2016-2017 University of Massachussetts Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who applied to the PURCH program received an II yet?

Does anyone know if I can send an additional recommendation letter from my PI to Umass? I wasn't able to send it in with my AMCAS in July.

Does anyone know if I can send an additional recommendation letter from my PI to Umass? I wasn't able to send it in with my AMCAS in July.

I emailed them and they said we have to do it through AMCAS. It worked fine for me. I had my recommender mail the letter to amcas and then assigned then letter to UMASS only. This took about 5-7 business days and UMASS marked it as received almost instantly.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have any stats on the PURCH program? I.e., how many students get selected to interview? I know it's a new program, so I can't really find any solid stats on it, and I'm interviewing with them in October.

Me during a few of the MMI stations:

5d0702fa922c2e3adfa43a2bb24f678c.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Me during a few of the MMI stations:

5d0702fa922c2e3adfa43a2bb24f678c.jpg

HAHAHA OMG. I still have not been offered an II, but this is exactly how i felt at the MMI at UVM..... Stay strong you probably killed it!

Reactions: 1 users
ADMITTED!!!! ED to UMASS...my dream school
All the best to everyone!!

Reactions: 9 users
ADMITTED!!!! ED to UMASS...my dream school
All the best to everyone!!

I'm glad there's at least some movement! Based on this thread (which is obviously not all-encompassing), I feel like they still have barely sent out any II's

Edit: Huge congratulations by the way!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad there's at least some movement! Based on this thread (which is obviously not all-encompassing), I feel like they still have barely sent out any II's

Edit: Huge congratulations by the way!!

Thanks much

Congratulations!!! What were your stats btw?
Thanks...GPA 3.71/3.75 MCAT 92%ile nontraditional student...B.A ...experience as educator high school science 3.5 yrs...research experience undergrad and published undergrad thesis...clinical experience foreign and local. OOS. And other personal experiences. Speak many foreign languages..I put my eggs in one basket and they hatched...
I just also really wanted to go to UMASS because I loved it. So I figured risking ED and saving my bucks(which i dont have) was worth it.

Reactions: 3 users
Sounds like a solid app! Hoping myself to get good news from Umass too!!

I just got an interview request today!!! It's on October 25th.

Here are my stats in case anyone is wondering:
MCAT: 514/92nd percentile (127/127/128/132)
GPA: 3.95
Experience: EMT, tutor, teaching assistant, teacher for Kaplan MCAT courses, president of 2 clubs (one is service oriented, so counts as volunteer), and minimal research experience (1.5 semesters so far).

Last edited:
What interview dates did you two (Blueberriesyumm & rapbang) get? I'm going to the October 25th one. Congratulations to you both and good luck!

I got 12/5. Good luck with your interview! Let us know what you think of the experience!

What interview dates did you two (Blueberriesyumm & rapbang) get? I'm going to the October 25th one. Congratulations to you both and good luck!

I got 01/05/2017, not sure why it's too far away. Maybe it's a specific date for OOS applicant only. Good luck to you too :)

I'll see you there!

I'll see you there!
Awesome! Good luck! I look forward to meeting you.

On the topic of interview dates, I think the interview date is more of an indication of the ordered they reviewed applications, not necessarily the strength of the applicant. I could be wrong on that, but that's the impression I've gotten. I wouldn't worry if you got a later date. If they are having you interview, then you must be a strong candidate.

1) I'm OOS and received an invite last week, I am interviewing November 1 and completed my app last august... so I think it's all random..

2) Also, my email said "You will be notified about PURCH in a separate email." Does this mean that I will be getting a PURCH II? Anyone have any experience with this?

1) I'm OOS and received an invite last week, I am interviewing November 1 and completed my app last august... so I think it's all random..

2) Also, my email said "You will be notified about PURCH in a separate email." Does this mean that I will be getting a PURCH II? Anyone have any experience with this?

Congrats on the II! Good luck! I'll make sure to post about my general experience with the UMass MMI in this thread after I have mine. Hopefully that will help you!

I'm not sure on the PURCH - I didn't apply for the PURCH program. I do know that PURCH applicants receive a second II at Baystate Medical Center in Springfield Mass. I've worked at the hospital (I currently work for it's ambulance service) and live about 5 minutes away, so let me know if you need help finding it/a place to stay overnight.

So I received an II over the weekend and emailed the address from the email to confirm the date. I haven't received a reply and I just checked my portal and there's no check mark or anything under "Interview Scheduled," it's just a checkmark under "Checklist completed." Did anyone else experience this? Should I call them to confirm my interview just in case? Is it likely that my II was a mistake?

So I received an II over the weekend and emailed the address from the email to confirm the date. I haven't received a reply and I just checked my portal and there's no check mark or anything under "Interview Scheduled," it's just a checkmark under "Checklist completed." Did anyone else experience this? Should I call them to confirm my interview just in case? Is it likely that my II was a mistake?
Most likely not a mistake, so do not worry! I did not receive a reply for a few days. And there was no checkmark under "Interview Scheduled" until a couple of weeks passed. I think the office is just very busy, and things take time to move along/show up.

Most likely not a mistake, so do not worry! I did not receive a reply for a few days. And there was no checkmark under "Interview Scheduled" until a couple of weeks passed. I think the office is just very busy, and things take time to move along/show up.

Thanks for the reassurance and good luck to you!

II received on 10/08, Complete 08/15. IS. Given MMI 11/7; rescheduled to 11/28. AdCom is super accommodating if you're unable to make the date!

Judging by this thread it seems like they sent out a lot of OOS invites (I got an OOS II too).. how many open spots are there this year?

Congrats!! When were u complete

Thank you! Early Sept. And assigned a late November date. Based on the other posters dates above, it appears that it is pretty random (at least to an outsiders view)

I'm an M1 at umass. feel free to ask any questions you may have and ill do my best to answer them

I'm an M1 at umass. feel free to ask any questions you may have and ill do my best to answer them
any comments on the PURCH program? no one (adcoms, students, faculty) seems to be answering any questions about it

any comments on the PURCH program? no one (adcoms, students, faculty) seems to be answering any questions about it

your year is the FIRST year they are doing it, so i, and pretty much all other students know really nothing about it. I imagine most faculty are not fully clued in yet