2016-2017 University of South Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! Do you know how responsive USF is with emails? I emailed them over the weekend and didn't get an automatic reply that they received my email inquiry like other schools do. Thanks so much guys!!
Accepted student, admissions was really responsive to email, generally if I emailed morning, would hear by end of day.
What kind of rec letters did you all send? How many did you send?
http://health.usf.edu/medicine/mdprogram/mdadmissions/recommendation.htm

Members don't see this ad.

Tough secondary! Finishing up now though.

Reactions: 1 user
does anyone know if academic difficulties are only within the realms of cGPA / sGPA from school? or all of your studies in totality including mcat.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if academic difficulties are only within the realms of cGPA / sGPA from school? or all of your studies in totality including mcat.

It refers to all difficulties.

Hi Guys,

I'm very nervous. When I did the secondary application, I only saw 4 questions as posted up here by other members. Once I hit submit button, the 5th question just magically appeared in the essay portion! This question is related to the Select and Core program. I already submitted my application >,< will my application be considered as incomplete? and they won't even look at it?

Hi Guys,

I'm very nervous. When I did the secondary application, I only saw 4 questions as posted up here by other members. Once I hit submit button, the 5th question just magically appeared in the essay portion! This question is related to the Select and Core program. I already submitted my application >,< will my application be considered as incomplete? and they won't even look at it?
Did you select Core, Select, or Both on the first page?

Sent from my LGMS631 using SDN mobile

oh nooo, I did select both for the whole time working on the essays, until before I turned in the application, I changed to Select :(. Was that the reason why? Do you think my application is not qualified anymore?
Sorry for asking too many questions!

oh nooo, I did select both for the whole time working on the essays, until before I turned in the application, I changed to Select :(. Was that the reason why? Do you think my application is not qualified anymore?

Call the admissions office. Maybe you can submit it as an Update to your application or e-mail it in as an attachment to your file.

Select is a special program that looks for applicants who want to be leaders and innovators in medicine. That's why, if you pick Select or Both at the beginning, they want you to say why you are suited for Select. If you only pick Core, you don't have to answer that question.

Sent from my LGMS631 using SDN mobile

If you select "both" is there the possibility that they will accept you to one program and not the other?

You can only be accepted for one program. Likely you will only offered to interview for one program (which you will not have the option to choose which one). Occasionally, (according to one ADCOM a couple years ago when I applied so take with a grain of salt), you can be offered an interview for both program. How they decide that or even which program they choose to interview you for, I have no idea. Please be aware of this information, if you are a Florida resident and do seem to fit with SELECT, but don't really have an interest in it or the increased tuition costs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted 7/31 and hasn't been viewed yet

Every year, this thread becomes obsessed with looking at the application viewing button. Every year, the meaning of this data point is somewhat suspect. For your own sanity, I would not try place any meaning on this information. It probably doesn't mean what what you think it means.

Anyone know if they ever give the opportunity to interview for both core and select? Or do they just pick one for you if you state that you're interested in both?

Sorry guys, but where are you seeing this last viewed thing?

Anyone know if they ever give the opportunity to interview for both core and select? Or do they just pick one for you if you state that you're interested in both?

I was told a couple years ago that a few people were offered interviews for both. The vast majority are not offered this and they pick one program to offer an interview for.

Hey! Just curious about the stats of people applying here this cycle.. and would anyone know the stats of people accepted last cycle? Thank you!

Hey! Just curious about the stats of people applying here this cycle.. and would anyone know the stats of people accepted last cycle? Thank you!

From MSAR, here's the 10th-90th percentile stats for last year's accepted students:
MCAT: 30-36
sGPA: 3.2-4.0
oGPA: 3.3-4.0

Hey how long after submitting your AMCAS app did you get your secondary emails? I submitted a couple weeks ago but my committee letter went in last week on AMCAS. The only school who has emailed me about secondaries so far has been NYMC, did USF send yours immediately? Im getting nervous something was wrong with my application

Hey how long after submitting your AMCAS app did you get your secondary emails? I submitted a couple weeks ago but my committee letter went in last week on AMCAS. The only school who has emailed me about secondaries so far has been NYMC, did USF send yours immediately? Im getting nervous something was wrong with my application

Has your application already been verified?

The day after I submitted my primary I received my secondary, the delay could have to do with that committee letter

Just applied here. Hoping to get the ball rolling very quickly.

Do you guys think it's okay to talk about a scholarly concentration that differs from the "practice scenario for your future medical career"?

I chose to discuss how I would take advantage of the scholarly concentration in health disparities, but I wanted to discuss Public Health as my practice scenario for my future medical career. Would this seem contraindicative? Are they looking for people to select scholarly concentrations in line with their future medical career goals as indicated on the secondary app? That only makes sense... but I'm truly passionate about pursuing both avenues. Thanks for your help in advance!!

Do you guys think it's okay to talk about a scholarly concentration that differs from the "practice scenario for your future medical career"?

I chose to discuss how I would take advantage of the scholarly concentration in health disparities, but I wanted to discuss Public Health as my practice scenario for my future medical career. Would this seem contraindicative? Are they looking for people to select scholarly concentrations in line with their future medical career goals as indicated on the secondary app? That only makes sense... but I'm truly passionate about pursuing both avenues. Thanks for your help in advance!!
Personally I think health disparities and public health are definitely inter-related. They make sense together!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know when II's should start coming out from USF?

Okay I have a potentially dumb question, everybody says "II" what is that?

Edit: Just realized my secondary email was in my spam box. Whoops. Hopes it's not too late now

Last edited:
anyone else not able to access the secondary at this time?

I sent an e-mail earlier and will post when I get a response, probably Monday mid-morning. They might send a mass e-mail out to all of us anyway though so that might not be necessary. Anyways I'm sure they're aware of it

Edit: Just realized my secondary email was in my spam box. Whoops. Hopes it's not too late now
There's a general 2 weeks rule to sort of follow. If you're within that, you're probably fine.

Any II's yet?

Edit: Just read the complete email, it says"Our interview season begins in mid September and goes through mid May".

Last edited:
Mine also says last viewed in early August.