2016-2017 Tulane University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I applied 6/7 and still haven't received a secondary from Tulane. Anyone else in the same boat?
Submitted Day 1 and just got mine today. I'm guessing they're being sent out in waves so just keep waiting!

Is the diversity question optional? I honestly can't think of anyway how I might be associated with a underrepresented group.

Submitted Day 1 and just got mine today. I'm guessing they're being sent out in waves so just keep waiting!

Is the diversity question optional? I honestly can't think of anyway how I might be associated with a underrepresented group.
I put N/A for that question.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who have submitted, is there a place where you indicate if you would be taking the Casper test? How will they know if and when you are taking it for reviewing the application ?

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you who have submitted, is there a place where you indicate if you would be taking the Casper test? How will they know if and when you are taking it for reviewing the application ?
They review the application regardless of if you have taken the CASPer test. That is what they indicate on the website.

Thanks for the advice- I agree and will probably end up doing the same!
Hey so did you end up taking the Casper? How was it and any idea if it has to be taken within a certain timeframe after submitting the secondary ?

Hey so did you end up taking the Casper? How was it and any idea if it has to be taken within a certain timeframe after submitting the secondary ?

I am taking it this sunday, 7/10!

Last edited:
I am taking it this sunday, 7/10! I really don't have a choice in taking it because I applied to UIC and they require it lol.. so made the decision easier. I can let you know how it goes after Sunday!

Not sure if it has to be taken within a certain timeframe... UIC did inform us that Casper says it takes about a month from the test date for them to get your results/scores to the school. For Tulane, time is probably less of an issue because it isn't "required" so I'm sure they just review people as apps come in as opposed to waiting for Casper score.
Ok thanks, yeah please let me know how it goes. Are you preparing for it in any way ?

Ok thanks, yeah please let me know how it goes. Are you preparing for it in any way ?

I will probably google some practice scenarios/videos tomorrow for about an hour or so before hand, but honestly I am not going to do much preparation.

I will probably google some practice scenarios/videos tomorrow for about an hour or so before hand, but honestly I am not going to do much preparation.
Ok I am planning to take it later this month. Hope that's not too late

Based on last year's thread, can anyone who has received the secondary confirm that these are the prompts please? If not, I would tremendously appreciate if they were posted! I won't be verified for another week but want to keep writing.

• Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine (150 Words):
  • Have you graduated? What have you been pursuing since you graduated? (150 Words)
  • Are you participating or have you participated in a study abroad program at your university? Please give a short description (100 Words):
  • List any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held during college (100 words):
  • Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests (150 words):

Thanks much and good luck everyone!

For non traditional students, does the question regarding activities after graduation refer to after Undergrad, after Postbac or both?

Thank you!

Okay guys just took CASPer... lol so ridiculous. Honestly, I would not even say you need to study for it... the questions that each scenario will give you are unpredictable, but each scenario is very easy to understand you do not need any outside knowledge.

I'll say it's hard because you have to respond SO fast that you honestly cannot think about your answer... you just have to write. And every answer starts to sound the same after awhile. Wasn't really that big of a deal... I have no idea how I did, but it kinda seems like a joke test tbh.

@ishiningstar

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just took it too. It's kinda dumb tbh. You really can't prepare for it. It's not a big deal. But I still hope it wont have that much of an effect on admission, given the fact that this is the first or second year they are requiring it.

Reactions: 2 users
Okay guys just took CASPer... lol so ridiculous. Honestly, I would not even say you need to study for it... the questions that each scenario will give you are unpredictable, but each scenario is very easy to understand you do not need any outside knowledge.

I'll say it's hard because you have to respond SO fast that you honestly cannot think about your answer... you just have to write. And every answer starts to sound the same after awhile. Wasn't really that big of a deal... I have no idea how I did, but it kinda seems like a joke test tbh.

@ishiningstar
Good you are done with it, thanks a lot for sharing the info !

I just finished the CASPer last night and it is the last thing you guys should worry about. It is very strait forward and there is no need to prepare heavily for it. The most nerve racking thing about it is that you will never see the results of your exam. Best of luck to everyone.

Anyone verified early who still hasn't received a secondary? Maybe I'm just in a later wave...

