2016-2017 University of Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Just applied here. I love this school and I'm hoping to get some out of state love.

Finally submitted this secondary! I worked on this one over several days. I'm a definite underdog stat-wise for UF, but it's my first choice. I'm a senior here now and I would love to stay and be a double gator!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, does anybody know what the dress attire is for the student dinner the night before the interview?

Did anyone completed on or after 7/25 receive an interview invite?

Submitted secondary on August 2nd, got an II on the 12th.

Florida resident, LizzyM ~76.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, does anybody know what the dress attire is for the student dinner the night before the interview?

I asked them about that, here's their reply: "Casual is fine; it’s a casual establishment and event. The med students will be wearing polos and khakis, or something like that; feel free to wear jeans or what is comfortable – definitely not interview attire!"

I asked them about that, here's their reply: "Casual is fine; it’s a casual establishment and event. The med students will be wearing polos and khakis, or something like that; feel free to wear jeans or what is comfortable – definitely not interview attire!"

Thank you!

Some insider knowledge (and answers to some previous questions):

We have been told the first 3 interview days have been filled. To my knowledge they are almost always every week on Fridays. Currently they have the pictures displayed of the first interview day's candidates for us to look at and it's crazy to think you guys are already starting the interview process. The dinner before is super casual and good, other interviewees will be their as well as their student hosts. I believe there have been some OOS II that have gone out as well.

Again, if you have any questions feel free to message me! Interview day here was one of the best that I got to go to, so just try to relax and enjoy it, you got through the worst part of applying to med school now!

Reactions: 3 users
I had my interview at UF yesterday. The program is great, new med school building is mind-blowing, teachers and admin staff are so nice and genuinely want you to do well, and all of the students really seem really happy there. I'm a UF grad- really hoping to be able to stay and be a double gator. We'll see!

Reactions: 8 users
Still dying for an interview here. Seems to have been quiet with regards to II's recently. Maybe some will come it this week?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I actually really like these prompts. Makes me a little more interested in going here:)
Same here. UF has by far the best application questions. Just kinda wish we didn't have to do the graduate school app in addition to the med school one.

Reactions: 1 users
II yesterday! IS, Lizzy M ~73, complete 8/10. So.. they put up interviewees with current students? Or do we need to find accommodations? And are all Interview days on fridays?
Thanks everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
II yesterday! IS, Lizzy M ~73, complete 8/10. So.. they put up interviewees with current students? Or do we need to find accommodations? And are all Interview days on fridays?
Thanks everyone!

Yeah all the interviewees, if they wish, should be able to be put up with current students. They should email you as your day approaches with a link to a page where you can see who is hosting and what their accommodations are.

Also, as far as I know, all interview days are on Fridays (but not every single Friday).

Congrats on getting an interview, best of luck!

Hello!

Just submitted the AMCAS and am waiting for an MCAT score.

So glad I found the secondary prompts to start them if I do receive an invitation for secondary application submission.

Good luck everyone!!

Hello!

Just submitted the AMCAS and am waiting for an MCAT score.

So glad I found the secondary prompts to start them if I do receive an invitation for secondary application submission.

Good luck everyone!!

Good luck to you too! I'm sure you are going to receive a secondary.

Thanks everyone!
PS: If that's your picture as the avatar, you should probably change it for anonymity's sake.

II received 9/2 . secondary submitted July 20. LizzyM~71 MCAT 511 . I am excited to be interviewing September 16. Does anyone have any advice they could give me?

II received 9/2 . secondary submitted July 20. LizzyM~71 MCAT 511 . I am excited to be interviewing September 16. Does anyone have any advice they could give me?

Are you IS or OOS? If you're OOS, do not underestimate how hot and humid it will be. Consider bringing a handkerchief, not as a pocket square but just as a way to wipe off some sweat (discreetly) when you come inside. Bring an umbrella, too, in case it rains. Light-colored suits might be a little cooler, and two-button single-breasted will be cooler than other suit cuts. Make sure you wear plenty of deodorant/antiperspirant. Other than that, it looks from the agenda like it'll be fairly similar to a lot of other interviews.

wow congrats... any other stats that you can share. Any special EC's or other info from your app.

Are you IS or OOS? If you're OOS, do not underestimate how hot and humid it will be. Consider bringing a handkerchief, not as a pocket square but just as a way to wipe off some sweat (discreetly) when you come inside. Bring an umbrella, too, in case it rains. Light-colored suits might be a little cooler, and two-button single-breasted will be cooler than other suit cuts. Make sure you wear plenty of deodorant/antiperspirant. Other than that, it looks from the agenda like it'll be fairly similar to a lot of other interviews.

