2016-2017 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called several times asking about it. Each time they said they would be sending it out the next day. Naturally, they have not. I have the Monday August 8th interview and they said to be at the Mazurek Commons by 12:30.

Thanks! I'll probably call tomorrow or Thursday and ask as well. I just noticed they updated the portal with my interview time/date.
See you on August 8th!

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone get an email from a Wayne State recruiter today?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey just got an email confirming my II for the 8th. I'm assuming others got it too. Wondering if anyone knows what the interviews are like this year? Last year it was just a 30min interview with a faculty member but I think I remember reading somewhere that this year the process changed. Think they're gonna do MMIs?

Hey just got an email confirming my II for the 8th. I'm assuming others got it too. Wondering if anyone knows what the interviews are like this year? Last year it was just a 30min interview with a faculty member but I think I remember reading somewhere that this year the process changed. Think they're gonna do MMIs?

@crathnam
If they changed to MMIs they have not updated their website yet. Really hoping they haven't changed the format. This is from their site:

Interview information
The Admission Committee may consist of clinicians, basic science faculty, medical students and medical school faculty.

Interviews are conducted by up to two members of the committee. Interviews are scheduled based on the interviewers' availability and will last from 30 to 60 minutes. Typically, interviews take place Monday through Friday in the morning or afternoon from September through February. If the day you are scheduled is inconvenient, please call and we will try to accommodate your schedule.

The interviewer has a complete application, including the secondary application with letters of recommendation and essays. Your interview is an opportunity for us to learn more about you than what is on paper. Your interviewer will then present your application to the entire committee and decisions will be released on the next offer day.

The interview was very chill last year; I hope they don't change to MMI. :l

@crathnam
If they changed to MMIs they have not updated their website yet. Really hoping they haven't changed the format. This is from their site:

Interview information
The Admission Committee may consist of clinicians, basic science faculty, medical students and medical school faculty.

Interviews are conducted by up to two members of the committee. Interviews are scheduled based on the interviewers' availability and will last from 30 to 60 minutes. Typically, interviews take place Monday through Friday in the morning or afternoon from September through February. If the day you are scheduled is inconvenient, please call and we will try to accommodate your schedule.

The interviewer has a complete application, including the secondary application with letters of recommendation and essays. Your interview is an opportunity for us to learn more about you than what is on paper. Your interviewer will then present your application to the entire committee and decisions will be released on the next offer day.
Thanks man! I saw that but know that there entire process is a little different this year (e.g. secondaries, IIs, etc) so thought that means their interviews might also be different. Not worrying too much about MMIs though. Pretty sure it'll be relaxing. Maybe the August 5th interviewees can give us some more info after this friday

So....here's the details for the interview:

"Your interview will consist of two parts, a long form discussion with a physician from our admissions committee and six multiple mini interviews. The day will also include a tour of our school and lunch with current medical students."

Guess they decided to do MMIs

No... Did you?
Yes, I responded back and said thanks for the info but was confused because I wasn't yet verified. Person said they send info to people who have shown interest.
App was Verified this morning :)

If I am a reapplicant to medical school but a first time applicant to Wayne State, do I need to fill out the question that says:

For Reapplicants Only: What academic, employment, volunteer experiences have you been engaged in since your last application to medical school? How does your current application differ from your previous application?

If I am a reapplicant to medical school but a first time applicant to Wayne State, do I need to fill out the question that says:

For Reapplicants Only: What academic, employment, volunteer experiences have you been engaged in since your last application to medical school? How does your current application differ from your previous application?

Yes

i say no. they won't know

Since they said "medical school" and not specifically Wayne State, that includes reapplicants to other medical schools as well. It won't hurt you that much if you have significant improvements. I filled out that question last year and got an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since they said "medical school" and not specifically Wayne State, that includes reapplicants to other medical schools as well. It won't hurt you that much if you have significant improvements. I filled out that question last year and got an interview.

Thanks, I decided to fill it out. Also, Does anyone know if you get penalized for being outside the recommended two week deadline for submission? I need to wait until I get paid tomorrow to submit but yesterday was two weeks..... I am barely getting by week to week financially with all the applications, so if its really going to hurt my chances I may as well save the money for another application.

I called and all the lady would tell me is, "I can't comment on the committees review process, but we do recommend all materials be submitted within two weeks." And I explained my situation and she said "well we do have plenty of other applicants who submit after the two weeks."

^Yes I did, but it won't apply to me since I'm active duty right now.
I'm kinda confused by it. I'm already a MI resident, and I also already uploaded my dd214 with my secondary. They should already have it on file. Idk if it's a different system, or if somehow it didn't go through.....

how long after app was verified did it take for yall to get a secondary?

You don't get a complete email from Wayne, do you?
I did not. However, my online application has the relevant boxes checked. I also called the admissions office to confirm that I'm complete.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone who interviewed today care to share any details?

Reactions: 2 users
I wish they would announce when they're going to send out II's. Some sort of status updates......

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted the secondary around July 23 but they had technical issues connecting my fee payment with my secondary app. I called the office this morning and a nice lady told me that my app was now complete and is under review. Haven't checked my portal yet so not sure if I have a complete status online.

Submitted my secondary on August 1st. Still hasn't updated that the secondary has been received, but all other info has been. I'm guessing it has something to do with the portal problems they've had. Anyone else experiencing this length of wait on the secondary processing (>9 days)?

Ya I have no idea if I'm complete at this school or not. Still says I haven't paid my fee.

Submitted my secondary on August 1st. Still hasn't updated that the secondary has been received, but all other info has been. I'm guessing it has something to do with the portal problems they've had. Anyone else experiencing this length of wait on the secondary processing (>9 days)?

I emailed them about this a few weeks ago. They said they were having errors with the fee and secondary connecting with the checklist. If you email them they will fix it for you manually. However, if you've paid the fee and submitted the secondary, you should be complete regardless of what the checklist says.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have this "Med School in for Review (MR)" under More Info on portal?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-10 at 7.29.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-10 at 7.29.21 PM.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 95
Did anyone receive an email from a wsusom recruiter? I assume everyone who signed up for the webinar got it.

+6

Makes me a little more comfortable that my app is actually considered complete

Did anyone receive an email from a wsusom recruiter? I assume everyone who signed up for the webinar got it.

I did! does his/her name start with an M?
I didn't sign up for the webinar thought.
Are you URM by chance?