2016-2017 Ohio State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Most of the people that I know that ended up not getting in didn't have any interviews until at least November/December. You are going to be juuuust fine, keep your head up! ...I say to myself in the mirror, holding back tears
This is also super true though too. I think I did the math and for a school like Michigan, a number 11 school, you get an interview and you have a 65% shot at getting in (OOS). That's YUUUUUGE. The earlier the interview the better your chance too. Assuming other schools are similar, with like 3 interviews (excluding a place like Mayo) early on, you're almost guaranteed a spot.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
were you not accepted after 5 IIs?!

I was lol I just didn't want to go where I got in. Good schools, but I decided I wanted to work for a year/I had family stuff going on. The average age of medical students isn't right after undergrad. You'll realize that on interview day. I figured if I'm on time applying then I'll get the schools I want

I'm sure they'll note this at the interview date, but establishing Ohio residency is relatively simple. Almost all of their OOS students at matriculation are IS by matriculation.

That's not quite true. You'll pay OOS for first year then second year and on you'll get IS status. You would need to be living in Ohio with no more than I think 21 days out of the state and they track you

Members don't see this ad :)
I was lol I just didn't want to go where I got in. Good schools, but I decided I wanted to work for a year/I had family stuff going on. The average age of medical students isn't right after undergrad. You'll realize that on interview day. I figured if I'm on time applying then I'll get the schools I want
And you're ok with telling schools you've already turned down acceptances in the past...?

This is also super true though too. I think I did the math and for a school like Michigan, a number 11 school, you get an interview and you have a 65% shot at getting in (OOS). That's YUUUUUGE. The earlier the interview the better your chance too. Assuming other schools are similar, with like 3 interviews (excluding a place like Mayo) early on, you're almost guaranteed a spot.
I think more interviews increases ur chances but no number guarantees an acceptance.

I'm scared ****less of hearing a few people last cycle reaapplying with 8+ II

Reactions: 2 users
And you're ok with telling schools you've already turned down acceptances in the past...?

Most schools have a formula of acceptances offered to those that actually matriculate. That's the whole point of having a wait list. When offered an acceptance and you politely decline, that means an individual who truly wants to go to the school now has the opportunity to accept. I've only applied to schools that I can see myself going to. This year wouldn't have been a good time in my life to start medical school and majority of medical schools understand that. Some offer deferment of a seat for the following cycle. If you're applying to a school and for some reason they ask why you didn't attend a school after being accepted, which they wouldn't, just be honest.

With regards to waiting another year, I've talked to dozens of physicians and every single one has said how they wish they had taken a year off to work or just to have down time. It's not for everyone, but it's also your career. What's another year? Once you go through the application cycle and talk to admissions administration, you'll see what I'm talking about. They want students passionate about their program, not someone accepting just because they need to start medical school right away or it's a backup school.

I think more interviews increases ur chances but no number guarantees an acceptance.

I'm scared ****less of hearing a few people last cycle reaapplying with 8+ II
There are very obvious reasons why they're re-applying with that many II.

Most schools have a formula of acceptances offered to those that actually matriculate. That's the whole point of having a wait list. When offered an acceptance and you politely decline, that means an individual who truly wants to go to the school now has the opportunity to accept. I've only applied to schools that I can see myself going to. This year wouldn't have been a good time in my life to start medical school and majority of medical schools understand that. Some offer deferment of a seat for the following cycle. If you're applying to a school and for some reason they ask why you didn't attend a school after being accepted, which they wouldn't, just be honest.

With regards to waiting another year, I've talked to dozens of physicians and every single one has said how they wish they had taken a year off to work or just to have down time. It's not for everyone, but it's also your career. What's another year? Once you go through the application cycle and talk to admissions administration, you'll see what I'm talking about. They want students passionate about their program, not someone accepting just because they need to start medical school right away or it's a backup school.
Idk., I've heard some things. Anyways, good luck! Hope the best for you :)

That's not quite true. You'll pay OOS for first year then second year and on you'll get IS status. You would need to be living in Ohio with no more than I think 21 days out of the state and they track you

You're right! I mistyped and meant to write graduation. Your explanation is better.