I am IS but I was still wondering what I could do about the heat and humidity. That's great advice. Thank-You! It will be my first interview this cycle so needless to say I am excited.

Last edited:
wow congrats... any other stats that you can share. Any special EC's or other info from your app.

Traditional student, 2 years of research experience, 1 semester TA-ing, volunteering in local clinics and shelters, and ~ 250 hours shadowing.

I am IS but I was still wondering what I could do about the heat and humidity. That's great advice. Thank-You! It will be my first interview this cycle so needless to say I am excited.

I guess the nice thing is that everyone will be dealing with the same heat and humidity, so we'll all be equally gross and sweaty. ;)

It's my first interview of the cycle too, though mine is this Friday! I'll try and let you guys know how it was once I get back.

I guess the nice thing is that everyone will be dealing with the same heat and humidity, so we'll all be equally gross and sweaty. ;)

It's my first interview of the cycle too, though mine is this Friday! I'll try and let you guys know how it was once I get back.
See you Friday vapor314!! It will be great having another SDN person there :). Are you attending Thursday also?

See you Friday vapor314!! It will be great having another SDN person there :). Are you attending Thursday also?

I'll also be there Friday!! Hoping to make it Thursday, but will be driving up from south Florida, so I might get caught in traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi everyone. I'm a current student here and absolutely loving it.

Just posting to subscribe to the thread and let you all know that I'm available as a resource if anyone has questions about anything at all.

For those interviewing I will more than likely get to meet you during your interview lunches!

Last edited:
So I had my interview this past Friday, and figured I should write a little bit about how it went. Anyone else who's interviewed please feel free to chime in with your own thoughts, I'm sure my impressions weren't exactly the same as everyone else's.

Gainesville
Gainesville was nice. It felt like a typical Southern college town, but bigger than most. Very hilly and forested, more like a very big town than like a city. Traffic was fine most of the time, but pretty rough around lunchtime, early morning, and rush hour. A LOT of people on scooters. Lots of scooter/motorcycle parking everywhere too. Pretty solid public transportation, lots of buses and bus stops all over. Felt more Southern overall than my area of Florida (Brevard county).

UF Facilities
The new medical education building is amazing. Very high-tech, but in a way that makes sense and in a way that seems like it would be good for students, not just pointlessly high-tech for the sake of being high-tech. Everything is new and fancy, the interior looks like a European graphic design firm. The two big classrooms look like could be sets for some intergalactic council on Star Trek or something. Lots of study rooms of varying sizes, plus hallway study spaces and lounge areas (one silent, one not). Everything except anatomy takes place in one building. The hospital is literally a couple hundred feet from the COM building. The simulator is very cool, and seems like it would be really really useful for getting comfortable before you have to work on real patients.

UF Faculty and Students
Everyone was very nice and laid-back, they seem to be more focused on finding students who fit with their overall culture and atmosphere than on finding academic superstars; personality match seems to be a big factor. The students all felt like they knew each other and pretty much liked all of their classmates. They're pretty active; the welcome dinner is something they came up with and organize, and they do stuff like a Disney musical performance for the pediatric patients every year. The students all seemed really cool, nice, and helpful. They're big on the Pass-Fail thing, and that really does seem to create a helpful and supportive environment. The admissions people were of course very nice and professional, but also laid-back and approachable. Several students told me that attendings and other faculty were always very easy to get a hold of, and that med students were encouraged to shadow in the hospital any time to get some more hands-on experience.

The Interviews Themselves
There were two hour-long interviews. Some people had two MD's, some two MS4's, some a mix. I had one MD and one MS4. Both were very laid-back and conversational, especially the MS4. There were questions, of course, but it felt like the interviewers were trying to asses a list of general qualities rather than simply reading from a list of specified questions. I felt pretty relaxed during both interviews. Most people's interviewers were to some extent tailored to their application, so for instance a person with EMT experience might get an EM doc, a non-trad might get a non-trad MS4, etc. That was nice because it made conversation pretty easy.

Overall, I had a great time and came away feeling very positive about UF. Please feel free to ask any questions you like!

Reactions: 7 users
Interviewed Friday. Amazing school, amazing staff, amazing energy. Go Gators

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the prompts!

I submitted 9/2 and wasn't verified until 9/15; I guess it's the busy time. Received a secondary on 9/16 which is what I'm working on now. Not too bad! I know I'm a late in submitting this application cycle but I didn't graduate from my Masters until August and took the MCAT September 1st.

Either way, I'm glad some people had interviews and I wish you all the best of luck!

Since the last post was almost two weeks ago, I thought I'd ask: has anyone gotten any II's recently?

Little bit of IS love this morning! II complete late July :)

Reactions: 5 users
What dates are the interviews that they're scheduling currently?