2016-2017 University of Oklahoma Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess the wait is on for 2 more months. Hopefully we hear better news in February. Is this your first cycle applying?

Yup. First and will be the only. Looking forward to hearing good news in February. We'll see how the turnout goes :/

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted yesterday at 2:08, IS! Can't wait to meet all of you next fall. Best wishes to everyone still waiting on news!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted yesterday at 2:43!!! IS, can't wait to meet everyone!!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted Thursday at 2:08!! IS, 3.63, 516. So excited! :hardy:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You have the chance to attend the Reapplicant Workshop in March if you are rejected or waitlisted. They really do a good job of talking about areas of improvement.
Didn't help last time. Was a waste of time as I was told nothing that wasn't already on my 'list' and having achieved all of my 'items' since last cycle nothing changed in the result. I know I'm salty right now but man this blows--xmas is coal and I know I deserve better--anyone in similar circumstances I wish you better!

Didn't help last time. Was a waste of time as I was told nothing that wasn't already on my 'list' and having achieved all of my 'items' since last cycle nothing changed in the result. I know I'm salty right now but man this blows--xmas is coal and I know I deserve better--anyone in similar circumstances I wish you better!
I WILL be a doctor someday but apparently not at this school, ever.

Has anyone received their admission packet in the mail? Dotty's email mention that we should be getting something in the mail but I haven't gotten anything.

Has anyone received their admission packet in the mail? Dotty's email mention that we should be getting something in the mail but I haven't gotten anything.
I haven't received anything either.

Members don't see this ad :)

Legend has it they show up ~1st - 2nd week of Jan!

Did anyone receive any sort of confirmation email that you had accepted your position from the admissions office? I received an email confirming I paid the deposit, and the application website says that I have accepted the offer, but I haven't received an email from the admissions office with any sort of confirmation that I have reserved my spot. Today is the 2 week deadline to accept the position, and I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Did anyone receive any sort of confirmation email that you had accepted your position from the admissions office? I received an email confirming I paid the deposit, and the application website says that I have accepted the offer, but I haven't received an email from the admissions office with any sort of confirmation that I have reserved my spot. Today is the 2 week deadline to accept the position, and I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Didn't receive any further email apart from the deposit confirmation. I think the red text saying 'You have accepted this offer' shouldld suffice.

Has anyone considered living arrangements? I am curious to hear what people think of campus housing vs. off-campus.

Haven't gone through the entire thread but does anyone know if they offer lunch on interview day. Will be interviewing next week

Has anyone considered living arrangements? I am curious to hear what people think of campus housing vs. off-campus.

We're think about renting a house around OCU or Crown Heights. Does anyone know if there are any areas west of 235/ south of 44 that are dangerous (a little sketchy is fine)?

My partner would hate living on campus so I haven't looked at the university village very closely. Here's the rates/floor plans online if you haven't seen it yet: http://students.ouhsc.edu/StudentServices/UniversityVillageApartments.aspx

Hello All,
Just interviewed today and enjoyed the process & people! I look forward to hearing back in February! Good luck everyone! :banana:

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone link information on interviews given, average statistics etc? (Apart from the OU website). Thanks!

Can anyone link information on interviews given, average statistics etc? (Apart from the OU website). Thanks!

https://www.aamc.org/download/321460/data/factstablea3.pdf
https://www.aamc.org/download/321462/data/factstablea4.pdf
https://www.aamc.org/download/321500/data/factstablea19.pdf
https://www.aamc.org/download/321502/data/factstablea20.pdf

There's also info about interview rates on MSAR
I think 402 applied IS to OU and 273 IS interviewed last year

Reactions: 1 user

Is matriculants of 2016-2017 the MS1 of this year or the current application cycle's accepted people?

I haven't received anything in the mail yet. I am kind of worried they may have sent the acceptance email to the wrong person But I've already accepted the admissions offer and made my deposit. Guess letters are going out super late this year?

I emailed Dotty last week (1/3) she said letters would "probably" be sent out sometime this week. Just FYI, they get your permanent address from what you put on your AMCAS app so make sure that is the one you want it sent to!

I live in the University Apartments on campus, they are fairly nice and really good price for the area, HOWEVER there is usually a long wait list so I would suggest getting added as soon as possible. I applied last year in January and got off the wait list 2 weeks before classes started. I had already gotten another place but thankfully they were super nice and let me out of that lease.

Even if you dont want it this first year its a good idea to get on the wait list and you can switch over later

I live in the University Apartments on campus, they are fairly nice and really good price for the area, HOWEVER there is usually a long wait list so I would suggest getting added as soon as possible. I applied last year in January and got off the wait list 2 weeks before classes started. I had already gotten another place but thankfully they were super nice and let me out of that lease.

Even if you dont want it this first year its a good idea to get on the wait list and you can switch over later

Do you recommend the on campus apartments over off?

Also, how do we go about filling in the app for the Apartments if we have not received our OUHSC ID number yet?

Do you recommend the on campus apartments over off?

Its really a personal choice. I know people that prefer one over the other. I like being on campus because I dont have to worry about parking or traffic. So far just in core classes so its nice to not have far to go to get to class, but Im betting it will be even better starting 3rd year with hospital shifts.

Its a very nice quiet environment, with a lot of other students from other colleges too and cheap or at least low compared to other nearby appts.

