every day, it will probably make the drive easier. Just keep in mind you'll probably be spending ~1 hr on the road each day.
With that being said, my wife and I are trying to buy a home in Berkley so I'll probably be spending ~40-45 minutes on the road each day. But coming from Los Angeles I'll be cutting my commute time down by more than half, so I'm stoked!

If you're still looking for areas to live, check out the Royal Oak area. So far it seems to be a great little town and slightly closer to campus.

Can't wait to start this July! I'm looking at places to live. Is Farmington Hills too far? My wife will also be attending Wayne (though not the medical school).

I think it would be around a 30 minute trip depending on traffic/construction (closer to 30 but Michigan winters tend to result in lots of traffic-inducing accidents so you never know how long you'll be stuck). It is certainly doable though I don't think I would try personally. I know some folks coming from Royal Oak and thats nearly a 20 minute commute. I would be shocked if there was no one commuting from that area.

Maybe when Wayne State decides to respect the state and locals laws that allow concealed carry things will get better faster. It's easy picking for criminals when they know you're walking out of a gun free zone.

Members don't see this ad :)

I commute from West Bloomfield myself which is right next door and there are a few people that commute from Farmington Hills as well. While Farmington is closeby, the hassle is with the rush-hour traffic you have to deal with when you have required things to be at 9 a.m. in the morning or when you get let out at 5 p.m: the drive can take a good hour sometimes then. Otherwise, it's only a 25 minutish drive away.

Let's not bring politics into this thread.

Maybe when Wayne State decides to respect the state and locals laws that allow concealed carry things will get better faster. It's easy picking for criminals when they know you're walking out of a gun free zone.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know some common places students live in ferndale/royal oak? Are those relatively safe places to live?

Let's not bring politics into this thread.

It's a campus safety issue, not politics. The law in Wayne County protects your right to defend yourself. The school does not comply with that law. That's essential information as people on this thread have made it clear that safety is a concern.

Anyone know some common places students live in ferndale/royal oak? Are those relatively safe places to live?
Royal Oak is generally nicer than Ferndale but both are safe areas.

I only felt that I was at a disadvantage during the Anatomy+Histology sequences. Otherwise, you don't have that many required things that start at 9 or get out at 5 (it was like that everyday for that sequence though).
Yikes, an hour commute. Do you think this puts you at a disadvantage? I mean, that's an hour less in the day you have to study.

Yikes, an hour commute. Do you think this puts you at a disadvantage? I mean, that's an hour less in the day you have to study.

Wayne State is a commuter school for Michiganders who live in southeast MI or Metro Detroit. If you live with your parents/SO, you don't have to waste time cooking, grocery shopping, etc. That alone, takes more than an hour.

The Admissions Tracker was just updated for the first time in weeks. I just refreshed it, and it now says 352 admission offers have been sent out, up from the previous 328 that was listed before I refreshed. That means only 24 more people have been accepted, which isn't a lot considering how much time has passed and that they're expected to send out >500 acceptance offers. I also wonder how many of those acceptances were taken off the waitlist?

Last edited:
The Admissions Tracker was just updated for the first time in weeks. I just refreshed it, and it now says 352 admission offers have been sent out, up from the previous 328 that was listed before I refreshed. That means only 24 more people have been accepted, which isn't a lot considering how much time has passed and that the class size is expected to be >500. I also wonder how many of those acceptances were taken off the waitlist?
The class size is definitely not 500.

Oops, my mistake--I did mean acceptance offers.

Are those stats still not totally up to date though? Because I thought they said recently that they were going to interview a little over 900 applicants by the time it was done. I know they are done interviewing, so I wonder if the tracker is still a few weeks behind.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Are those stats still not totally up to date though? Because I thought they said recently that they were going to interview a little over 900 applicants by the time it was done. I know they are done interviewing, so I wonder if the tracker is still a few weeks behind.

Maybe. Could also be that they only ended up doing that many interviews because of applicant cancellations

Where exactly is this tracker everyone keeps talking about?

Where exactly is this tracker everyone keeps talking about?
It's this little widget on the main admissions page
Screenshot_2017-03-23-21-19-07-1.png

It's a campus safety issue, not politics. The law in Wayne County protects your right to defend yourself. The school does not comply with that law. That's essential information as people on this thread have made it clear that safety is a concern.

Obvious troll is obvious - even concern trolling.

It worries me that any future physician would be unwilling to consider: more suicides are successful in countries with easier access to guns (even the mentally ill in many cases), the fact that cities with high regulation and gun violence are supplied by neighboring states less regulation, the fact that less regulation means fewer people trained on proper safety and storage, the fact that US arms sales are driving drug wars in South America as well as arming terrorists in the middle east...

But like I said - obvious concern trolling is obvious.

It worries me that any future physician would be unwilling to consider: more suicides are successful in countries with easier access to guns (even the mentally ill in many cases), the fact that cities with high regulation and gun violence are supplied by neighboring states less regulation, the fact that less regulation means fewer people trained on proper safety and storage, the fact that US arms sales are driving drug wars in South America as well as arming terrorists in the middle east...

I don't believe he was trolling. He might have included his own opinion on the matter, but Wayne's prohibition on the carrying of firearms is an important point to consider for some students and it is relevant to safety.

With regards to your worry, you are making claims about his future as a physician with no knowledge of whether he has considered those things. Also, they are not relevant to campus safety or this thread in general.

legal gun ownership in Detroit is driving drug wars in South America? Actually its driving down crime in the city

Detroit police chief: ‘No question in my mind’ legal gun ownership deters crime

I will not discuss this anyomore on this thread, it is an important issue in this city and for our patients. If you agree with me, please get involved with one of the organizations that support campus carry. Students for Concealed Carry — Advocating for the Right to Self-Defense on Campus and if not, then we can discuss at another time.