There are very obvious reasons why they're re-applying with that many II.

Ya not accepting offers, not even deferring and then reapplying seems like a non-prudent decision.

Ya not accepting offers, not even deferring and then reapplying seems like a non-prudent decision.

Not all schools offer deferment and the two schools I got into were across the country from where I live.

I think you might be confused on what prudence truly is. It is not hesitation or indecisiveness. It is not procrastination or safety. My choices were made so that I can have the future I envision, not some preconceived, banal route that I won't succeed on

For me to have declined my two offers after working very hard during my undergrad career, there must have been a reason. When you're faced with life obstacles and have to make a difficult decision you'll understand.

Not all schools offer deferment and the two schools I got into were across the country from where I live.

I think you might be confused on what prudence truly is. It is not hesitation or indecisiveness. It is not procrastination or safety. My choices were made so that I can have the future I envision, not some preconceived, banal route that I won't succeed on

For me to have declined my two offers after working very hard during my undergrad career, there must have been a reason. When you're faced with life obstacles and have to make a difficult decision you'll understand.
Not to harp on this more because what's done is done, but it's prevalent here on SDN that turning down an offer of admittance and trying to re-apply is not a smart decision. The idea is you've already turned down admittance before, why would "we" (the med school) interview or accept you when you could do the same to us?

I'm sure you had a substantial reason and hopefully you can effectively get that across and find success elsewhere. Good luck!

After seeing this response, you seem volatile. Ultimately, it is the med school's perspective that matters. I wish you luck...

Their choice... their future. Really doesn't concern anyone else.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry if I came off that way! I completely understand what you guys are saying, but only medical schools within the cycle will know of your acceptance anyway. Outside of the cycle to which you were accepted has no knowledge of previous acceptances unless of course it is that school. They do not ask about previous acceptances. One thing they look out for is people who have left a medical school after starting. THAT'S a conversation you had better have a good answer for lol

I'm sorry if I came off that way! I completely understand what you guys are saying, but only medical schools within the cycle will know of your acceptance anyway. Outside of the cycle to which you were accepted has no knowledge of previous acceptances unless of course it is that school. They do not ask about previous acceptances. One thing they look out for is people who have left a medical school after starting. THAT'S a conversation you had better have a good answer for lol
Wrong.

Yup, it's basically common knowledge on SDN that if you turn down an MD acceptance, you're likely to be blacklisted from getting into any MD school in the future, unless there's a significant gap between your application years (i.e. >5)

On a side note...70K for OOS tuition?????

Do they accept kidneys? It's in great condition..well hydrated

just curious, where's you find the 70k figure for OOS? Everything I've seen has OOS tuition around 46k

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

just curious, where's you find the 70k figure for OOS? Everything I've seen has OOS tuition around 46k

s/he's probably looking at cost of attendance. tuition is around $5ok, COA is $70k

@walloobi is absolutely right. medical schools won't see which schools you applied or previously interviewed at. HOWEVER, all medical schools can see your previous acceptances, in your case 2 schools that you turned down. I wouldn't say to the extend of getting blacklisted, but you definitely created a red flag and barrier on your application. You're right that many physicians and medical school faculties will tell you to take a break to work or whatever for a year or two, because I heard the same too....but I have never heard they would suggest you to turn down your acceptances...and quite honestly if they did...all their advices should be taken with caution.

But @SydSing is right. it's your choice ,your future. so I'm not here to judge, just trying to share something I know about the application process. if you have more questions about the adcom, master sensei @gyngyn will have lots of knowledge in that aspect

"Prudence" would have been not applying to medical schools that you didn't want to go to.

"Prudence" would have been not applying to medical schools that you didn't want to go to.
Concur. Why cast a safety net if you're going to fall through it.
Back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Reactions: 2 users
Great! I was worried about that haha. That's fairly standard for OOS tuition and CoA it seems

Sorry to double post, but have there been any II's for people complete in August yet?

