2016-2017 University of Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I forgot to mention, the second guy needs to wash his white coat. And who writes these things... is it a joke? Why would the school want students to behave the following ways....

" I was wishing that I was anywhere else but at the end of that bed"
3 year old would " sometimes crawl onto my lap"
Holding the hand of a gunshot wound victim... as blood leeched onto his white coat
HIV and TB residue....
Prideful?!?!?!
and this guy is unhygenic who wouldn't wash their white coat after all this gets on it
It's supposed to be symbolic...they are reflective essays that you are supposed to read and interpret in your own way. It's not a math problem. Think outside the box.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Should I apply to this school if I'm out of state?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I love this secondary! Really hope I get into this school! :clap:

Reactions: 2 users
Could someone further explain this question? Having a little trouble with the undermined part of the question. Like are they asking about characteristics of a physician or the values in the Hippocratic Oath?

"These wonderful ideals are not simply skills to learn, but assume that physicians are virtuous and that their practice grows naturally from these virtues; which raises a question. What are the most important virtues of a physician and how can they be nurtured or undermined? Please consider this question and offer us your thoughts below."

Hey guys! Currently working on the secondary. All the essays say "Limit your response to 250-500 words" but for some, like the one that asks to state your activities for the next year," I only need like 117 words… Do you guys think we MUST be in the 250-500 words range for all the essays?
I can't tell if they're being very technical or it's just an optional range.

For those who are OOS and have no ties to Florida, what are you putting in the "If you are not a legal resident of Florida according to your AMCAS application, write a statement describing your association with the State of Florida on the Supplemental Answers page. This statement is required even if you have no ties to the State of Florida" section?

Hey guys! Currently working on the secondary. All the essays say "Limit your response to 250-500 words" but for some, like the one that asks to state your activities for the next year," I only need like 117 words… Do you guys think we MUST be in the 250-500 words range for all the essays?
I can't tell if they're being very technical or it's just an optional range.

I hope not. I don't think so though. I'm pretty sure I only had <100 words.

Could someone further explain this question? Having a little trouble with the undermined part of the question. Like are they asking about characteristics of a physician or the values in the Hippocratic Oath?

"These wonderful ideals are not simply skills to learn, but assume that physicians are virtuous and that their practice grows naturally from these virtues; which raises a question. What are the most important virtues of a physician and how can they be nurtured or undermined? Please consider this question and offer us your thoughts below."

I wrote about good characteristics of a physician, their virtues and what not.

Is anyone else having trouble uploading their photo? I keep clicking on the "upload" button and nothing happens, not even a loading icon pops up.

I just submitted my primary application and scares me a little that everyone here is already talking about their secondary application. Is anyone in the same boat as me? How long did it take for you guys to get the secondary application?

I just submitted my primary application and scares me a little that everyone here is already talking about their secondary application. Is anyone in the same boat as me? How long did it take for you guys to get the secondary application?

If you just submitted your primary you have to wait till you're verified. That being said, you probably won't see a secondary for at least another month.

If you just submitted your primary you have to wait till you're verified. That being said, you probably won't see a secondary for at least another month.

Thank you! Hopefully I am not too late, I am freaking out a little.

Members don't see this ad :)
Florida just sent an invitation to make a GatorLink account. I submitted my app about a month ago. Does this mean anything?

^Lol at everyones conversation. So is it agreed upon that this "Congratulations Gatorlink Invitation" email wasn't significant?

^Lol at everyones conversation. So is it agreed upon that this "Congratulations Gatorlink Invitation" email wasn't significant?

I just submitted a couple days ago and haven't gotten that email, but I feel like it's significant otherwise they would've sent it with the secondary. Could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For the secondary questions that ask you to reflect on one of the two essays and talk about the important virtues of a physician, are you guys just answering the question or also talking about yourselves and the traits you have?