Last edited:
legal gun ownership in Detroit is driving drug wars in South America??? WAT?? Actually its driving down crime in the city

I will not discuss this anyomore on this thread, it is an important issue in this city and for our patients. If you agree with me, please get involved with one of the organizations that support campus carry. Students for Concealed Carry — Advocating for the Right to Self-Defense on Campus and if not, then we can discuss at another time.

Definitely demonstrating why my friends told me to stay away from SDN....

Mental illness and reduction of gun violence and suicide: bringing epidemiologic research to policy

Why Mexico’s drug cartels love America’s gun laws

I think we all can agree on the fact that campus safety is an important issue we all should attend to, though we all have different opinions on how we should go about it. Let this post be the final one on this topic just so that we don't deviate too much from the true intention of this thread.

I don't believe he was trolling. He might have included his own opinion on the matter, but Wayne's prohibition on the carrying of firearms is an important point to consider for some students and it is relevant to safety.

With regards to your worry, you are making claims about his future as a physician with no knowledge of whether he has considered those things. Also, they are not relevant to campus safety or this thread in general.

legal gun ownership in Detroit is driving drug wars in South America??? WAT?? Actually its driving down crime in the city

"You are making claims about his future as a physician with no knowledge of whether he has considered those things."

-Making blanket statements about gun ownership on a forum shows the issue has not been contemplated in any responsible manner whatsoever, plus the Pepe frog avatar is the troll calling card. Perhaps you are a sock puppet account to further de-rail this thread.

"Also, they are not relevant to campus safety or this thread in general."

-Wayne State has 3 police agencies policing the campus. It has been talked about repeatedly on this forum alone just how often the campus is patrolled, as well as that Wayne State is among the top 50 safest campuses is the US.

As far as "campus safety", potential students not being responsible enough to look at the studies (which says a lot about their responsibility as potential gun owners) definitely makes me feel less safe.

High gun ownership makes countries less safe, US study finds

I will only respond to refute erroneous claims as long as moderators allow this de-railing to continue.

Came for med school application help and opinions, getting nothing but political opinions lately lol :/

Can everyone please relax

Reactions: 3 users
Don't worry, me and my classmates are still here to answer any questions any of you may have! Politics here or not.

Came for med school application help and opinions, getting nothing but political opinions lately lol :/

Can everyone please relax

If you think Wayne is so dangerous then don't go there ! The truth is it probably is a little more risky than most states but I think it's worth the risk . If you don't then please leave the spot open for those who do !

General reminder--don't feed the troll. The troll has been banned.

Political discussions should be had in the appropriate forums. Please continue your discussion and have a nice weekend.

Reactions: 5 users
Guys.. Choosing between Wayne and a few other schools, any M1s or M2s lurking around here that can help with their reasons for choosing Wayne state? Any M3s can provide any info in how their rotations are, how hands on are they?
Also you can do in state tuition after the first year right? Can anyone confirm this? Thx in advance just trying to make a decision

Guys.. Choosing between Wayne and a few other schools, any M1s or M2s lurking around here that can help with their reasons for choosing Wayne state? Any M3s can provide any info in how their rotations are, how hands on are they?
Also you can do in state tuition after the first year right? Can anyone confirm this? Thx in advance just trying to make a decision
Just curious .. if you don't mind sharing .. what is your MCAT & GPA? Thank you ..

I don't believe you can get instate tuition after one year at any Michigan college while attending school. You must be domiciled in the state for at least one year before starting school. I can only think of Ohio and California that give you instate status after a year even while attending school.

Not a previous/current/pending Wayne State student, but relevant to the conversation:

Qualifying for in-state tuition - Wayne State University

Here's a document discussing residency status/application:

http://eli.wayne.edu/pdfs/residen-form.pdf

Of note from that document:

Presence for Educational Purposes: The presence in this state of a student from another state or country for the primary purpose of attending school is not residence. It is presumed that a non-resident at the time of his or her enrollment continues in that classification throughout his or her presence as a student, except where it can be established that presence in the State of Michigan is primarily for purposes that are not educational, with enrollment only incident to the primary purpose of establishing a domicile. If a student enrolls in undergraduate school for more that 8 credit hours, or in graduate school for more than 6 credit hours, or in Law School for more than 10 credit hours in any one full length term, within 6 months after arrival in Michigan, it is normally presumed that the student's sojourn is for the purpose of attending school and not to establish domicile. Applicants must demonstrate that their presence in Michigan is primarily for purposes that are not related to enrollment.

"You are making claims about his future as a physician with no knowledge of whether he has considered those things."

-Making blanket statements about gun ownership on a forum shows the issue has not been contemplated in any responsible manner whatsoever, plus the Pepe frog avatar is the troll calling card. Perhaps you are a sock puppet account to further de-rail this thread.

"Also, they are not relevant to campus safety or this thread in general."

-Wayne State has 3 police agencies policing the campus. It has been talked about repeatedly on this forum alone just how often the campus is patrolled, as well as that Wayne State is among the top 50 safest campuses is the US.

As far as "campus safety", potential students not being responsible enough to look at the studies (which says a lot about their responsibility as potential gun owners) definitely makes me feel less safe.

High gun ownership makes countries less safe, US study finds

I will only respond to refute erroneous claims as long as moderators allow this de-railing to continue.

the only one derailing the thread is you with nonsensical and irrelevant political opinions.

Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist recently?

Does anyone have apartment suggestions for Downtown or Midtown?