A bit later here, but I was complete 8/9 when my MCAT scores were released.
LizzyM score of 74 (517 MCAT, 3.93 GPA), In-State and grew up just north of Columbus

Ohio State is a fantastic school and I am so glad to be an Ohio resident right now. Congratulations to everybody who already has interviews and best of luck to those in waiting like myself! Wishing the best for all!

yo has anyone successfully sent an update to OSU? I sent an email last weekend to [email protected] (suggested method of updating according to their website) and the message failed and was sent back

yo has anyone successfully sent an update to OSU? I sent an email last weekend to [email protected] (suggested method of updating according to their website) and the message failed and was sent back

Yeah I emailed that address with a PDF attached and within 2 days someone responded saying it was added to my file

Are Interview Invites sent out as emails or do I need to be monitoring something? I feel like there are three different OSU sites that may or may not be "the portal", it doesn't seem like a well designed web system...

II!:love: I received the notice of my change in status via email but had to check the portal to see it

Congrats @hammy2016! when were you complete? also is it vitals that they update or the secondary itself?

I am currently writing my secondary for OSU and I am interested in the Primary Care track. Is that a program that we had to specifically apply for on amcas or do we just write about why we would like to placed in it?

I am currently writing my secondary for OSU and I am interested in the Primary Care track. Is that a program that we had to specifically apply for on amcas or do we just write about why we would like to placed in it?
latter.

WTF after I submitted my secondary all my apostrophes changes to ?s and it said my payment was wrong. Did that happen to anyone else?

Don't copy and paste from word. That should fix the ? to apostrophe problem. My payment went through though, so I can't help you with that :/

WTF after I submitted my secondary all my apostrophes changes to ?s and it said my payment was wrong. Did that happen to anyone else?
did it to one of mine, but I had a few friends who had every punctuation changed to a question mark.

Hey! Current M4 here - I'm somebody who started with the new curriculum. Went to undergrad here as well so if you have any questions about Columbus, OSU, feel free to ask!

Ugh I'm so bummed. This was my top choice and my essays look ridiculous now.

I doubt they will hold it against you. It's a common formatting error that happens to a lot of people. When you copy and paste from a text editor, it encodes a rich text character that cannot be read by their plaintext text box. So, it converts it to ?.

For future readers, I suggest pasting it into notepad and then going through and retype all of the apostrophes and quotations. When you retype them, notepad will use the plaintext version and it shouldn't cause issues. For Mac users, use TextEdit but make sure to convert to plaintext (under format) - I think the keys you can press to do this are Shift+Command+T.

Good luck!

I doubt they will hold it against you. It's a common formatting error that happens to a lot of people. When you copy and paste from a text editor, it encodes a rich text character that cannot be read by their plaintext text box. So, it converts it to ?.

For future readers, I suggest pasting it into notepad and then going through and retype all of the apostrophes and quotations. When you retype them, notepad will use the plaintext version and it shouldn't cause issues. For Mac users, use TextEdit but make sure to convert to plaintext (under format) - I think the keys you can press to do this are Shift+Command+T.

Good luck!
When you paste text into the text box, if you right click, there is an option to paste as plain text. I always use that and it hasn't failed me yet. I use Google Chrome browser though.

I feel like the only in-stater without an II at OSU right now. So many of my friends seem to be getting II. OSU whyyyyyy

I feel like the only in-stater without an II at OSU right now. So many of my friends seem to be getting II. OSU whyyyyyy
I just graduated from OSU, and no II. Not a fun time.

I just graduated from OSU, and no II. Not a fun time.
Also a graduate from here and even worked for someone on the admissions committee with no II.. come on tOSU love us back!!!!

Yeah I know I feel like there have been more OOS than IS and only a few from OSU

I'm in the same boat as y'all! There's still ample time in the cycle, so I hope patience pays off...