2016-2017 University of Massachussetts Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II this morning! I'm applying MD-PhD so I don't know if that makes a difference. And I also noticed that UMASS was slower to process my LOR than other schools.
That's awesome, congrats! Are you OOS?

Members don't see this ad.

I think UMass is notoriously slow for processing most things and getting back to people after interviews, etc. It's best to just accept it and not think that it's because you did something incorrectly.

@kh1329 I submitted my secondary on Sunday and had a complete email yesterday so it was pretty fast for me

Members don't see this ad :)
@kh1329 I submitted my secondary on Sunday and had a complete email yesterday so it was pretty fast for me
You had an actual email saying that? I submitted mine in early July, LORs etc are in, and I have the green circle, but I never received an actual email about it...

You had an actual email saying that? I submitted mine in early July, LORs etc are in, and I have the green circle, but I never received an actual email about it...
Yeah I got it on 8/22 but it was very very short. Literally reads:
"Your application is complete and will now be reviewed by the Admissions Committee.

Office of Admissions
UMASS School of Medicine"
And today I got an email verifying that I qualified for in-state tuition (I had a confusing situation on my taxes)

That's awesome, congrats! Are you OOS?
OOS. Don't think it really matters since I'm applying MD-PhD. But I do hope having ties with MA from living here for undergrad/gap years helps...

My email correspondences have been complete email, you don't qualify for in-state, and the interview invite is through email. I haven't checked my portal since I've been complete.

OOS. Don't think it really matters since I'm applying MD-PhD. But I do hope having ties with MA from living here for undergrad/gap years helps...

My email correspondences have been complete email, you don't qualify for in-state, and the interview invite is through email. I haven't checked my portal since I've been complete.
You are probably on a different timeline since you're MD/PhD but just curious, how long between your email saying you didn't qualify for in-state and your interview invite?

You are probably on a different timeline since you're MD/PhD but just curious, how long between your email saying you didn't qualify for in-state and your interview invite?
Either that or nobody is posting. I've only seen one other II on the MD-PhD thread.

Complete: 8/2; OOS email 8/7; Interview Invite 8/22

Reactions: 1 user
Either that or nobody is posting. I've only seen one other II on the MD-PhD thread.

Complete: 8/2; OOS email 8/7; Interview Invite 8/22
do you mind sharing your stats?

Also, I was on last years thread and it looks like the first posted II was on 8.27. Hopefully, you guys start hearing soon! I'd love to see all the UMASS love :)

II!! Had to call and reschedule from Sept to early October though... is UMass admissions heavily weighted towards when you interview??

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email! Haven't checked the portal yet, I don't know if it's reflected there as well. Of note, they don't have a date picker, they just send you a date and you're expected to call or email if there's a conflict.

How long do they typically take to process LORs. That is the only thing holding my application back from being complete. I submitted a committee packet through AMCAS.

Current MS1 at UMass. Feel free to ask questions! And good luck!

OOS applicant here. I REALLY like this school and I'm so glad they are accepting OOS now. Does anyone know the stats for OOS interviews/acceptance?

II today, complete 8/10, in-state, Lizzy M~70, equally nervous+excited.

I hope they can't see how many times a day I log in to check my application status. I just really want to go to UMass!!!!

Current MS1 at UMass. Feel free to ask questions! And good luck!
Do you mind sharing your stats from when you applied? I'm curious since I have a friend (IS) who applied to UMass last cycle and was rejected. She ended up going to Dartmouth.

II yesterday. LizzyM 75, IS, complete late July.

I guess now I have to figure out how to do MMI's :scared::nailbiting:

Last edited:
II yesterday. LizzyM 75, IS, complete late July.

I guess now I have to figure out how to do MMI's :scared::nailbiting:
Gurbs, I just did an MMI interview today, and I think most people would tell you it is 100x less stressful than a traditional interview. Normally, you just get grilled by 1 or 2 people for 30m to 1h long sessions. MMIs are just basic interview questions where you have 6 minutes to speak back and forth with your interviewer. If you mess up with one person, you always have the next (7) station(s) to get back on track.

You'll be okay!

Have a lot of people heard back who were complete in early august? (ex. Aug 10-15ish)

Have a lot of people heard back who were complete in early august? (ex. Aug 10-15ish)
I was complete around then and haven't heard anything so far:/

It seems that they haven't been to active in sending out II's. Don't worry about it too much. I had friends who applied the previous cycles who waited a long time to hear back too. I was complete in mid July and also haven't heard.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

hi all, so I am JUST doing my secondary for this school, and was wondering if it would be appropriate to write about moving to a new country for the "personal dilemma" essay and writing about the challenges I overcame? I'm choosing the resilience and adaptability topic.

However, I don't know if I would call this experience a 'dilemma'? Would this most likely be okay to write about? Should i just call admissions and ask? :/

hi all, so I am JUST doing my secondary for this school, and was wondering if it would be appropriate to write about moving to a new country for the "personal dilemma" essay and writing about the challenges I overcame? I'm choosing the resilience and adaptability topic.

However, I don't know if I would call this experience a 'dilemma'? Would this most likely be okay to write about? Should i just call admissions and ask? :/

I think it is whatever you think personally answers the prompt, you could call if you want but I think a dilemma is individual to each person so I am not sure if they would have a great answer for you. If moving to a different country had unique experiences and challenges that show you are resilient than it would be a great essay! It just needs to be something that answers the prompt. Hope that helps!

First II!!! Super excited! (see sig for details)

Hi everyone, I just applied to UMASS (I know, kind of late). Would anyone mind telling me how long after you submitted your primary you received the secondary? Thanks!

Hi everyone, I just applied to UMASS (I know, kind of late). Would anyone mind telling me how long after you submitted your primary you received the secondary? Thanks!

I was verified on 6/30, they sent me a secondary on 7/5. It took them about a month to notify that I was complete after I submitted the primary!