For the secondary questions that ask you to reflect on one of the two essays and talk about the important virtues of a physician, are you guys just answering the question or also talking about yourselves and the traits you have?
For the reflect on one of the essays prompt, I only wrote about the attributes the student displayed that I would like to "emulate" as they said. It felt kind of awkward for me though because I wrote about some of those same things throughout my primary from my patient experiences. (I'm a registered nurse now.) I did not mention myself in this one except to say "I admire...." or whatever.

I also already wrote the optional essay. I'm kinda stuck on the virtues one, because virtues are very much similar to attributes (so long as the attributes are positive lol). The only way I can figure that makes it different is writing about how they're encouraged or diminished (can't remember their exact wording, not looking at it right now.)

Edited to fix spelling error.

I'm a little confused on the "Describe what you are going to be doing until graduation" prompt. I want to start med school early, so I would do the Summer B enrollment (June 2017)...
but I graduate in May 2017. So that gives me one month from graduation to enrollment. Do I just put the timeline for my activities as May 2017 to June 2017?

Welp! Just got an II! What a great way to end the week! Complete the last week of July!

Reactions: 4 users
I'm a little confused on the "Describe what you are going to be doing until graduation" prompt. I want to start med school early, so I would do the Summer B enrollment (June 2017)...
but I graduate in May 2017. So that gives me one month from graduation to enrollment. Do I just put the timeline for my activities as May 2017 to June 2017?

You'd start in late June/early August like everyone else. You can't start here during the summer. So just put what you're doing over the summer between graduation and matriculation.

You'd start in late June/early August like everyone else. You can't start here during the summer. So just put what you're doing over the summer between graduation and matriculation.

wait so what are the options for starting for?

The application has 3 summer options A/B/C and then a "Fall 2017" selection. I thought if I pick the B selection (June 2017) it means I start in June 2017?

The application has 3 summer options A/B/C and then a "Fall 2017" selection. I thought if I pick the B selection (June 2017) it means I start in June 2017?
Is this on the professional or medical app?

Sent from my LGMS631 using SDN mobile

That's the undergrad app. The professional app does not have an option for when to start.

@Munty @tygerguy

I understand that UF is a research heavy school and was wondering how they will perceive me if I have no interest in the typical bench research. My interests lie in integrating technology into medicine to create new diagnostic tools. I'd like to mention this in the secondaries and was wondering what your guys' thoughts are.

Thanks!

You will be fine without interest in bench research. Just be truthful.

How does UF contact those selected for an interview? Is it via email or phone?

Probably phone call.

Wow-- got an interview invitation as well (for the MD/PhD Program). Missed a call during work on Friday (a 352 number), so I called them back today. I'm BEYOND excited!!

Looking forward to meeting some of you guys. I'll be interviewing on 8/26/16.

Reactions: 5 users
Just got the call! Will be interviewing for regular MD on 8/26!! Beyond excited. UF is my alma mater and definitely my first choice!!!

Wow-- got an interview invitation as well (for the MD/PhD Program). Missed a call during work on Friday (a 352 number), so I called them back today. I'm BEYOND excited!!

See you on 8/26!! =]

Just got the call! Will be interviewing for regular MD on 8/26!! Beyond excited. UF is my alma mater and definitely my first choice!!!
Do you guys mind sharing your complete dates/ stats?

Sure- I was complete July 6. I'm IS, graduated from UF, MCAT 512, cGPA 3.90, sGPA 3.79. Significant amount of neuroscience research (publication), paid medical work, and volunteering.

Does anyone know if they call and leave a message? I missed a call from a Gainesville number earlier but they didn't leave a message or have a voicemail when I called back

Does anyone know if they call and leave a message? I missed a call from a Gainesville number earlier but they didn't leave a message or have a voicemail when I called back
They left me a message, yes. Asking to call them back.

Reactions: 1 users
Have any OOS applicants heard anything? I submitted 7/18. I'm expecting some prejudice as a UGA grad though, seeing as we have an objectively better football team, which is a fact widely held by intellectuals everywhere. ;)

First II today :biglove:

Reactions: 5 users