2016-2017 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today! Scheduled for Aug 5th

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Mind sharing stats and IS status?

Instate applicant

MCAT 503, sGPA 2.89, 3.0/ grad sGPA 3.64

AMCAS verified 06/28
secondary received 07/11
secondary submitted 07/12

Reactions: 1 user
Urm? Unique EC's? Anything like that?

URM-yes
Nothing unique actually- very few hours of shadowing, tons of research in UG and grad school (this may be a high point of my application actually- now that I think about it). I do have an MPH from U of M . I know my LOR are BOMB tho, overall I'm pretty dope IJS and I know my recommenders said so..LOL

But really, I think I am very consistent and that all of my experiences have tied together perfectly to align with the things I am passionate about which I believe I was able to convey in my application.

Last edited:
Which date did you choose?

I chose August 8th. The interview doesn't start until 12:30 so I can be nice and rested, as well as have time to find exactly where I need to go.

My stats are kind of low, but I'd like to believe that I wrote some excellent essays that really appealed to their program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like the people who got interviews today are all VERY low stats? Which fits with Wayne State more.

Is WS known for screening people with too high of stats? As a Canadian, I was really hoping to get some love from Michigan schools :/

It seems like the people who got interviews today are all VERY low stats? Which fits with Wayne State more.

Is WS known for screening people with too high of stats? As a Canadian, I was really hoping to get some love from Michigan schools :/

SHADE! :laugh:

Nonetheless, I know that WS is known for having a pretty rigorous screening process and we all know high GPA doesn't equal good doc. there are many factors included in selection for an interview and GPA/MCAT are only two of those factors. Good luckI'm sure your VERY high stats will get you an interview at one of the 25 schools you applied to

Reactions: 4 users
Sorry, not to make light of your II or anything.

I'm just a bit discouraged with seeing people so far from my own stats getting II. I wonder if they have passed over high stats for yield protection?

Like I know @chrisjh is IS and high stat (correct?)

Edit: Although from reading your post your II is most definitely deserved given your masters and research

Last edited:
I chose August 8th. The interview doesn't start until 12:30 so I can be nice and rested, as well as have time to find exactly where I need to go.

My stats are kind of embarrassing. LizzyM<59, but I'd like to believe that I wrote some excellent essays that really appealed to their program.
When did you submit your secondary?

I also got an interview invite. LizzyM > 73, IS, non-URM. I'm also a reapplicant to WSUSOM and have gotten in before so expected to not get an II after rejecting their offer. Nonetheless, I'm delighted!

EDIT: Secondary received on 7/13, Submitted on 7/25

II. I went to an ivy had a 3.8 and scored well on the MCAT (mid 30s) so no they did not screen out high stats. In state though

I also got an interview invite. LizzyM > 73, IS, non-URM. I'm also a reapplicant to WSUSOM and have gotten in before so expected to not get an II after rejecting their offer. Nonetheless, I'm delighted!

EDIT: Secondary received on 7/13, Submitted on 7/25
What date did you choose?

@drwhite

No, they have not sent me a confirmation email yet. If I don't get one within the next few hours I'll probably call to follow up.

Are your secondary application payments still marked as "not received"?

I called their office about this and they said as long as we received e-mail confirmations of the payment that it processed and not to worry. But I may start to worry if I don't hear anything from them hah

P.S. I submitted on the 14th...

I called their office about this and they said as long as we received e-mail confirmations of the payment that it processed and not to worry. But I may start to worry if I don't hear anything from them hah
I submitted all my required stuff and secondary on the 18th, but it didn't show as completed on their site until the 20th.

What date did you choose?
Chose August 8th because I have some stuff going on from the 5th-6th in Pittsburgh before coming home for the interview.

I submitted all my required stuff and secondary on the 18th, but it didn't show as completed on their site until the 20th.
I don't think you should worry. Maybe they gave me an early interview because I have a sister that goes there too? Not sure, but your stats seem to be the same as mine and I'm confident your ECs are as good if not better than mine. I wish you the best and know you'll get an interview.

So just to be clear, your application payment shows as complete, too? It it just my payment that shows as incomplete?

I just want to make sure my app is getting processed, this secondary portal is frustrating:(

Mine still shows as incomplete... for some reason. Can't upload technical standards pdf either.

P.S. I submitted on the 14th...

So just to be clear, your application payment shows as complete, too? It it just my payment that shows as incomplete?

I just want to make sure my app is getting processed, this secondary portal is frustrating:(

Mine still shows as incomplete... for some reason. Can't upload technical standards pdf either.

Don't stress guys. I called today and they told me there was an issue with the payment verification but they are manually correcting the problem now.

They said the payment status should be reflected on the portal by the end of tomorrow (or sooner).

Don't stress guys. I called today and they told me there was an issue with the payment verification but they are manually correcting the problem now.

They said the payment status should be reflected on the portal by the end of tomorrow (or sooner).

This is nice to know. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

For the technical standards pdf, did you all just type your name on the signature line or did you print it out, sign, scan, etc.?

For the technical standards pdf, did you all just type your name on the signature line or did you print it out, sign, scan, etc.?

Do you have a Mac? If so preview has a signature function which I used and sent back. Didn't need to print. I'm sure other PDF readers have similar functions.

Submitted Secondary on 07/20, haven't heard anything back yet

Has anyone not received a secondary from the school yet? I got my app transmitted on the first day but haven't gotten any contact from the school. Should I email them possibly?

Has anyone not received a secondary from the school yet? I got my app transmitted on the first day but haven't gotten any contact from the school. Should I email them possibly?
I would call them and inquire about it. A week had past since my AMCAS was verified and no Wayne State secondary. I called them and asked if there was a pre-screening process for the secondary. Received one the next day. Coincidence? Probably! But who knows! haha

Has anyone who received an II get an email confirming their interview yet??
I'm wondering if I should call

Has anyone who received an II get an email confirming their interview yet??
I'm wondering if I should call

I called several times asking about it. Each time they said they would be sending it out the next day. Naturally, they have not. I have the Monday August 8th interview and they said to be at the Mazurek Commons by 12:30.

I called several times asking about it. Each time they said they would be sending it out the next day. Naturally, they have not. I have the Monday August 8th interview and they said to be at the Mazurek Commons by 12:30.
When I got my II last year in early Sep, I didn't get a confirmation/II date until the end of the month. The admissions department may be backed up, and that may get worse as the cycle gets busier