So can't really tell from this feed, is there an actual secondary with essays? Or just describe your hobbies and take the CASPer kind of thing?

So can't really tell from this feed, is there an actual secondary with essays? Or just describe your hobbies and take the CASPer kind of thing?
There's an essay question (150 words) asking why you're interested in Tulane but otherwise besides the ones you mentioned, there are no other essays

Is anyone opting to not take CASPer? I know that is says that its encouraged, but I was wondering if it ends up that virtually all applicants or matriculants take it or if that isn't the case.

Submitted!!!

Except not taking that ****storm CASPer until later this month.

.....but submitted

Is anyone opting to not take CASPer? I know that is says that its encouraged, but I was wondering if it ends up that virtually all applicants or matriculants take it or if that isn't the case.
I took it because it only costed $20 to send it to one school (Tulane). It was super easy too. I'd take it to avoid the risk. Tulane is super competitive as is.

Does everyone's app portal say "In progress" with a red ! next to it? I assume this means they are in the process of looking at my app.

Looks like mine does too.
Does everyone's app portal say "In progress" with a red ! next to it? I assume this means they are in the process of looking at my app.
Mine does not and now I am worried. Mine has a nice green checkmark like the other things listed on the page.

I would think a red ! means that yours is not in progress? Especially if I have a green check mark. hard to believe a green check mark next to "in progress" does not mean that I am in progress.

I just submitted my secondary last night. I have a green check next to app complete. I'm still going to assume this means I am all set and they just haven't gotten to looking at it yet.

Mine does not and now I am worried. Mine has a nice green checkmark like the other things listed on the page.

I would think a red ! means that yours is not in progress? Especially if I have a green check mark. hard to believe a green check mark next to "in progress" does not mean that I am in progress.

My guess is it's just a computer error. I got the email my app is complete, so as long as you did too I think we're both good! Too early to worry IMO :)

My guess is it's just a computer error. I got the email my app is complete, so as long as you did too I think we're both good! Too early to worry IMO :)

Ya I got the email, so I guess I'll just chill :)

Just submitted and took CASPer Sunday! Now to wait for my committee letter! :rolleyes:
Good luck y'all!

150 words to explain everything I've been doing since I graduated college 4 years ago is not easy. Do you think I should discuss everything since finishing undergrad or just the post-bacc I completed? If I discuss everything since u-grad it will not be very detailed and come across as: First I did this then I did that which led me to this and now I'm doing this.

bland yams.

150 words to explain everything I've been doing since I graduated college 4 years ago is not easy. Do you think I should discuss everything since finishing undergrad or just the post-bacc I completed? If I discuss everything since u-grad it will not be very detailed and come across as: First I did this then I did that which led me to this and now I'm doing this.

bland yams.

That's exactly how I did it. It doesn't have to be groundbreaking I think they literally just want to know what you've been up to. And since you have so much to say, I think very little detail is needed.

Plus the less you elaborate now the more you'll have to talk about come interview lol

Hi y'all, quick advice about the "If you indicated a group above, would you like to be placed in contact on your interview day with a student who identifies similarly?" question. Is there a right or wrong answer?

Hi y'all, quick advice about the "If you indicated a group above, would you like to be placed in contact on your interview day with a student who identifies similarly?" question. Is there a right or wrong answer?

I doubt it. I'm black and super gay. Figured if they interviewed me and could find another unique sparkle to put me with... why not? I'd love to gauge their experience on campus.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This may be the stupidest question.... but is "research" a non-academic interest?

I am not going to take CASPER even though I am applying to Tulane. Even though it is easy, I do not wanna risk my application by doing poorly on CASPER.

I'm not going to redo casper again this year - I did it last year (so within a year since I took it I believe in late august or sept). It left too bad of taste in my mouth after the fiasco last year - and don't think they really will know how to use it at first, so my guess is they are evaluating the data before really making decisions based on it. Pure speculation

II just now too!! First MD invite, so excited!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
Haven't taken casper but I will. Non-trad, URM, Extensive medical experience. Low GPA >90% MCAT

The II have started... Now every email notification will be even more anxiety inducing! :D