Also, how do we go about filling in the app for the Apartments if we have not received our OUHSC ID number yet?
Just drop by the office or mail it in blank. If you let Jim (the guy who overseas the University Village) know you are incoming college of medicine you can submit without your ID number yet. Again though it can be a long wait list so you might need a backup

For those looking at university village on campus, you basically have 2 options: 1) the single studio apartment or 2) the 2 person townhouse. My understanding is that the 2 person townhouse is the easier to get into. Especially if a current person or someone higher up on the wait list request you. You might want to put a notice/email out to the current 1st years, 2nd years, 3rd years to see if anyone wants a roomate. Hit me up if you all have any other questions

As an alternative housing, many medical students live at The Lincoln just up Lincoln Ave past the capital. Its pretty nice and fair price and fairly close. I havent lived there so cant be specific but many of my classmates live there

What is the average cost for apartments? I was looking in Tulsa at apartments and was looking to pay around 1000-1100 per month. Is this comparable?

What is the average cost for apartments? I was looking in Tulsa at apartments and was looking to pay around 1000-1100 per month. Is this comparable?
I think it really depends on where you live and if you want a roommate or not. Most places I looked at in the area were around $1000. With a roommate its probably 1200-1300 so half that?

Its been about a year since I looked but Id say for apartments youve got a few options. I'd go look at the websites to get exacts so dont quote me.

Frankly most housing within a block or 2 from the hospitals is a shady part of town. There are several houses to rent but usually low quality and shady areas, and not really that much cheaper.

1) University Village Appartments are like $650 studio or 1100? for 2 person townhouse. PROS - really close to class and hospitals. No worries about parking/traffic. Quiet for studying. CONS - not really close to anything else, so like groceries, and entertainment is a drive or uber away. Never feel like you really get away from campus, get a break.

2) The Lincoln - probably mid range 1000-1300? A nice newer complex of apartments like in undergrad with pool etc. Relatively close to campus. Not really near much else. Lots of students there though. Close but not too far away so is a nice break but still have some traffic and parking issues.

3) Everything just west of I235 (Bricktown, Double Duece, Automobile Alley...) awesome ares. Lots of brand new awesome apartments and complexes with lots of amenities. Lots of young upcoming popluation, bars, restaruants, stuff to do. CONS - mad mad expensive

4) Everything else that is 20 min drive away. There are lots of nice apartments across OKC that are both nice and cheaper than being downtown. Obvious drawback is distance to drive and traffic downtown coming to campus. Pros are prices and and being away from it all. One I looked at as my back up was a complex called The Greens.

Any recommendations for people with pets? I have 2 small dogs (~20 lbs) that are coming with me.

I've lived in the same place the whole 3 years so i've never experienced what it would be like to live on/close to campus and I imagine it's very convenient, but the commute from most anywhere in the metro isn't bad at all. I do have to give myself probably an extra 30 minutes over someone on campus just in case traffic is bad, but if you listen to audio lectures in the car it ends up being very efficient still. That being said, as of just a couple weeks ago, they started major construction on 235 near the 235/44 intersection that is going to be a major inconvenience for the next 2-3 years, so be aware of that if you look at places north of that junction.

Traffic and your commute ends up being a much bigger deal the first 2 years than it is your clinical years. Having class at 8 puts you in a good bit of traffic, but if you home school (highly recommend this is if you're able to handle it) then you rarely have to deal with that. When you're on the road at 4:30 a.m. for your surgery rotation, the only other people on the road are your fellow poor souls suffering difficult clerkships.

Does anyone know the date of the second look day?

Has anyone received the acceptance packet in the mail yet?

Does anyone know how many people got deferred this cycle?

I don't think they told any of us. I was deferred and there were three or four others on this thread who said they got deferred as well. That's all I know. Well... that and the fact that the wait for "around Valentine's Day" is killing me.

Reactions: 1 user
Could any current students here speak to the strengths of the ENT or Urology programs/departments? (Research opportunities, rotations, clinical opportunities ... etc)

Could any current students here speak to the strengths of the ENT or Urology programs/departments? (Research opportunities, rotations, clinical opportunities ... etc)
You can do both of these ENT/Urology as elective rotations in 3rd/4th year.

You will also in the first year do an afternoon intro to ENT as part of clinical med where you will learn about the career field and get to practice most of their skills. I even got scoped so my group of 5 got to see my oropharynx and vocal cords, which was cool because we were covering that during that week in Human Structures too (anatomy).

There seems to be lots of opportuntites for research for those interested. And if you are interested in either of these highly competitive fields then research is probably a good thing for the match later. To everyone else out there that is looking at family practice, internal med, OB/GNY, emergency med, most of these dont need research. Dont freak out, you will literally get some people that say YES YOU MUST have research while others are like NO WAY NOT NECESSARY. From whta ive figured out again its like I said previously; highly competiive you should have research so like (Ortho, ENT, urology, optho, maybe derm....) for more primary care probbaly not necessary (internal med, OB, Emerg Med, family practice, etc.)

I'd say 90%+ of guest lecturers this year so far have said during their lectures that they would be happy to sponsor research or other summer projects for MS1's if you just contact them. Plus I think weve seen 20+ research opportunities on campus they shoot out in a regular email. PLsu there are big ones like paid off campus like at NIH if really interested.

As for me Im going Med-Peds Infectious Disease so Im chillin this summer on a medical mission in Uganda and not doing research.